Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82280 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #315 on: March 08, 2018, 03:51:52 pm »

ME-MV-61 "Makeshift": What? Who's there?
Oh, right! We need to do something. Okay, so, uh, take all the guns off of the cataphract, gut the hull, stick a crane on, and call it a Merchant Vessel. Done. Can we go back to watching Hell Pit Bear Duels?

Quote from: Votes
Makeshift: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2018, 06:23:55 am »

Makeshift: (2) NUKE9.13, Andrea
[/quote]

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2018, 11:10:23 am »

Makeshift: (2.5) NUKE9.13, Andrea, Maximum Spin

I'm fine with this and it'll get chief to quit bitching. :P

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2018, 03:10:26 am »

ME-MV-61 "Makeshift": What? Who's there?
Oh, right! We need to do something. Okay, so, uh, take all the guns off of the cataphract, gut the hull, stick a crane on, and call it a Merchant Vessel. Done. Can we go back to watching Hell Pit Bear Duels?
Revision: ME-MV-61 "Makeshift"
(Trivial) (3+2)+2 = 7: Superior Craftsmanship

For your information, no, we did not spend "government resources" to host an "overly grand Bear-Armor arena." Quite frankly, the assumption is insulting. The fact that people saw Bear troopers fighting each other in unarmed combat in the deepest parts of MAGMA is completely coincidental with our requisiton for large amounts of paint, construction/digging equipment, and bear armor. The posters depicting this alleged duel hung up in the Design Division are also a complete coincidence - it's not our fault that we have creative-types in the building.

What did we do?
Uh. Right.
The ME-MV-61 "Makeshift" is a boat. For cargo. We told some workers to take off as many things as they can before the future crew would start rioting. It technically has enough beds, and is technically operable. It can also hold cargo. 2 TC to be exact. We even added cool little thingies to allow for secure storage of large-scale armor suits, like the Grizzly Armor. Which we'll definitely finish one day. Right?

Anyways, paychecks please.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Winter 1961 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2018, 06:55:57 am »

Cost changes:

Sarukh :                                            Expensive -> Cheap
ICE Thrower :                                    Expensive -> Cheap
ME-GVM-61 "Penguin" :                      Expensive -> Cheap
UT-60 Excavator :                              Expensive -> Cheap
UFAF-F-41 Lightning Streak :            Very Expensive -> Expensive
ME-LRMA-60 "Blizzard" :                   Very Expensive -> Expensive
UFN-CA-41 Catraphract" :                 Very Expensive -> Expensive
ME-DDG-61 "Chillwind" :                   Expensive -> Cheap

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2018, 11:15:19 pm »

Combat Report: Spring 1962

Mountains/Desert
Our soldiers advanced here, but it may only be because Aratam couldn't fully deploy their armor in the mountains. Our generals are practically begging us to do something about this.

The Plains
The upper brass is getting nervous about Aratam's advancing here. We don't have to worry too much, as Aratam's victory was bought via a temporary influx of resources. But still. Armored support!, scream our generals.

The +1 Ore from holding the mountains has not changed the expense of any designs, unfortunately.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Spring 1962 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #321 on: March 25, 2018, 03:41:49 am »

So, obviously we try last turn's design again.

...but I would like to argue that clearly the dice do not approve of the name, so we should consider changing it to something the dice might favour more. I hear that dice like prehistoric megafauna.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2018, 03:59:04 am »

Grizzly, take 2
We try again at the grizzly, with the same specifications as the last year. However, since hydraulics were found unreliable, we swap them out for electrogel motors. Effort is made to make electrogel rechargeable, so that the motors can be kept topped up by the GOFAST reactor.

Quote from: bears, bears everywhere
Grizzly take 2 (1): Andrea

I think it will not bump the difficulty level higher, since we already did some work on grizzly mechs. And if we succeed with rechargeable, it may be the breakthrough we needed to make bear armor useable by all our soldiers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:27:47 am by andrea »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2018, 07:31:35 am »

Something that bugged me about the original Grizzly (name aside) was the use of a full-sized Bumblebee as its cannon. The Bumblebee is 90mm. I feel that is too big for this mech. I would suggest downsizing it to 75mm, and including recoil dampeners.
Also, I'd say that making the Electrogel rechargeable is not optional if we want to use it in the motors. We can't be disassembling these things every few hours. Make it clear in the proposal that rechargeable Electrogel is critical. If we fear that would make this Hard (and decide we don't want to risk that), I'd say we'd need to find another solution to the propulsion problem.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2018, 08:28:03 am »

it is not critical, in the sense that if it turns too difficult in one go we can get a mostly compelte but not functional mech, then revise rechargeable electrogel. Would be a better result than to have the rechargeable electrogel, but not the mech, since we can't revise that. Of course, ideally we would get both and that is why both are included.

