Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 353LL - Spring  (Read 12208 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 352LL - Winter
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2017, 08:54:01 pm »

"Very well, sire.  I will see that he has instructions to await a signal before going ahead."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2017, 05:54:26 am »

Mavi
See what can be gleaned from the messenger

[8+2] The messenger tells you upfront that the message was delivered by him from Westbrook - he was handed a sealed letter and told to deliver it to the capital before returning with a reply, if there was one to be produced for him. He doesn't seem to know anything else.

Helga
After the meeting:  Intrigue!  Get my men and women in the court to take note of a) any nobles who have left the celebration feast early, b) any nobles who are still here but with political or familial connections to Baemund and c) any nobles who were sufficiently on the fence during the kingsmoot or whom might prefer a Silfverstolpe monarch.

Edit:  Also, have a word with the heralders and get hold of Greenbrook's succession line.

The headcount you requested was fairly straightforward - the supporters of Baemund have left the capital and followed him, expecting situation to grow unstable, anyone with a connection to him has declared themselves for him, and in face of a candidate like Osvik, there were few sitting on the fences. All of Silfverstolpe supporters have been rallied behind Osvik as well, with the court firmly in King's hand.

Also, Greenbrook's succesion is fairly known, as one of the most powerful lords, most people made note of who will succeed after Baemund.
At the moment his sons Tancred and Harmann are next in line, although they are in their teen years and not wholly experienced, although Tancred, elder of the two shows promise as a knight and is his father's favourite.
[9] Baemund also has a large supply of cousins, who would be next in line, albeit their loyalties are based on blood and desire for inheritance than any love for the harsh man - most of them are at the family court and without any land, as Baemund was careful to centralise his entire patrimony.

Lord-archmage Luwald Armiles, in expectation of serving the King as his spiritual guide and court mage, decided to pass on his inheritance to his family, with a partial donation of land to the church. As long as Luwald is at court and working for the King, the Armiles family will remain loyal.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2017, 06:19:46 am »

Some time later, there is a gentle knock at the door to the King's altar room.
"Your Highness? There's an issue with your rooms I believe may need seeing to personally."
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2017, 09:57:48 am »

After the meeting, Helga approaches Domnall in his new chambers, a clean if nominally spartan room down the hallway from her own apartments in the castle.  Given his patron, of course, comfortable cushions and a supply of wine and fresh food have been added to the chamber to give it a taste of luxury.  Helga sits herself down on a chir without preamble, Orzo taking up a position behind her.

"I have a job for you, boy.  You'll be paid in silver for this upon your return, whichever way we choose to go, and a little in advance to cover your expenses.  I want you to kill some powerful people for me, but in the interests of ongoing negotiation you are to wait for my signal once you arrive before you conduct the necessary murders.  A horse will be prepared for you and papers for travel to Westbrook, where I want you to kill three men.  Your first and most important target is Lord Baemund Greenbrook, who has decided to pretend to the throne.  If you receive the order to go ahead, he is the most important target and must die.  Your second and third target are his sons, Tancred and Harmann.  Tancred is the more dangerous of the two as an experienced knight, but all three are expected to have some martial capacity.  It is best you kill those two, but if it proves impractical retreat after killing their father.

"Take this; it is a potent sleeping draught.  Poured into food or drink it will either send a man to sleep entirely or leave him sluggish and weak, depending on how much you use.  It may assist you.  Here is some silver for bribes and needs.  Upon your return I will pay you in measure to your accomplishments; the smallest amount should we decide to cancel and bring you back, since that will incur no risk upon your part, the larger upon killing Baemund and a further bonus for killing the sons.  Is that acceptable to you?"

Helga provides Domnall some silver to cover bribes and expenses, with the intent of recouping this amount from the Treasury's dispensation to her.  She also provides him with her supply of sleeping draught.

Intrigue:  Make contact with any contacts amongst the commons or taverners of Westbrook via messenger that we might already have friendly to us.  Make arrangements for Domnall to have an identity prepared there if he needs it, as well as a horse kept ready in case he needs to flee and a report on the circumstances of Westbrook and its keep, guards and the like.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2017, 10:49:56 am »

For a minute after Mavi knocks, there is silence. Then the door opens, and Osvik emerges.

"Sorry, I was meditating. You said something required my attention?"
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:32 am »

"Indeed. It can wait upon your leisure, of course, but I hesitate to say it would be more easily seen to sooner rather than later."
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2017, 11:19:09 am »

Immediately After the Meeting Ends

And so she said...
And so she said...

