Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82259 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Design Phase)
« Reply #300 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:38 pm »

Quote from: Boatbox
(1) - ME-ORT-61 "Gigapede" Off Road Train:  FallacyofUrist
(5) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, The Just Writer, Maximum Spin
(1) - ME-MTA-61 "Skyranger": Andrea

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(1) No Change: Jilladilla
(2) Dire Bear: The Just Writer, Andrea
(1) Arctodus: NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 19, 2018, 03:17:00 pm »

Quote from: Boatbox
(5) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, The Just Writer, Maximum Spin

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(1) Arctodus: NUKE9.13
(1) Cave Bear: Maximum Spin

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 19, 2018, 03:29:27 pm »

I am a neutral party in this war, but as a note. The armor explicitly struggles in your caves, therefore cave bear is not an accurate name.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:46:02 pm by Failbird105 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 19, 2018, 03:38:55 pm »

Quote from: Votebox

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(2) Arctodus: NUKE9.13, Madman
Down with things that are not actually real things!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 19, 2018, 03:48:45 pm »

Quote from: Votebox

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(2) No Change: Jilladilla, Andrea
(1) Dire Bear: The Just Writer

I like grizzly more than cave bear

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 19, 2018, 03:54:26 pm »

Quote from: Stoatbox

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(2) No Change: Jilladilla, Andrea
(1) Dire Bear: The Just Writer
(1) Gigantopithecus: Maximum Spin
Let's try something completely different, then.

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • I made my own avatar in From The Depths.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 19, 2018, 04:58:27 pm »

Quote from: Goatbox

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(3) No Change: Jilladilla, Andrea, The Just Writer
(0) Dire Bear:
I would prefer Dire Bear, but Grizzly is a close second.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 19, 2018, 05:01:17 pm »

Grizzly doesn't fit, though. It's not actually "bigger enough" for the 90mm-cannon-wielding mechanized infantryman of doom.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2018, 08:24:48 pm »

ME-MTA-61 "Skyranger"
This is a bulky plane, meant for military transport and civilian logistics.
The body is a boxy, rounded prism shape meant to maximize internal volume. the wings are very wide at the base, hosting 2 large ducted fans, fixed in the downward direction; after the fans, they are fairly narrower and foldable. Those wings are smaller than would normally be used on an heavy aircraft such as this, thanks to the help provided by the fans.
While fans help with lift,  horizontal speed is provided by a pair of engines, upsized from those present in the blizzard,  mounted on the sides of the body, near the rear. Those engines can be reoriented toward the ground, allowing vertical take off and landing capabilities, working together with the fans.

The hold should be able to carry several bear armor soldiers when used as a military transport and enough weight to provide 1 TC when used as a logistic craft.
For the purposes of providing support to the soldiers while landed, it also has 2 hardpoints which can be fitted either with an ICE thrower or with an autocannon.
I really don't think a revision for TC is going to cut it, which is why I'm moving my vote to the Skyranger.

Quote from: Goatbox
(0) - ME-ORT-61 "Gigapede" Off Road Train:
(2) - ME-MTA-61 "Skyranger": Andrea, FallacyofUrist

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(3) No Change: Jilladilla, Andrea, The Just Writer
(0) Dire Bear:

Think of the benefits!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2018, 06:38:54 pm »

I am working on a drawing of the Grizzly, in order to understand reasonable dimensions for it.
Here is the work in progress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Advice on style and engineering is welcome.

edit: updated
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:43:39 pm by andrea »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2018, 10:01:00 am »

And it is done, in the sense that it is complete. There are many things I would like to change, but it is complete. It can move arms, hand (fingers are fully mobile!), legs. I could show it walking if I took the time to manually do all the fine movement or add some motors in the joints.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 01, 2018, 06:13:01 pm »

and now, it moves!

