Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 114

Author Topic: Chalice: Wizard Gang Wars: Pretty Kitty Simulator  (Read 230319 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: Chalice: Wizard Gang Wars: The Return of Murder
« Reply #1095 on: January 30, 2018, 06:35:46 pm »

Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vencarlo Barvasi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gang (click to show/hide)
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 30, 2018, 07:15:27 pm »

Missed me.

"Alright. I'm not much of a fighter, but I've done something to my eyes, now they- uh. Hmm. I can heal people with magic right now, so send any wounded my way. And I've got some powerful words burning a hole in my skull, so let me know when the big thing is coming so I can fuck it up."

Just hang out on the top, for now. Could I make the whole wall stronger by enchanting it with Wall?

Spoiler: Raven Feathra (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1097 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:07 pm »

Missed me.

"Alright. I'm not much of a fighter, but I've done something to my eyes, now they- uh. Hmm. I can heal people with magic right now, so send any wounded my way. And I've got some powerful words burning a hole in my skull, so let me know when the big thing is coming so I can fuck it up."

Just hang out on the top, for now. Could I make the whole wall stronger by enchanting it with Wall?

Maybe, but it would require a hell of a good roll.

Also yeah yeah, on the roof. Raise it and whatnot.

By the way, some people pointed out that 1 word enchanting is probably pretty op. Should I change that?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 30, 2018, 08:06:04 pm »

Increase the difficulty of the Int roll to enchant, and give failing that more consequences. I don't think that would be terribly disruptive, unlike changing Pot rolls.
Maybe add an Int roll to anything that the player has to tell you an intent for, with a higher difficulty depending on how specific it has to be.

Now, let me cast a one-word enchant real quick.

"Is there any scrap metal I could use?"

If there's any spare metal around, Enchant it with [Ammunition] to make some extra recoilless rifle ammo.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:10:04 pm by Egan_BW »

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:44 pm »

There should probably be some sort of downside for enchanting. It's pretty exploitable as it now, as it's almost always better to use modifying words like 'large' or 'many' after you cast the spell.  If I were to cast [Feline] [Black Biometal] [Large] [Many] with d6 POT, I'll have 67% chance of failure. But if I casted [Feline] [Black Biometal], then [Large], then [Many] I'll have a higher chance of success (as in 0.9% of failure) and any overshoots would just lead to effect being more stronger overall due to how POT works.

Enchanting is still pretty cool and I don't want to see it go or be too limited but as it stands casting one word spells seems pretty potent. Maybe enchanting a item that already has words one it would increase the roll? (Casting [Large] on my sword with [Fire] and [Parasite] would need 3+ instead of 2+.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:52:11 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: January 30, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »

It does take more turns to enchant, but maybe enchantments should require beating the TN instead of tying, which would mean one-word enchants need 2s to succeed.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 30, 2018, 09:26:47 pm »

((I should say that after some thought on it, I strongly prefer the other option you suggested before - making spells & enchantments roll against the highest level of words used, rather than the number of words.

• Level of words doesn't currently matter much; this would suddenly give it meaning.
  • It would mean that no longer you are penalized for complex spells and enchantments, the way Pot overflow affects the power of the spells. Additionally, it would lead to players potentially adding silly or flavourful words to their spells and enchantments, just for the fun of it.
  • It would mean that really, really powerful words are properly difficult to use. E.g.: no more cheesing the roll difficulty with [Permanent - something] two (or three, or even four) word spells/enchantments - it's class 5, it's game-changing, deal with it.
  • It would still allow for same enchantment and spellcasting "cheese" as right now with class 1 words, but seeing how relatively weak they are, perhaps it's not really a problem...

Alternatively, you could make it so it's the highest of both number of words used and levels of words used, and it would lead to very similar benefits, except then it would incentivize stringing longer spells/enchantments with high-level words, and vice versa, and it could both be good and bad. Perhaps highest of(number of words/2; max word level)?..

That's my 0.02 tokens anyway.

It does take more turns to enchant, but maybe enchantments should require beating the TN instead of tying, which would mean one-word enchants need 2s to succeed.
EDIT: I like this too. It's simple, doesn't penalize spellcasting along with enchantments, and makes a clearer difference between the two. Second best after the option above. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 31, 2018, 04:46:14 am »

""Sixteen rowdy recliners incoming!"

Shoot the chairs. Coordinate with the other recoiless rifle users (who are valiant freedom fighters, not slaves, thank you very much) so we spread out the pain efficiently. Target the nearest chairs first.

Will you be keeping track of the ammo of the npc arty squad, pw?

Spoiler: Abu Hajaar (click to show/hide)

Also, got a response for the conversation from before this mission started:
[18:42] <syv> "Kid, I ain't in this to become a tyrant, I ain't an idiot.  Tyrants get killed all the time, and I got a daughter; I'm just making sure she's got a future in this city.  Someone else will rule after the king's dead, but it won't be me."

Which should take care of things for now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:40:48 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 31, 2018, 06:13:31 am »

Rowdy-Recliner Removers

"Acknowledged!"

Stay among with the melee fighters for now, do as they do, hide with them while they hide, attack with them when they attack. Clearly, they have more experience with this shit.

Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 31, 2018, 12:19:57 pm »

Roncal Roth Map Legend

Take potshots at the incoming chairs with the rifle, or with one of Abu's recoilless rifles if Corven has access to one.  No spells, not yet.

As for enchanting being OP, it is, but I don't think it's so bad that it should be rewritten in the middle of the game.  At most just make enchantments on already-enchanted things have to beat the cumulative total, so that you can't reliably mimic a four-word spell with four one-word enchants... though even that takes a massive amount of time, and isn't actually a problem IMO.

