Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185109 times)

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:19 pm »

Literally only give them that one creature. What warlord posted uses the creature ID, not a creature class, so its only selecting that particular creature. Delete every other thing giving them access to other animals, and they wont have any others.

Thanks for the intervention: I tried to remove [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] and the lookalikes, [USE_ANY_PET_RACE], [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS], [SCOUT], the demon civilization leader as it gives them animals too in world gen, they still have subterranean biomes and cave critters tamed from the beginning (including tamed spiders, olms and other [CHILD:0] creatures).
Obviously they don't have the [COMMON_DOMESTIC_...] series.
I even tried removing access to the animal trainer job.

They still have more animals than any entity I wrote (they have wetlands, all of the subterraneans and almost any freshwater biome, they are full of life even with the [ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS: MAMMALS] token: often they sport three crocs species at embark, countless birds, often turkeys.

I fear that editing all of the creatures raws to give them at least one [ANIMAL_CLASS] to be forbidden is my best bet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:41:58 pm by Mediterraneo »
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2018, 10:46:51 pm »

How would I go about creating a more hostile world, without making things like evil weather more common and without creating some super evil demon entity? I don't really feel like waging war against the elves/humans/dwarves either.

Basically, I'd like to get more Kobolds and Goblins to show up. I've recently played two fortresses for a couple years each, but haven't had any sieges, ambushes or even lone thieves/snatchers... How would I go about making these two "evil" entities more successful in worldgen and more common around the map without completely crushing the "good guys"?

My last worldgen I popped in a few hundred caves extra because I was disappointed about not having any kobolds show up in my first game, but still ended up with none...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:48:42 pm by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2018, 11:27:55 pm »

How would I go about creating a more hostile world, without making things like evil weather more common and without creating some super evil demon entity? I don't really feel like waging war against the elves/humans/dwarves either.

Basically, I'd like to get more Kobolds and Goblins to show up. I've recently played two fortresses for a couple years each, but haven't had any sieges, ambushes or even lone thieves/snatchers... How would I go about making these two "evil" entities more successful in worldgen and more common around the map without completely crushing the "good guys"?

My last worldgen I popped in a few hundred caves extra because I was disappointed about not having any kobolds show up in my first game, but still ended up with none...
Whenever you make a new world check it in Legends Viewer for exactly what's going on with goblins. Then adjust settings and try again. Embark near to goblins and you'll get sieges (after the population 80 trigger is reached, of course).

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 16, 2018, 11:28:11 pm »

For goblins, you could try giving them steel, making them bigger, making them stronger/tougher/more agile, or any number of combat improvements, while also removing the [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK] tags and/or removing their biological immunity, to prevent them from multiplying out of control in worldgen. This way, they won't destroy absolutely everything during generation through sheer numbers (which they already tend to do if the history runs long enough), but also makes their sieges much more dangerous.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2018, 03:10:46 pm »

Thanks for the intervention:

Could you copy-paste the entity raws here so we can see what else might be going on?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2018, 10:09:39 pm »

So, item descriptions.

Are they hardcoded, or can I write new ones for custom/new items?

I'm working on a weapons/armor/materials overhaul, and would really like to have descriptions for the items I'm adding, but can't for the life of me find where I would define/alter this.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2018, 11:27:49 pm »

So, item descriptions.

I'm working on a weapons/armor/materials overhaul, and would really like to have descriptions for the items I'm adding, but can't for the life of me find where I would define/alter this.
IIRC only tools (item_tool.txt) have item descriptions. (Look for [DESCRIPTION] tag.)

I'm pretty sure you can redefine all weapons as tools (since tools also have weapon-relevant tags like [TWO_HANDED] AND [ATTACK]), but I'm not sure for armor.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2018, 11:39:12 pm »

Ahhh, I think i'm seeing the DFhack description and assuming it's pulling data from the game somewhere. I guess that's a dfhack feature then.

edit: Yep, there it is: item-descriptions.lua. It helps to bark up the right tree apparently.
edit2: Also, for anyone else wondering, you'd build a "more-item-descriptions.lua to add or overwrite descriptions.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:15:39 am by Nihilist »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 18, 2018, 07:15:04 am »

So, item descriptions.

