Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1904 Battle Phase  (Read 52542 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1898 Design Phase
« Reply #390 on: December 05, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »

Hello chaps! Friendly Foreigner here to note that Radio is not the only way(or at this stage even close to being a decent way) of relaying messages! With your love of shiny things, Im sure you can work something else out.
Unleash the power of the sun and/or big sheets of colored cloth!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 06, 2017, 03:05:05 pm »

And I think I can speak for everyone here when such a radio will not be practical. We have bigger concerns at the moment.
well it would be nice to have these things early enough because communication is key...

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 06, 2017, 03:06:19 pm »

We could make that german flare pistol that could also shoot little rolled up paper messages!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 06, 2017, 03:10:12 pm »

Smoothing out combat anf going for these radios next is the right course.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 06, 2017, 04:56:40 pm »

We could make that german flare pistol that could also shoot little rolled up paper messages!

Note they're already included in the Tauret revision proposed on the previous page.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 06, 2017, 05:17:45 pm »

Note they're already included in the Tauret revision proposed on the previous page.
I see no mention of shooting little rolled up paper messages in that revision >:(

The revision also fails to fix the cannon's true biggest flaw: its name. We already proved that Kenthap doesn't work and Tauret doesn't work. It will just fail again if we don't give it its proper name, Djer! Especially if we cram more features into the revision and give it a bigger chance to fail.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 06, 2017, 05:19:32 pm »

I see no mention of shooting little rolled up paper messages in that revision >:(

The revision also fails to fix the cannon's true biggest flaw: its name. We already proved that Kenthap doesn't work and Tauret doesn't work. It will just fail again if we don't give it its proper name, Djer! Especially if we cram more features into the revision and give it a bigger chance to fail.

Due to all the previous failures the cannon has been reduced to 'trivial' difficulty, meaning we can't fail. Worst case scenario, we don't get a plate shield and/or flares.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 06, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »

Just fixing the cannon=trivial, but adding those extra features=easy or medium. With those features we can fail so we need to fix the name. And even if it is trivial difficulty, trivial can still recieve a bug.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:24:23 pm by NAV »

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 06, 2017, 05:24:16 pm »

Just fixing the cannon=trivial, but adding those extra features=easy or medium. With those features we can fail so we need to fix the name.

The fact a design isn't trivial with given additions means those additions can fail, not the design. Making bricks and then making a tank to carry them doesn't mean you can fail at making the bricks. With an easy revision that gives us so much benefit, I don't see why not.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:55 pm »

Just fixing the cannon=trivial, but adding those extra features=easy or medium. With those features we can fail so we need to fix the name. And even if it is trivial difficulty, trivial can still recieve a bug.

Actually, by wording the revision into "up to specs, then add these additions" way we can basically guarantee we get something even if we roll 1.

I mean, at this point the cannon works. We have a working cannon. We just lack the shells.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 06, 2017, 05:45:06 pm »

Hard: 1
Sekhmet 1.6-inch Revolver Cannon:
So, where to start? First off, the gun overheats far too quickly and the barrel tends to warp. The stand for the cannon is also too small to handle the recoil of the gun even with the recoil dampeners, causing the thing to break off of it, and lastly, occasionally a bullet get stuck and embeds itself in the barrel, blocking the way for the gunpowder to get out and causing the gun to burst. Other then these issues, our tests believe that it would be able to penetrate the armour of Karikhitan Ironclads, although probably will have a better time killing crew then actually sinking the ship. Of course, that only applies when it works and with its overheating issues, it doesn't. Still, at least we have something new to show for our work, even if its a buggy mess...

It is now the Revision Phase, The Pharaoh is starting to worry about your progress...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1898 Revision Phase
« Reply #401 on: December 06, 2017, 05:47:21 pm »

For fucks sake, yet another one?

Fuck it. Let's do the cannon revision and hide this under the term Project Hippo.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »

The fact a design isn't trivial with given additions means those additions can fail, not the design. Making bricks and then making a tank to carry them doesn't mean you can fail at making the bricks. With an easy revision that gives us so much benefit, I don't see why not.
Actually, by wording the revision into "up to specs, then add these additions" way we can basically guarantee we get something even if we roll 1.

I mean, at this point the cannon works. We have a working cannon. We just lack the shells.
That is not how it works, at least not in any arms race I've ever played. Adding extras takes engineering away from and increases difficulty of primary goal. Maybe Piratejoe said different in discord. I'm not in this games discord.

Even if basic success in guaranteed, we should still name it Djer to appease the gods and make it more likely for the extras to succeed. Even Seket failed because it wasn't named Djer.

If we make Sekhmet project hippo, we can't name this cannon after a hippo or it will give us away.

+1 to making Sekhmet the new project hippo
+1 to revising old project hippo and naming it Djer.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 06, 2017, 06:06:07 pm »

I propose the following again:

QF 6-inch Tauret Field Artillery Piece Model 1898 (Revision)
Following several years of research and development, and numerous hardships involved with Project Hippo, the Tauret represents the cummulative improvement to artillery guns over this period and marks a significant improvement over traditional cannons of it's time. Firing self-contained ammunition, with the powder charge in a brass case which also held the  boat-tailed shell, which has been kept at 6’’ in diameter as fitting with the project. While featuring a lanyard / rope for firing over soft ground, the gun can be fired with a lever because it is essentially immobilized by a combination of features all developed during project Hippo, including hydropneumatic recoil dampening, a trail spad for it's split trail (allowing a reasonably wide traverse of around 30°, while elevation goes from -10° to 45°, while digging into the ground during fire), cut-off gear to direct more energy into the ground at larger elevations and wheel brakes which can be swung under each wheel - while automatic casing ejection from the armored caisson is also a welcome addition from the project, improving the gun's rate of fire. The hydropneumatic recoil dampening action is the most pronounced compared to previous artillery guns made by Nafuna, as it absorbs the recoil progressively as the internal air pressure rises and, at the end of recoil, generates a strong but decreasing back pressure that returned the gun forward to its original position. Also taken from project Hippo, the weapon utilizes purposefully built armor piercing projectiles, with both steel and manganese-steel variants available.

While the previous additions all stem from project Hippo, some other improvements were made given the time spent on the design. To further protect the gunners from small-arms fire and against shell splinters, the piece features a nickel-steel shield which slopes backwards. Flare guns have been devised, which, coupled with the previous implementation of quadrants and sights for the gunners, allow fire teams to call upon artillery support when the piece is out of sight, and when enemies don't have a clear view of the incoming artillery. Due to the above noted features, the new piece is expected to have a rate of fire around 15 rounds per minute, with 20-25 rounds per minute being theoretically attainable by skilled crews.

Quote from: Revision Votes
Revisions:
QF 6-inch Tauret Field Artillery Piece Model 1898 (2): Thanik, NAV

Naming:
QF 6-inch Tauret Field Artillery Piece Model 1898 (1): Thanik
QF 6-inch Djer Field Artillery Piece Model 1898 (1): NAV
QF 6-inch Khenthap Field Artillery Piece Model 1898 (0):

Note the name Djer is as cursed as the name Khenthap.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2017, 06:39:14 pm »

I would also be willing to accept a name hyphenated with Djer.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 37