Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268715 times)

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1440 on: May 31, 2021, 06:08:35 am »

- Attempting to find a way to make a civilisation spawn only after the player made a fortress. Just to reinforce the impression of a world-wide invasion.

- Recently made the primary race, so evil and power-hungry it might overcome the goblins

- Made their cattle aswell. Intelligent cattle, mind you, for extra evil points.

- Currently testing if DF has no problem with three-legged things.

I dare you to figure out what kinda mod I'm doing
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 31, 2021, 02:01:55 pm »

I don't think it's possible to make a civ spawn after worldgen. Maybe with dfhack, but the game doesn't reallystrikers?

I've found the easiest way to do intelligent pets is to have one set of castes thats unintelligent and does the reproducing/being livestock and another set of less common castes that are intelligent and can become fort members.

I've also had a lot of luck with familiars in Spellcrafts, where they're all born unintelligent and thus not real fort members, but perform an on-self interaction granting them intelligence. They'll perform building construction tasks then, but you can't assign them labors. You can also order them butchered, and pasture them before they use their interaction, but their meat/skins can't be used.

Are you making a half life mod? Are the tripods hunters/striders?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:05:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 01, 2021, 01:58:18 am »

More creatures finished

-Volsung - the last of the hyperborean beasts for now. A large carnivorous ape with a pair of antlers on its head, and four ice ispikes protruding from its back. Inspired by how grahls are portrayed in ES Legends.

-Samedine - a swamp nymph associated with death and curses. Mostly elven in appearance, with dark skin, and skull-shaped facial markings. When threatened, it can cause pain by stabbing itself with a spectral needle (mostly fluff). While fleeing, it exhales a cloud of tobacco smoke that briefly blinds the opponent. Can join civilizations.

-Capshell - a creature I made to get back to work on the Cavern Fauna mod. A six-legged lizard that uses a large mushroom cap as a shell. Small, but lays large clutches of eggs.

I've also moved the six-tailed fox from mammal file to fey file. Not that it makes any difference.

I think my miscellaneous mod will be ready for release after three or four more creatures. Maybe more, because I've got some stuff on my mind already.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 01, 2021, 09:30:26 am »

Are you making a half life mod? Are the tripods hunters/striders?

Close, a War of the Worlds mod. But I think I'm gonna drop it because, I dunno, the mod doesn't really give any kind of vibe to me.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 05, 2021, 04:22:48 am »

I lnow I'm spamming the thread, but I'm passionate about making creatures, and I like to brag, so:

-Bonecracker - a scavenging monkey that roams deserts in search of any kind of food, including dry bones. Like other monkeys it steals food and items, but it should put up a fight instead of running away; fortunately it is solitary and only the size of a large macacque.
-Crag dog - a medium-sized canine, slightly smaller rhan an average wolf, with a layer of stone covering its head and upper body. Lives in small packs in mountains and rocky deserts.
-Winged buffalo - a flying bison from savage steppes. Not a very graceful flier.
-Flying monkey - a vile  wingedape tht will steal your anvils, eat your food, drink your booze, and beat you up if you try to stop them. About the size of a bonobo. Appears in large swarms over savage broadleaf biome areas.
-as of now unnamed creature - a large hooved animal resembling a water buffalo except for its head that appears to be a perfect, featureless cube. It possesses psychic abilities: when attacking, it can cause intense pain; when fleeing, it lows down the pursuers telekinetically; when tamed, itshares positive feelings with its dwarven friends

-Tree wyvern - a medium-sized bipedal reptile with large wings. Non-aggressive creature that eats vermin. Found in temperate forests.
-Red-breasted wyvern - a small, vibrantly colored wyvern from tropical forests. Mostly identical to tree wyvern.
-Scaleless wyvern - a larger wyvern with acaleless hide and a long neck. It uses its jutting teeth to catch fish in rivers, lakes and swamps, but will defend itself if attacked. Good swimmer.
-Venomous wyvern - a large wyvern, larger than a human. It's a vicious predator with a tail stinger that injects the prey with necrotizing venom.
-Giant wyvern - twice the size of a venomous wyvern, this reptile terrorizes the skies over savage mountains. Not venomus, but can bite a dwarf's head off.
-Fire wyvern - a semimegabeast capable of breathing fire. About the size of a venomous wyvern, but my policy is that a common animal shouldn't breathe fire.
-Fairy wwyvern - a tiny tropical wyvern about the size of a pigeon. A vermin.

Once I finish those, I'll finally release the mod.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 05, 2021, 04:25:20 pm »

Once I finish those, I'll finally release the mod.

I'll definitely check out your mod once it's out. Been fun to follow your posts how things're progressing.

