Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 89072 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2017, 03:33:38 am »

Does the Contingency crisis have an option to peacefully resolve/avoid it like the old AI Uprising crisis did? Because if so, it would be hilarious if we managed to both trigger it and pull a nonviolent (for us) resolution to it off.
This was started pre-Synthetic Dawn, so no Contingency.
Which means befriending the apocalypse is still possible.

Awesome.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2017, 02:28:18 pm »

There is crisis going on ???
As far as I can tell from LW's posts, no. ATHATH made mention of the Contingency, a new crisis added with the Synthetic Dawn dlc. However, LW started this LP/AAR before that, so instead of the Contingency we may eventually have the AI uprising (or not, could be one of the other two).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2017, 08:28:46 am »

Hell yes! Now it is time to join forces with these kind strangers and crush everyone who ever called us bad names!
Or, uh, whatever it is one does with new friends.
Currently we cannot form a defensive pact with them, because they are not at peace. Nonetheless our diplomats await closer ties, and the Belmacosans are guaranteeing our independence ;-;
Truly we are blessed to have such noble protectors in this vast cosmos

Yaaaaaaay!
Who are these new(?) aliens, and where are they located?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Belmacosans are a profound species of plantoid organisms whose spiritual wisdom shone like a beacon in the void, to which Homo Sapiens could not help but be drawn to, as moths to enlightened flame.

They are currently engaged in a war with the Royal Adnori Domain; though they are losing this war materially, their ways of peace no doubt heavily influenced the great Adnori Reform to the way of peace. Very far to the south, at the most extreme end of the galaxy (out of pic) are the artist enclave.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2017, 01:56:05 pm »

Perhaps and I know this is a wee bit heretical to even suggest, but...once we perfect earth perhaps we can send some hoomins to mars? After we make earth perfectly comfy of course.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2017, 03:47:49 pm »

2299:11:22: The United Nations of Earth sign a trade treaty with the Belmacosa Divine Concordat, trading our cash energy for their research. Owing to the state of the war at hand, the Belmacosans welcome our offer. President Yesenia Qasim considered reciprocating by allowing the Belmacosans access to UN Datalinks, however it was deemed too dangerous to unleash the advanced technology of Earth unto the galaxy amidst such great turmoil - even to a friend, our technology could cause great harm, and in our hands we can insure it does not fall into misuse.

2300:09:17: The Belmacosan Senate ratifies the Treaty of Terra-Belmacosa Prime, guaranteeing the free movement of all citizens of the Belmacosan Concordat and the United Nations of Earth. For the first time ever, humans shall cross the stars, with the olive branch of friendship extended!
"Two races, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verano, where we lay our scene..."
William Spacespeare, Boreal & Juliet, as performed by the Galactic Shakespeare Company, exactly 100 years and 6 months after the UN discontinued its spaceport program.

Perhaps and I know this is a wee bit heretical to even suggest, but...once we perfect earth perhaps we can send some hoomins to mars? After we make earth perfectly comfy of course.
I completely forgot that Mars is hard-coded to be terraformable. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide.

At any rate, so it is, that 100 years ago the UN decided it would not send warships into the void; so it is that 100 years today we join friends in the void, but we call it home.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »

So... we're leaving earth.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2017, 04:20:36 pm »

That people are willingly abandoning our Utopia suggests that it needs more work. We should redouble our efforts on improving the situation here on Earth, rather than chasing the terraformation of another world that people will just want to leave.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2017, 05:26:51 pm »

So... we're leaving earth.
That people are willingly abandoning our Utopia suggests that it needs more work. We should redouble our efforts on improving the situation here on Earth, rather than chasing the terraformation of another world that people will just want to leave.
I see it as exporting humans from Utopia, since we never leave earth, and migrants make their own way across the galaxy sans ships or spaceports. I presume the Belmacosans are sending ships to pick our dudes up

THE GREAT WAR
In a world where injustice is delivered at the end of a sword, find out next week how the Belmacosans realize recovery is harder than the battle, but friendship worth more than victory.
The great war was incredibly destructive. The Belmacosans could do little to delay the inevitable. While they possessed roughly equal numbers of planets, the Belmacosans were spread thinly in some systems. With a smaller industrial base than the Adnori, they could not sustain casualties gained in fleet combat actions. The result would be eventual capitulation, with the great Belmacosan Divine Concordat losing the vast majority of its planets - including Belmacosa Prime, their homeworld and former capital. The Belmacosans would be left with a small but productive Leafy world in the Kazoo system, while their capital would be relocated to the Goffia system - in fair Verano, where the newly-arrived human migrants would unexpectedly find themselves taking part in the great Belmacosan Renaissance.

