Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268842 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1635 on: December 08, 2022, 03:27:16 am »

Heh, just checked to see what happened when I embarked with my non-graphical mod. Got the cute stand-in critter from Tarn's development screenshots in place of anyone without a sprite. I like that. :)

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 08, 2022, 10:39:45 am »

-snip- the question was easily answered by the wiki
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 04:51:09 pm by kiiranaux »
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 08, 2022, 11:02:17 am »

I will continue work on my personal mod when adventure mode is readded and I can properly playtest things with my new format.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 08, 2022, 09:44:33 pm »

I've managed to implement my world of wild dwarves, dark elves, minotaurs, hobbits and tribal animal people into 50.02. Not gonna ever worry about graphics, but it was nice to see my Wild Dwarves embark and be visibly different from regular dwarves thanks solely to their fashion sense (nothing added, just pointed them at the dwarf graphics).

I've been generating lots of worlds, and for some reason my minotaur civ, once rulers of the world (Urist likes minotaurs for their grand cities) are having a hard time in worldgen. Poor fellas spend more time building tombs than going out conquering.

Always fascinating to see how a behind the scenes balance tweak/bug fix can affect things. So, will be spending plenty of time tweaking my own numbers and generating worlds and hopefully interface issues and ascii options will all be done by the time I get to actually play anything. :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 09:48:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 08, 2022, 11:22:31 pm »

Nice readout, Shonai.

No such luck on my end. I just loaded in my conversion to vanilla after a couple dozen hours of updating the raws, and I can't make it through loading the mod's objects (in the load order after the vanilla objects). Which would normally be fine - bugs are opportunities - but I can't find anything resembling an errorlog. Not sure how to troubleshoot this without a readout on where the crash is sourced.

Anyone observe anything that might help?

Edit - this has something to do with duplicating vanilla files. Will continue to troubleshoot and post findings.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 11:45:44 pm by kiiranaux »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: December 08, 2022, 11:46:29 pm »

Does the errorlog say anything at all? Or does it just crash before ever making one?

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 09, 2022, 12:15:40 am »

It was crashing before making one. I'm through it now, but all I can say is its a bit finicky when vanilla files are willing to be overwritten / not.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 09, 2022, 12:46:54 pm »

I was going to port over Human Fortress and Goblin Fortress, but it looks like All Races Playable already made it onto the workshop.

Instead I think I am going to turn those mods into something else.

The ones on the workshiop have pretty limited features. I would suggest still port over those two.

I ported over Human Fortress, but renamed it Age of Man as someone else has already uploaded a mod called Human Fortress. Age of Man has some changes on the steam version though, mainly that all other races have been removed from game.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 09, 2022, 03:54:41 pm »

I have come to the conclusion that I can't port my mods to the workshop. The amount of effort that'd go into porting SVE properly just isn't worth it.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 09, 2022, 04:40:04 pm »

Splint - as one among many who's still using your content, you may find it easiest to get it working with DF classic (hopefully in the next couple weeks), and then slowly build up graphical support from there. That's basically my approach for now.

I empathize. I've spent upwards of 80 hours on highfantasy and havn't quite hit graphics yet. It's a yikes. But I'm looking forward to playing, even if it's by myself with 100s of invisible graphics and placeholders, for now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 10, 2022, 05:19:34 pm »

Splint - as one among many who's still using your content, you may find it easiest to get it working with DF classic (hopefully in the next couple weeks), and then slowly build up graphical support from there. That's basically my approach for now.

I empathize. I've spent upwards of 80 hours on highfantasy and havn't quite hit graphics yet. It's a yikes. But I'm looking forward to playing, even if it's by myself with 100s of invisible graphics and placeholders, for now.

Oh I'll update it for the non-graphical version. However just the equipment by itself will demand multiple sheets for every main race, and accounting for all of SVE's added mats and vanilla's. To me it'd be a fool's errand to do by myself.

I'd already given up on adding even just tileset support due to a combination of having never understood how to  implement them when they were far simpler and the sheer volume of creatures and so on. I had hoped this release would have made the graphics easier to understand, but they really haven't and made them far more involved.

Petty as it is to say, it's just not worth it to me personally to provide graphical support. I can and intend to make the updates to SVE (most of what I need to edit concern's the vanilla file edits along with some very minor entity edits to remove architects) but graphics just aren't in the cards.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 10, 2022, 05:46:39 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 10, 2022, 06:30:20 pm »

"Chalmer was a troglodyte religion of the infinite land centered around the worship of Kashi, a human goddess of fate."

So, OK, Troglodytes are an actual civ (cave-dwelling baby snatchers) in my mod. But...here we have a human hamlet with only human historical figures (can't check the exact pops yet which is frustrating) which is part of a human civ.

And they've formed a new religion. For troglodytes.

All the historical figure members are human. That is interesting. Did this kind of thing happen in the previous version? I don't recall seeing anything similar. Other civs picking up their neighbours religions, sure, that happens all the time.

--edit
And their monasteries all have troglodyte names. Ha ha.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 06:32:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 12, 2022, 07:46:48 am »

I've finally accepted my fate, and started working on sprites for dino-hybrids. Here's a preview:

Those are Dsungascorpius (Pulmonoscorpius + Dsungaripterus + Miragaia), and Alacranix (enhanced Pulmonoscorpius). I'm quite happy with how they turned out, especially the Alacranix.
As you can see, those are ust somewhat edited bark scorpions, but what is the Pulmonoscorpius, really? I'll be honest, the last time iI used GIMP was in middle school, and it took me some time to figure out how it works. How happy I was when I realized you can turn on grid.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 12, 2022, 05:10:17 pm »

There's a grid feature built in? I've been doing it wrong this whole time
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 121