Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60740 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #495 on: October 06, 2018, 05:31:36 pm »

Quote from: Vote box
Revision
A.Electrokinetic Specialization
B.TR- Enhanced Performance (3): Talion, Blood_Librarian, MoP
C.Black AMSC
D.Inter-Outlook Program
E.HEI Smoothbore
F.Thermal Penetrator Bullets (3): The Ensorceler, SC, Rockeater

StormCaller Utilization
1A. Wait until Deployment Phase for Revision to Complete. (1): MoP
1B. Send a Desert Sand Storm into the Mountains. (1): Talion
2.Lightning storm on Mountains/Desert (2): Blood_Librarian, Rockeater
3. Strong Winds and Blistering Hot Temperatures in Mountains, use Red Skies Missiles to start Massive Wildfires (2): The Ensorceler, SC

Might as well wait for a moment in regards to stormcalling. As for our revision, new ammo is an excellent idea. However I think refining the Tesla Rifle would have a greater impact at this time. I think we'll be more likely to get a positive result due to our previous experience, especially as this is fixing issues we've known about forever.

That said, I'd prefer seeing a fantastical option pick up steam, but I guess practicality is important.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 06, 2018, 10:10:04 pm »

Revision
A.Electrokinetic Specialization
B.TR- Enhanced Performance (4): Talion, Blood_Librarian, MoP, BBB
C.Black AMSC
D.Inter-Outlook Program
E.HEI Smoothbore
F.Thermal Penetrator Bullets (3): The Ensorceler, SC, Rockeater

StormCaller Utilization
1A. Wait until Deployment Phase for Revision to Complete. (1): MoP
1B. Send a Desert Sand Storm into the Mountains. (1): Talion
2.Lightning storm on Mountains/Desert (3): Blood_Librarian, Rockeater, BBB
3. Strong Winds and Blistering Hot Temperatures in Mountains, use Red Skies Missiles to start Massive Wildfires (2): The Ensorceler, SC
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 25, 2018, 06:42:18 pm »

Tesla Rifle - Enhanced Performance
By utilizing our expanded experience with electrical systems, we've opted to revisit an old favorite: the Tesla Rifle. We have upgraded the Lightning Rod chamber with better mixtures of recombinated materials, and as a result have reduced charging time and power drain from the battery. The chance of an explosive backfire from a Lvl. 4 shot is also heavily reduced.
Revision: Tesla Rifle - Enhanced Performance
(Normal) (2+2) = 4: Below Average

With the greater use of metal recombination across the Necrostate, we decided to revisit the Tesla Rifle with it. This part was easy. Materials employed inside the weapon can sustain stronger charges moving through it, allowing for notably faster charging  -- down to about 40 seconds for Level 3 from the old 60 seconds. Charge decay is decreased as well, but not by a huge amount. After we had a few weapons blow up in testing, we determined that the unique nature of the pseudo-electrical charge stored inside the Tesla chamber makes the charge become more erratic over time. If we don't properly "vent" this charge, then it eventually overcomes the recombinated materials and causes a serious malfunction.

The gun has the same chance to backfire from a Level 4 shot as before, thanks to the newly-discovered unique decaying property of the charge. It is slightly less lethal to the user as more of the explosion is contained, but the wounds and loss of an important weapon still means it's just as discouraged as before.

We are pleased with the notably decreased charge time, though. That should improve the Tesla Rifle's combat effectiveness.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Fall 1963 has begun. The Combat Phase of Fall 1963 has begun. Last chance to enter contest submissions! (Contest summary is "media describing your domestic enemy"; see last Combat Report for more)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1963 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #498 on: November 28, 2018, 12:47:10 am »

My revised entry to the Contest. This is a series of text documents designed to go together to give an idea of what the Cult of Abbadon, a group of super terrorists that should be shot is. They are against Aratamite ideals in every facet and are the baddies.
Spoiler: Entry (click to show/hide)

EDIT: revised the entry, replaced the Figure with the Glass Sphere.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:58:59 am by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1963 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2019, 07:34:25 am »

Combat Phase: Winter 1963

The Stormcaller Circle is of great use, but Necrocommand is angered at the loss of the plains. Hopefully Mereth's victory there was a one-time occurrence.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Winter 1963 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #500 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:48 am »

Mental Intervention of Space-Time (MIST)
Manipulation of the strings discovered using the Black Chamber has revealed some immediate low hanging fruit. By pulling on the strings it is possible to locally adjust space-time, creating relative changes in the passage of energy through space. Visibly this manifests in an apparent change in the refractive index of the air. This refractive lens bends light away from the SEEM operative giving the appearance of red mists that obscure the operative’s surroundings. The precise reason the mists are red is unclear though some have suggested this may be related to the redshift of stars.

