Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Hive Race: An Asymmetric Arms Race Game [Core Thread]  (Read 9301 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hive Race: An Asymmetric Arms Race Game [Core Thread]
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:59 am »

HIVE RACE

Asymmetric Arms Race game.  One side plays a Wands Race style human alliance of Classical city-states that have just discovered the rudiments of magic.  The other side play a hive mind race of insectoid conquerers, able to alter their own genetic code to produce new forms of workers and warriors.  Both sides are capable of mundane innovation, but the hive race is incapable of using magic and the humans are incapable of modifying their own genetics in the same manner the hive race can.

The League is a fragile alliance of Bronze Age human city states joined together by the threat of an emerging menace that has already consumed one of their brightest city-states and threatens to overturn all of the Hadaean Archipelago.  Their scholars have just rediscovered the fundaments of magic alongside the new threat, and hope to wield this new power against their scourge.

The Hive is a hive-mind collective of insectoid drones, freshly resurrected from their ancient slumber.  Massively outnumbered at first, the Hive has a lower variety of troops, doesn't really use tools, and cannot use magic.  They have two advantages; a phenomenal rate of reproduction and the ability to re-shape future generations at the whim of their queens.

You can join the Hive here.

You can join the League here.

Discord.

Please note that you can only play for one side, so once you declare yourself for a side you can only read and participate in that thread.  Don't cheat, nobody will appreciate it and it ruins the fun of the game.  You can throw sass at one another here in the main thread just fine.

Also, please remember the cardinal rule:  Don't be a dick.  Vigorous discussion is fine, personal attacks on your rivals (out of character) are not.  If you have to ask "Am I being a dick?", you're being a dick.  Don't be a dick.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Warfare Under the Hood (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Initial Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: League Starting Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hive Starting Units (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:26:06 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: An Asymmetric Arms Race Game [Core Thread]
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:55:41 am »

Hey, why not. You can never have too many arms races, right?
Right?

Anyway. I'm gonna join the Hive, because I like underdogs.

A question, though. I notice the starting tech for both sides is not mentioned here. Are we allowed to look at the opposing thread's OP to know what we're facing, or is even that meant to be a mystery to start with?
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:00:24 am »

Hrm.  Good point.  I'll post a truncated version of both here in the OP.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:09:04 am »

For the Hive

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:13:44 am »

Hmm. That makes four for the hive already, with no one in the League. Join the puny humans! Otherwise we won't have anyone to kill :/
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:17:08 am »

I'll join League.

But I won't be doing ANYTHING more than posting this (Haven't even read through the rules yet) til Friday evening.

So probably nothing until Saturday morning.

If nobody else joins the League, feel free to blame me for all your "Game is not moving" problems. I will gladly take credit.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:31:16 am »

This is just way too interesting. I'll be spectating both sides.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:50:56 am »

I think I'll go with the league, at least to allow the game to run. Much as I would prefer to be an insectoid nightmare.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:58:22 am »

Do I have time for another Arms Race game?... I guess so. So onwards to The League I go!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:19:39 am »

I'll go for the League, I got the time.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 12:03:13 pm »

One more for the league!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:33:47 pm »

I've noticed that neither side has a listing for their reinforcement rates. Is that intentional?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 01:39:37 pm »

I've noticed that neither side has a listing for their reinforcement rates. Is that intentional?

They do now.  Needed to get the first pre-turn up.  You should have reinforcement rates for your own (and your enemy's) side, based off what you've observed about their force arrangements.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:22 pm »

Just going to observe.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 06:34:56 pm »

Viable Strategy Actions

I've been asked to provide examples of viable actions in the strategy phase.  Here are a few.  Sometimes an action will not cost a die to implement, if a decision needs to be made anyway - if this happens it will be explicitly stated.

- Construct/Raze a fortification in owned territory.
- Change which National Effort is being built (if there is a choice between multiple).
- Decide where the National Effort is deployed.  Free action, never costs a die.
- Change which cities are sending forces to which Fronts.  (Can do multiple at once.)
- Change the Budget.*  [More than 10%.]
- Colonise a new territory.
- Rebuild a city or ship extra immigrants to it to help it grow.
- Try to build some sort of megaproject (assuming you've researched some sort of megaproject).  No idea what this would even involve yet.

* Edit:  You may change the Budget for your side as a free action, so long as you do not change more than 10%; i.e. taking up to 10% from other assets and diverting them to a new one.  More than this requires significant re-tooling of production.

Note that implementing a new strategic or tactical doctrine is a Design action (or Revision to revise an existing one).  Neither side currently employs tactics beyond 'charge them and flank if you can'; these must be researched.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:20:58 am by Iituem »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8