Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82369 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #600 on: August 09, 2018, 09:11:19 pm »

Maybe we can compromise with the skyranger? It seems the second choice of many.

I am willing to change my vote to Sky Ranger as long Brain wave is canceled.

We have to beat our enemy, not turn into them.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 09, 2018, 09:29:06 pm »

So, the enemy is an authoritarian regime with psychic soldiers who are either all amazing individuals with super senses or, if thematics are proper, are possibly linked mentally and we never got that memo and just think they have super senses.... and we, a democracy, are trying to link all of our soldiers together via mind linking...

I sense a flaw in thematics...

I'm honestly happier with literally anything that isn't the brainwash, erm, brainwave, for a few very obvious reasons. Besides it seems like us trying to match them instead of finding a way to better them.
My intention is explicitly to become the Borg. But, you know, democracy Borg.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:49 pm »

If people are planning on doing something like switching their votes to a third option, you can be free of the worry that I'd immediately close the votes as soon as the tie breaks. I'll wait for a steady consensus.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 09, 2018, 09:47:55 pm »

Quote from: Voteteam
(2)ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": NUKE9.13 Tyrant Leviathan
- (0) but rename it ME-EAP-63 "Steel Rain":
(1) ME-EAP-63 "Firestorm": Andrea
(4) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla, andrea
(4) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happery, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe
[/quote]

Since Waffles said it that’s my other option. If Sky Ranger wins, good.

But no Brain Wave. : Tries to keep his word.:

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 11, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »

I feel like pointing out that radio requires you to go through the nerve/muscle middleman that is your voice, whereas Brainwave allows communication as fast as you can think (which is pretty darn fast). It also allows basic visual (and maybe audio? Can't recall if that's in the design or not) transmission as well, another incredible advantage.

The Ubergun is just another excuse for their SEEMs to alert them to incoming projectiles, and can never be as much of an advantage as a blanket improvement to our infantry.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 11, 2018, 04:43:16 pm »

(3)ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": NUKE9.13 Tyrant Leviathan, Andrea
(0) ME-EAP-63 "Firestorm":
(4) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla, andrea
Lets see if getting skyranger as a second option works... Although I can't really pull back support from Brainwave else the Ubergun wins. I guess it matches with Leviathan's own double vote.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 11, 2018, 06:41:40 pm »

Not a fan of double voting. But still, it's my second choice.
(4)ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": NUKE9.13 Tyrant Leviathan, Andrea, Jilladilla
(3) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, andrea

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 11, 2018, 06:59:15 pm »

Not a fan of double voting. But still, it's my second choice.
(4)ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": NUKE9.13 Tyrant Leviathan, Andrea, Jilladilla
(3)ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happery,  Piratejoe

There. Took my vote off and so no longer double vote. Just hope this works.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 12, 2018, 02:05:51 pm »

Hey Jilla, you could go back to your first vote now instead :P

I think I said this in Discord earlier, but dropping small teams of special-forces-type guys with a super-fast and expensive transport isn't going to be effective, because the enemy's units are flatly superior---we have no special-forces units TO drop behind enemy lines or whatever, and the Skyranger probably won't be large or cheap enough to use for general logistics.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:06 pm »

(5)ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": NUKE9.13 Tyrant Leviathan, Andrea, Jilladilla, FallacyofUrist
(3) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happery, Piratejoe
I don't mind double voting if I have to.

Skyranger is also my second choice. Do note it can drop Grizzlies, which are about to become Expensive.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 12, 2018, 04:26:47 pm »

The problem with the Skyranger is, once again, the fact that if it's Very Expensive (it can go to the edge of SPACE, it'll almost certainly be pretty far up the expense brackets), it'll only be useful for specops deployments, and we don't have specops capable of matching a regular enemy infantry squad, unless it's composed entirely of Grizzlies, and even then it's kind of risky. Far better to upgrade every single soldier we have and THEN work on deploying elite units and super-fast transports for said units.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 12, 2018, 04:50:13 pm »

The problem with the Skyranger is, once again, the fact that if it's Very Expensive (it can go to the edge of SPACE, it'll almost certainly be pretty far up the expense brackets), it'll only be useful for specops deployments, and we don't have specops capable of matching a regular enemy infantry squad, unless it's composed entirely of Grizzlies, and even then it's kind of risky. Far better to upgrade every single soldier we have and THEN work on deploying elite units and super-fast transports for said units.
That is a good point.

Let's do the Ubergun instead. Mass destruction would work better than the Skyranger, yes?

I really think we could do the Brainwave's goal better with just a radio. Without getting Very Hard difficulty.

Heck...

Here. I think I can do the basic goal of Brainwave easier and cheaper.