As for difficulty, I aim for Hard. I don't think we can go below that even without the electrogel-R.

As for the gun, I agree but I remember being outmatched on that by people who wanted the big gun. For heavy anti-tank duty, the rocket arm is plenty powerful, since it carries actual artillery tier rockets.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2018, 08:57:57 am »

Hmm. Yeah, that's true, we can always revise it in if need be.

Grizzly take 2 (2): Andrea, NUKE9.13

This should be Normal difficulty, since last time it was Hard, and we have learnt from our failures.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2018, 02:53:45 pm »

Grizzly take 2 (3): Andrea, NUKE9.13, Maximum Spin
regrizzle the grizzly

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2018, 09:58:32 am »

While armored support is all well and good... what if we neutralized vehicles entirely?

M.U.D:
Our Merethean Underfoot Destabilizer is the latest creation of the Division of Unusual Chemistry. Basically, it's a chemical that seeps into the ground and makes it very, very bad for vehicles. It turns the earth into a pseudo-quicksand that reacts depending on weight. Bare or Bear infantry? Fine. Tanks? Trapped in the quicksand. Which is understandably bad for the enemy. Reacts with ICE to form freezing quicksand, which is just as bad as it sounds.

Anywhere we can use ICE, we can use MUD. Or that's what we hope, anyway. In order of priority, we implement MUD in our Penguin missiles, our Sarukh rockets, our Blizzard missiles, and as anti-vehicle mines.
~~~
After some discord discussion, we've come up with this:

Adamantine/Mithril:
In the darkest, deepest, hottest depths of MAGMA, we've found a metal that laughs at what we know of the periodic table. It's element 140, and yet completely stable. Our physicists and chemists(those in the DUC) theorize something about an "island of stability". The rest just stare at our data and start hysterically laughing and crying.

It is, naturally, incredibly heavy. And, for some reason to do with the outer shell of electrons being so far from the nucleus, it forms incredibly strong bonds with other atoms. For the same reason, it is highly resistant to electrical currents. Using this element in its pure form would be obscenely expensive(until we dig MAGMA deeper, anyway), but an alloy made of Adamantine, steel, and a few other elements has excellent properties while only increasing cost by one ore as opposed to much more. We call this Mithril. While not as good as pure Adamantine, it greatly increases the toughness of any armor we make of it, and as an added bonus, is extremely(but not completely) non-conductive to electricity.

We can't exactly make everything using Mithril, so we've prioritized. Our first priority is our Bear Armor. Making our Bear Armor(and their shields) tougher and electricity resistant should really help out against Aratam's armor. Our second priority, if we have enough left over, is to use it on our Blizzards. Making them tougher and resistant to the enemy's storm missiles will help greatly in the air. Other than that, though... we have plans for Mithril and Adamantine. Big plans. Really big plans.

We've also found other unusual elements in the deepest depths of MAGMA. Not enough to use, unlike Adamantine, but enough that we're itching to dig deeper.

Quote from: Remember the Halberd's coilgun
Grizzly take 2 (3): Andrea, NUKE9.13, Maximum Spin
M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (1): FallacyofUrist
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:31:33 am by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2018, 11:32:37 am »

Quote from: Remember the Halberd's coilgun
Grizzly take 2 (2): Andrea, Maximum Spin
M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (2): FallacyofUrist, NUKE9.13
Yup, sounds good. As discussed, a problem with the Grizzly is that they already have a tank with a godsdamned 120mm coilgun on it. The Grizzly can't take a hit from that. So instead, we make Bear Troopers resistant to the Hydra and Tesla, and then they can get close enough to hose down their tanks with ICE, or shoot them with RPGs, or whatever.
We can still do the Grizzly later.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2018, 11:37:12 am »

Yup. Also, it'll be nice to have a super alloy to make the Grizzly out of.
Offense isn't really a problem for us, it's just defending against their offense that is.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74