Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 291688 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Refixing of Modded Hell (Save up for people who think they can help)
« Reply #870 on: February 26, 2018, 02:11:38 pm »

You could just allow butchering on everyone to solve the not-enough-time problem. Or is the time actually really, really, short?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 26, 2018, 02:14:37 pm »

It's literally two days from the save point. Maybe a minute and a half real time.

I killed the piranha buds, they aren't the problem.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:26:47 pm by MottledPetrel »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 26, 2018, 02:46:18 pm »

Have you tried retiring and reclaiming the fort? Maybe the timeskip will get us past the crash point.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 26, 2018, 03:05:10 pm »

I'll try that, but if I apply that to the real save would there be any unintended consequences I should know about?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 26, 2018, 03:09:13 pm »

Lots of them. I am not sure what all the side-effects of un-retiring the fort, but I know there are many, and you should expect furniture to spontaneously destruct immediately after reclaim.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 26, 2018, 03:12:33 pm »

Good thing we're already too poor to afford furniture. We've got maybe 10 beds, 3 tables, 3 chairs, and an armor stand in the entire fort. At this point I think I'd rather fuck up the fort with an unretire than have the save be unplayable. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the problem, eventually whatever is coming onto the map and breaking the game will come again.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 26, 2018, 03:13:45 pm »

If you're going to retire, you should at least back up the save. Some of the side effects might be too undesirable to handle.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 26, 2018, 03:14:42 pm »

Don't worry, I've got about 12 versions of the current save floating around my computer right now, as well as the one I posted on DFFD. There's no way I'd risk something like this with only one version of the save.

Well, the unretire at least undid the effects of the dream ale.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:25:00 pm by MottledPetrel »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 26, 2018, 03:29:57 pm »

I checked the save, and apparently the surface/every cavern layers has two groups of creatures on it (savage biome), except the second cavern layer, which only has 1 group of crundles. Perhaps the game is trying to spawn a new group of creatures which are crashing the game?

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 26, 2018, 04:06:07 pm »

At this point if I can get the unretired save to run for at least a month without crashing I'm just going to accept it as cannon and keep going. In reality we only lose 16 in game days, and I think I'll take that. But do tell, did you find any interesting creatures in the caverns? Maybe a magma pipe?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 26, 2018, 04:54:09 pm »

I saw infested walkers, that thing from doom that's like a red eyeball with a smaller eye and a mouth, and a "cursed" along with noticing that a lot of the Pokemon have "<e>" at the ends of their names for some reason. I also noticed exterminating the Pokemon and most of the Mario creatures doesn't fix the game crash

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 26, 2018, 05:06:24 pm »

The unretire seems to have fixed it, so I'm just going to go along with it and hope that it doesn't break again. Trying to fix the fort took a lot out of me, so I'm just going to post what little I have so far.
---
Out in a field a koopa watches in horror as their beloved pet dodrio is cut in half by a passing gallade. Another koopa stands beside them as they burst into tears.
---
     'Guess I gotta start working on the crypt now' Mottled Petrel thought, "Who's pet even was that anyway?". The other koopa, still crying in a ball on the ground, feebly raised his hand. Mottled Petrel didn't notice, or really care for that matter 'I guess we'll never know'.

He walked back inside to designate the new crypt, and noticed some of the many, many magikoopas excitedly huddled at the back of the hospital. "What the hell are you guys doing back there?" Mottled Petrel called from the doorway, Auze turned and responded "It seems that our miners have found aether residue, a very useful magical item. Could I request that as soon as possible we begin construction of a magician's tower so that we can start working with the material?".

"A magician's den is about all I can promise you, but as of right now we have two miners and more important rooms that need to be dug out. I'll mark it down, but don't expect it to be finished anytime soon." Mottled Petrel said, causing a number of the magikoopas to sigh, apparently they were really looking forward to a tower. Auze nodded, and went back to marveling over the residue. Mottled Petrel returned to the hallway "SQUIRE!", a few moments later Silverlock bumbled around the corner and into the hallway "Yes sir? You called?" "Order two coffins please, stone." "Right away sir" Silverlock said as he saluted and returned to the main room.
-The point at which the game crashed and I had to fiddle with it, eventually retiring and unretiring to where we are now-
     Mottled Petrel woke up from his position in the middle of the floor, and scratched his head. 'Wasn't I just designating the new crypt?' He thought, as he got up off the floor. Around the hallway, Mottled Petrel could see other koopas waking up as well. He also noticed that all of his past designations were gone and the animals were out of their pasture and in the hallways. 'I wonder...' "Hint block" Mottled Petrel called out "What day is it?". The hint block, happily floating at its post outside of the bookkeepers office called back "It is currently the 20th of Timber, year 125, reign of the good koopa king.". 'Alright, something's going on, I know for a fact that it was the 4th of Timber, and now it's the 20th?' Mottled Petrel stood there for a few moments, deep in thought.

