Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 89071 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2017, 02:35:29 am »

I think we've established that Mars no longer features any of its potential native inhabitants and thus we would not be repeating our civilization's sordid history of colonization by settling there - however, the self-sufficiency and eventual sovereignty of Mars should be the paramount objective in this case.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2017, 11:44:37 am »

More ideas: Perhaps a Mars colony can be founded by those that believe that we should spread our message of utopia and equality across the cosmos, rather than just confining it to one planet? These slightly-fanatic elements thus have voluntarily exiled themselves from Earth, to begin anew as the United Nations of Galaxy-setminus-Earth.

A good excuse for them leaving earth as well as a good excuse for them gaining independence and lifting the No Colonization
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2017, 03:39:44 pm »

I'm not convinced we've done enough studies on the environmental impact that teriforming mars would have. Who are we to decide that the lifeless wastes of mars have less inherent value then the lush greenery we could make it become? Who are we to decide that our culture of life is superior to the martian culture of nothingness? I'm not saying that we'd be like the Adnorans if we colonize another planet without permission, but we'd kinda be like the Adnorans.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2017, 04:55:46 pm »

I'm not convinced we've done enough studies on the environmental impact that teriforming mars would have. Who are we to decide that the lifeless wastes of mars have less inherent value then the lush greenery we could make it become? Who are we to decide that our culture of life is superior to the martian culture of nothingness? I'm not saying that we'd be like the Adnorans if we colonize another planet without permission, but we'd kinda be like the Adnorans.

This was also a concern I thought of, but the trouble is that to properly study the environmental impact of terraforming Mars we'd need to visit it which, sadly, requires that we interfere with its surface just like our thoughtless forefathers to satisfy our curiosity.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2017, 05:00:00 pm »

Indeed, and lacking any environmentally friendly way to survey the planet, it's best if we leave it be instead of potentially ruin it's unique nonbiosphere.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2017, 06:08:36 pm »

More ideas: Perhaps a Mars colony can be founded by those that believe that we should spread our message of utopia and equality across the cosmos, rather than just confining it to one planet? These slightly-fanatic elements thus have voluntarily exiled themselves from Earth, to begin anew as the United Nations of Galaxy-setminus-Earth.

A good excuse for them leaving earth as well as a good excuse for them gaining independence and lifting the No Colonization
Ah, but if we maintain contact with theses  new Martians might we accidentally corrupt their nascent culture?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »

We are the people of earth who decided that life was  so special that we would devote an entire century promoting it over the nonlife on our own planet, we worked so the fish once again filled the sea rather than just water, we worked so that forests and cities filled the lands rather than just bare rock, THATS who we we are to make such a decision and if you thinking not being alive is preferable than you are always welcome to explore mars with no environmental protection.

Note: This is addressed to your in character post not towards you as an individual.
I hope you don't mind me sigging your quote tho, because it was really funny.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:38 pm »

-1 to colonizing Mars- that kind of ruins the point of the challenge, no?

Besides, the Belmacosans are currently serving just fine as our proxy empire and are currently enabling our species to spread across the galaxy. Wouldn't that make an puppet empire based on/from Mars a bit redundant?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2017, 05:31:34 am »

Besides, the Belmacosans are currently serving just fine as our proxy empire and are currently enabling our species to spread across the galaxy. Wouldn't that make an puppet empire based on/from Mars a bit redundant?

It wont be a puppet at all though....

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2017, 05:48:33 am »

Yeah, they're our FRIENDS.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »

Yeah, they're our FRIENDS.
Just as the Belmacosan's are?

What I'm trying to say is that anything that a Mars empire could be used for, the Belmacosans could be used for as well. Well, except for ruining our challenge run, that is.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2017, 05:15:00 pm »

On this day we as representatives of Planet Earth's nations, humble and loving, convened to talk about one of the gravest constitutional issues facing our government since its inception. You as representatives of the Pro-terrafriending lobby, and you as representatives of the Constitutional virgin soil society, together you have debated civilly a matter of utmost consequence. Do we send forth a planetological mission to study Mars and prepare it for guided life anew? Do we adhere most stringently to the guiding UN principle of Utopia on Earth, keeping Mars's primeval soil free from living touch?

