Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159635 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1200 on: August 07, 2017, 04:41:20 pm »

Er. The Windrider is missing from the Projects spoiler.

Anyway. That could've gone worse. Could also have gone better. So, hmm. Do we want to try for the potentially impossible APT Crystals? A guaranteed six on efficacy would be great, unless Draignean decides it can't be done, in which case it would be a disaster.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:54:18 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 07, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »

I propose we save the credit for now, and have no design this turn.

For resource effectiveness sake, I'd like to be able to deploy 4 dice on each design, giving us 1 free progress. As we need to more than 1 revision this turn, that isn't possible.

Design :   None

For revisions, we want to fix the fuses and try the Ishtana canons again.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:04:32 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: August 07, 2017, 11:17:52 pm »

Er. The Windrider is missing from the Projects spoiler.

Anyway. That could've gone worse. Could also have gone better. So, hmm. Do we want to try for the potentially impossible APT Crystals? A guaranteed six on efficacy would be great, unless Draignean decides it can't be done, in which case it would be a disaster.

I will let you know if something is flatly impossible.

Most things are possible, though the first run at creating an entirely new crystal matrix will likely encounter unforeseen and unforeseeable deviations from the ideal design.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 08, 2017, 03:42:54 am »

Guys, I just thought of something that might just let our skiffs actually inflict damage to the Kunai. So here is my proposal for a tactic:

A Most Dangerous Game
Ships following this tactic undergo a risky, but potentially high reward maneuver: Charging straight at the enemy ship, disengaging their shroud shortly before it would collide with theirs, and pulling up next to the ship so that our guns would reside within their shroud, allowing us to fire at their ship with impunity.

Captains following this tactic will be told to only attempt it against enemy ships of sufficiently larger size, as a skiff attempting to get within the shroud of another skiff would be problematic at best.

Risky? Almost certainly yes. I'd expect to lose a few skiffs just from going in. But the Kunai has no side guns, can't exactly rotate without physically hitting our skiff at these ranges, and the simple fact that we managed to get away cleanly from the Kunai twice without having to resort to diving into the mists suggests that we do have the speed advantage over it. And shrouds do nothing against physical entities or protect against aether blasts that originate within them, after all.

So! Poke holes in it, suggest edits, or just say it's a crazy idea that would never work.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 08, 2017, 03:53:14 am »

If we want to do that, it may be better to just give our skiff crews a gauntlet or two. Much higher firerate.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 08, 2017, 04:02:08 am »

If we want to do that, it may be better to just give our skiff crews a gauntlet or two. Much higher firerate.

I don't think a gauntlet is strong enough to do much of any significant damage to even a skiff... Set fires and punch small holes in the hull, yes. But that's still a few magnitudes of difference between what a single cannon blast can do (Look at the PLACE, which is weaker than a LAC but still obliterated giant spiders in one shot, and compare it to the gauntlet which needed focused and sustained fire from an entire squad to do the same...)

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 08, 2017, 04:14:12 am »

One problem is that charging straight at a Kunai is a great way to get it to turn to face you and blow you out of the sky. Better to drop from above (or rise from below).
Actually, if we have a faster climbing/diving rate than the Kunai, that might be one way to beat it.

Draignean, do our ship crews have harnesses like in the book already? If not, we should create them- or upgrade them if they're mediocre. Then we could have our ships engage  from above/below, tipping the ship (requiring harnesses to prevent the crew from falling off) to get them in our firing arc. 

We need SUCKERPUNCH to work this time. Because if it's one Windrider vs 2 Kunais, we'd better be able to actually put the hurt on them.
Well, actually, it'll be one Windrider, four Itshana skiffs vs two Kunais and 2 vannila skiffs. And a transport. It'd be amazing to sink that transport before it can disgorge its troops- but that's almost certainly not going to happen.
Can we order our troops to fall back? Fall back so much that part of the spire becomes unclaimed? And let spiders whittle down Kasgyr's numbers for us?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 08, 2017, 04:28:26 am »

I don't think a gauntlet is strong enough to do much of any significant damage to even a skiff... Set fires and punch small holes in the hull, yes. But that's still a few magnitudes of difference between what a single cannon blast can do (Look at the PLACE, which is weaker than a LAC but still obliterated giant spiders in one shot, and compare it to the gauntlet which needed focused and sustained fire from an entire squad to do the same...)

I dont want to shoot the ship. I want to shoot the crew. These are not Ironclads, the crew us somewhat exposed.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 08, 2017, 04:29:34 am »

An excellent point NUKE, I'll edit it depending on Draignean's answer... Probably.. (I will edit it, not entirely sure if how it will be edited will change depending on the answer...)

Really, the aim I was going for was to try to maim at least one badly enough to force them to pull back and repair, giving us a window to drop off marine reinforcements of our own (And the Windrider isn't winning any 1v2s without useful backup, unfortunately.)

Also, don't forget, we have access to 6 skiffs, the two at their Northern Demi-Spire can move to TC as well to help out.
(Draignean, how many transports did our interdiction force spot? The report wasn't clear on that, using both singular and plural wording and what not.)

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:34 am »

(Draignean, how many transports did our interdiction force spot? The report wasn't clear on that, using both singular and plural wording and what not.)

Just one, I made a mistake in the original and thought it was two. I thought I had it corrected, but let me give it another pass...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 08, 2017, 03:24:41 pm »

Well, anyway. Let's figure our votes out, yeah? Get this disaster train rolling.

Quote from: Votes
No Design: 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 08, 2017, 03:32:48 pm »

Too many things we need now to put out the metaphorical fires to start a design.
No Design: 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 09, 2017, 05:10:09 am »

No Design: 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla
2 dice to windrider: (1) Tack

Am I the only one thinking the PLACE will be effectively useless once they put in a review to counter it?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 09, 2017, 05:37:19 am »

He are they going to counter it? With a PLACE of their own? With a portable shroud?

In the first case we are a little better than even, unless they have enough imagination to use a trim crystal for transport.

In the second case, shrouds don't block heat.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 09, 2017, 05:44:48 am »

Tack, putting two dice into the Windrider will cost us Ore we can't afford. Unless you've given up on the idea of Select cannons.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 187