Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 353LL - Spring  (Read 12210 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! - Crown of the North [IC]: Year 352LL - Winter
« Reply #180 on: October 22, 2017, 12:42:34 pm »

She gives the exhausted smile of a woman who wishes she remembered how to simper.
”I’m sure... He was better than most, but worse than some. Or one in particular.
She gives a searching look. ”Unfortunately, he was hired not for his hands and tongue, but his eyes and ears. If you’re willing to keep those open for anything juicy during your time here, the post is yours.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2017, 12:50:25 pm »

A memory of clan intrigues flashed in Altandai's mind.

"Ah. One of those types. May I ask the name of the interested party?"
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2017, 01:44:34 pm »

She gives a level look. ”The ‘interested party’ would be his Highness the King. This is his court, after all.”
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:46:21 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2017, 01:57:40 pm »

Altandai nodded and flashed a grin.

"Perfect. Rest assured, I'll keep these eyes open."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:39:57 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2017, 02:04:44 pm »

She gives a relieved smile before standing. ”Thank you. My name is Daliah. Anyone will be able to find me for you. Let’s call this... a trial period.”
With that, she bustles off, leaving her own untouched drink sitting on the counter beside the first.

Mavi moves up to pour for Alric, before surreptitiously pushing a plate of markedly more simple fare before him. He notices the empty chairs of af Silfverstolpe and a few other lords, and pokes his head outside to see a few more brought in, just in case any others would prefer a coarse bread and dried fruit diet this morning.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:42:11 pm by Tack »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2017, 11:51:28 am »

The king enters the council chamber. His wardrobe has been improved since the election, although his clothing still has a rather practical air to it, lacking as it is in frivolous frills. He takes his seat, and clears his throat.

"Thank you all for joining me on this chilly winter's day. What must be discussed is, unfortunately, unlikely to warm you up inside. I have gathered you here to offer advice, and perhaps assistance, when it comes to a variety of matters that concern the crown."

"Let us begin with matters of diplomacy. I believe we should make gestures of cooperation towards Predain and Risstan. A divided Nordric is a weak Nordric. Perhaps an opening of the borders between our nations, such that travellers may more easily travel between them?
Additionally, on a more personal note, it might help ease tensions and concerns regarding my right to rule if I were to marry into the royal family of either kingdom. Could I ask you to look into the possibility, Chancellor Falbrand?"

Osvik drops the title into his speech seemingly without thinking about it, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

"With regards to matters of war, I am unfortunately bereft of advisors on the matter- we are searching for a suitable candidate, unless someone here believes they would make a skilled Marshal?
Until then, I welcome all advice equally. I believe we should send scouts south, to investigate the strength of the orcish defences. When I last travelled south, they seemed weak and threadbare- one could easily slip a raiding party through without being spotted, or so it seemed to my eyes. Sending more experienced military men to survey the scene will provide a more definitive analysis."

"The position of Treasurer is similarly empty. But it does not require much in the way of economic knowledge to know that the kingdom is at all-but rock bottom. The land is underdeveloped; roads ruined, farms deserted, markets meagre and overpriced. I welcome suggestions for improvements."

"Of course, the spiritual wellbeing of the nation is also a concern. I have asked Archmage Armiles to join us in order to provide a more expert opinion, but I believe that the construction of a few new temples, and the repair of some older ones, might entice the people back to the sermons. Funding this construction will be an issue, of course. The crown could probably afford it, but contributions from other sources would be appreciated. "

Osvik thinks for a moment, then spreads his arms, gesturing for the assembled to speak their minds.
Long Live United Forenia!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2017, 01:00:04 pm »

Master Constantine took his place close at the King's side. He seemed at home in the grand chamber. The knight stood in stark contrast in his finery to the ruler's more practical look.

'If I may, my liege, I would gladly take on the duties of the realm's Marshal. In these times such a position must be filled by a man with the will and knowledge to battle the Orcish Scourge,' he spoke. 'Whatever your decision, sire, I offer my services in surveying the Orcish defenses. The Knights will see it done.'

He listened for a while in rapt silence before speaking up again. 'I am no coin-master, my liege, but I would help the Kingdom how I can. My Knights lack a chapter-house, and so our efforts to find and train new men are hindered. Grant the Knights a keep and land, and we will make that land prosper. I'd welcome the inclusion of more Nordric men into our ranks, likewise - we are Knights of the North now, no? The lords of the land should happily send their sons to join an order as renowned as ours - certainly if their King encourages them.'

He sipped the offered wine. They'd need to get used to such inferior vintages here, he supposed. Their own stock was down to a few exceedingly valuable casks.

He nodded in agreement at the proposal of constructing new temples. He would do his part to maintain the light of Ilos here in the North.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2017, 01:08:44 pm »

"As far as the economy is concerned, we face the eternal problem of needing money to make it.  Even raising taxes will have limited effect, though of course the coming crusade will give us excuse.  But the core of our wealth is the land, and land is woefully divided; serfs and freemen all hold their own small strips, as do lords and knights and the church.  But when only a little exists, all they care for is enough for themselves and hiding the rest from the taxman.  No one can afford to keep enough to sell in any real amount, and so few improvements are made to the land.

"My proposition is based off the old empire's latifundia, so to speak.  I propose that you pass a law permitting the compulsory purchase of land by lords and their chosen agents so that we can 'enclose' if you will larger areas under private noble ownership, making it possible to raise crops for sale instead of subsistence.