Still a bit rigid on the joints, needs more work.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1961 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2018, 06:27:56 pm »

ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor'
Our lack of proper vehicular armor has been a detriment to our forces for far too long, and now we will address this with the Grizzly Armor. The Grizzly Armor can be more or less summed up as a vastly upscaled Bear Armor, to the point where we can no longer classify it as power armor, but as a vehicle instead; a Mechanized Assault Suit. The Grizzly is large, and its pilot resides in the control pod in the Suit's chest; it's large enough where it'll likely have to crouch to work its way through excavator tunnels. The pilot wears a special suit hooked up to the Suit's control system, translating the pilots movement to the Suit in a manner similar to the Bear Armor (although with 100% less worry of accidentally mulching the pilot's limbs!).
The arms are modular for their armament, although the 'off hand' arms usually have a hand on them; Arm modules include a Bumblebee; a massive Shield much like our Bear Troopers wield for the 'off hand'; and a smaller buckler to allow the arm to still perform semi-intricate tasks easily. All modules other than the Shield and Cannon possess a Velociraptor Autocannon or vehicle ICE Thrower as well for anti-infantry use. Said weapons modules come with an autoloader, meant to load shells in from frankly quite massive clips which themselves can be reloaded by the 'off hand'. There's also a rocket arm loaded with SARUKH compatible rockets as well.
Armor wise, the Grizzly features a heavy duty 100mm on the frontal chest plate with 75mm on the sides and rear of it, protecting the pilot well; and the rest of the Suit features 75mm frontal armor with 50mm side and rear. The armor is made from Manganese Steel much like the Tiger Armor and Bear Armor, which is naturally electrically resistant as well as incredibly hard. Of course, it also features an 'undersuit' consisting of a loose mesh of copper cables, leading down to contact the ground from the feat. This undersuit is to provide a path of minimal resistance in order to ground incoming lightning through a path that doesn't include the pilot or any delicate systems. The Shield module also possesses a similar defensive backing, routing the lightning down to a conductive spike on the bottom of the shield.
The powerplant of the Suit is a GOFAST using engine/generator for ease of refueling in the field, and the limbs are powered by a combination of electric engines and hydraulics.
Finally, their are no direct viewports, instead the 'head' of the Suit possesses the end of a fiberscope, the output of which is displayed towards a helmet the pilot wears; granting them vision while not having a glaring weakspot in the chest pod's defenses.
Design: ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor'
Hard: (1+2)-1 = 2: Utter Failure

It turns out that making what was essentially a greatly upscaled set of Bear Armor is much harder than originally expected.

The problem is mostly in the use of Electrogel. It was the main catalyst of our success in the Bear Armor project and essentially allowed us to skip plenty of effort. The Electrogel in the suit both served as a battery and a kind of neural system for the armor. With only minor tweaking and effort from us, pressure applied on Electrogel translates directly into the corresponding Electrogel-Motor movement, which uses that pressured Electrogel for its power. The more pressure applied, the more power sent to the motor.
It allowed for a (relatively) remarkably easy path towards power armor.
Now, with Grizzly Armor, Electrogel just wasn't as suited for the task. The greater power requirements and movement towards treating the suit as more of an independent vehicle instead of an extension of the pilot just didn't work as well as we would like, so we implemented a GOFAST engine powering electric motors in the limbs. We still used Electrogel in the pilot's "motion suit" in an attempt to capture movement, but that evidently didn't work too well. Conventional non-Electrogel motors simply don't work as needed and often than not grossly over-translate signals sent to them.

We got very little done in other parts of the project. All we have now for our efforts is a nonfunctioning prototype "skeleton" and motion suit. We intended to get the movement working first then branch out to finish the rest of the project, but that evidently didn't end up as desired. We can work off of this nonfunctioning skeleton or just try again later with knowledge of what not to do.

Still, though. The rest of the Design Division along with our counterparts in military command are excited about Grizzly Armor in the future. Especially when they know what the end product will look like, thanks to Engineer Andrea.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Winter 1961 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #313 on: March 04, 2018, 04:42:15 pm »

Instant pipelines
Instant roads concrete is fine. But this is a better version: it is impermeable to fluid and fairly resistant to flowing liquids. The use for it? simple! those changes mean that a tunnel dug and lines with instant concrete can, in a pinch, used as a pipeline to carry fluids, such as oil, in large quantities.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #314 on: March 04, 2018, 04:54:58 pm »

I don't have the patience to write these lengthy descriptions of what amounts to a simple technological concept, obviously, but I'm suggesting we develop a larger cargo-rocket system based on the Sarukh.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74