Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60759 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Spring 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2018, 04:17:08 pm »

We already have the Division, the problem was that we did a low roll and it was not effective. I think we have a revision which we can apply to it though.

if none of my designs get any votes I will vote for the Vulture. it seems like something I would design.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Gear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »

D.R.U.I.D: Development of Robust Unilateral knowledge of Ingredients in Dangerous environments

After taking an inordinate amount of time finding a way to get the acronym to work, the D.R.U.I.D. enhancement has been developed. Druids are created after SEEM treatment. Soon after becoming SEEM operatives, a second stage of isolation is added. Instead of traditional sensory deprivation, operatives are sent into the Aratam Jungle for "Naturalization". Soon after being sent into the Aratam Jungle, operatives are ordered to meditate for hours on end, the rest is to be spent foraging and hunting local wildlife. By the first week, DRUID initiates begin to feel an innate knowledge of the plants and animals they have become accustomed to. By the end of "Naturalization", DRUIDs can "feel" what plants and wildlife know. The main goal is for the DRUID operatives to search the thick and relatively unknown Aratamite Jungle for rare plants and animals for extremely valuable chemicals. A nice bonus to DRUIDs is that if Mereth somehow enters the thick Aratam Jungle, DRUIDs can aid our forces well. In the end, we end up removing some more theories on how the Astral works, increasing our knowledge on how it interacts with the world.

I'm not sure how well this would fare on a Revision, but we definitely need to increase our Rare Chemical production. I dream of a true SEEM army one day, one that will (literally) strike fear into our enemies hearts.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2018, 10:40:52 pm »

Problem with the vulture is the use of a backpack. That's going to interfere with the injection system we have on the RAMP armor. If we plan on revising something like this for fury troops we gotta make sure they can wear the RAMP suit. If we revise RAMP to utilize some form of heavy weapon with that in mind then we should be alright. I'd suggest moving the battery to the torso but then it's just a target. Might be better than nothing though?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 11, 2018, 10:56:30 pm »

I really doubt we cant design a battery backpack that can go on the back without interfering an internal system. Worst case, we take the backpack off before we top off the injection system. How would it interfere with the Injection system?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:38 am »

Everything on the back is already described as looking like a small backpack. It houses vials, batteries, and pumps already - even if it's encased and internal it's still going to protrude. If we specify that the battery pack is designed to fit over the back components of a RAMP suit then we might be able to get away with it, otherwise I think the design needs to adjust where the battery pack is.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 14, 2018, 11:36:12 pm »

Quote from: votes
QuickSilver Performance Enhancement Drug (1): MoP
Glaive (2): Blood_Librarian, The Ensorceler
Neural Shunt (1): Blood_Librarian.
HMKR-X3 (1): The Ensorceler
D.R.U.I.D.
---------------------------------------
Resource Credit
Rare Chemicals (2): MoP, Blood_Librarian
Save It (1): The Ensorceler

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 15, 2018, 01:03:47 am »

Quote from: votes
Glaive (3): Blood_Librarian, The Ensorceler, Rockeater
D.R.U.I.D.
Resource Credit
Rare Chemicals (2): MoP, Blood_Librarian
Save It (1): The Ensorceler
[/quote]
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 15, 2018, 03:06:02 pm »

Glaive (3): Blood_Librarian, The Ensorceler, Rockeater
D.R.U.I.D.
Resource Credit
Rare Chemicals (1): MoP
Save It (2): The Ensorceler, Blood_Librarian

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 15, 2018, 05:26:41 pm »

The Glaive is in many aspects, very similar in construction, and quality to the ECCB-60. The starkest difference is the incorporation of a Gel-Matrix Bio-Paste Reactor as a replacement to its batteries, along with a severe re-working of the cannons, autoloader and electrical system to be simpler to produce, maintain and keep functional in the battlefield and to reduce the logistical burden on our supply corps. (-1/2 metal cost.). Cup-holders and syringe racks in cryogenically refrigerated vending machines are included as well so as to secure the logistics of shipping our most valuable resource to the field.

Also, we replace the Osprey with a Tesla Rifle modified for tank defending duties.
Revision: "Glaive" ECCB-72
(Normal) (3+3) = 6: Above Average

The Gel-Matrix Bio-Paste Reactor integration goes rather smoothly. It replaces the extreme majority of the batteries in our tanks already present, and while we do have to add extra reactor shielding the speed increase from the reactor's extra power sent to the motors balances that out.
With this change, the Glaive is able to move and shoot effectively as much as it wants to; it's only limited by crew supplies and ammunition for the coilgun. A Tesla Rifle is installed on the front instead of an Osprey, with a direct link to the Reactor. The large amounts of power lets the rifle fire more frequently, though not too much more often than its infantry-held counterpart - charge too fast and the current Tesla Rifle model may short out or even explode.  Regardless, it's enough for a steady stream of Level 1/2 shots and the occasional Level 3 shot.

