Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 291697 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Back to Reguarly Scheduled Modded Hell (Dinosaur Warfare)
« Reply #855 on: February 21, 2018, 06:35:01 am »

We are currently above 20 population, and have no fortifications to speak of. No one wants to build the damn meat shop (or whatever the hell it's called), or even the kitchen for that matter. When I get the chance I'm going to have to get someone on that, but considering it took us upwards of half a year to build the still the chances of us actually getting a defensive wall in are not high. I'm hoping that just having the animals out front will be enough to deter any mild invasion.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 21, 2018, 01:43:46 pm »

Have a thin(one square wide) entrance way to the fort you can block if necessary, and have a corridor of doors between it and outside.
You can lock the doors when invaded, and while building destroyers are trying to get through the large amount of doors, you can put a wall in the afore-mentioned entrance.

Way Later, get a bridge of floors with a 10-z drop on either side, and alternating with weapon traps and chained dogs. If anything tries to get in, the dogs and weapon traps will conspire to drop them in the pit.
Of course, make sure they can't get back up if they survive the fall, and make sure they can't get to anywhere from the pit.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 21, 2018, 05:30:48 pm »

or you can just put some lowered raising bridges in the entry way and then attach a lever to them to have them raise on command, preferably several including a master lever for all the bridges at once

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 22, 2018, 03:09:34 pm »

I would do scourge's suggestion in between mine, because if you have problems getting a still, you probably can't get people to make a bridge, lever it, and then pull the lever on time.

You just need to place a door or two, then place a wall when something invades, which you'll have more time for than pulling a lever, by virtue of locking the doors.
You can add in a bridge later.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:11:37 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 23, 2018, 11:34:27 pm »

Update tomorrow, probably. It's probably going to involve me systematically culling livestock to see if one of them is causing the crash, or just me dicking around in general until I get it to work. Do you guys want me to document my failed attempts or only tell you what happens when it works?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #861 on: February 24, 2018, 12:15:45 pm »

Try to get rid of anything that involves a) transformations or b) resurrections.  These are the most common causes for crashes in my experience.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 24, 2018, 06:12:46 pm »

Alright, I THINK I got it to work. Either that or the crash is a lot farther off than I remember it being. At this rate the update is going to have to come tomorrow though. I will say that the current version of the save has the gallade mentioned a while ago turning some particular named creatures into deli thin meat slices with his arm blades. I'm actually surprised it took me this long to need coffins...

It seems that I called it quits too soon, I still need to deal with the crash.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:04:26 pm by MottledPetrel »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 25, 2018, 02:29:54 pm »

Okay, now I'm just confused. If I just let the game run without doing anything it crashes around the 6th of timber, but if I restrict everyone to a burrow it crashes around the 12 of timber. Any ideas? I've done most of the things I could think to do, and the only animals that I know are going to transform in the future are the piranha buds and a turtwig. I can't kill the turtwig because it's a pet and there isn't enough time before the crash to butcher the piranha buds. If I can't get this to work soon I'm going to upload the save and post it here to see if anyone else can get it to work.

I'm done for the day, I couldn't get it to work and I'm no closer to understanding what the problem even is. Here's the save. Please, I need help trying to fix this. If someone can get it to work (roughly past the 12th of Timber) please send me the save and I'll continue the story. If no one can get it to work I'll wait to see if moving it to the next version helps. If not, we may have to make a new world, which would Really suck.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13461
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:11:10 pm by MottledPetrel »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 25, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »

Okay, now I'm just confused. If I just let the game run without doing anything it crashes around the 6th of timber, but if I restrict everyone to a burrow it crashes around the 12 of timber. Any ideas? I've done most of the things I could think to do, and the only animals that I know are going to transform in the future are the piranha buds and a turtwig. I can't kill the turtwig because it's a pet and there isn't enough time before the crash to butcher the piranha buds. If I can't get this to work soon I'm going to upload the save and post it here to see if anyone else can get it to work.

I'm done for the day, I couldn't get it to work and I'm no closer to understanding what the problem even is. Here's the save. Please, I need help trying to fix this. If someone can get it to work (roughly past the 12th of Timber) please send me the save and I'll continue the story. If no one can get it to work I'll wait to see if moving it to the next version helps. If not, we may have to make a new world, which would Really suck.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13461

Just guessing, but perhaps there's an ambush being revealed that is causing the crash? That would explain how when you restrict everyone to a burrow, there is some additional time before the creature that is causing the ambush reaches your dwarves, and also how you're not able to see the source of the problem. Anyone know how to check if there are any invisible creatures wandering on the map with DFHack?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Refixing of Modded Hell (Save up for people who think they can help)
« Reply #865 on: February 26, 2018, 01:35:05 pm »

My computer is apparently hellbent on labeling ALL as viruses, and subsequently removing them without my permission. Would the REVEAL script work on invisible ambushers?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 26, 2018, 01:45:35 pm »

You could remotely kill the turtwig and piranha buds by removing crucial body parts in the raws.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 26, 2018, 01:51:38 pm »

That's, a pretty good idea. I'll try that and see if it's the problem.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:53 pm »

Also, it's possible that new animals are entering the map which are crashing the game. You could check to see if any animals are leaving the surface/caverns before the crash. (This isn't a savage biome right?) If that is the case, there might be a way to change the random generator seed so that it chooses another type of animal to wander onto the map. (Again, anyone know how to do that?)

Though of course, this wouldn't remove the source of the problem, and you might experience crashes again later.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 26, 2018, 02:08:21 pm »

The turtwig isn't the problem, and it turns out piranha buds can survive an awfully long time without a brain, so I gotta find some other way to kill them. The ambush and animal ideas are also some pretty probably reasons, but my attempts with dfhack have resulted with errors saying that the SDl doesn't work. I'm going to keep removing the brains of animals to see if any of them are the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 100