Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60772 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Spring 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:29 am »

We are at the teetering edge of something great. Why stop marching in the name of progress? Petty qualms and superstition?

We aren't making deals with them, at least we think we are not. We aren't even talking to them.

The magic happens when our men learn from them. Observing their form, and what they do in their every day "lives" teaches our soldiers the anomalous abilities and how to use them.

Yes, an artillery would be nice. Especially if it does have that extremly long range ability, but I feel putting our best weapons to the cutting edge would be better.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:08:25 am by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2018, 01:19:29 pm »

R.A./G.E (1): The Ensorceler
TeslaPort Portal (0):
Scythe (2):Bright Fractal, Talion
CONTACT (2):Blood_Librarian, Rockeater
Enrapture (0):
Hóng Lián (1): The Ensorceler
The D.R.E.A.M. Project (1): MoP

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:10 pm »

R.A./G.E (2): The Ensorceler, MoP
TeslaPort Portal (0):
Enrapture (0):

Here's an idea for a plan: this turn we design and refine something that utilizes rare chemicals and use our resource credit to make it cheaper, then next turn we do whatever we have to for a design and use the revision on something like Refinery, Refined to increase our chem production.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2018, 03:31:26 pm »

R.A./M.P. (Reinforced Armor/Multi-Purpose) Suit:

The base of the suit consists of ceramic and steel recombined plates slid into pouches of a rubber suit reinforced with a metal webbing. The head is hooded and comes with a mask that contains a particle filter.

The R.A./M.P. Suit is designed to interface with Militarized Baseline ports and can distribute the contents of a vial to those ports at the push of a button, coming with a default "boost mode" of synthetic adrenalin. Combat Drugs such as Fury can be loaded as well, simply by replacing the vial.

A small heating/cooling system and the injection pump are housed in the backplate and are battery operated. Due to relatively low power use, well maintained and replaced batteries are expected not to run dry in normal use.

R.A./G.E (1): , MoP
TeslaPort Portal (0):
Enrapture (0):
R.A/M.P. (1): The Ensorceler

I think once we have good armor we'll be stabilized and able to coast for a while, freeing us up for bigger things. Apologies to R.A./G.E., but I think Fury is bad, and should be replaced.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2018, 04:00:30 pm »

My only problem with RAMP, which is better than RAGE don't get me wrong, is that we don't have other combat stims to use, so a potential increase in difficulty for the base design to be built around a variety of stims seems unnecessary this turn. Unless we plan on creating a new stim next design phase then I think it's best if we save the multipurpose usage of the suit for the revision after we design a stim. That said, I do have a couple ideas on that front as well. I'll refine them as I work and post them when I get home tonight.

I like RAMP though, and if we can all agree to introduce a new stim immediately then I might be convinced to get behind it. The protection is the most important part right now, I think we can agree on that at least.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2018, 07:18:59 pm »

I don't think it needs a real stim to be deployed, I just wanted it to remain compatible without needing to be modified. Then we might as well load the injector with something, and I think adrenaline is a good placeholder that won't increase the cost of the armor.

Gear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2018, 10:00:41 pm »

I feel that getting the strategic advantage cannot let us down in many ways, although I'm also torn between DREAM and RA/MP. RA/MP will allow us to use our great soldiers to their fullest while DREAM will help with everything. Simply put, the difference between the two is whether or not the edge goes into tactical or strategic value.
R.A./G.E (1): , MoP
TeslaPort Portal (0):
Enrapture (0):
The D.R.E.A.M. Project (2): MoP, Gear
R.A/M.P. (2): The Ensorceler, Gear

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2018, 01:57:30 am »

R.A./G.E (0):
TeslaPort Portal (0):
Enrapture (0):
The D.R.E.A.M. Project (1): Gear
R.A/M.P. (3): The Ensorceler, Gear, MoP

I want to get this ball rolling, and honestly either option is fine by me - I can always propose DREAM next turn, though I'd rather get ahead of ORACLE now. I think we might be able to float a new stim as a revision. Tell me what you think:

QuickSilver Performance Enhancement Drug

QuickSilver is produced using a modified Fury formula. By altering the ratio of specific chemicals we were able to isolate and severely reduce or remove the unadulterated rage that came as a side effect of using Fury. The changes turned the mixture a pearlescent silver with the physical properties of it's namesake. QuickSilver fortifies muscle and increases blood flow, and works to nearly negate fatigue while present in the system. Increased strength is no longer present in subjects, but they retain presence of mind.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2018, 06:30:07 pm »