"EVERYBODY GET BACK TO WORK!" He finally called out "WE'VE HAD ENOUGH UNEXPLAINABLE EVENTS BY NOW, YOU SHOULD ALL BE USED TO IT!". Reluctantly, the koopas started getting up off the floor and back to work.

Mottled Petrel spent a long while re-designating everything that had been designated, but people were to lazy to actually do. If you actually payed attention to what he was designated, you would be able to tell that it was nothing close to what it once was, but he had no idea how he actually had them because it had been so long since he had last designated them.

In the food stockpile Scourge, ZM5, and Gwolfski were huddled together, shaking as if they felt that the very stone they were standing on was going to get them. "Hey guys, did you have a nice nap?" Mottled Petrel asked from where he was busy designating. Scourge and Gwolfski continued shaking, hinting that instead of dream ale they had likely consumed nightmare ale. ZM5, on the other hand, rushed over to Mottled Petrel and grabbed him by the shoulders. "We need to go deeper!" he cried in Mottled Petrel's face "I've seen it, it calls us.". Mottled Petrel frowned "We don't even have space dug out for the essentials and you want me to send our one and a half miners to go wrestle with magma men at the center of the world? I think you're going to have to wait a little bit on that one.".

Derpy Dev, who for some reason had carried a stone up to the surface and back down, called from across the room "What do you mean one and a half miners?" "You've been busy making doors and tables for the past two months!" Mottled Petrel shot back. Derpy Dev looked down "Yeah, I know. But me and bloop_bleep are the only ones in the fort who have been tasked with stone working, and he refuses to make any of these things with me!". ZM5 shook Mottled Petrel by the shoulders to regain his attention "Listen to me you fool! In order to-" Mottled Petrel stopped listening, and instead focused on Scourge. For whatever reason, Scourge had begun doing the robot, and it was actually pretty good. Mottled Petrel was actually genuinely impressed for half a second. Gwolfski was left to shake on his own, looking side to side, wondering when the illusion would fall and he'd be returned to the lucid hellscape he had been locked in for half a year.

"-understand?" ZM5 finished, "Huh, yeah, sure. But if you want to dig deeper you're going to have to do it yourself." Mottled Petrel replied, half listening "Great, where is my pick?" ZM5 said, letting go of Mottled Petrel. Mottled Petrel groaned "Nuku! Make this guy a datamined pick or something" ZM5 looked confused "We've gotten some migrants since you fell asleep like six months ago" Mottled Petrel offered. Nuku gave a lazy thumbs up from where he was reclining at his forge as he waited for it to warm up. Mottled Petrel turned back to ZM5 "Just mine these rooms out before you do whatever you're going to do, okay? And you're off planting duty if you're doing this." ZM5 nodded, and quickly ran to the far wall of the room where he started eagerly tapping the wall as if he was divining for something. "Squire" Mottled Petrel said to Silverlock, who happened to be standing next to him, helping with the designation "I want you to have someone engrave this image in front of the coffin for the dodrio. We may not have much here, but the least we can do is insure that those who die a warrior's death don't have their deeds forgotten" Mottled Petrel said, handing Silverlock a paper with a crude drawing.

"Yes Sir" Silverlock said, as he went of to where the crypt was still being dug out. Before Mottled Petrel could think about what to do next he hears gun fire coming from the surface 'God damn it, who's invading us now'. He walks up to the surface to see Enemy Post with blood coming out of one of his arms, his AK 47 slung over his shoulder, and something held behind his back. If he wasn't trying to pull a menacing face he probably would have been absolutely beaming. "Sir! Have finally hunted something for the wall!" he reveals the remains of what looked like a decapitated child.

