Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185077 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2018, 01:13:57 am »

Can anyone help me with this? I am trying to make a few extra stones to be useable for rock crafting  (like obsidian), but the result ends up them using wood instead of the defined/specified stone...

This is what I have:

[INORGANIC:CINNABAR]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   [MELTING_POINT:11044]
   [BOILING_POINT:16000]
   [IMPACT_YIELD:50000]
   [IMPACT_FRACTURE:100000]
   [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:290]
   [COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:50000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:100000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:290]
   [TENSILE_YIELD:80000]
   [TENSILE_FRACTURE:140000]
   [TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:180]
   [TORSION_YIELD:80000]
   [TORSION_FRACTURE:140000]
   [TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:180]
   [SHEAR_YIELD:80000]
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:140000]
   [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:180]
   [BENDING_YIELD:80000]
   [BENDING_FRACTURE:140000]
   [BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:180]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cinnabar][DISPLAY_COLOR:4:7:1][TILE:131]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SHALE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:QUARTZITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[IS_STONE]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8100]

[INORGANIC:COBALTITE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   [MELTING_POINT:13600]
   [BOILING_POINT:16000]
   [IMPACT_YIELD:70000]
   [IMPACT_FRACTURE:130000]
   [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:290]
   [COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:70000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:130000]
   [COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:290]
   [TENSILE_YIELD:70000]
   [TENSILE_FRACTURE:100000]
   [TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:250]
   [TORSION_YIELD:70000]
   [TORSION_FRACTURE:100000]
   [TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:250]
   [SHEAR_YIELD:70000]
   [SHEAR_FRACTURE:100000]
   [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:250]
   [BENDING_YIELD:70000]
   [BENDING_FRACTURE:100000]
   [BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:250]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cobaltite][DISPLAY_COLOR:1:7:1][TILE:134]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_ALL:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[SOLID_DENSITY:6295]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[IS_STONE]

(and 4 others)

This seems to work out, but the dwarfs grab wood instead of the specified stone.. even when I press d to specify the stone, they still grab the wood..

anyone know the problem to this?

I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2018, 09:27:11 am »

Maybe too high density (8 tons per cubic meter) or 10k edge puts them in "so fancy, use only for obsidian swords" category.
Try 3200 edge. Obsidian's 20k edge is better than iron's.
Also check the "Stone" menu where stones are divided into red (restricted to certain tasks) and green.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:29:34 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2018, 02:22:20 am »

Maybe too high density (8 tons per cubic meter) or 10k edge puts them in "so fancy, use only for obsidian swords" category.
Try 3200 edge. Obsidian's 20k edge is better than iron's.
Also check the "Stone" menu where stones are divided into red (restricted to certain tasks) and green.

Truthfully, I don't understand how that causes them to grab wood instead of the defined ore xd but I will try after I solve another problem
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2018, 08:47:40 pm »

Stone swords are less swords and more those Aztec razor clubs, they are made from wood and stone. Did you watch long enough to see if they grabbed the stone too?

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2018, 12:30:31 pm »

Yeh, they went straight to the wood and brought it back to use it...

my original plan was to just have some weaker version of weapons for the player till they get copper or better, the original stats of them were:
(using the DF Wiki sheet layout):

Cinnabar          ?    8.1     50      100      290     80      140      180     Only available for Stone Weapons.
Cobaltite         ?    6.295   70      130      290     70      100      250     Only available for Stone Weapons.
Petrified wood    ?    2.2     90      190      190     90      250      150     Only available for Stone Weapons.
Olivine           ?    3.32    40      90       110     50      100      130     Only available for Stone Weapons.
Serpentine        ?    2.45    90      140      210     80      110      230     Only available for Stone Weapons.
Selenite          ?    2.3     33      90       150     40      80       120     Only available for Stone Weapons.

but that plan went out the window, i'll probly remove this feature if I cant figure it out, or find some better version of it..

