Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82371 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #585 on: August 08, 2018, 03:49:34 pm »

And being ambitious seems to bite people in the ass with these arms Race deals. The further tech you are from what you know, it screws up.

We know how to make things big, that kill people. Why the Uberfun seems more up our alley.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 08, 2018, 03:50:23 pm »

Y'know, that is a point. We could achieve better coordination simply by revising our radios to be better and cheaper. And Brainwave will likely be Hard/Very Hard- which would be fine, except now isn't the time for stuff that might not provide results- we need to hold the Mountains, which means we need something that works.
I don't want to do the Ubergun though. It's dumb and inelegant.

Eh, I'm going to move my vote over to the Skyranger. A VTOL transport would be helpful in the mountains.

Quote from: Voteteam
(1) ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": NUKE9.13
- (0) but rename it ME-EAP-63 "Steel Rain":
(1) ME-EAP-63 "Firestorm": Andrea
(4) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla, andrea
(4) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happery, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 08, 2018, 04:06:17 pm »

Brainwave is a couple steps higher than radios, and most importantly opens the road to some very good things, lile the COMMANDER proposal I posted earlier or computer targeting assist built in the soldiers. Better control of our mechs and stuff.

Anyway, I don't see how we have more experience building things on that scale than we do in cybernetics.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 08, 2018, 04:10:19 pm »

Brainwave is a couple steps higher than radios, and most importantly opens the road to some very good things, lile the COMMANDER proposal I posted earlier or computer targeting assist built in the soldiers. Better control of our mechs and stuff.

Anyway, I don't see how we have more experience building things on that scale than we do in cybernetics.
He's not voting the Ubergun(le sad). He's voting the Skyranger. Which is ironically one of your designs.

Brainwave is a couple steps higher than radios
Maybe, but would it do a better job, and how much? And how likely is it to succeed compared to radios?

We need to press our advantage and hold the Mountains. Holding the Mountains gets us an Ore. And you know what that does. Brainwave enhances our communication but doesn't improve our fighting power. Better communications are nice but I don't want to spend our design on that when we could do a superweapon.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 08, 2018, 04:14:23 pm »

We could just go for the simple edge and develop better armour-piercing...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 08, 2018, 04:15:24 pm »

I don't think we have significant enough armour piercing problems to justify a design.

I am aware that NUKE was voting for skyranger, I was addressing multiple posts there.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 08, 2018, 04:20:02 pm »

I am aware that NUKE was voting for skyranger, I was addressing multiple posts there.
Okay, cool.

We may have more experience in cybernetics than really big artillery, but Brainwave is still a lot more ambitious. And not all that useful. How will it help us press our advantage? At best, it might counter SEEMs somewhat. We have an entire army(plus an enemy artillery advantage) to deal with, plus whatever they're cooking up in their Black Chamber!

The Ubergun will let us wipe out enemy positions as indicated by our Earth Ear tech, and should increase our strategic advantage.

And the Skyranger would heavily increase mobility in the mountains and desert and everywhere else really. It can drop off Grizzlies, which will be really useful once we get that Ore.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 08, 2018, 04:38:06 pm »

My main reasons for Ubergun

1: It’s a super long range gun capable of reducing targets (units and buildings) to nothing. With ease.

2: It’s a super Weapon, meaning national pride

3: Could give them psionics a reason to wet themselves.

4: I remember Wands Race. If we develop a super long range army killer thing. It will be our version of a nuclear arms Race, with us at a advantage. And then our enemy will be trying to make up for it, wasting their designs to catch up. While we keep turning them to meat mist and work around them with other designs we actually want.

Honestly I either see this or Sky Rangers.

The Fire Storm is a waste because it can be shot down and just kills people, the ubergun does it in style with no threat of being taken out.

The Sky Ranger ( really x Com nerds? I swear when I quote something from popular fiction I get shamed)

That vtol troop carrier sounds really useful. Much more than Fire Storm as we can keep ground via rapid deploying troops. ( will only pick that if others stop their super projects and focus on that.) so for now...

Still sticking with the gun.

Why use a scalpel to cut a enemy tenderly to death, when a sledge hammer to the skull is much faster.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 08, 2018, 11:26:10 pm »

I don't feel that the ubergun would be that helpful in the mountains. Devastating when it can hit, yes. But how many blindspots would those mountains create? This isn't something that'd be mobile, so it can't reposition in order to fire into those nooks and crannies like more regular artillery. Now, would it help get them off our plains? Sure. But the Mountains are probably the second worst theater for ludicrous-long range artillery (worst being the hypothetical Underground Theater, of course). And the Mountains is the theater we want to protect the most.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 09, 2018, 12:38:36 am »

Maybe we can compromise with the skyranger? It seems the second choice of many.

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 09, 2018, 07:18:15 am »

Ubergun in mountains...
Shells filled with weird substance that when contacts atmosphere evaporates, changing local weather to acid rains?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 09, 2018, 12:57:28 pm »

Ubergun in mountains...
Shells filled with weird substance that when contacts atmosphere evaporates, changing local weather to acid rains?
A) isn't your "weird substance" just sulfur trioxide
B) Do you have any magical S3O shells this turn? Because the rest of us don't.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:59:30 pm by Maximum Spin »

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 09, 2018, 05:04:13 pm »

Wild imagination, not suggestion.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 09, 2018, 05:28:02 pm »

I don't feel that the ubergun would be that helpful in the mountains. Devastating when it can hit, yes. But how many blindspots would those mountains create? This isn't something that'd be mobile, so it can't reposition in order to fire into those nooks and crannies like more regular artillery. Now, would it help get them off our plains? Sure. But the Mountains are probably the second worst theater for ludicrous-long range artillery (worst being the hypothetical Underground Theater, of course). And the Mountains is the theater we want to protect the most.
Can't fire into nooks and crannies that well, but it doesn't need to because it's so dang powerful(and the fighting's at the border anyways). A miss will create deadly avalanches. Simply firing in their general area should cause total annihilation.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 09, 2018, 05:44:50 pm »

So, the enemy is an authoritarian regime with psychic soldiers who are either all amazing individuals with super senses or, if thematics are proper, are possibly linked mentally and we never got that memo and just think they have super senses.... and we, a democracy, are trying to link all of our soldiers together via mind linking...

I sense a flaw in thematics...

I'm honestly happier with literally anything that isn't the brainwash, erm, brainwave, for a few very obvious reasons. Besides it seems like us trying to match them instead of finding a way to better them.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 74