With zeal and mien
To gather the swords
and fetch the bows,
saddle the horses,
and calm the ancestors

for the khan did ask
for a wife, true and fair
strong and quick,
with a heart copper and iron...

Normally, Altandai didn't like to leave a song unfinished, but as he sighted the council ending, he made his apologies and quickly made his way for the king's entourage...and was quickly blocked of by the small army of royal guards, posted for exactly this kind of situation.

A few hours later, Altandai found himself back 'home', having clearly wasted a chance at getting back into a proper job. He sighed and made himself comfortable, while he thought of another way of attaining power. For now, another sock-flavoured beer didn't sound too bad...
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2017, 07:21:45 am »

Domnall had been languishing in the chair opposed to Helga and had spent most of the day sharpening his sword. As the old lady unceremoniously sat herself across from him he listened intently. FInally he leaned back.

Why not simply walk in and tell him...well most of the truth? That i was hired to kill the king and take his sword and was captured, but luckily for us all, a certain sympathizer within the court arranged my "escape". That way i can get close to him quickly and the best part of it is, i am not even lying.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2017, 02:11:15 pm »

"It would be an option.  I leave the details to you; the horse and papers will be arranged for you in the aid of an escape regardless."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2017, 06:40:27 pm »

Send envoys to the neighboring realms expressing our will to start a new era of cooperation and friendship. Investigate the state of our foreign relations.
Investigate whether the other two northern realms have any notable women who could be eligible brides for the king. Look into who's hot and marriageable right now in general.
Send envoys to Baemund conveying the king's will to negotiate and his terms.

((haven't been very inspired to fluff these past few days, but don't want to hold the game up))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2017, 05:03:04 am »

Very well then, i will bring you the head of the traitor and his sons.

Ride off towards Baemunds lands.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2017, 06:40:33 am »

Spoiler: Bedroom talk (click to show/hide)

Intrigue: Get information regarding Lord Baemund's attempted assassination, and the tractability of his two children

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 01, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »

Constantine smiled faintly at the order by his King. 'Of course, Sire. Baemund will see his mistake soon enough,' he said. 'I will see to your troops. I hope, in the meantime, you have time to consider my requests...'

The Orcs would have to wait. He disliked the thought of wasting the Knights' lives and time with some upstart noble with delusions of grandeur - had they not suffered enough of that in the south? - but the realm needed order before it could think of anything grander. If luck held and this proved a prompt and simple campaign, he'd have solidified his position as Marshal, and more importantly, earned the respect of the northerners. The Knights could not stand alone here. He needed allies.

He expected the King would join them in the spring. The alternative was not ideal. His liege had enough poisonous friends whispering in his ear already, Constantine feared - it would not do to leave him alone at court, with the Knight Master's council...

---
Take charge of the realm's military. Find out what the state of our troops is and how many men can we call upon, to start with.

Try to make a good impression on the officers and military-minded nobles of the realm. They shouldn't see a foreigner, but a fellow loyal servant of their King. See if they might be willing to send their sons to join the Knights Resplendent or support the order in other ways; maybe some will have heard of our glory?

Start preparations for a campaign in the spring. Baemund will be brought to heel!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2017, 07:42:23 am »

Helga
Intrigue:  Make contact with any contacts amongst the commons or taverners of Westbrook via messenger that we might already have friendly to us.  Make arrangements for Domnall to have an identity prepared there if he needs it, as well as a horse kept ready in case he needs to flee and a report on the circumstances of Westbrook and its keep, guards and the like.

[4+2 - minor fail] You use your contacts and plan the escape detail for Domnall, but there is little care for but no one actually wants to go through with the trouble of helping a potential assassin of their lord. Domanll will be effectively on his own once he goes to Baemund.

Alrick
Send envoys to the neighboring realms expressing our will to start a new era of cooperation and friendship. Investigate the state of our foreign relations.
Investigate whether the other two northern realms have any notable women who could be eligible brides for the king. Look into who's hot and marriageable right now in general.
Send envoys to Baemund conveying the king's will to negotiate and his terms.

[8+2 - Success] The envoys are sent to Predain and Risstan, despite winter snows and get there in good time.
Predain is wary of the new king, especially one that comes from an unknown blood, but the tale of the divine guidance and a sword make sufficient impression to qualm the immediate fears about supposed goals of the new king.
Risstan, despite being the home of the Cult's main centre, is not friendly to the supposed Risstaner origin, on account of succession worries.
Both nations are waiting to see new king in action, to determine how will their relations take off, but take your envoys in politely.