Funny thing with the flying monkey is that in my work-in-progress-probably-forever moddings just made a thieving winged monkey a couple weeks back. Based them somewhat on mongbats from the Ultima series (even gave them the same name as a placeholder as I suck in making up creature names).

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1446 on: June 06, 2021, 05:01:36 am »

Messing around with making experiment types, got 3 for the Warcraft pack and 3 for Assorted.
-Wolf Ghoul - based on very early concept art that'd eventually become the regular Ghoul unit. Somewhat fragile, but its biting and clawing attacks are deadlier. Higher agility.

-Troll and Worgen Abominations - larger semi-sentient experiments. Have the usual disease cloud ability, Troll version has higher recuperation and tissue healing rates, Worgen version is more agile and has sharper fangs and claws.

-Stitched Dog - basic experiment thats just a relatively small quadruped stitched from various limbs and bodies. Attack dog type, not very strong but can move quite quickly.

-Gasbag - stitched-together humanoid experiment with a massively bloated torso. Breathes disease gas that can cause nausea, dizziness or a fever, moves rather slowly and has both low agility and toughness - bursts into a cloud of the same disease gas on death.

-Stitchwork Crawler - basically a Drider (in shape, anyway - its only spider-like in having multiple legs and an abdomen, though for legs it just has normal 4-toed feet instead of sharp points) stitched from various limbs and bodies. Ranged attacker that spits poisonous bile and throws sharp spines. Unremarkable in melee combat.

Got ideas for a couple other types:
-Mouldering Discard - semi-sentient humanoid-ish, more of a laborer/cannon fodder type. Moldy and nasty with various bits and appendages sticking out of its body (along with the Plague Floater below, basically supposed to be a result of some experimenters going "well, all we have left are some giant toes, hacked up torsos, heads split in two, limb bits of various sizes, and other miscellaneous bites, what do we do with them?" "screw it, just put em together in some functional shape") - infectious scratching/biting attacks, spits relatively weak globs of bile.

-Plague Floater - basically just a floating, gas-filled bag of flesh with a face/head, some appendages hanging off it. Slow-moving flier that spreads debilitating syndromes with its gas breath.

-Fleshpede - various limbs and torsos put together in a centipede-esque shape. Rather basic experiment type, though it'd be able to crawl up walls and other obstacles with ease.

-Reconstructed - multi-caste, basic Frankenstein's Monster-esque humanoids. Standard variant is just a dumb swinger with no special abilities, a Mecha variant with a scattergun in place of one hand that shoots bullet spreads, and a Shocker variant with a coil embedded in its back and metal braces around the arms that allow it to shoot lightning bolts and direct clouds of lightning.

-Spore Carrier - stitched humanoid with fungus growing inside it - slow-moving, releases undirected clouds of spores.

-Rotting Mutant - large semi-sentient experiment with spikes growing from its back and a frostbitten sack on its throat - breathes frost and casts debilitating magic.

Will probably have to think up of more later, still got a few niches to fill I suppose, both in general ideas for experiments and their functions.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 08, 2021, 11:25:02 am »

While working on finishing up the wyverns, I came up with two more creatures:

-Dire hog (Echinochoerus armatus) - a large hog covered in porcupine-like quills. Its face is mostly obscured by its tusks, horns and saber teeth. Easily enraged, but tasty.
-Jabberwock (Dinodraco vorpalis) - a species of wyvern with a loose, wrinkled skin, rodent-like teeth, long horns, and a pair of fleshy whiskers. Comparable to the fire wyvern in size.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 08, 2021, 07:41:00 pm »

I've been so exhausted and depressed lately that I've done literally nothing modding wise for like a month. But I still want to implement a bunch of creatures for Spellcrafts and change some that already exist. I'm gonna write it down here because why not and also so I dont forget any more than I already have because my brain leaks like a seive.

Werepossum - a werebeast that doesn't default to crazed, instead only hostile under certain circumstances.
 I also want to figure out a way to implement an effect that will render werebeasts in your fort non-crazed reliably, so you don't have to put people down. But I have no idea how I'm gonna pull that off.

I want to change the sandman and their "tortured child" spouse so the child buffs the sandman whenever they're near, but also drops a dagger/consumables that will allow the player to easily dispatch the sandman. The dusk troll and witch are supposed to do something like this already. Other ideas included letting the sandman conjure nightmares when under the tortured child's effects and doubling the rate at which it can use its sand cloud attacks.

I wanted to finally make a phantasm night creature. Still not totally pleased with the "ghostly"/ectoplasm material I'm using for ghost creatures. But it's good enough for now. It's pretty rare to encounter the existing ghosts and phantoms I've added, but this would be one that players actively hunt down, so the level of quality I feel like needs to be higher.