Spoiler: Corven Feathra (click to show/hide)

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 31, 2018, 03:28:25 pm »

Keep shooting.

Spoiler: Deck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dropshot (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 01, 2018, 11:09:57 am »

"Heh. So, a bunch of chairs walk into a BAR."

See if I can't snag one of Abu's recoilless rifles with a clip of ammo for them. If I can, head to the roof and shoot at one of the chairs. Coordinate with the other so that we're not all shooting the same chair.

If I can't get one, go to the roof anyway and start shooting chairs with my BAR. Controlled bursts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1107 on: February 01, 2018, 02:55:49 pm »

ALRIGHT here's what I'm gonna do about enchanting. The Pot roll for it will stay as it is, but the Int roll will be equal either to the highest power level of the words used OR the number of words, which ever is higher.  So a 1 word enchant with a level 3 word would need a pot of 1 and an int of 3. Also enchanting previously enchanted things results in cumulative int requirements.

"Heh. So, a bunch of chairs walk into a BAR."

See if I can't snag one of Abu's recoilless rifles with a clip of ammo for them. If I can, head to the roof and shoot at one of the chairs. Coordinate with the other so that we're not all shooting the same chair.

If I can't get one, go to the roof anyway and start shooting chairs with my BAR. Controlled bursts.

You get a recoilless rifle from downstairs and return to your position.
[3v3]
You fire into the crowd of chairs but you don't think you do much damage.

Roncal Roth Map Legend

Take potshots at the incoming chairs with the rifle, or with one of Abu's recoilless rifles if Corven has access to one.  No spells, not yet.

As for enchanting being OP, it is, but I don't think it's so bad that it should be rewritten in the middle of the game.  At most just make enchantments on already-enchanted things have to beat the cumulative total, so that you can't reliably mimic a four-word spell with four one-word enchants... though even that takes a massive amount of time, and isn't actually a problem IMO.

Spoiler: Corven Feathra (click to show/hide)

[4v2]
You splinter a charging chair with a rifle shot.

Rowdy-Recliner Removers

"Acknowledged!"

Stay among with the melee fighters for now, do as they do, hide with them while they hide, attack with them when they attack. Clearly, they have more experience with this shit.

You wait with the Melee fighters, who are currently still standing around behind the barriers. The seem to be waiting for the chairs to come to them, to strike from behind once they pass the barricades.

""Sixteen rowdy recliners incoming!"

Shoot the chairs. Coordinate with the other recoiless rifle users (who are valiant freedom fighters, not slaves, thank you very much) so we spread out the pain efficiently. Target the nearest chairs first.

Will you be keeping track of the ammo of the npc arty squad, pw?

Spoiler: Abu Hajaar (click to show/hide)

Also, got a response for the conversation from before this mission started:
[18:42] <syv> "Kid, I ain't in this to become a tyrant, I ain't an idiot.  Tyrants get killed all the time, and I got a daughter; I'm just making sure she's got a future in this city.  Someone else will rule after the king's dead, but it won't be me."

Which should take care of things for now.
((I'll track them...in a way))

You and the freedom Fighters on your floor all fire in concentrated barrages, trying to blanket the thickest parts of the incoming horde with fire.

[2,1,4,1,2,1 v1] (wow those are some bad fucking rolls. Good thing the chairs also got a bad roll.)

The rounds hit near the front of the herd and in an instant their numbers are reduced by half; bits of shattered wood being thrown to the heavens.

Increase the difficulty of the Int roll to enchant, and give failing that more consequences. I don't think that would be terribly disruptive, unlike changing Pot rolls.
Maybe add an Int roll to anything that the player has to tell you an intent for, with a higher difficulty depending on how specific it has to be.

Now, let me cast a one-word enchant real quick.

"Is there any scrap metal I could use?"

If there's any spare metal around, Enchant it with [Ammunition] to make some extra recoilless rifle ammo.

"Spare Metal"? Like just a pile of scrap metal just sitting around? No, we ain't got any of that around here. Does this look like a junkyard to you? Do you have large piles of scrap metal just sitting around your home? I think not. Maybe.

Rude.

Tables crest the hill and follow behind the chairs, running like elongated horses. Over the hill you can see larger forms coming as well, The tips of what look like small roofs.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:13:54 pm by piecewise »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 01, 2018, 03:02:41 pm »

"Dude, have you seen what mages like us can do with enchantment? Of course we keep scrap metal around!"

If I can do so without getting in the way of someone who can actually shoot well, I'll take some potshots at the chairs and tables while I wait for something worthy of a cluster lava mortar.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1109 on: February 01, 2018, 03:55:49 pm »

Cosa Nostra

Stop being in the fire, drop, and roll towards the table that threw the Molotov. Shoot any enemies that present themselves.

Spoiler: Cyril Morris (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Deck/Inventory (click to show/hide)
[2v4]
Still on fire. Getting very tried of it. Also dying. Help.

Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vencarlo Barvasi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gang (click to show/hide)
[4v3] You roll out of cover, snuffing out the flames as you do, and take cover between the bar and the dividing wall into the eastern seating area. No one has a shot at you here and you don't really have a shot at anyone else, for the moment. But hey, You're not on fire anymore.

Keep shooting.

Spoiler: Deck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dropshot (click to show/hide)
[3v6]

You take a few shots at men currently running from cover but don't hit any of them.

Somewhere near the front of the building you hear someone shout the following :

"FUCK IT, JUST BURN THE PLACE!"

Your attackers make a break for it, throwing Molotovs as they go.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 114