ME-TACS-63 "Helmets-Up Display"/HUD:
The Merethian Tactical System 63 or the HUD as we're calling it is the latest and greatest innovation of our design division...
~~~
Naw. The Ubergun would still be better. I'm sure we could do a HUD much easier than Brainwave and it would be just as beneficial and even more so as we could integrate miniaturized Birdbrains for enemy targeting.

(4) ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": NUKE9.13 Tyrant Leviathan, Andrea, Jilladilla
(3) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happery, Piratejoe
Let's do something that actually kills our enemy. If you're after a communications design, do some sort of HUD, without the ambition of the Brainwave. I think you could put an improved radio in every Bear Armor, along with ammo counts, heat vision, and enemy targeting(maybe combined with Shrikes) with a design, much easier than the Brainwave. I might vote that. The Brainwave is just too impractical.

You make a good point about the Skyranger which is why I'm switching back to Ubergun though I'll still vote Skyranger if I have to to stop the Brainwave from winning.

It won't help us offensively. It makes our troops better coordinated when we lack the power to use that. It'd be like... remember when we deployed the ORACLE-A? We had an advantage but we couldn't make use of it because we were too weak. Let's get a superweapon first.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 12, 2018, 04:57:08 pm »

How are you not comprehending the benefits of instantaneous transmission? No time wasted actually pronouncing syllables, but rather communication at the speed of thought. Followed, of course, by the sharing of sightlines and all that fun stuff---you don't have to ask if your buddy can see what you're seeing if you can just show him from your eyes.

A HUD is useful, a radio is necessary for the design, but neither one is as powerful as Brainwave. The Brainwave is the next step in using CAT---it's just more bells and whistles for the CAT system. We tap more of the brain and send the information over the radio. Not hard, I imagine. Neurogel makes that process more efficient.

I'd be surprised if Brainwave is not Hard or Very Hard, but I don't think it should be Impossible or whatever that equivalent difficult rating was in this AR. It will, however, give us a benefit equivalent to its difficulty. Possibly even a slightly disproportionate benefit, given how important improved communication is in a combat scenario.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 12, 2018, 05:16:07 pm »

How are you not comprehending the benefits of instantaneous transmission? No time wasted actually pronouncing syllables, but rather communication at the speed of thought. Followed, of course, by the sharing of sightlines and all that fun stuff---you don't have to ask if your buddy can see what you're seeing if you can just show him from your eyes.
I have to wonder if we're royally screwing ourselves over here. If we do this, we're mind-linking our soldiers together. Our enemies are psychics that can read minds(which Chief confirmed). If they evolve to a psychic attack... well, one shot takes out a lot more of our guys than they were expecting.

Also, this makes us better tactically/strategically(though honestly a radio would do the job just as well) but what we really need is more firepower. I would love a radio revision, though.

A HUD is useful, a radio is necessary for the design, but neither one is as powerful as Brainwave. The Brainwave is the next step in using CAT---it's just more bells and whistles for the CAT system. We tap more of the brain and send the information over the radio. Not hard, I imagine. Neurogel makes that process more efficient.
Brainwave is more powerful, yeah, but not necessarily just as useful.

Also... vulnerability two: radio jamming.

I'd be surprised if Brainwave is not Hard or Very Hard, but I don't think it should be Impossible or whatever that equivalent difficult rating was in this AR. It will, however, give us a benefit equivalent to its difficulty. Possibly even a slightly disproportionate benefit, given how important improved communication is in a combat scenario.
Problem three: what if we fail? This is shooting for high difficulty. With a proportionate penalty. We need to capitalize on our advantage. If we roll something like 2+2(around average) that turns into 2+2-2 which is not a good design. At all. That would not capitalize on our advantage(and even if we rolled 4 and 4 it still wouldn't help as much).

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 12, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »

Holy incompetence, man.

Problem 1: So you think that SOMEHOW one of these guys is going to mind-hack several people through a RADIO LINK that can only feed voice and image data into the brain's processing centers? Furthermore, they can't even find out what radio channels we're using, because brain wave data is probably going to look like random noise to pretty much anyone used to radio signals.

Problem 2: Jamming doesn't cripple modern radio sets and we're using MAD tech anyway, we're fine on that front (if they even try to start that countermeasures war). Brainwave being more powerful IMMEDIATELY makes it ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more useful. I don't really want to cover all the concepts even though you apparently don't know them, but suffice to say that the more coordinated your soldiers are the better. With everyone in Bear Armor and using Velociraptors, firepower is NOT a problem. A radio is FAR less useful than visual and "audio" transmission without the wait time involved in speaking words. We can react INSTANTLY. As fast as human thought.

Problem 3: And yet the Skyranger isn't going to be far behind, given that it's a very advanced aircraft. And even if it succeeds BEAUTIFULLY, I do not believe that it will have a good enough effect on the battlefield. The supergun is flipping laughable, man. Do you want to be Hitler? Because this is how you act like Hitler.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 74