In any case, a properly trained operative can deploy this effect to obscure their position and protect against optical weapon systems such as lasers. Operatives are trained not to produce the MIST along their line of sight so as not to impede their vision. With enough practice, the projection of MIST can become unconsciously directed more akin to mentally flipping a switch than an active act of concentration. Thus we hope deployment in the Torch won’t prove too difficult.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:00 pm »

BLACKWELL TECHNIQUE - MIND RAIDERS

The first truly offensive technique that can be used by SEEM, developed by the Black Chamber Facility to manipulate the Astral to create physical manifestations of “anomalous events” The primary focus of this research is into its weaponization. These manifestations can be fabricated from a range of up to 20 feet and can be sustained through non-shielded materials, but the creation of Killsigns require line of site.

These anomalies are useful as anathema to thinking minds as general demoralizers, or true to its namesake, a “Kill sign”.

In layman's terms, A Kill sign occurs when the air or an object distort in such a way to be dangerous to visually process for a pre-targeted individual’s mind and can aggravate mental conditions and cause paranoia, full-sensory hallucinations or in worst cases cause serious brain damage, training has been made to specifically disable the functions of pilots and snipers. A killsign can be effective with even a split second exposure, but longer exposure is preferred for more effect. To witnesses not especially targetted, it merely manifests as a shimmer in the air or on the “engraved” object, that may cause a headache. Some individuals may have similar cognitions then the targeted individual, and it is advised for all Aratamite military personnel to not directly stare at any shimmers or Anomalies.

If a general area hazard is preferred, a generalized “kill-sign” can be created, affecting all individuals in the area who perceive the anomaly, causing visual artifacts in one's visual cortex, along with a slew of minor, but noticeable effects on the mind that decrease a soldiers effectiveness. It is to be noted that such anomalies are not targeted and effect all individuals, and long-term contact can have an equivalent effect to a Kill Sign.

These distortions can be deployed against aircraft and tank crews to a lesser effect, an observation (through sight or some cases hearing) is all that is required for its effect to occur.

It is unknown whether such anomalies can target Merethian thinking machines. However, one theorized method of preventing air superiority is to “place” a Kill-Sign of an engaged enemy Pilot onto one's own Torch, requiring the enemy pilot to not look at the aircraft for fear of mental degradation.

Care is to be taken, as anomalous effects may occur if an individual sustaining a kill-sign perishes.

All individuals trained in the utilization of this Blackwell technique will be referred to as MIND RAIDERS.

Tl;Dr: Trained soldiers who can use the astral to make "anomalous" emissions of visible light on a chosen object, in the air or otherwise in the physical world that causes mental harm on either 1 specific chosen person, or any sapient/sentient being who observes the active anomaly.

MIST (1): Talion
MIND RAIDERS (1):Blood_Librarian
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:51:51 pm by Blood_Librarian »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 15, 2019, 01:56:20 am »

MIST (2): Talion, Rockeater

I really think anti laser measurement would be beneficial.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 15, 2019, 09:32:35 am »

Kinda lost track of where we are and what we needed so I'm just gonna barf some god-awful designs out.

'Leaper' EMA Grenade Launcher

A rotary chamber style electromagnetically assisted grenade launcher. It is powered by a SynthOil battery updated to reflect our newfound experience with the technology and aimed to power the device long enough to launch its entire grenade arsenal before being replaced. Six grenades. We labor to increase the rate of fire, accuracy, and blast radius of the weapon.

Renegade Cargo Bus
A large, modernized motor vehicle to transport cargo by road. Features upsized wheels with rippin' treads to conquer all sorts of terrain.