THE GREAT ESCAPE
The evacuation of the heartlands was as swift as could be done. Belmacosans fled from the lands that had once nurtured their ancestors from stalks to plantoids, their one consolation being that they could flee, for the Adnori had been merciful enough to allow such escape. Nevertheless whilst this great escape continued, the Belmacosans resisted, fighting guerilla wars, engaging in civil disobedience - though no planet successfully seceded, the drain on Adnori resources, unity and technology was noticeable.

Some worlds, sparsely populated with but a handful of Belmacosans, would leave their newfound lands behind. In their wake would be a band of machines and robots, programmed to continue harvesting resources from the worlds left behind, left uninhabited by a single living soul. The Adnori could not live in the lands they had conquered, being ill-suited for the tropics, yet the machines could very well prepare it for their habitation one day. Until then they remained quiet but for the moving of machines: Ghost worlds.

THE GREAT JOLLY COOPERATION
"Verano symbolizes, I think, the funny nature of the divine. Thrust from calamity into bonds of familial unity, Humans and Belmacosans find themselves building a new world on what was once considered a backwater - a world, so like continental Earth and unlike tropical Belmacosa, yet so like plantoid Belmacosa and unlike mammalian Earth, populated by aggressive and intelligent plant life... Meaning no offence, to Belmacosans, we both find ourselves in worlds like our own, yet so unlike our own, the cosmic mean with which to build a unified state out of unified peoples in such a short span of time. And we will, I think, achieve this together." - Governor Olive Petal

REPRODUCE LIKE DOCUMENTED ON THE DISCOVERY ARCHIVES

2303:04:22: The United Nations begins research into nutrient replication, estimated to complete such a project in 9-10 years. Being at the forefront of research can be tough sometimes, but with single-minded focus, society research grants and a refocusing of many labs to the production of foods & fertility stimulants, mankind begins exporting mankind.

2304:08:16: Rapid breeders.
Mankind diverges in evolution. The humankind species that had ventured forth into Belmacosa resemble standard humans, so too do the new humans. The only difference is the new humans are considerably more frisky & fertile. This behaviour, coupled with their newfound movements across the galaxy, grant humanity a reputation deemed unseemly by more restrained Empires.
This followed a drive by the UN to vastly increase the production of humans to aid our Belmacosan allies to rapidly populate their backwater planets, turning them from underdeveloped agrarian swamplands into thriving dens of forestry and city.
Mankind's reproductive abilities would certainly be put to the test. The way the game's mechanics work, food production bonuses to population growth stop being so dramatic once you've got your first colony. However, if you have only one planet and instead export your pops to another Empire - you can drastically drive up pop growth. With 100% habitability reducing the cost of pop growth, with agrarian Governors, Presidents, technology, edicts and happiness I managed to get the population growth bonus from food to reach above 150%, without factoring in the +15% pop growth from rapid breeding or +10% from genome sequencing, and I'm gunning for the +10% from the expansion traditions. Coupled with humanity's nomadic trait, this makes Earth into the #1 exporter of humans anywhere in the galaxy at any time!

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2017, 06:11:28 pm »

That's gonna be a lot of babies, I wonder how well wet nurses are doing, shame humans have only two breasts, that might be holding back our litter sizes even with all this increased fertility.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2017, 06:24:48 pm »

That's gonna be a lot of babies, I wonder how well wet nurses are doing, shame humans have only two breasts, that might be holding back our litter sizes even with all this increased fertility.
We spent a decade researching nutrient replication, I imagine a great deal of that research went into providing a hyperspace-age version of today's milk formulas

2306:04:08: The Belmacosan Divine Concordat give the UN their star charts, which allows the UN to keep track of human pops and make sure they're happy. When observed, it appeared apparant that wherever they went, the humans were making more utopias for their friends.