The gorophile night creature could also use some tlc, since its one of the few night troll types to survive worldgen on a regular basis, so people encounter them a lot. And other than being big and brutish and the flavor text of being covered in dead stuff they love to roll in, they're quite boring. But at the same time, being a big scary monster is all they exist for, so I dont really know how to fine tune that further.

Want to make familiars resurrectable and work better with a wizard they're bound to. Thought about making a "bind familiar" potion that will grant the wizard and the familiar extra abilities they can use on one another, like resurrecting the familiar if they're killed, which in my experience happens quite regularly because they're stupid fearless little clowns. A while back I wanted to make familiars have a giant, rideable form, so maybe a bound wizard will have the ability to transform their familiar temporarily. Though im not sure that's going to work well with them being granted intelligence already. Of course there's no way to force a particular bound pair to not use their abilities on other bound wizards/familiars besides the pair you wanted to be bound together.

Had an idea to make some other new weird critter too, but I've forgotten what that was...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 10, 2021, 11:54:33 pm »

I'm thinking of working on a mod about boats. I've always felt a dwarf fortress buried amidst dark pine forest should have boats - either for trading or raiding. I'm not nearly good enough to look at having anything to do with the boats that let things travel on the world map, but I feel like there's some mileage in the sort of systems you used to see in masterwork - constructing a Boat-workshop and then using a crafted supply-kit as a reagent in a reaction (Raiding different races or fishing or something like that). Could also do a system of coinage for trading at sea. I'd love to hear any ideas for additional features folks would be interested in.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 11, 2021, 04:51:07 am »

Doing some bugfixing before release:

-Kagusagi accountant position was restricted to Fortress of the Apes orangutans. Now it's not. Recruits are now called Ashigaru, prophets are sages, and pilgrims are ronins.

-Somehow I forgot to give wyverns tails. I'd never have noticed was it not for the venomous wyvern's stinger that attaches to the tail.

-Flederhounds could scratch with both their wing fingers and their feet, and I couldn't have that. It stopped working altogether when I gave them humanoid scratch attack; it was because flederhound's fingers aren't attached to GRASP bodyparts. I changed it to FLIER, but then I realized lower wings are not FLIER parts, so I changed it to STANCE. Works well now.

-Dire hogs have defined horn mats and tissues; gungnir has hooves on its feet instead of nails.

-Made kagusagi playable because why not? They have all the required positions, all necessary animals. A test fort may be in order to find quirks and errors.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 14, 2021, 11:35:19 pm »

I underestimated how long it'd take to finish the Primal tiles, but I'm still getting them done at a good rate. I'd guess I'm about two weeks from having it ready for release, maybe three if things go poorly. The set's about 80% complete.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1452 on: June 15, 2021, 02:12:28 am »

Nearly done with an update for the Doom section of my horror pack, only have 3 creatures left to do (Dark Lord, the Atlans and the Sentinel Dragons), though I'm planning on doing concept art stuff later on. Some of it is pretty interesting in how different it ended up being compared to the finished version, i.e Carcass variants or the Whiplash (pretty much any of these could be a separate creature in and of itself).

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: June 15, 2021, 09:39:14 am »

Right now I'm working on a mod that makes some of the monsters and magic stuff in the base game more common without making the world too chaotic, since I'm always a little frustrated by how all the cool stuff in the setting naturally depletes over time as you kill them off.

So far I have several weaker versions of the megabeasts that can show up as regular wildlife:
Wyverns (that shoot hot steam instead of fire, not instantly deadly but can melt flesh with prolonged exposure)
Demi Hydras (with 3 heads)
Demi rocs

They're all around the size of a horse, and show up in savage biomes. When I thought of how to add a tamable bronze colossus, I started putting together a golem crafting system, which is starting to spin off into its own mod. I made "demi" versions of the semi-megas too, except they're benign and can join civs during worldgen.

To see necromancers more often, I made the "mortal troll", which is just a troll that's opposed_to_life and can raise the dead. The idea being that it'll go around killing troglodytes or whatever and give you zombies to deal with. I also made "feral vampires" that can spread vampirism with a bite, but that doesn't seem to be working properly in worldgen for some reason. I might also make an old fashioned werewolf to round out the night creatures.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 16, 2021, 09:53:52 am »

A new mod is begin.

Hopefully this one will actually get somewhere that can be considered "finished". More details to follow as the mod develops further... but i'm currently slightly worried that i won't be able to adequately remove the vanilla industry progression...
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 121