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2018, 01:45:03 pm »

So they didnt grab the appropriate stone as well as wood? Or did you want to make a weapon out of exclusively stone? Because you can use reactions and give the stones a reaction class they call on, to churn out any weapon made solely of those stones.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:04 pm »

Is there a way to make an material unable to be melted in the smelter?

I'm trying to restrict access to the new metals in my mod, I know that I could restrict trade alltogether using the [SECRET] tag, but that would also prevent them from wearing equipment made from it, which I don't want (not very fair if you can make fancy new metals but your enemies can't wear it).

I'm also assuming there is no way to make a material melt into a different one? At least not without excluding it from standard melting and making a custom reaction for it.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2018, 05:08:42 pm »

So they didnt grab the appropriate stone as well as wood? Or did you want to make a weapon out of exclusively stone? Because you can use reactions and give the stones a reaction class they call on, to churn out any weapon made solely of those stones.
Yeah reaction classes help quite a bit.
Few years ago I looked up what stones the stone-age humans used and added stuff:

I'm also assuming there is no way to make a material melt into a different one? At least not without excluding it from standard melting and making a custom reaction for it.
I guess every metal is able to to be melted in the smelter. More at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Melt_item
Possibly not having [IS_METAL] in the inorganic, would prevent melting. The metal_template adds that tag.
Mineral: remove the METAL_ORE tag, then it can't be smelted.

Yup custom reaction, alchemy, would be the way to go, changing some metal into some other metal. Maybe require some rare catalyst like diamond, that is not consumed in the alchemy.
(also nice to have grind rock salt mineral to edible plant leaf, "we are a salt mine")
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:21:29 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2018, 08:14:56 pm »

I guess every metal is able to to be melted in the smelter. More at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Melt_item
Possibly not having [IS_METAL] in the inorganic, would prevent melting. The metal_template adds that tag.
Mineral: remove the METAL_ORE tag, then it can't be smelted.

Yup custom reaction, alchemy, would be the way to go, changing some metal into some other metal. Maybe require some rare catalyst like diamond, that is not consumed in the alchemy.
(also nice to have grind rock salt mineral to edible plant leaf, "we are a salt mine")

Wouldn't that cause a lot of secondary issues? IE break [METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS], metal based armor assinging, and intentionally AI armor valuation? IIRC they won't make armor out of anything but cloth, leather or metal.

It's all work around-able, but I feel like that would create a lot more hassle than it's worth. It's not like it's not a vanilla balance issue either.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 14, 2018, 01:20:36 pm »

I'm not quite sure this is a modding question; I'm working on a tileset. But I've found that doors don't follow a consistent color scheme: For example, a door made of cinnabar will have its foreground and background swapped (the door has a red background and a white foreground, the reverse of cinnabar as a material) but a door made of, say, mica just has a a black background and a white foreground, despite the material being dark-grey-on-light-grey. Is there any way around this? It makes it hard to draw a convincing door that works with both color schemes.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 14, 2018, 01:23:18 pm »

Dwarf Fortress uses curses, which means that tile backgrounds can't be bolded (i.e. made lighter than the usual color), but foregrounds can. Not really something you can work around without DFHack.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 15, 2018, 12:31:35 am »

Dwarf Fortress hasn't used curses in 8 years, and backgrounds can use bolded tiles by simply adding 8 to the color.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 15, 2018, 12:39:12 am »

Really? I was under the impression that it used the same color system as curses, since the wiki says that the foreground brightness can be specified in a color triplet, but the brightness of the background is always zero. If that trick works, I'm deeply saddened that no-one told me that before....

Also, someone(s) should finally try to get the wiki up-to-date, since the sheer amount of misinformation on there is very frustrating.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 15, 2018, 12:46:27 am »

I learned that on the wiki...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 15, 2018, 12:54:24 am »

I learned that on the wiki...

So I just went to check the wiki again, to make sure, and apparently there is a section describing that trick right after the "Color values" section. Which I have missed every one of the ~10 times I went there.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 120