Some inclusion of minor storage racks for drugs allows easy access by our forces on the field, decreasing reliance on dedicated supply trains (though we definitely still need those) for some squadrons and platoons. But ultimately it is a tank and not a specialized cargo vehicle, so we get zero TC from this.

While we did simplify some of the components without affecting their performance, we could not decrease metal cost - most of that is armor and the chassis, and we can't remove it without affecting combat performance. We do think we're getting better at properly implementing the Reactor, if that matters.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Spring 1963 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Spring 1963 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #399 on: July 17, 2018, 01:29:43 am »

Combat Report Summer 1963

The Generals are all quite glad and are making preparations to march on the Tundra this very moment. Though ensuring that we don't lose further in the Mountains could also be a good idea.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Summer 1963 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:46 am »

With the increase in the ORACLE's effectiveness I resubmit the following:

The D.R.E.A.M. Project

During the process for creating S.E.E.M. soldiers we isolate them from all external worldly influence. The Direct Reintroduction of Entropic Applications of the Mind Project has tried a different approach. When a volunteer for the treatment is secured in their modified CryoStat tank and they begin interaction with the Astral, bioengineers slowly begin introducing white noise into the tank in the form of random information, military or otherwise. This disturbance while being introduced to the Astral tends to damage the subject's biological systems, often to a disabling degree requiring permanent CryoStat submersion, which is why they are chosen from a pool of volunteers.

While S.E.E.M Commandos work in prediction, D.R.E.A.M. Commanders work in unpredictability with minds perfectly tuned for non-linear thought. Most D.R.E.A.M. Commanders do so by communicating orders to the officers their tank is assigned to, while the few that are combat-capable prefer to do so from the front. They dig into the vast knowledge pool their subconscious was bombarded by in order to act in a way that is unexpected while accomplishing their objectives, while also using their precognitive abilities to analyze all possibilities.

We've also got particle filters on all our dudes, and not just for style, so we could start using our chemical weapons for more...nefarious purposes. Something like:

SNOW/White

Unfortunately, when dealing with the unknown there will always be accidents. As some scientists were working on new drug cocktails a previously untested combination was created in an uncontrolled environment, resulting in the scientists in the lab falling into a coma-like state for from as little as ten minutes to, well, we're still waiting on Presley.

The battlefield potential for such a concoction did not go unnoticed. Simply called "White" for it's milky color in it's stabilized liquid state, once agitated it becomes a slightly heavy-than-air gas. While the idea of creating bullets to deliver White was originally the plan, the widespread introduction of armor across all of Mereth's forces has called for it's delivery on a larger scale. The whole project, now titled "Synthesized Narcotic Oversaturation Weapon/White", or SNOW/White for short, had the goal of creating warheads for our missiles that would disperse White over a sizable area while keeping it from dispersing too much to the point of being ineffective.

I want to revise RAMP with RAGE just to make our Furys better and I know it's a wasted action, but I still want to see them sit at the grown-ups table.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2018, 03:03:35 am »

They can still counter gas with filters, I think if we go chemical warfare we need to go beyond just spreading it
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2018, 03:47:50 am »

Agreed, but that design is already practically two designs on it's own. I didn't want to make it any harder than it is now, and it should help for anything we make further down the line to drop on them since we'll already have the tech to deploy it. I would like to pull some more experience from work with the Astral before we do much else also, so maybe a design like this:

The Black Chamber

Once humanity made contact with another realm it was only a matter of time before they dedicated resources to exploring it. Despite the name, The Black Chamber is no more intimidating than your standard Aratam laboratory, and is not a single chamber but a whole facility built beneath The Refinery. Within The Black Chamber scientists and engineers dedicate all their time, effort, and resources to break through into the Astral realm, both mentally and physically. Mereth has discovered a new resource that could turn the tide of the war, it's time we begin exploiting our own.

