Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 125

Author Topic: FEF: Death to Traitors: Chapter 5  (Read 79287 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Death to Traitors: Chapter 3
« Reply #1125 on: August 15, 2018, 07:28:22 pm »

Lucette's eyes darted to Elanee and then darted away uncomfortably -- Elanee was clearly very green and all and Lucette wasn't incredibly sympathetic on that front. But she didn't like seeing other people cry because, frankly, it made her think of how often she wanted to do so herself.

Thankfully, a distraction presented itself -- Rune also taking issue with Jack. She shook some of the ashes off of her cigarillo, which she wasn't quite willing to abandon yet though it was getting short, and held it out of her mouth for another moment to speak.
:"Damn, is it really that impossible to send a two-person team or something?"

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 15, 2018, 07:39:03 pm »

Rune gave Theo a small smile and a dismissive hand gesture.

"Some of those words were sweet, but I'm more expendable than you know. At least as far as the mission is concerned. Isn't that right Jack?"

She gave him a challenging look, daring him to lie.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 15, 2018, 07:56:59 pm »

"It's going to depend heavily on the situation. There may be times when one person is going to be all we can send in. This decision isn't up for debate." Rune's question soured Jack's expression. "I'm not here to spend lives. I'm here to end one. Get ready to move, all of you."

~Chapter 4~

~Following the loss of Calo Bayard and the death of Marcus Saad, Jack's squad continues toward the Giarna research facility. Beyond the site of their previous battle, the air patrols seem to stop, allowing Ria and Keyleth to take to the air once more. Less than a full day later, the group comes upon the research facility...~

Beyond the small hill the group stood on, upon a rather larger one, sat a walled complex, with multiple buildings within it. Just barely possible to make out at the distance were multiple figures milling about the facility. "Alright. It's a large facility. Close to the size of that mountain fort we took, except this one is manned by professional soldiers and presumably talented researchers. Attacking it outright is going to be a mistake. Ria, Keyleth, I want you to observe the facility from this point in shifts. The rest of you, make camp at the base of the hill, far side. No fires, I don't want you attracting attention. I'm going to go and assess the facility, find out who's present."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 15, 2018, 08:03:53 pm »

: "I hope we can come up with a better plan of attack this time" Keyleth grumbled, but she found a reasonably comfortable rock to sit on and take her shift.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:30 pm »

Ria opened her eye, craning her neck back from the bag she was using as a makeshift pillow to peer up at Keyleth's backside on the rock.  Her shift wouldn't be for a few hours, now, so she got the chance to relax.

"Wouldn't bet on it, dragon-girl.  I've got five bucks on him trying some dumb stealth attack that forces us to leave Vali and Scales over there behind in order to sneak through some sorta sewers."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 16, 2018, 04:59:27 am »

Theo takes a moment to look the fort up and down behind the cover of a rock, his gaze shifting somewhat to Rune, before gazing back at where they would be making camp for the moment. Something had been bothering him since they left Saad behind.

Something had struck him as odd about Rune's earlier conversation with Jack. The likelihood was that she was Govitian, judging from her reaction to Tselino's loss, judging by her claims to blend in better than one of the most seasoned stealth operatives he'd ever met. He was wrong, he figured, about his initial assessment of Rune's reaction. He was getting rusty at reading people,but he'd figured that much. The balance of probability was that Rune was a Govitian; she could just be someone who happened to know somebody from Tselino, who just happened to be skilled at blending into Govitz, even better than a man trained under Joi Hart, but too many coincidences would have to line up, too many for Theo's taste.

The skills threw him off, however. Her magic was unlike anything he'd ever seen indeed; illusions, enough to entrance the eye and induce wonder in the viewer. She'd seem like a mere entertainer, had she not been in a crew of seasoned intelligence operatives, military veterans, mercenaries and the others (Elanee, he figured, was here for her magical knowledge, possibly having heard too much to not be read in, and he still couldn't quite understand what Michael was doing here). But given her claims, given what she was good at, Theodore figured there was something more to her.

Perhaps that she was, possibly, a spy from Govitz.

It seemed the logical conclusion as to why Jack would want her; she would come with the requisite skills needed for a mission of this sensitivity, the mindset of secrecy, paranoia and distrust to prevent the enemy from disrupting them, and knowledge of the territory. How she came to Jack's attention was something currently beyond Theo. Was she a defector? An old friend? Did she get captured? The latter seemed more likely, given her reaction to Jack and given her general aloofness from the group; very hard to want to interact with others when you were practically an attack dog, chained with the promise of execution should you fail. He didn't want to make any more deductions in this line of questioning, not until he had more information.

Theo did a quick mental count of who already knew she was a Govitian; Jack likely knew, given he most likely selected Rune for the mission. Evra probably figured it out already; a soldier of her pedigree would have the knowledge to figure this one out. Bayard probably knew, before Saad put an end to him and silenced him forever. Maybe Keyleth, though if she knew, she wasn't saying a thing. The others were oblivious, most likely, due to inexperience or simply not paying attention. He didn't blame them. Even a man of his talents took a while to figure it out.

