Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 41881 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2017, 12:56:22 pm »

Am I the only one concerned about having jets which require manual aiming? Regardless of this debate, there's no way they will be able to hit their targets at high speeds without some sort of targeting system (which we don't have yet).

Well already have one piece of tech we aren't using, we should try and focus on tech we can use.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2017, 01:02:21 pm »

Just as a general suggestion, I'm thinking the two main things we should look at this turn are targeting computers to press our space-gun advantage and stealth armour for ground troops.

Am I the only one concerned about having jets which require manual aiming?
No.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »

Am I the only one concerned about having jets which require manual aiming? Regardless of this debate, there's no way they will be able to hit their targets at high speeds without some sort of targeting system (which we don't have yet).
Bombing areas works.

We are talking about control over planets, there are need to be some bases and other places to bomb.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2017, 01:06:05 pm »

Bionic Eye Implants
These eye replacement orbs contain a vision system comparable to baseline, yet also capable of displaying data from existing augmented reality systems, allowing those implanted to gain all the benefits of augmented reality visors. This allows complicated targeting information to be turned into simple physical representations that can be accurately judged by eye.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:12 pm »

Quote from: votebox
Berserker drone: (1) Strongpoint

I want drones, I want experience in this field. I want to follow with targeting computers revisions for Odins
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2017, 01:31:32 pm »

QS-BGS-01 'Huginn'
Named after Odin's raven of Thought, the Huginn Ballistics Guidance System is a powerful neural-network-aided computing system, distributed in spare spaces across an Odin warship to minimize impact on space and cost. It operates a much-improved radar system that will ideally be capable of detecting and tracking hostiles at Long range. The computer calculates warship trajectories for the crew and aims the weapons, requiring crew members only to push the "Fire" button and watch for red lights and/or blinking red status messages. The computer, however, has a neural network module, and thus improves its performance over time. The more times it fires and observes the results, the better it gets at predicting the enemy, and the better it becomes at placing shots through critical locations or weak points in the armor of previously-fought enemy warships. The best part is, since its purpose is so specific (Guiding and firing weapon systems) it can be relatively small, ideally with minimal impact on costs and space constraints within the Odin-class vessels. The system is intended to be a refit module, capable of being added to already-constructed Odin-class warships relatively quickly.

Proposed plan for the turn:
Revise Stardust to gain one more (At least) SPP, allowing us to deploy at least a Dove transport (with vehicles) next turn.

Recall ALL Odins and transports to Quillus, load transports with new armor (Or anything else that we might revise), upgrade Odins with Huginn systems, and redeploy next turn to push them back on all fronts (Hopefully, probably). Remember that we will have next turn to design ground....something, probably a tank, and revise infantry something-or-other, probably an armored uniform + spacesuit combo, as in a uniform that is non-restrictive and can also act as a spacesuit, given an air supply.

QS-BGS-01 'Huginn': (1) Madman
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:51:53 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2017, 01:33:55 pm »

Supercomputer QS-IPU 'BRAGI':
A heavily parallelised network of computing cores installed in all vessels and in ground installations across the Quillian homeworld, Intelligent Processing Unit BRAGI is capable of crunching complex geometrical equations at speeds humans would consider essentially instantaneous. Depending on tactical necessity, BRAGI can process trajectories to provide aiming precision ranging from within several metres to within several centimetres at typical dogfighting distances, depending on how much power is to be devoted to a particular problem. In principle, it could also be expanded and used for many other computer-amenable tasks with further research.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2017, 01:42:45 pm »

Spin, we have a Discord linked in the core thread (I think), and the numbers at the end of every design label (The QS-Letters-##) are important.

I highly recommend both of them.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2017, 01:53:28 pm »

I am assuming we are all currently aware of what the year is and can fill it in as needed.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

Still should be included in the design proposal, why try and make others do the work for you?

Not to mention if it's not in the proposal it won't be in the tech list when NUKE writes it up, barring a successful vote for name changing, which is just a waste of time.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2017, 01:59:50 pm »

Not that I really have anything against your thing Spin, but this is the design phase, so we might as well get a decent improvement out of this, and the neural network sounds like a decent piece of tech to have.
QS-BGS-01 'Huginn': (2) Madman, Jilladilla

Also, Spin the number is so we could look at a project and know at a glance when it was made.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2017, 02:19:47 pm »

Not that I really have anything against your thing Spin, but this is the design phase, so we might as well get a decent improvement out of this, and the neural network sounds like a decent piece of tech to have.
Yeah, the other supercomputer is fine, and while a neural network would be terrible for this in real life, it's a good idea as a game mechanic. I didn't post mine as competition for his, I was just working on it at the same time and left the tab up for a bit. Although I think BRAGI is a better name, I'll vote for whichever one is winning, which in this case appears to be:
QS-BGS-01 'Huggy bear': (3) Madman, Jilladilla, Maximum Spin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:13:49 am by Maximum Spin »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2017, 02:29:20 pm »

I too will support QS-BGS-01 "Huggable"

Not the biggest fan, not because I think a brutal network neural would be bad at this, but because I think quantum computing would make this obsolete.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2017, 03:49:11 pm »

Spin, why would a neural network be terrible for a firing-solution computer?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2017, 05:04:40 pm »

Spin, why would a neural network be terrible for a firing-solution computer?
Neural networks are inherently imprecise, and that precision basically follows a random walk as they evolve. Not a great choice for geometric problem-solving – as, well, the fairly poor average performance of the most powerful neural networks we've ever developed, "human brains", in that field evidences. It's just not a class of problems neural networks are well-optimised for, and you'd get inconsistent performance if you tried.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 39