Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159660 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #1230 on: August 09, 2017, 01:03:35 pm »

Yeah, it seems to spin very quickly, so I'm thinking their trims are upgraded.
We might still be able to outrun or out-climb them, which is hopefully something.

I'd suggest spending four on revisions.
That's two tactics and two mechanicals, with a free dice next turn for the next fire we need to put out.
Or we can drop an extra on Itshana skiffs, or hunter Itshana skiffs as a pattern
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:05:41 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 09, 2017, 01:05:25 pm »

Spider queen piņata is the best thing I've seen all week thank you.

Draignean, will these be compatible with the idiot ball?

Both will be simplistic without better coordination methods (improved chain of command on the ground, methods of intership communication on the other), but both can work at a reasonable level.

I also enjoyed the idea of spider pinata. It seemed like a fine thing to go with winning the event.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 09, 2017, 01:08:24 pm »

We can out maneuver them enough to hit them from below. On Discord the GM told us that harnesses are too poor to allow straight up/down firing by their ship.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 09, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »

That'll require a good harness revision and a good tactical revision.
It's risky, but hell, the whole thing is.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:17 pm »

Err, what? Why would we need a better harness? The tactic is to do a climb or dive to get directly above or below them, then drop the shroud and pull into their broadside.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 09, 2017, 01:17:47 pm »

The problem with that is that the enemy ship is noted as being enormously maneuverable.

So, what'll happen is that they pull alongside, fire two shots that bounce of armor, then take an 8 shot barrage to the face.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 09, 2017, 01:18:46 pm »

What armor? The enemy ship has no armor.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 09, 2017, 01:21:18 pm »

Are you certain? Seems unlikely that they'd make such an expensive ship without armor.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 09, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »

It does have silk armour, or something, probably.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 09, 2017, 01:25:48 pm »

Do we have any reports of seeing armor? No. We do know they buffed their shroud though, so I'm betting they think armor is not needed.

AMDG gives our skiffs a fighting chance against their big stuff, and we need to do something so they can help the windrider...

@Tack: Where do you get that?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 09, 2017, 01:29:08 pm »

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. We have no reports of armor, but we also have no reports of no armor. Honestly, any ship that came close enough to check probably got blown to tiny pieces.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: August 09, 2017, 01:34:45 pm »

The problem with that is that the enemy ship is noted as being enormously maneuverable.

So, what'll happen is that they pull alongside, fire two shots that bounce of armor, then take an 8 shot barrage to the face.

If we're close enough to get inside its shroud, how will it rotate and not collide with our skiff? Yes, due to size it would get away better from a collision, but collisions are no joke. After all, even mere destroyers have ripped holes straight through a battleship, IRL. (Yes, that has happened)

(Tack, I think it's midsection is wrapped in webbing, so I suppose that could count as armor... That's their power generation though, so it's actually important and useful to shoot at.)

And copper armor would be kinda obvious, too.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 09, 2017, 01:40:11 pm »

Well, then it can just move away from our skiff, putting the shroud between us and it.

Anyway,a tactic that relies on us outmaneuvering when we can't is not a good tactic.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 09, 2017, 01:40:38 pm »

Webbing is incredibly vulnerable to aether cannons... Get the webbing, and we kill their shroud, their ability to maneuver, and their ability to shoot. No webbing, and they are dead.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 09, 2017, 01:41:46 pm »

Even so, we just got GM confirmation that the enemy doesn't run shrouds when they don't expect an attack. An ambush strategy can thus easily kill them.

Just for varieties sake.

Double Ambush

This plan divides the fleet in two halves. They move at extreme altitude towards the enemy. Then, the first half of the fleet dives down upon the enemy, attacking their un-shrouded heavy ships and vulnerable transports, before continuing to dive away from the enemy using their already extant momentum.

If the enemy gives chase, the second half of the fleet now pounces upon the unprotected transports, killing them quickly before retreating before the enemy comes back.

Itshana Select Cannons

Attempts to integrate Ishtani Select crystals in cannons, taking advantage of previous knowledge (including test engineers rich experience in impromptu shelters) and the advanced circuitry we have produced.

Ablatives

Resin spread along the inside of the barrel makes an effective, if smelly ablative shield. This resin can be used to allow the cannon to fire near uninterrupted for the first 10 seconds of the fight. After combat, it can be cleaned out and a new layer applied.

Semi-Itshana Select crystals

In an attempt to lower costs, semi - Itshana select crystals have been created. The process starts with a normal Itshana select crystal, that is then used as the base for a larger crystal. It's hoped that this will provide a cheaper alternative for Itshana select crystals.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:08:51 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 187