Once Mars had liquid water. Again it could have. Yet by what right do we as humans possess, to make that choice? To do as we plan to do, to terrafriend Mars, would mean irreversibly altering the continuum of Mars. We humans have for so long defined the boundaries of our existence by our own limits, arrogantly placing ourselves at the centre of all known creation.
Now our horizons expand outwards, now our horizons expand inwards. Where others explore, expand, exploit and extinguish - we have become introspective, we have developed responsibly, we have conserved & protected, we have sought to uphold and preserve all against the mistakes they make that would cause their own suffocation. Despite our enlightened ideas, our conscious and subconscious attempts to redeem humanity for all the ignorance and harm it caused to the cosmos, we cannot forget this original ignorance and the ease with which we could return to it.

We called our homeworld Earth, because we could only see land.

When mankind took to the seas, to the great steppes and saw the heavens above, at last humanity could glimpse its true place in the vast cosmos. Amidst the terrible history of destruction and calamity that was to follow in the fell Dark Ages of Pre-Unity, we saw what barbarism could sail along the truth - just as readily as it could guide us to the way forward. We swore as a species never to make those mistakes again, to leave our desires to take the heavens apart. No more!
No more would we seize the Kingdoms of Heaven, no more would we tear down the ordained stalk of nature, nor abuse the momentary miracle of universal life.
And so it would be that we would look inwards to perfect Earth and balance, not between humanity and nature, but humanity as nature. I am upset in many ways, that it has come to this. Some will say that Mars is lifeless, but once could have been. That we are restoring it to a natural order, but it is clear we are making a decision that will affect Mars far beyond the human timescale of appreciation. Who is to say that billions of years from now life could have formed upon Mars without us, and that by settling upon it we will have annihilated this possibility? How can we in any good conscience set foot upon virgin soil, claiming it for our own, having been consented to by no one besides ourselves? Does this not reek of our historical arrogance?!!
How cruel we are, to gaze upon the works of eternity, to see the canyons carved by 4.6 billion years of artifice, to repudiate the demiurge's work simply because we do not value Mars without life.

And yet this present time is changing and we must accommodate them, as the tree bends when the wind blows, or else we shall all entirely break.

We are not the Celestial Imperialists of our ancestry. When we terrafriend Mars it is so we can gaze upon our mutual heavens and see friends in orbit, and it is not because I have decided - it is because you have decided, and we must obey this democratic mandate. Sometimes disruption, volatility, chaos and change underpins life, making life purposeful and possible, creating all we know in a world of orderly energy decay. What is proposed is nothing short of radical, and will be offered to you of Earth who have chosen thus: Those who voted to remain, shall remain true to the fundamental democratic principles of the United Nations of Earth. Those of you who voted to depart, you shall be the pioneers of a brave new world. When we dismantled our space mission, it was because we made every living effort to fix our problems on Earth before we ever thought to grace the holy void. At such a time where human longevity, wisdom, discovery, harmony and profound contentedness has been achieved, it seems now is the time to allow those amongst us who need to find another path to walk along, independent and strong, beyond Earth's atmosphere. Yin and Yang, introspective and outward, we have no expectation that the Martial God's world and the Ancestral Mother's world should become distant or hurtful. The United Nations of Earth shall remain of Earth, those who voted for us shall remain of Earth, and those of us who voted to terrafriend Mars, we hope you do so in responsibility & conscience, we hope you shall not let your anthropocentric impulses get the better of you when you set foot on those ancient, virgin soils.

-President Qiang Shen

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I did not expect it to be this close, so incredibly close, the pro-terrafriending of Mars lobby won by 6%. Preparations shall be made, whereupon Mars shall be terrafriended, populated, workilized and then granted independence. What this sovereign Martian nation decides thereafter shall be up to them, for we shall remain on Earth.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2017, 06:41:06 pm »

How well does Stellaris actually handle having two separate empires in one system?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2017, 08:15:01 pm »

OI! The poll made on Bay12 (at the top there) clearly shows that most of us, if not all of us, want our nation to remain on Earth! This is election fraud! I demand a recount!

I genuinely want to know why people want to ruin the challenge by colonizing Mars. As far as I can tell, there is no point whatsoever to doing so.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:19:52 pm by ATHATH »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2017, 10:20:32 pm »

Pretty sure this is more of a story than a challenge run honestly, and LW has never been one to let a good story go over tenuous 'goals' (which according to the OP have already technically been violated by interaction with foreign powers, it says 'ignoring the entire galaxy at large', which clearly hasn't happened).

I didn't vote or weigh in with an opinion, I'm just here for LW's style.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30