"Is it cruel?  Yes.  It will unhouse many, but those many can be guided to carve out new assizes of land for themselves, further improving the economy, or else come to work in the towns to afford their bread.  It will be unpopular, but in the long run it will reap powerful rewards for lord and commons alike."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2017, 02:09:26 pm »

The king did stride into the council chambers, skipping the minor festivities, and engorged himself on the matters of state, rather than the matters of belly and wine. Not the best outcome, truth be told, but Altandai could improvise. He would wait. Once the council had deliberated, there would be an announcement of appointed roles and the like, giving Altandai a fair chance at employment.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2017, 03:02:22 pm »

A messenger enters the council chamber. He bows reverently before the assembled people, before delivering a scroll with a written message and placing it at Baemund's place at the table.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2017, 03:40:28 pm »

Mavi steps to the table, opens the scroll and reads it.
"Lord Baemund seems to have given his apologies for not attending, along with posing an interesting solution for our economic situation.
He passes the scroll over the table to Osvik, before dragging Baemund’s chair away from the table entirely, pulling it into a corner.

"If you would excuse me, Your Highness, My Lords. The man is likely thirsty.”

See what can be gleaned from the messenger
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:42:16 pm by Tack »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2017, 04:22:26 pm »

Osvik reads the note. Despite its short length it takes him about a minute, tracing a finger over the parchment.

He sighs, patting his sword, then passes the note along. As the others at the table read it, he speaks.

"There are those who have not felt the loving embrace of god, and in frustration, lash out against their fellow man. God weeps to see such infighting."

"I will do everything in my power to avoid bloodshed, yet I must also be pragmatic, and plan for the worst. It would be prudent to send out the call to arms, even as we attempt diplomacy. Clearly a winter campaign is out of the question, but the troops will have to be ready come spring. Master Constantine, if you would seek the position of Marshal, I would ask that you make the necessary preparations."

"In the meantime, if Baroness Gertasdottir would be so kind as to produce a list of nobles likely to follow Baemund in his ill-considered venture, and Chancellor Falbrand prepare envoys to attempt to broker peace with the wayward soul. Perhaps he can still be reasoned with."

"The matter of farming law shall be set aside for the moment, though I would far rather discuss it than this latest news."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2017, 11:40:49 am »

Before the note arrives:

Alric nodded once the king mentioned him, thinking for a moment before answering. "I will look into it, though I humbly suggest that we have experienced people look into the risks of smuggling and infiltration before signing any treaties that relax the strength of our borders. I happen to know a few souls who might qualify for such an investigation." A brief pause before he continued: "Additionally, securing trade agreements might both make us closer to our neighbors and help with our treasury's problems. You may wish to consider it as an option, my liege. Regardless, I will look into the matter of marriage - the options at hand and the advantages they will bring us."

Afterwards:

Alric shifted in his seat as the king spoke again. He had some water before replying.

"Lord Baemund is an exceedingly proud man, and a powerful one. Securing support for you at the Kingsmoot required dragging his name through the dirt. If he chose peace, he would have to live out his days in a realm that openly mocks him. I believe we should expect negotiations to fail. While there is nothing to lose in sending envoys, and indeed there is always a chance they will secure something... There may be value in sending another kind of agent along with them, to give us a second chance to secure peace for the realm with limited bloodshed - though we will need details on Greenbrook's line of succession if that is a path we decide to follow."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2017, 11:49:00 am »

"I can certainly look into the matter of Greenbrook's potential allies.  On the subject of a second agent, I do have a new bondsman whom nobody will miss if he fails.  It would certainly get him out of the capital for a while and he is a trained swordsman.  I'll need whoever the new Treasurer is to authorise disbursement of funds, though, he'll need coin to outfit him for the task and for a reward if successful."

After the meeting:  Intrigue!  Get my men and women in the court to take note of a) any nobles who have left the celebration feast early, b) any nobles who are still here but with political or familial connections to Baemund and c) any nobles who were sufficiently on the fence during the kingsmoot or whom might prefer a Silfverstolpe monarch.

Edit:  Also, have a word with the heralders and get hold of Greenbrook's succession line.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:52:08 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2017, 07:55:20 am »

The king looks pensive at the suggestion of assassination.

"It is true what you say, that if blood must be spilled, we should seek to spill as little of it as possible. Yet I worry that such seductive reasoning soon leads to any who oppose what is best for the nation being... removed. Ideally, not even Lord Baemund himself will need to bleed. If he refuses to negotiate, I would seek to have him put on trial for treason- and leave his fate for the court to decide."

"That being said, all options must be considered. Baroness, contact your bondsman. See if he would be willing to serve Harmondale in an unconventional fashion. I will speak with the coin-keepers. Chancellor, arrange the envoys. I would be willing to offer Baemund a public apology for any insults spoken in my name, and a small token to compensate him. In return, he must publicly acknowledge me as the rightful king, and swear to maintain the peace to the best of his ability. If he is unwilling to negotiate, announce that he must present himself before the throne for trial, or send a proxy to speak on his behalf. Should he fail to do so, he will be judged in absentia."

Following the meeting, Osvik contacts Helga privately.

"It occurs to me that to assassinate someone moments after offering to negotiate might make the initial offer seem to be in bad faith. If we were to deploy an agent, it may be best to have him watch and wait, ready to strike following Baemund's sentencing- assuming that the court agrees that the death penalty would be appropriate, it would be less of an assassination and more of an unconventional execution."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15