Theo mentally slapped himself. He really was getting rusty.

He figured there'd be others who would despise Rune for being one of the enemy; the maid and the wyvern rider seemed paranoid and suspicious enough. He himself wasn't quite sure if he trusted her completely, but, as long as her help continued in battle, and he had no reason to distrust her, he'd continue to give her the benefit of the doubt. He'd keep his mouth shut, for now. Calo, as much as Theo disliked him, was a huge loss to the group. They didn't need more chaos. At the very least, he didn't want to trouble Elanee and Abelard with the fallout. He'd keep an eye on Rune, Theo resolved; he was concerned for her, yes, but if he was right about who she was, there was enough reason to not let her in too closely.

A man of his talents had a responsibility to use those talents for the betterment of others, after all, even if they were your enemies or strangers. She'd rammed that into his head many times, after all, in less words. Hard to forget.

Back into his role. He breathes out, a confident smirk back on his face, an adjustment of his collar, and he returns to helping establish camp, like nothing ever happened, as another observation, not related to Rune this time, filled his head.
"It's been too quiet. Those fools have likely tailed us already, given that we haven't seen hide nor hair of them for a while. This doesn't quite feel right, for a man of my talents."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:01:08 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 16, 2018, 09:37:46 am »

Lucette gestured Jack over a little ways from the rest of the party before he had the chance to leave. It was a bit hard to tell whether she was particularly displeased, and if so how much -- she didn't look happy, but somewhat muddying the waters was the fact that she never looked happy.
:"Alright Jack, I brought us into private since I don't want to undermine your authority any further, but I want to know what precautions you're taking when you go into that place, since you know the place is heavily guarded."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 16, 2018, 09:45:21 am »

"Not many, honestly. I don't have any intel on layout or troop placement. But I plan to be careful. I could be staking out for an entire day to make my move, depending on what their patrols look like. Every patrol has holes, you know that."

"No matter what happens, I have no intention of making any sort of attack. If there's sensitive material, I might take that with me, but only on my way out. If Hart is there, I'll pull out, and we'll put together an ambush."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 16, 2018, 09:51:41 am »

Lucette put a hand to her forehead, sighed, and rubbed it for a moment.
:"Damn, you really are taking most of the danger onto yourself, huh?" She let out a breath. "I don't really know what to say, then, I guess -- your mind is pretty clearly made up. Are you at least going to ensure not getting taken out is your top priority?"

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:34 am »

"It'd be awful hard to complete my mission if I was dead. We can't risk a frontal assault, especially if it turns out Hart is on site. And every person beyond the first that we send is going to make it more likely they'll be caught. Ria and Keyleth will have an eye on the facility. If I catch attention, they'll probably raise an alarm. In that event, you're all authorized to come for me, but I should be fine." There was a certain distance between Jack and Lucette in this moment. Not only physical, but also in the way they spoke to each other. The spy sighed, and tried to bridge the gap. "How are you holding up?"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10:31 am »

:"Well, at least you're letting us do that much."
There was an undeniably awkward silence for a few moments before Jack sighed and asked Lucette a more personal question... drawing a long sigh from her.
:"Hhhhh..."
:"Fuck if..."
:"I threw a knife at one of Saad's axemen in that battle and he practically didn't even fuckin' feel it. It's pathetic."
:"So evidently not very well."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 16, 2018, 10:18:38 am »

"There's only so much potential you can wring out of the crappy tools we have." Jack pulled his iron dagger, and glared at it disdainfully. "I wouldn't cut a steak with this thing if I had the choice." He then put the weapon away, and rested a hand on Lucette's shoulder. "Lucette, listen... You're one of the strongest, most capable people I've ever had the good fortune to work. I have faith in you."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:20 am »

The lines on Lucette's face softened at Jack's words as her expression turned surprised rather than irritable, and her mouth opened.
:"O-oh, Jack, I..."
She adopted a less surprised expression, but was still taken aback enough that her face wasn't set in its characteristic scowl.
:"I, uh... thank you. It's just... it's hard sometimes."
Unfortunately, that didn't last.
:"Here I am standing in front of you dolled up in a maid costume because things went sideways and... ugh, I can't spill my guts to you like this just before a mission, I'm sorry."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 16, 2018, 11:58:28 am »

"We can talk more later. Right now I need to get moving. You're in command while I'm away. If I'm not back in forty eight hours, dispatch someone to observe the building from the exterior only. I'll be back as soon as I can." Jack turned away, and began heading down the hill, avoiding the main path and sticking to long grasses. Within a few minutes, he was hidden from sight.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 16, 2018, 12:31:24 pm »

Lucette watched as Jack headed off, and her vulnerable expression slowly morphed into a bemused one.
:"Me? In command? Hoh boy... well, if he’s sure."
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 125