2306:10:18 Utopian Economics are reinstated on Earth, officially putting an end to the state of emergency. Mankind would be celebrating if it wasn't already celebrating all-year round.

2316:10:04: For the first time in history, the total biomass of humans per pops exceeds the Mandasurans.

2318:11:28: President Qiang Shen is elected, placing Earth in the hands of an agrarian President and an Agrarian Governor, both committed to really raising Earth's fertility through the roof.

2321:10:23: Research into Zro distillation and transgenic crops raises food production further and opens the possibility of research into psionics.

2324:06:05: "The United Nations of Earth is proud to support our Belmacosan friends in these testing times. For this reason we are sending 1,000 kilomins worth of products and materiel with which to create an industrial base from whole-cloth, and fund additional colony projects to house Belmacosans fleeing Adnori persecution. May you suckle from our teats, and realize that though Earth may be small, her mammals are maternal creatures." - Director General Marjorie Emerson.
In a bizarre twist of fate, tiny Earth single-handedly funds the rapidly industrializing giant of the Second Belmacosan Divine Concordat. Though our income does not compare to the greater giants, the very fact that our expenses are so minimal allows us to accrue ludicrously large quantities of materiel and cash. We Utopia Now

Spoiler: 2325:04:03 (click to show/hide)
Brown Nectar arrives near the Sol System, presumably picking up Terrans before sailing off for Belmacosan space.

2327:04:01: Belmacosa pops only number 2 in their former homelands; however, as unfortunate as that may be, all Belmacosans have found a home in the Second Belmacosan Concordat, and the last two pops are in the process of relocating. What's more, despite owning fewer planets, the Second Belmacosan Concordat is more productive per pop and more powerful as a whole than the previous iteration, being more urban/forestized.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2017, 06:29:07 pm »

This is amazballs. Whats next are we going to to run into some inter-dimensional horrors and teach them about the values of truth and love?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2017, 06:35:20 pm »

Current control of the known Northwards Galactic States. While it may appear to be that the Adnoran State is the undisputed superpower, appearances can be deceiving. For starters, even after sustaining casualties in war, the Belmacosans had the 2nd largest total galactic population of any species. The great evacuation of the Belmacosans from sparsely-populated colonies whose industries mostly revolved around sustaining their populations meant that the Belmacosan population was working against them, not for them. By having all of their pops flee into fewer, more developed/developing colonies, the Belmacosan populations became vastly more productive and contributed far more in excess to the greater good than they took out individually. That's without considering the addition of human workers, whom migrated about these times:
2300:07:15: Homo Sapiens pop to fair Verano
2306:01:08: Homo Sapiens pop to fair Verano
2309:04:06: L. Homo Sapiens pop to fair Verano
2312:08:04: L. Homo Sapiens pop to Nookomis Giizhig
2315:12:10: L. Homo Sapiens pop to Nookomis Giizhig
2319:03:01: L. Homo Sapiens pop to Nookomis Giizhig
2322:06:01: L. Homo Sapiens pop to Nookomis Giizhig
2325:06:01: L. Homo Sapiens pop to Nookomis Giizhig
2328:07:12: L. Homo Sapiens pop to Mosshame
Which means that between 2306-2328, every 3 1/4 years Earth sent out a pop to join the workforce in rapidly workilizing Concordat planets (and is still sending forth pops). That is also not including the pops produced by humans who made it to these workilizing planets.