"Uhh, Enemy Post? You know the koopas aren't baby snatchers anymore, right?" Mottled Petrel asked, wondering who's kid his renegade hunter just killed in cold blood. At the same time he wonders if he had given Enemy Post wooden bullets specifically so this situation wouldn't occur. "No no no, this is a raltz. Very fearsome beast. It is small, but has big psychic power. See?" Enemy Post points to the minuscule amount of blood trickling from his arm "Plus, the head is already off. Perfect for mounting on wall.". "If you want to take the effort to mount that head on some wall, fine. But butcher the rest of it for meat before you do so. And go get a bandage for that scratch, I don't want any infections.". Enemy Post rushed into the fort, getting more than a few concerned glances from passing koopas who probably also assumed that he had killed someone's child.

Winter is upon the fort, and only one thought goes through Mottled Petrel's head "I swear to fucking god, if it starts snowing and these idiots start telling snow puns again I'm locking myself away in some closet until they're done.".
---
I'm hoping that this marks the return to more normal updates, but I can't vouch for how stable the game is going to end up being. And you guys might as well bust out your puns for precipitation frozen into ice crystals, because I think this is a freezing biome.

Also, pokemon will have an <e> at the end of their name to show that they currently are going to undergo an evolution in the future, and are just waiting for it to happen. I would assume the infested walkers and 'cursed' are some of ZM5's work. If he drops by sometime I'll ask him if they're something we have to worry about. Well, something we have to worry about more than usual  :P.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:10:22 pm by MottledPetrel »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 26, 2018, 05:13:57 pm »

This fool has failed to bring the s...c... to their full glory, I am in control now! Scourge first felt the flood of voices reduced to a dull whispering buzz and then felt himself shoved into a corner of his own mine, helpless to do anything but watch, reduced to one of the voices in this beings body as it upon awaking, spoke I have awakened.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Continuation of Modded Hell (The Struggle Continues)
« Reply #883 on: March 02, 2018, 09:46:51 pm »

Deep in a fledgling koopa fort a koopa stands before a recently excavated area.
---

'Took those guys long enough to dig out the first room. Now, what was I going to put here?' Mottled Petrel contemplated the reason as to why he had ordered this first room dug out in the specific shape he had requested. 'Oh well' He turned to yell out into the hallway "Alright, this room is going to be the dining room. I want all available hands to move some of the tables and chairs into here. Leave the ones by the wall, those will go into the tavern.". He turned back to the room and began marking specifically where he wanted the new furniture. Before Mottled Petrel could even begin marking out the places for the furniture he hears a loud 'clack' from behind him, and Derpy Dev calling "Second room's done, sir". 'I guess I should set up the tavern while I'm at it as well.' Mottled Petrel thought, as he started considering the name for the new tavern. Out in the main room a passing troll cries out in surprise after stepping in a white puddle "Gahh, what the hell is this stuff?".

Mottled Petrel looks to see what he was referring to, and winces when he notices that the barrel of molding venom he had bought was leaking. 'I'm probably going to regret buying that, but it's too late now. If I actually tell anyone to dispose of it they'd probably just drink it instead.', Mottled Petrel slowly leaned back into the soon to be tavern.

After a few more minutes of thought he snapped his fingers and pulled out a piece of paper. On it he wrote 'Tavern: The Amber Brunch. Submit any better names to Mottled Petrel for vetting'. He secured the paper to the inside of the hallway wall, and left to attend to other business. Mottled Petrel hadn't done so much as open the tavern doors to leave when a shadow gnome and a tomtenisse brushed passed him and walked into the tavern.

Mottled Petrel did a double take "Who the hell are you two and what are you doing here?" neither of the visitors bothered to even look in his direction, after a few seconds of looking around the shadow gnome, Atheli Itilere, responded "We're here to check out the new tavern. I have to say, pretty sub par so far. You got any entertainers or somethin'?". Mottled Petrel stood, taken aback for a few seconds while the tomtenisse investigated the mugs in the coffer next to the door, "This tavern has been here for a total of ten fucking seconds. No it is not smoothed, no we have no entertainers, no we don't have any high quality mead for you, and no we don't have any opulent guest bedrooms. How the actual fuck did you guys even get here so quickly. For you to have learned about this tavern and arrived here so quickly after I taped that piece of paper to the wall you must have had to have been waiting across the hall.". Neither of the visitors stopped their scrutinization of the tavern "You seem to underestimate the power of a traveler's sixth sense for finding taverns." was all the shadow gnome said to that. Mottled Petrel blinked a few times "Whatever, enjoy your stay at the Amber Brunch.", the two visitors snickered at that, one of them even ventured to whisper "that's the dumbest name I've heard yet.". Mottled Petrel didn't bother to respond to that. He left the tavern as a Kalkir pikeman brushed past him to enter the tavern as well.

