Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150263 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2017, 06:25:03 pm »

Quote from: Revision Phase
Revise the Crossbow To Be Function Over Form: 2 Dice: (1) SMMI

If we overshoot on the first die, we autobank the second so we might as well use both here to get the job done.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »

Quote from: Revision Phase
Revise the Crossbow To Be Function Over Form: 2 Dice: (1) SMMI

If we overshoot on the first die, we autobank the second so we might as well use both here to get the job done.

Not how revisions work. Revisions don't advance the project, and thus you don't get the nice auto-bank if your first dice completes the project. Two dice on a revision lets you roll two dice and take the best of the two.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2017, 07:04:21 pm »

+1 1 dice for crossbow revision.
+1 Bank the other dice.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2017, 07:23:38 pm »

+1 1 dice for crossbow revision.
+1 Bank the other dice.
+1
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2017, 07:48:10 pm »

I'd like to lock in the crossbow revision, but I'd like to know which one you're going for.

Are you just looking to strip off the form and get down to function?
Or are you looking to create a second model with repeating characteristics?

I'm guessing the former, but I'd enjoy clarification.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2017, 07:53:38 pm »

Just form function I think.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:00:06 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2017, 08:11:16 pm »

No to repeating characteristics for now.  We should save up a full design for that sometime in the distant future.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2017, 08:12:02 pm »

I had no idea Draig was running an arms race game. I also read the main thread and still have no idea how things work, and haven't read this thread yet.

Another incompetent engineer who's here due to nepotism reporting to gloriousest Kasgyre, is essentially what I'm saying here. What's a crossbow?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2017, 08:14:58 pm »

"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2017, 08:39:03 pm »

Stripped Witch Hunter Crossbow
[2]

Turns out, a lot of that brass was integrated into the design, to a rather silly extent. As much as possible has been removed, but it's actually been somewhat difficult to get the design team to compromise their glorious creation in favor of something that can effectively kill the enemy. The eagle head has been scrapped, the arms reduced to a bare minimum, and the scroll-work and lacquer on the stock almost entirely removed- with the exception of a still irritatingly ornate plate where the Division the weapon belongs can be stamped.

The original model is being hung over the door to engineer's workshop as a show of defiance.

New Projected Cost: 2 wood 2 ore to give one to every fireteam, 8 wood 8 ore to give one to every man in a squad.

It is the beginning of 352 AR. All is well, and there is nothing exceptional to report.

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,

11/y Crystal, 33/55 Banked
10/y Ore, 30/50 banked
11/y Wood, 32/55 banked
9/y Silk, 27/45 banked

It is the beginning of the Design Phase and Project Maintenance Phase. You have 6 Dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

---

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2017, 08:46:37 pm »

We are taking that ornate prototype crossbow off the door and putting it in the hands of some lucky random grunt where it will be used to kill Wreth bastards!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2017, 08:58:37 pm »

What's a crossbow?

It's a diplomatic maneuver where two officials square off at a 45 degree angle. The crossbow allows two people to bow to one another at an angle, without showing direct deference to the other, but retaining propriety.
---

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:12 pm »

Hrmmm... Burn that damn engineers workshop.

Proposed budget: 3 dice new design, 1 each to progress projects, and 1 to revise the damn crossbow again.

Last prep turn is entirely to complete projects.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2017, 11:33:46 pm »

What's a crossbow?

It's a diplomatic maneuver where two officials square off at a 45 degree angle. The crossbow allows two people to bow to one another at an angle, without showing direct deference to the other, but retaining propriety.
That makes sense and fits with my skillset! I feel confident Wreth will cave to diplomatic pressure any day now.

So having now read through the thread, I'm a little concerned with our lack of overall strategy. I'm worried that if we don't figure out what we're going to do and how, we'll end up with this asinine scattering of conflicted half-advances that don't really help us win in any coherent fashion.

So... what's our overall plan, until we discover Wreth's and have to compensate? My vote would be for a ground focus, because air combat is ultimately just an enabler for it, but I do love our current ship progress; more powerful crystals + alpha strike cannons could produce some squirrely, skirmishy ships that might be able to reliably whittle away enemy vessels.

Beyond that, though... I suspect it will be difficult to brace a spire against the full weight of a fleet unless you correctly guess which spire they're attacking, so I'm fine with losing the air war in favor of just hitting places they're not and being difficult to dislodge.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »

With that, let me propose a design.

Imagine an aetheric gauntlet, except there are three of them, and it's not a gauntlet, it's just the palm. The three palms are mounted on the end of brass/copper pipes filled with water. A wooden core is running through the center of the pipes, with two handles wrapped in leather strips sticking upwards. The handles are ergonomic, with the leather wrapped to create a palm swell. Below is the water tank, about the size of a small dog. The tank is kept pressurized, and the device had two triggers. One trigger fires the gun, and the other orbs a valve to send new water into the pipes. The steam is vented at a 120 degree angle ( zero degrees being straight up, so down and away)  to keep visibility clear when firing. The entire device is attached to a harness of leather straps and held away from the body, similar to a mini gun irl.
This is the
Aetheric trigun : Design

It will be capable of throwing out an impressive amount of fire power, overwhelming any troops without silk armoring, and easily winning an exchange with a gauntlet wielding officer. It should only be necessary at a rate of one per fire team, and should force the enemy to either lose ranged engagements, or outfit every solider with a silk vest (a huge drain on enemy resources) for a moderate reduction in casualties. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 178