Quote from: The Suffering
R.A./G.E (0):
TeslaPort Portal (0):
Enrapture (0):
The D.R.E.A.M. Project (1): Gear
R.A/M.P. (4): The Ensorceler, Gear, MoP, Blood_librarian

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 10, 2018, 08:48:18 pm »

R.A./M.P. (Reinforced Armor/Multi-Purpose) Suit:
The base of the suit consists of ceramic and steel recombined plates slid into pouches of a rubber suit reinforced with a metal webbing. The head is hooded and comes with a mask that contains a particle filter.

The R.A./M.P. Suit is designed to interface with Militarized Baseline ports and can distribute the contents of a vial to those ports at the push of a button, coming with a default "boost mode" of synthetic adrenalin. Combat Drugs such as Fury can be loaded as well, simply by replacing the vial.

A small heating/cooling system and the injection pump are housed in the backplate and are battery operated. Due to relatively low power use, well maintained and replaced batteries are expected not to run dry in normal use.
Design: R.A./M.P. (Reinforced Armor/Multi-Purpose) Suit
(Easy) (1+4)+1 = 6: Above Average

The RA/MP Suit is a simple yet effective set of armor to be issued to all our soldiers. Using metal recombination with ceramics and steel combined with a rubber suit, we can create a surprisingly durable piece of armor without sacrificing agility or speed. A small system on the back -- vaguely resembling a small "backpack" -- stores up to 6 drug vials, along with batteries for the suit's injection and heating/pumping. Using a series of buttons at the wrist, soldiers can inject any of these vials at will. The pumping system combined with the Militarized Baseline ports already present on our soldiers mean that the effects of any injected drug are nearly instantaneous.

Small-caliber bullets from conventional Mereth rifles can still pierce the armor, but lethal damage from these is now a rarity and oftentimes soldiers can effectively shrug off a couple bullets. Higher-caliber bullets from autocannons are still dangerous, but survival rate of soldiers is expected to go way up thanks to our new armor. And this isn't even factoring in the drug injection component.

A "hood" covers the top of the head, with the front being obscured by a particle filter mask. Both these components are Recombined to be durable, though not as durable as the main armor around say, the torso. The armor itself is surprisingly inconspicious in appearance, thanks to its unique recombinated nature. We also issue a nice jacket to our men to accompany the hood and boost morale. Red theming and the insignia of Aratam are prominent throughout.
Spoiler: Rough Appearance (click to show/hide)
The armor costs 2 Ore and is Cheap. It'll be issued to every member of the Aratamite armed forces, with minor variations based on those wearing it.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Spring 1963 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Spring 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2018, 01:49:22 am »

is that a fukken helghast sniper oh wait now I see the flag in the background yes it is

Reposting the design again so it can be found after the design and because I've forgotten how to link a specific post.

QuickSilver Performance Enhancement Drug

QuickSilver is produced using a modified Fury formula. By altering the ratio of specific chemicals we were able to isolate and severely reduce or remove the unadulterated rage that came as a side effect of using Fury. The changes turned the mixture a pearlescent silver with the physical properties of it's namesake. QuickSilver fortifies muscle and increases blood flow, and works to nearly negate fatigue while present in the system. Increased strength is no longer present in subjects, but they retain presence of mind.

-----

Let's throw some durable troops with the ability to march for days at them. Armor went swimmingly, just like any other time I get worried about roll difficulty.

EDIT: Oh also vote boxes

Quote from: Vocal Box
Revision
QuickSilver Performance Enhancement Drug (1): MoP
---------------------------------------
Resource Credit
Rare Chemicals (1): MoP

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:58:26 am by Man of Paper »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 11, 2018, 01:05:41 pm »

I will change my vote once it becomes aparent which one people like best.

"Glaive" Electromagnetic Coil Cannon Battle Tank ECCB-72

The Glaive is in many aspects, very similar in construction, and quality to the ECCB-60. The starkest difference is the incorporation of a Gel-Matrix Bio-Paste Reactor as a replacement to its batteries, along with a severe re-working of the cannons, autoloader and electrical system to be simpler to produce, maintain and keep functional in the battlefield and to reduce the logistical burden on our supply corps. (-1/2 metal cost.). Cup-holders and syringe racks in cryogenically refrigerated vending machines are included as well so as to secure the logistics of shipping our most valuable resource to the field.