IIRC only tools (item_tool.txt) have item descriptions. (Look for [DESCRIPTION] tag.)

I'm pretty sure you can redefine all weapons as tools (since tools also have weapon-relevant tags like [TWO_HANDED] AND [ATTACK]), but I'm not sure for armor.

I've been meaning to try this, but my biggest concern is whether or not dwarves will equip them properly (esp. militia, but also picks/axes).
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2018, 04:19:43 pm »

last time I tried messing around with tools, I could get the miltia to equip them, but civs wouldn't unless it was job related. The bigger issue was that they seemed to break much faster.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 18, 2018, 07:06:49 pm »

Will adding a Liaison position to an entity let me make requests for their caravans? Also, can I add that while keeping the procedurally generated positions or will I have to specify all positions specifically?
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 18, 2018, 07:13:47 pm »

last time I tried messing around with tools, I could get the miltia to equip them, but civs wouldn't unless it was job related. The bigger issue was that they seemed to break much faster.

So job-related mining pick / woodcutting axe tools are a thing, then? That sounds encouraging, especially if you want a civ with no battle axes that can still cut wood (in fort mode). The durability thing could be useful too.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 18, 2018, 07:18:09 pm »

For other civilisations like the humans and elves with typically mutual relations [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] will make them appear and negotiate trade agreements with you in which you can apply your demands for their products.

Will adding a Liaison position to an entity let me make requests for their caravans? Also, can I add that while keeping the procedurally generated positions or will I have to specify all positions specifically?

Copy pasting wouldn't really work out that well, i advise you do not and instead read up about it on the DFwiki

Here is a custom noble i made, to sort of RP with human guilds (even though its just a title)
Code: [Select]
        [POSITION:GUILD_DIPLOMAT]
        [NAME:guild diplomat:guild diplomats]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS]
                [RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_INTRODUCTIONS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_PEACE_AGREEMENTS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_TOPIC_AGREEMENTS]
                [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[ELECTED]
[PRECEDENCE:80]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:7:0:1]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[DEMAND_MAX:3]
[REQUIRED_BOXES:3]
[REQUIRED_CABINETS:2]
[REQUIRED_RACKS:2]
[REQUIRED_STANDS:2]
[REQUIRED_OFFICE:1500]
[REQUIRED_BEDROOM:1500]
[REQUIRED_DINING:1500]

So job-related mining pick / woodcutting axe tools are a thing, then? That sounds encouraging, especially if you want a civ with no battle axes that can still cut wood (in fort mode). The durability thing could be useful too.

Axes are hardcoded to require a certain amount of sharpness to function at the job they do, so even displacing the axe object may end up with still requiring the activity's new item to be sharp.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 18, 2018, 07:42:27 pm »

Axes are hardcoded to require a certain amount of sharpness to function at the job they do, so even displacing the axe object may end up with still requiring the activity's new item to be sharp.

I think the point is to allow civs to cut down trees with their axes, but not to fight with them....

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 18, 2018, 07:44:22 pm »

I kept the same default name for them. I don't know what would happen if you tried to make the Civ Job version a different part name.
But I think any axe skill item works.

I think the point is to allow civs to cut down trees with their axes, but not to fight with them....

That was the impression I got as well. I'm doing something similar with my in progress mod, specifically, I've made the "battle axe" a smaller "woodcutting axe" and just decreased the velocity mod to make it less deadly. It'll have problems again an armored target, but against clothes/flesh it does well.

Edit:

Question, Are Quick, Heavy and Wild attacks used in Fortress mode?  I'm working on weapon design and that would increase the range of momentum that I need to account for.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:08:33 am by Nihilist »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 120