The Black Chamber should provide at least these two things for us, barring a trash roll: cheaper augmented units thanks to a facility dedicated to research into the processes that created them, and progress in discovering the full potential of the Astral realm, something we've been neglecting for a bit.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 17, 2018, 04:19:38 am »

We can try find a use to our Fury guys and make armour penitrating poised tipped weapon, I'm not even 100 present sure about the ap

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 17, 2018, 03:40:34 pm »

EXALT 1 Rocket Launch

On 1963,  May 28th, EXALT 1 is expected to be launched from an Aratam rocket site.  Using rocket engines directly taken from a sub-orbital bomber program and the hard labor of thousands of workers in our manufactories,  The Talos-Alpha Expendable Rocket System (TERS) was created.  It is a two-stage missile, with 3 solid-fuel boosters that fire in-sync with the first stage to lift it off the ground. Using our extensive knowledge of synth-oil utilization along with the fact that synth oil is far more energy dense than kerosene, we expect to have more than enough fuel to get EXALT 1 into orbit with two stages and a set of boosters. It is stabilized by a set of semi-rotatable fins with an axis of 16 degrees and aerodynamic systems that will allow it to commit to the required turns in the atmosphere for setting up an orbit.

Using tried and true techniques (sto--borrowed from the Russian Cosmonaut program), The capsule and payload of EXALT 1 is a crew capsule that can hold one person with supplies to hold a person in space for five days. However, the capsule is expected to only be present in space for 12 and however many orbits before it will land safely in the ocean near Aratam. The occupant will be armed with a Tesla rifle in case of unforeseen problems.

Sara Gauri, SEEM ID 06-743 (Batch 6,  Subject 743) was the chosen member to go into space. As an agent of the BEO, a cover story is created proclaiming her as an Ace of our Airforce had been created, to cover for the fact that she is a SEEM Operator. Sara was selected for her very impressive scores in Empathetic ability and notable endurance towards mental exhaustion related to SEEM tasks. She will be tasked with assensing out the hospitality of Space for more aware operatives, and to explore the dimension that SEEM are aware of in outer space. She is expected to be present in space for 12 hours and will be given the supplies required to last 5 days in space, and up to 2 weeks in case of being stranded in an earthbound location.

In addition, other tasks are to confirm the data fed to us by other nations regarding space, as well as other simple tests related to the human condition. Sara Gauri is expected to be equipped with a complete suite of sensors monitoring her body condition while she is in space, as well as (encrypted) communication system to the surface for the health and safety of all those involved. As well as the primary “secret” objective of the mission.

We believe there is something out there, in space. Some type of entity or anomaly in space that we cannot observe it through traditional means. Only through the usage of SEEM or aware individuals can we observe this being, and if EXALT makes it into space bound environment, the majority of the tests and experiments are either dedicated to the condition of a SEEM Operative in space or the observation and perhaps even the interaction with this entity. In the interest of self-preservation, the capsule is equipped with a system that would disable the electronics aboard the craft and doom it to burning up in the atmosphere, that is remotely triggered through a complicated sequence of radio transmissions.

The official objective is to pioneer the nation of Aratams destiny in space to whole new levels and to show that even in the desperate war of Aratams survival there is still resources spent towards higher, noble pursuits in the field of peaceful space exploration.

Unofficially, the goal of the space program is threefold-fold; To beat out the Russians in sending the first woman into space and forever putting our names into the history books of the world, and too commit a battery of tests and processes in an space-borne environment  with a subject found in no other country besides ours; A SEEM Operator. The rocket engine of Talos-Alpha is a direct descendant of a Sub-Orbital Bomber Program, and one way or another, progress should be made for the utilization of rocket engines in case everything else fails.

In diplomatic settings, the hopefully-successful launch of EXALT 1 should be used as a bargaining chip to secure more resources from the Cannalan Government in the form of Rare Chemicals

NOVA Operators Division (Nobilis Operations of the Vanguard Agents) (NOD)

Although not a direct descendant of the FURY Formula, The chemicals used in NOVA is very similar on a basic level to FURY, with a stark difference in how it is applied to get the end result.

The initial NOVA treatment borrows from the Iron Legion Project and some of the more complicated parts of the Astral we have learned from the first SEEM, Willard Breiner. The goal of Phase 1 of NOVA is two-fold, to open up the mind to the Astral, and to harden the body against its accidental exposure. Enhancements to the body as attempted in the Iron Legion Project are attempted to allow a person to have super-human bodily endurance and to a lesser extent strength and speed. The mind is opened up to the Astral, but unlike a SEEM, they aren't really toned down from it, Neural inhibitors are surgically implemented, and higher thought is suppressed with a temporary surgical insertion of a “pill” that dissolves away in about a week or two.