On his way out one of the ninjis collapsed in front of him. 'Ah fuck, just like the dream ale' "Please, someone clean up the literal pool of venom on the floor".

Now that he looked around, Mottled Petrel saw that a lot of passing animals had white liquid plastered all over their feet. Said animals were stumbling around like they were barely holding onto their consciousness. Just as he noticed this, one of the homalocephale collapsed farther down the hall. Within a few seconds the ninji rolled over and stood back onto his feet with an exasperated groan. He noticed that Mottled Petrel was staring at him, and quickly ran to pick up the passed out dinosaur to carry it to the pasture. Across from there Mottled Petrel saw the furnace operators hard at work.

"Nuku" Mottled Petrel called "How much steel do we have now?", Nuku thought for a moment "10 bars, sire" "Good, I want you to make 8 shields and give them to the military. I want you to make it very clear to them that these shields are meant to replace the lesser metal ones they picked up from the remains of the last caravan.". Nuku stopped smelting the bar he was busy working on, and grumbled his way over to the forge. "Sir" bloop_bleep called from behind Mottled Petrel "We've finished the rooms you ordered. There was some gold and coal in the last one, but nothing really major". Mottled Petrel nodded "Alright, I want you to knock the far northern wall back a few feet, and then a two by two staircase down a few levels. I want you to dig out a decent sized room each level, and then you're going to follow ZM5 on a central staircase down until you reach the first cavern layer.". The three miners left the hallway to knock the northern wall back a few feet, it was impossible to read ZM5's expression as he did so.

Suddenly, Silverlock ran down the main ramp, and gave a flustered report to Mottled Petrel "Sir! Sir! A ferocious beast has been spotted on the surface! Those who have spotted it say it thirsts for blood and hungers for our wealth!" "Calm down, calm down, tell me. What kind of beast is it." Silverlock thought for a moment "They said it was comprised of twisted plants and had a horrible head of white tentacles.". Mottled Petrel thought about what to do for a second, but before he could come to a conclusion Scourge walked down the ramp behind him a log in his arms "Hey Mottled Petrel, there's a cottonee flutering around above the pasture. It's scaring the hell out of the animals, could you send someone to shoo it away?".

Mottled Petrel put his hand to his face and sighed, Silverlock stood awkwardly "Sir? Should I send the fighters-" "Yes, yes, send them" Silverlock ran to get the militia. 'There's no fucking way they're going to be able to catch that thing, why am I even bothering?" Mottled Petrel thought with his face still in his hand. Up on the surface the cottonee was attacking one of the lawnmowers and one of the snow leapords. Neither could land a hit on the thing because it was flying, but the cottonee kept making the effort to damage the metal lawnmower. Before the militia could even get to the top of the ramp the snow leapord had managed to rip one of the cottonee's eyes out, which was apparently enough to kill the small grass type. When the militia saw this they all groaned, as they were hoping for the vicious creature that the squire had described. Mottled Petrel saw this, and looked around the field "KoopaUnknown, you and your guys can go kill those Watchogs over there if you want." the militia looked around until they also saw the meerkat like creatures, then they ran out to meet them with a blood thirsty cry. Mottle Petrel looked around more, to find that a few ponytas had sneaked up on the front of the fort.

These small fire horses could very easily end the fort if they were spooked into breathing flames and burning the fortress down. The koopa people had long been acquainted with the constant threat of life ending fires, but with most of the populous still without shells there would likely be horrible burns suffered if a conflict were to occur.