Harmondale as one of the trio of the Northern kingdoms is the key to the balance between all three nations, not only because it lies in the middle of Nordric, but also because of role as the kingdom which ended the Succession Wars and establishing the current borders. The resources it contains and the strategic positioning prevents any one power from becoming dominant, and the need to watch both sides of the border made it crucial for Harmondale to be self-reliant and fairly involved in the politics of the other kingdoms. As a results, neighbours are respectful, but not always inclinced to cooperate, willing to upset the balance in their favour.

Nordric is full of lords who have sisters, daughters and nieces, but the most prominent ones reside in the royal courts:

- Isabeau of Altheim - niece of the current king of Predain and the daughter of the previous one. Young, intelligent and wilful, she is king's Cynwyn's biggest headache. He would see her married away, but the threat to his throne makes him reluctant, as he is yet to see an heir of his own. [20yrs old][Appearance 8/12]

- Gunhild of Galsbrock - Daughter of a promient Risstaner lord, Dirk of Galsbrock. Oldest of a flock of four daughters, Gunhild has little inheritance rights, but Dirk is willing to supply the willing man with a very handsome dowry, and potential political backing. [27 yrs old][Appearance 5/12]

- Juliana Lavinia Placidia - a noblewoman of imperial blood, recently left Novelia in search of a way to restore her heritage, currently resides in Caelden, where she is exploring her options for support. While she has little in way of wealth or immediate power, she is said to be intelligent and fiercely independent. [23 yrs old][Appearance 10/12]

Your envoys to Baemund are returned to you with no answer, apparently turned away at the gates. The man will listen to no one.

Mavi
Intrigue: Get information regarding Lord Baemund's attempted assassination, and the tractability of his two children

[4+2 - slight fail] You figure out that your plan with the flour did not work, mostly on the account that flour does not explode as you would imagine it does- it being densely packed in and around the cart as opposed to being a dusty mist in an enclosed space.

[5+2 - slight success] The Greenbrook heirs reside with their father in their demesne, where they are reasonably protected alongside the whole family. The access to them would not be too difficult via official channels and sufficient reason, but with high tensions, any royal envoys will most likely not be permitted. Clandestine operation as always runs the same risks of getting caught and killed as any other, and this would be no different.

Constantine
Take charge of the realm's military. Find out what the state of our troops is and how many men can we call upon, to start with.

Try to make a good impression on the officers and military-minded nobles of the realm. They shouldn't see a foreigner, but a fellow loyal servant of their King. See if they might be willing to send their sons to join the Knights Resplendent or support the order in other ways; maybe some will have heard of our glory?

Start preparations for a campaign in the spring. Baemund will be brought to heel!

The army is made up of national levies called up from the various corners of the country, led by their lords (see tables). While nowhere on the level of the imperial troops that you have heard about so much in the past, or the Equite Brotherhoods that formed the basis for the knightly chapters, Northmen have plenty of fighting spirit in them and are always looking to gain an upper hand over their enemies, both in equipment and in training. [Lords in green are loyal to the throne and will be called up for Spring campaign]

[2+1 - fail] The lords of the land aren't inclined to trust an unknown man as an appointed Marshal. While respecting the wishes of their king they indulge you in some military talk, they aren't too forthcoming when it comes to your knightly order. While impressed with the quality of equipment and skill of your knights, few express any interest in joining. Northmen seem to be the kind that are impressed by deeds more than words.

Domnall
Ride off towards Baemunds lands.
Despite winter, you make your way to Westbrook and arrive there in good time. You are expected to carry out your mission, having been equipped with silver and drugs, but you have been given your freedom back and with a looming conflict, who will look for a lone man?

Spring 353

The snows melted quickly and gave way to sun and greenery, but also mud, floods and rain.
Released from the cold embrace, Nordric rises back to life, as people pick up their travels, peasants take their herds out to graze and men begin to muster.

As announced by Marshal Constantine, the kingdom's levies have been rallied and men of the royal lands take up their spears and shields, gathering around the capital.
Knights Resplendent are at the centre of the commotion, organising camp, mustering troops and aiding their Lord Commander in preparing the campaign. Lords of the of the other lands are yet to be brought in, but knights and barons of the crownlands grumble among themselves, waiting for their monarch to grace them with their presence, eyeing the southerners warily.

