Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Hive Race: An Asymmetric Arms Race Game [Core Thread]  (Read 9315 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: An Asymmetric Arms Race Game [Core Thread]
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2017, 08:37:20 am »

If you can successfully murder every last man standing in a fortification, you take it even if you don't have the TC.  Be aware that you need to murder every last man standing to do that, though.  One Aphrokema can hold a fort, Rambo-style, presumably by luring enemies into pit traps and putting up scarecrows in windows with the spears of his or her fallen brethren to trick the drones down below into assuming a much larger force.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2017, 04:27:08 pm »

Well now we are going to have to design a massive ball of hardened carapace with a tiny little hint of beetle in the middle with such a low metabolic rate that it can completely seal itself for a decade and even the G.M. can't tell if it is still alive. Those pesky humans will have to completely dismantle the gate in order to roll the thing out of the castle...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2017, 04:29:13 pm »

We'll just seal it up in concrete then. Or water or anything else. Can't live if it's drowning.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2017, 04:33:51 pm »

Have you been paying any attention to the terrain your workers are splorshing through? We're throwing absurd numbers of slaves around; your armor ball in a fortress is useless.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2017, 04:35:22 pm »

Yeah. Kinda silly really.

The faction whose defining charesteristic is supposed to High reinforcement rate is being zerg rushed with cheap cannonfodder.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2017, 04:48:01 pm »

Yeah. Kinda silly really.

The faction whose defining charesteristic is supposed to High reinforcement rate is being zerg rushed with cheap cannonfodder.

I'll be 100% honest with you: I really, really didn't expect to actually push you lot back to Menatos on any front, I was predicting losing ground on all three...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2017, 04:52:38 pm »

It doesn't seem silly in retrospace though. You have nearly as much reinforcement on front 1 as we have over all 3 fronts together.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2017, 05:04:15 pm »

We'll just seal it up in concrete then. Or water or anything else. Can't live if it's drowning.
It is already sealed. It has a significant air-pocket inside and an extremely slow metabolism because all that it needs to do is count as alive and inside the fortress. It suffocates itself deliberately because it can hold its breath well.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 05:10:40 pm »

I'll be 100% honest with you: I really, really didn't expect to actually push you lot back to Menatos on any front, I was predicting losing ground on all three...
Well, I mean, unless there is some effect lowering our TC on front one, we shouldn't have actually been driven back there? If the surmised relationship of one Hive unit = one TC (based on the other two fronts) is correct, then we should've had 440 TC, which is more than half the League's TC there.

It is, of course, totally possible that there is an effect that lowered our TC on that front. Perhaps some magic that we weren't informed of? You guys would let us know if you had secret TC reduction magic, right?
Or perhaps our number of units was misreported, and we actually have 309 units on front one.
(It is also, in theory, possible that the One Unit=One TC seen on fronts 2 & 3 is not true, and that they just happened to match up on two fronts by coincidence)
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2017, 12:01:52 pm »

I think different units are worth different TC, and also different combat power, given what warriors are.

But I think (as long as we don't take Menatos) the game will be evening out very quickly.
Turns out The League has a mess of other issues which need fixing in the background, whilst the hive can be all combat all the time
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2017, 12:09:20 pm »

I think different units are worth different TC, and also different combat power, given what warriors are.
If you count up the number of Hive units on fronts 2 & 3, you'll find it is exactly the same as the Hive's TC on those fronts.
Combat power is absolutely different. But so far, I think all our units are worth 1 TC. That might change if we design a unit specifically designed to hold territory.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 08:03:23 am »

A number of bugs have been fixed!  Things should be a bit less screwy on the reinforcement front next turn.  Should have the error margin down to about 1% or less.

Also, Damage Types are now live!  As are Resistances.  Spitters now do actual 'acid' damage, while everything else does 'physical' damage.  Boats are now 15% vulnerable to fire!  I don't think any other damage types exist yet, but the possibility is now there!

Edit:  Under the Hood, I've added an extra variable that increases the amount of timber ships are allotted, since they were getting less timber than they should - now they're getting the right amounts of timber - there should be an increase in ships produced this coming turn, up to the level they should be at.

Edit 2:

A Clarification

On your status reports, which look something like this:

==The Divided States of Generica==

Production: 200/1000 ore, 460/1000 timber, 300/1000 training
Manpower: 8000/10,000 {500/turn}

Where numbers are divided like so: 200/1000 ore, these numbers represent Resources in Use / Resource Capacity, or the total amount you produce full stop.  Units cost resources to maintain, so the DSG above can only spend 800 ore, 540 timber and 700 training next turn.

Manpower works slightly differently; Generica is currently supporting 8000 manpower's worth of troops.  This turn it received 500 manpower (and expects to do so again), so next turn that will read 8500/10,000 unless it loses troops to battle.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:34:22 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 09:37:51 pm »

LEGIOS ASTARTES, HAK HAK, UTANI!

DESIOS CRAFF. PURGH, PURGH AND RIP DEH LEAGUE

HEEH HIVE DELORES!

Spoiler: Translation. (click to show/hide)
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:13 pm »

A number of bugs have been fixed!
They were "improved"! To be "fixed" implies that they was something wrong with them. That can never be anything wrong with a bug. To see such blatant bias from the G.M., tsk tsk, for shame!

The League must be united!
 With fava beans and a nice chianti!
 Or just dipped in mayonnaise. An unrefined palate need not be an unworthy one...
Read the First Post!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2017, 03:20:47 pm »

We have a Discords, after request.

Discord.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:25:36 pm by Iituem »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8