Thankfully, the ponytas diverted their course, for now. KoopaUnknown was the first to the rodents, and fired a volley of electricity, missing most of his shots, but creating a wicked wound in its lower body with one of them. Once close enough, he impaled the rodent's left upper leg with his trident, and then bashed his other leg with the handle of his trident, audibly breaking the leg. Needless to say, the watchog fell down and didn't get back up. KoopaUnknown took this opportunity to scratch the watchog in its lower body, tearing the front part of it to shreds and exposing the organs to the daylight they should never see. Then, with a quick jab to the head he ended it and moved to the next.

The next fight isn't so clean of a victory, as his first hit does little more than tear the skin. The watchog then slammed him in the body, shattering a good portion of his ribs. Luckily, the bone scraps didn't tear anything important. The watchog then bit one of his fingers almost clean off, but left the finger salvageable. This was followed by a vicious bite to the face that succeeded in tearing his left eye lid, but not his eye. A series of viscous bites succeeded in fracturing KoopaUnknown's skull and his middle spine bone. These blows did not discourage KoopaUnknown, instead he was lost in a fit of murderous rage, hellbent on destroying the meek rodent in front of him. KoopaUnknown did not pass out from pain, but was soon reduced to a pile of broken bones. Luckily, Wags and TheRedWolf come to KoopaUnknown's aid before he suffered any permanent damage. A few slashes is all it took to kill the watchog.

Now might be a good time to mention that watchogs are actually a good deal bigger than koopas, so it may not have been that good of an idea to casually engage them in a fight. It also might be a good time to mention that during the fight KoopaUnknown had been hit by a confusion attack, apparently making him unable to attack, but still able to continue to throw himself headlong at the enemy. Mottled Petrel called them back before it could get any worse "Alright guys, that's enough for one day. Drag him back to the hospital." KoopaUnknown was in terrible shape, but was still fully conscious. He wasn't too happy to be dragged out of the fight, but his wounds needed desperate tending to. 'Probably should have waited for the shields to have been made' Mottled Petrel thought, as his head brute bled his way down the ramp. "Nuku, make these guys some steel shells" Nuku, who was still working on the shields, grumbled as he marked down four steel shells to be made.

"Scourge" Mottled Petrel called to Scourge, who was carrying another log "I want you to make me a lot of wooden cages. It's time for operation 'catch everything'". Scourge gave an insidious grin "With pleasure". 'Fuck, now I don't have anyone to make mechanisms' Mottled Petrel walked to the in progress stair well, and called down "bloop_bleep, when you're done with this I want you to make me a ton of mechanisms.". From deep down in the mine Mottled Petrel heard a faint echo of "okay". Silverlock tapped Mottled Petrel on the shoulder, "Sir, there's another cottonee outside."

Mottled Petrel sighed again "Alright, send them back out, but not KoopaUnknown. He needs to rest for a long while.". The militia arrived on the surface to find that Scourge had punched the cottonee so hard that it had exploded into a chunky mist over his carpenter's station.

Scrourge made no effort to clear the blood and remains from his work station, nor did it seem that he was even acknowledging it. He seemed overly enthralled in the mechanisms of the cage he was making.

A little while later Mottled Petrel thought he might as well make use of the mechanisms that hadn't been made yet "We will have a bridge near the entrance, that we will be able to raise into a wall when we need it.".

Just as he was marking the place for the bridge a human and an extremely large octopus covered in natural chitin armor clambered past him.

Somehow, the octopus managed to squeeze into the fort. 'damn tourists, we don't even have any artifacts for you to steal' Mottled Petrel thought as he shook his head. Nuku walked by, hoping to avoid eye contact with Mottled Petrel so he didn't ask him to make more armor. "Nuku" Nuku winced, but stopped "I want four steel helms" "dammit, alright sir".
---
I'm now accepting names for a tavern, library, and temple. It would be great if they're Modded Hell related names, but any names will do. I'll put the ones I like best up for vote, unless you guys unanimously agree on some before I do so. Also, about a quarter of our animals are now unconscious, I can only assume that it's the molding venom's doing.

Oh, and it seems that the visitor-pocalypse has started. If we get any long term residents and people want to be koopad as, say, a giant chitinous octopus, I would be okay with doing so.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:52:22 pm by MottledPetrel »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Continuation of Modded Hell (The Struggle Continues)
« Reply #884 on: March 03, 2018, 01:29:31 pm »

for a temple, how about the worshiping of Raws?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 100