(Incomes have been deposited, so players can begin using them as they see fit. Minor sums in pocket silver are not counted.)

Osvik, during one of the many tedious meetings you have with kingdom's scribes and bureaucrats, your attention is brought to the state of your treasury - while you are the most powerful land holder in the kingdom, you are currently collecting no taxes from the nobility. While previous monarchs had various ideas about taxation, there is no set precedent or policy as such. The current setup is pleasing to most, as they are not burdened by taxation and it garners you some popularity, it might be wise to think about potential taxes, depending on your plans for the kingdom. Lack of taxes does not always mean royal favour, it could also be seen as a sign of royal impotence…

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 353LL - Spring
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:17 pm »

The host gathers on the outskirts of Teirval, a city only recently relieved of the burden of the kingsmoot now forced to accommodate throngs of anxious soldiers. Men roam the streets looking for pleasures that may be their last- taverns, eateries, and whorehouses all do brisk business.

After taking care of a last few things at court ((ie any PC interactions that need to happen can still happen through the magic of time travel)), Osvik dons his armour- a suit of maille from the royal armoury- and rides (somewhat awkwardly, unused to riding in armour) to meet his army. The field chosen for his address is crowded not only by soldiers, but is also surrounded by civilians hoping to catch a glimpse of their new king. His escort of knights clears a path through the crowds, letting him make his way to the podium from which he can be seen by all.
An expectant silence falls as the king climbs the steps. He stands in the centre of the podium, and draws his sword, raising it high into the air. Even in the sunlight, the blue glimmer entrances the crowd. Though the sword is all but muted in the face of such numbers, the blade still imparts an aura of confidence and a resonance to the voice that makes Osvik seem like more than a man of average height in a nice, but not exceptional, suit of armour.

He clears his throat.

"People of Harmondale! I have been chosen to protect this country and serve its interests. It is an honour to stand before you today, even though the reason for my presence is a grim one."

"For though I was anointed king by Grandmaster Pyoraxis himself, there are those who would defy the will of God, who cannot accept my ascension. They would take up arms, to rend the kingdom in twain, to spill the blood of their brothers in defiance of the heavens."

"I weep to think of spilling another Nordricker's blood, and so even in the face of hostility I have sent envoys to seek peace with those who call themselves my foes. These have been turned away without a chance to speak. Yet I shall try again, and again, and again- even should my sword rest on their leader's neck, with every traitor's life at my mercy, even then I shall offer peace, and redemption."

"But do not confuse mercy for weakness. Should these wayward souls make to spill their countrymen's blood, I shall be there, sword in hand, to stop them, and I hope that you shall be there with me. For together, we can overcome whatever they throw at us- God is with us, and victory is assured."

"So, my countrymen, shall we let our kingdom be shattered by defiers of God?"
[Pause for "No!" chant]
"Shall we protect our hearth and home, and bring our wayward brothers back into the fold?"
[Pause for "Yes!" chant]
"Will you join me, then, countrymen, and stand by my side in battle?"
[Pause for "Yes!" chant]
[Speech over]

Give an inspiring speech to my soldiers, and anyone else who happens to be listening.

Following the speech, Osvik meets with his commanders.

"As Baemund refuses to negotiate, I have called for a court to be assembled to judge him in absentia. Regardless of the outcome, we must move now before he can cause any trouble- we march not to attack, but to defend, although should the court judge him a traitor, we may need to move to enforce their verdict."

He points at the map, indicating a bridge bordering Baemund's territory, situated along a major road.

"I thought we could camp here, by Drepabrug. It would offer quick access to his lands should his armies leave to terrorise the realm, whilst being defendable should he seek to strike against us. I am, of course, open to alternatives."

Suggest a course of action to my commanders, and seek their advice.

Meanwhile, as stated, messages have been dispatched to the premier legal minds of the kingdom, requesting they convene a court to judge Lord Baemund. So far the evidence consists of his letter, and the testimony of the envoys he turned away that he refuses to negotiate. The king's representative will argue that he is guilty of treason, though the punishment for this crime is left to the court to determine.

Convene aforementioned court.

At the same time, messengers have been sent to Hardrick, Gertasdottir, and the Armiles family. They are all requested to ready their troops for war, and to gather them near the city of Dermon.

Another messenger has been dispatched to the Abbey of St Harmonius- not to request military aid, of course- but asking that healers are made available to treat the wounded of both sides of the potential conflict.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15