The now childlike subjects undergo a brutal set of combat trials against Special Forces Agents and SEEM operatives, with the goal of training them to their peak, to allow their mind to adjust to the presence of the Astral and to use it passively in their combat. They will never be nearly as perceptive as a SEEM, as they are immersed in the Astral, not peering into it, but they can come close to a Golden-Eyes Augmented, and the combat gives them clarity of the mind.

After 2 weeks of raw, hand-to-hand combat, they are brought into cryogenics bay and taught.

First, we make sure they learn why they fought, why they volunteered to become a NOVA and the basic operations of a ranged weapon. Any questions they have, are answered. Nothing is kept secret from them at this point, but handily, nothing is really exposed to them to make them ask anything that could compromise Aratam. Details of their process ahead of them will be somewhat summarized (“Another augmentation period, and then a series of operations different than the one you had just completed”, etc etc.). They are being tested here. To see if they are truly fit for becoming an Operator by SEEM agents of the BEO. Once they pass the test (Everyone does, but there is still a chance.), they are put into a cryostat once more.

During the development of SEEM, the growth of anomalous material in the subjects Central Nervous system is what gives the SEEM the abilities and power they have. A Nova will grow these same growths during the second phase, and they may even be larger than a SEEM’s. They are more spread out. They grow throughout the entire body and it spreads from the mind almost eerily like a cancer. The skin-deep nodules are faintly visible to a physical examination as a pin-prick dark points that pop in and out of existence. Surgically removed nodules from expired subjects are an ethereal black material that doesn't look like it should exist, and is a mish-mash of random elements in formations that are not possible under classical physics.

Once a NOVA completes the second Phase, they undergo training to manifest their Astral-Bound abilities through live fire exercises, simulated Artillery dives and hand-to-hand gladiatorial fights to the death against captured soldiers of Merethian origin in between additional Cryogenic treatments to develop their adolescent nodes.

A NOVA’s ability is usually of a telekinetic variety, although there are unique agents that are few and far between, as the treatment was dedicated to finding their telekinetic potential, processes to open up other powers are possible.

Typically, a NOVA excerpts the ability to move themselves or other things they can see. Whether this means they gain an unholy and outright horrific amount of speed that they become almost impossible to shoot at due to their unpredictable nature of movement combined with the durability to handle it, and/or the ability to rip soldiers apart and possibly bring down aircraft with their minds all depends on how much of the Astral the soldier can immerse themselves into. Some soldiers are better at other tasks than others.

The Dexterity of their telekinetic abilities is usually powerful enough to lift and fire a rifle, with some of the better soldiers able to use a half-dozen rifles at a time through the sheer telekinetic gift. Other soldiers can out-run some vehicles and can turn almost on a dime without pulping themselves. Whenever a NOVA uses their abilities, it is known that other personnel presents feel a sensation of foreboding or malese.

In summary, A Nova Agent is an upscaled supersoldier with superhuman endurance, augmented  Strength, speed and perhaps Dexterity, and access to otherworldly powers of the Astral. They are acquired through an extremely invasive cryostat Program combined with a brutal training program on par with a SEEM Soldier’s training.

EXALT 1-B

EXALT 1-B is a Sub-Orbital Bomber designed to briefly leave the atmosphere and make a leap into space and is able to reach Merethians shores, and dropping its payload of super-sonic warheads. Once it’s munitions are spent it can cruise around the island and return to an Aratamite air-base, safe in the knowledge that it is far faster than anything available with its rocket-powered propulsion.

Its propulsion is three Synth-Oil Based rocket engine with an integrated oxidizer and optional air feeds, for when it is in an atmosphere. A Bio-Paste Reactor is used in electrically vaporizing the fuel generates an electromagnetic field that heats and compresses the fuel/ oxidizer or fuel/air mix into a plasma for higher speeds. The Wings are variable swept, increasing the angle as it approaches supersonic speeds, and the cockpit is recessed into the canopy. The Targeting system is run by a SEEM Operator, who determines where to drop the bombs and when to fire the very precise switch, who is assisted by an electronic targeting system and operations area.

It is designed to carry 20 tons of munitions, allowing it to drop a full payload worth of munitions anywhere, any time with very little prior notice.

It’s sole protection against oncoming jets, and anti-aircraft missiles is a backward facing Tesla gun modified to act as a chaff cannon and to take down oncoming ordinance or aircraft and it’s utterly radiant speed. In total, 6 crew members are required for running the craft, but up to 12 can be on board to act as relief for other persons.

Quote from: Vote Bosx
EXALT 1 (1): Blood Librarian,
NOD (1): Blood Librarian,
EXALT 1-B (0):
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 51