Also, we replace the Osprey with a Tesla Rifle modified for tank defending duties.

Neural Shunts

Through the installation of a high-yield Titanium construction "shunt" that, when installed, completely cuts off the connection of the central nervous system to the peripheral nervous system, while still being removable and allowing complete re-connection to the PNS after removal of the shunt. This monumental invention allows for far more concentrated and potent chemical augmentations to be committed on a person for the process of soldiers undergoing Golden-Eye or SEEM augmentation. These potent pharmaceuticals will allow for an augmentation program to be completed on shorter timelines and with a notable decrease of resource-intensive on the part of Cryogenic Infrastructure and life support equipment. Ultimately, fewer resources are invested into keeping an individual alive for their time in the cryogenic tank, and more chemical stocks are invested into creating the augmented individuals in a more timely, efficient manner.

The Neural Shunt works by disrupting a partition of the spinal cord with an electromagnetic field, allowing life support to take over the critical functions of the body without more invasive surgical intervention once the shunt is installed through a one-inch incision to access the surface of the spinal cord. The spinal cord itself is completely unharmed as the magnetic field can interfere with the connection to the rest of the body without cutting into the bone to access the nerves. Once the procedure is complete, the shunt can be turned off and either surgically removed, or left in place for further procedures.

Subjects with an active Neural shunt are completely paralyzed, in a state where they are without any sensory input, similar to that of a sensory deprivation chamber. More medically inclined individuals point out the possibility of distribution in medical settings, as it can completely supplant the need for anesthetic as patients with an active shunt do not feel pain.

Revision
Glaive (1): Blood_Librarian
Neural Shunt (1): Blood_Librarian.
Resource Credit
Rare Chemicals (2): MoP, Blood_Librarian

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 11, 2018, 03:29:35 pm »

Revision: HMKR-X3 'Vulture'
Take two Osprey coilrifles, connect them to a larger battery array housed in an expanded RA/MP backplate and take off the power restrictors. Replace their stocks, grips and triggers with a left-handed gauntlet so you can take the recoil, and smile. You've got yourself a Vulture, a weapon designed to allow our poor Fury addicts to go toe to toe with Bear armor.

Quote from: votes
Glaive (1): Blood_Librarian
Neural Shunt (1): Blood_Librarian.
HMKR-X3 (1): The Ensorceler
Resource Credit
Rare Chemicals (2): MoP, Blood_Librarian
Save It (1): The Ensorceler

To clarify, does the Glaive attempt to reduce the cost of the cannon, or the entire tank by half? I also don't know if it needs a dedicated delivery role on top of being, you know, a tank but whatever.

More importantly, spending the resource credit on Rare Chemicals will only increase the amount of Fury we can deploy. Everything else stays at the same distribution level.   

Edit: Added Vulture
Edit: Changed battery description
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:08:37 pm by The Ensorceler »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 11, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »

along with a severe re-working of the cannons, autoloader and electrical system to be simpler to produce, maintain and keep functional in the battlefield and to reduce the logistical burden on our supply corps. (-1/2 metal cost.)

Cost isn't just deployment. Cost isnt just making it and sending it ot the battlefield. It is the resources required to keep the thing functional in the battlefield as well as the initial cost to set it up. I aim to reduce both with a re-work, anything else is secondary.

I really don't see how a refrigerator to be stocked with chemicals would be that much of a burden.

Edit: Could you toss me a link ot the Division of Biological Manipulation?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:57:46 pm by Blood_Librarian »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (1955 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #389 on: July 11, 2018, 04:13:04 pm »

Division of Biological Manipulation: Having a conclave ON TOP of the Refinery for this facility serves a different purpose than just playing with chemicals. It has its own research dedicated to biological knowledge, but more importantly the manipulation of biological material including thing as the genome, DNA and RNA, and other such biological material. With this faculty in place it will be much easier to dedicate research into the manipulation of organisms, the amplifying the effects of drugs, and even the manipulation of organs to create... super soldiers. Dedicated research teams, proper tools, even the necessary test subjects that have to take to human experiments. All this to make our understandings and future advancements of biology easier. The main tool to make it easier for us to mess with genetics, is through with chemical baths that surround the faculty and testing their effects on the victims, test subjects.
I changed my mind about what I wanted to do, but here's the original proposal. I guess it could still be popular.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 51