Should this be SynthOil powered or would that make it expensive? Again, I'm not too up to date with the current state of our fantasy tech.

'Reacher' EMSR-63
A long ranged, scoped rifle designed to fill a sniping role. It possesses a slot for a SynthOil battery and the capacity to power shots with an inbuilt coilgun rail setup.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 15, 2019, 10:53:12 am »

We have a functional Oil-to-energy system at a higher efficiency than a combustion engine.  We have enough oil (4 units to be exact) that it doesn't matter how much oil we use for most vehicles as it won't be that bad for cargo usage.
Our Psionics capacity has just been upgraded with the Black Chambers, a secret facility that allows us to build more psionic specialized facilities then we had before.

We haven't capitalized on that, so that is why I think our first design should be based on our psionic aptitude.

The way I see it, we have two problems currently;
Aircraft: the fact that they have smart missiles with omni-sensors bugs me, but I don't see how we can fix their missiles short of downing the craft by targetting the pilot.
Lasers: mostly fixed by targetting ground troops with little anomalies of death.

However, I would be up for MIST, I just wanna wait for other people in the meantime.

Also, I made this. It was an experiment.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 15, 2019, 11:12:01 am »

I think an anti armour equipment could be useful for some degree, especilly in th mountains where we can't have our tanks.

Reading mind-raider, what projecting visible distortions means?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 16, 2019, 12:59:51 am »

a Mind-raider will place down an "anomaly", which amounts to whatever visible emissions that cause the detrimental effect on personnel, by attaching on materials or otherwise a projection in the air through the Astral made "manifest".  I used "visible distortion" interchangeably with the word "anomaly".

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 16, 2019, 02:20:01 am »

Design: M1963 'Bonfire' B-1 Heavy Gunjet
The primary development focus of the Bonfire is the completion of the "electric ramjet" theorized as key to the Torch's design. Advances in the field have suggested an engine based on the ARC warhead's reaction, focused by continuous magnetic field coils may be what we were hoping for. Using the substantial power output of a Bio-Paste reactor, the electroplasma can be forced out as a tight jet, allowing thrust enough to lift a veritable aerial tank.

With two Bio-Paste Reactors, fully articulated wings, and heavy armor and weapons systems, the Bonfire is finally able to match a SEEM's mental abilities with physical prowess. When hovering with its secondary magnetojets, the Bonfire is a versatile weapon's platform able to hunt ground targets. When using its primary magnetojets, it is able to engage multiple opponents simultaneously and at speed. Armaments are a pair of oversized coilguns aimed my the movement of the wings, and two pairs of rapid fire Ospreys in front of the cockpit. The Bonfire carries no missiles, as they are too difficult to armor over. The armor of the Bonfire is significant, more than double that of the Torch, as it is designed to impossible to shoot down instantly. A good SEEM pilot should have no fear of being able to see an attack coming and having no options. Risk of radiation poisoning is reduced, as the cockpit module no longer houses any Bio-Paste Reactors.

Design: Dandelion Mines
Powered by a Synthoil battery, a Dandelion Mine is a tangle of metal lines floating through the air by static electrical charge alone. Up close they are obvious enough, but at plane speeds only the core can be seen, not the long unfurled cables able to tear through an unsuspecting aircraft. Our Torches are more maneuverable, and our SEEMs more observant and responsive, so these air mines will tilt the skies in our favor.

MIST (2): Talion, Rockeater
'Leaper' EMA Grenade Launcher:
Renegade Cargo Bus:
'Reacher' Sniper Rifle:
'Bonfire' Heavy Gunjet (1): The Ensorceler
Dandelion Mines:

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 16, 2019, 12:37:36 pm »

MIND RAIDERS (2):Blood_Librarian, Rockeater
Renegade Cargo Bus:
'Reacher' Sniper Rifle:
Dandelion Mines:
[/quote]

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 18, 2019, 09:57:50 am »

MIND RAIDERS (3):Blood_Librarian, Rockeater, SamSpeeds
Renegade Cargo Bus:
'Reacher' Sniper Rifle:
Dandelion Mines:

I think the Bonfire is awesome, but we did invest in greater psionic capabilities last turn. Best use them.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 51