Link to image. This map is a rough star map which features the planets of the known galaxy and the populations inhabiting them. Keep in mind this corresponds to our star charts, so I've missed one Adnori planet whose population remains unknown to us and don't know if this is the full extent of the galaxy. Each solid square is equivalent to 1 pop, and so each area denotes how much space is taken up by that pop species on a planet. Not included are the planet sizes, so some of the smaller areas aren't 1 pop size planets, just planets which have 1 pop on them.
Things to note:
  • There are a few planetary clusters, usually formed around where a civilization started. Otherwise... The galaxy appears to be a cosmic desert of barren solar systems, incapable of sustaining life, split by rare oases of advanced life. The space inhabited by the UN of Earth and the Mandasuran Berserkers is actually very dense in habitable planets, but is unusable because both galactic states either cannot nor will not use them, and refuse to let anyone else touch them. Obviously we won't because we must protect our precious galactic oasis in its most pristine state, for as long as our voidless imperative is in effect.
  • While the Adnori State seems immensely and awesomely overpowering, it is split into three distinct segments; the core three at the top, which are its most developed and ancestral lands, the annexed fringe which are still developing in places, and the machine crescent - the former homelands of the Belmacosa, now sparsely populated by a skeleton crew of robots. While their vast galactic control allows them to create and upkeep a large standing fleet, it is causing considerable burden in their Research & Development departments, their Unity and population upkeep. Furthermore, the crisis of the Adnori succession fractured a coherent strategy on the Belmacosan. When they were still fanatical purifiers, the elimination of the Belmacosan would have removed a rival at no continued cost for the Adnori. But by conquering the Belmacosa planets, the Adnori incur the costs of continued occupation, whilst having failed to eliminate the productivity of the Belmacosan - who, having fled east, have set up the even more productive Second Belmacosan Divine Concordat. Furthermore, for as long as the Adnori continue to pay the upkeep of the machine crescent, they will continue to expand their military-industrial complex at the expense of their technological progress and their people's unity. Once the rudimentary machines start getting replaced by more complex ones, it will be interesting to see what the machine crescent will end up birthing.
  • The Adnori and Belmacosa are both poorly built for adapting to different climates. This causes them to reproduce slower on colonized planets, especially ones of different terrain. Humans are adaptable however, and with the continuous export of humans from Earth, the Belmacosans have an advantage in rapidly being able to expand its population. Coupled with Earthling industrial support, this has made for a stunningly rapid recovery from the brink of defeat.
  • Of adorable note is that fair Verano contains L. Homo Sapiens, Homo Sapiens and Belmacosans, and there is another world that is majority Homo Sapiens with a L. Homo Sapiens minority. Should we ever develop a more militant style of diplomacy, I daresay we should bring a colony of original humans back home. Until then, where Belmacosa go, we will export humans to support them.
This is amazballs. Whats next are we going to to run into some inter-dimensional horrors and teach them about the values of truth and love?
I sure hope so. Also of note is that after this post I'm gonna try update the save to the current game version and hope things don't horrendously bug out ;]

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2017, 06:42:12 pm »

I am totally okay with us making mars into second utopia, because the only thing better than utopia is utopia squared.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2017, 07:18:30 pm »

Strawpoll: Should we colonize mars? It'd involve the construction of a spaceport, space station, a science vessel and a construction ship.
Whether or not we dismantled them afterwards, we'd have to rest uneasy knowing the UN flag flew above Earth, not on it.

Pros:
*Twotopia
*Could potentially use Mars as an immigrant magnet to bring a pop of Homo Sapiens classic back
*Could use the science vessel needed to scan Mars to find regen hull, crystal plating hull tech just in case something causes animal extinction
*Not leaving the starting solar system

Cons:
*Requires building in space
*Requires colonization
*Requires space vessels
*Might slow down Earth's relentless multiplication just a bit
*Leaves Earth

If we do choose to colonize Mars, I envisage two possible routes to pursue it. Either we administer Mars as with Earth, with no spaceports or anything of the sort, treating this from here on out as Never Leave Sol. Alternatively, colonize Mars, build it up, then give Mars independence as its own sovereign entity. This would preserve the continuity of not leaving Earth, while nonetheless giving Mars life - and could potentially see a Martian Humanity going forth to do their own adventures.
While the poll polls we shall remain pure to the cause of leaving the Sol system untouched, our space unblemished.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2017, 08:05:06 pm »

"Citizens of Earth, long ago Mars had a climate much like our own- one which could sustain life. But without anyone to protect and preserve it like we have Earth, it fell into a cycle of destruction which lead it to what it is today.

What I propose is that we restore Mars to its former glory- what should have been, and what shall be again! Let us restore and preserve it in its former, pristine state!"

((If we do this, perhaps the thread should be renamed to "Stellaris: Never Leave Sol"?))
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30