Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be worked on next?

More castes.
- 4 (44.4%)
Different types of plant material from fungal mass.
- 2 (22.2%)
More race dependent items.
- 2 (22.2%)
Balancing / bug fixing
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fungal Hivemind Mod  (Read 2381 times)

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
Fungal Hivemind Mod
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »

I am currently developing a playable civ of fungus men. They will be slow and weak, yet large and tanky. When injured, instead of blood they release gaseous spores that can poison nearby foes. Their odd body composition makes them almost immune to most bashing attacks but very vaunrable to fire and slashing attacks. They also have no knowledge of metal smithing, instead, crafting anything and everything from fiberous plant materials, weapons included. Although their weapons are not sharp, they are incredibly dense. All fungal building material is generated at a Fungal Mass (custom workshop) by feeding it meat or bones.

These fungus people will be broken up into a few different castes. (Keep in mind these creatures are genderless, and their method of breeding is unknown)

Sporelings- undeveloped fungus that are small and weak, but fairly fast for their race. Not good for much. Releases small clouds of weak spores upon injury that cause minor flu-like symptoms.

Fungal Tendrils- thin and tall mushroom stalks that are made to move materials back and forth for the others to make use of. Somewhat quick. Extremely susceptible to any type of damage. The only caste to not release spores.

Fungal Brute- The strongest, yet slowest of them all. This hulk of tissues can crush several foes with ease. Somewhat rarer than the rest. Releases blistering spores upon injury that cause swelling and coughing.

Fungal Bloater- A fat, round mushroom. Weak but can absorb more damage than the other castes. Releases spores that cause bloody vomit, necrosis, and coughing.

Fungal Flower- A writhing mass of stalks and tendrils topped with a beautiful flower. Very rare and the only caste that can take up Nobility roles as they help control the other fungus men. They release spores upon injury that cause drowsiness and paralyzation.

I would appreciate some input on this to make it better than my initial vision. Perhaps more castes or other ideas.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:00:14 pm by UristMcArmok »
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

Gigabytebob

• Bay Watcher
  • Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
    • View Profile
Re: Fungal hivemind mod concept
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »

hey dude its me bubble ass they should be invaded by dwarves and the other races are to scared to siege them
adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.

Turn those goblinoid uglybolds into adorable cutebolds

Gigabytebob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:44 pm »

oh and maybe make a different plump helmet man civ that trades with them
adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:08:23 pm »

Currently their ethics let them trade with goblins. They're often at war with humans and sometimes elves.

I'd also like to try and keep this somewhat serious. The notion of plump helmet men makes me imagine dwarves ferverishly shoving hordes of them into the cellar like it's The Road, ready to be brewed into sentient wine.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:13:32 pm »

Currently their ethics let them trade with goblins. They're often at war with humans and sometimes elves.

I'd also like to try and keep this somewhat serious. The notion of plump helmet men makes me imagine dwarves ferverishly shoving hordes of them into the cellar like it's The Road, ready to be brewed into sentient wine.
Plump Helmet Men are from vanilla DF just so you know
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Gigabytebob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »

yes but they dont have there own civ we all know they are Fungis they need there own party house

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:22:51 pm »

Plump Helmet Men are from vanilla DF just so you know

I know, I just think they're very silly. Especially since it's only a specific type of mushroom.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Fungal Hivemind Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 05:26:03 am »

Thing is, you'd need atleast 1 male and 1 female caste for them to actually breed and show up in worldgen as civs - you could potentially make 2 breeder castes that serve as the leaders of the race and are incredibly rare but also more powerful than the other castes.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 11:30:40 am »

Genderless races get spontaneously populated now. You can't have a species with only male or only female members, but genderless works.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 12:38:21 pm »

Huh, wasn't aware it applied to civilized races as well now.

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:14:07 pm »

Thing is, you'd need atleast 1 male and 1 female caste for them to actually breed and show up in worldgen as civs - you could potentially make 2 breeder castes that serve as the leaders of the race and are incredibly rare but also more powerful than the other castes.
Even though it's not needed, I could potentially add a "Fungal Sack" that has the [FEMALE] tag and have every other caste be [MALE]. They could be rare so the majority of your population isn't breeders that can't preform tasks effecently. If it's sole role was to breed then I could make them very weak and slow so that there is more incentive to hide them away and protect them.

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:09:24 am »

Should I have spore syndromes affect the entire body slowly or only the body part it hits instantly? So a terminal illness, vs a limb rotting off almost immediately

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 09:46:38 am »

Myself I simulate spore clouds as "gas", so for an inhaled syndrome you'd probably need it to affect the entire body slowly.

leoniswulf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 12:20:58 pm »

So how goes progress? I'm really liking the sound of this mod so far. Also any tips on creating custom races? I'm trying to learn so I can create a tyranid/zerg style hive race. XD

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 11:31:48 pm »

So how goes progress? I'm really liking the sound of this mod so far. Also any tips on creating custom races? I'm trying to learn so I can create a tyranid/zerg style hive race. XD

I normally Hang around ZM5's discord and he has a modding channel you can ask me questions there

As for this it seem interesting I'll toss some suggestions in, and some possible solutions to a few others.

Make your race primarily genderless, now it's good to know that a race with no genders just pop into existence when needed (thanks Enemy post) the main castes will have a high POP_RATIO (chance for a caste to be born/picked is CASTE_POP_RATIO / TOTAL_OF_ALL_CASTE_POP_RATIOS) and create two "breeder" castes with a POP_RATIO of 1 and make them mostly unintelligent/grazers. This will allow you to embark (and possibly other fungi to have them as pets to migrate with) that you can setup to just pump out sporelings which you mentioned was going to be a caste that is smaller and faster but I think it works better as a child name "Brute Sporeling"

each caste can have their BLOOD be the poison spores if you [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLISTER_SPORES:GAS] or as a non leaking gas tissue layer, this way when an attack lands it "breaks off" some of the gasous spores but without TISSUE_LEAKS it won't disappear BLOOD method would look way cooler from a severed limb or deep wound and would still allow them to be killed.

Ranged weapons are thorn cannons that use the BLOWGUN skill, and is a fungi based wand that can be loaded with plant thorns to fire(spit?) at targets
Thorn whip (fungi whip with thorns growing out of it)
classic mushroom mace/club
(need axes for woodcutting but I'm not sure what weapon that can be axe like and fungi like)
(picks?)

Unless they can't dig or cut trees but have a special workshop that needs nothing to make, and can generate "mushroom blocks" from nothing and you simply just build a giant fungi spore fort but you mentioned meat and bone, but could also use plant_growth (fruit, nuts) and plants

EDIT:
@leoniswulf if discord is not your cup of team, I'd say look up behavior tags to get an idea of how you can make the creature's AI behave how you want

@thread
Out of boredom I could create these however without OP's full vision of these creatures I'd probably end up filling in some gaps with "my own ideas"
And I'd just be making the creature, not the civ, items, workshop, reactions.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:52:08 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »
Pages: [1] 2