Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150548 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #480 on: July 29, 2017, 05:58:03 am »

Quote from: unfinished invasion
Production: Wreth fucked up NOW

Skyskiff raiding group at left enemy demi spire move to right enemy demi spire scouting the middle demi spire as they pass and use ambush tactics on any enemy ships at the right demi spire.

Single Skyskiff from home spire moves to left local demi spire and uses ambush tactics on any enemy ships that approach. (just in case of enemy funny business)

Load transports with an extra unit of marines each equipped with Grappling gear, Bronze Cutlass,  Bronze armour (Officer) &  Aethersilk Vests (Squad Leaders & Officer).

3 Skyskiff, transport Hermes and Prototype Viper (we need a name for this Viper any suggestions?) move to unfinished and use ambush tactics to destroy enemy ships and land troops.

Transport Mercury moves to right local demi spire and prepares to advance to enemy right demi spire next turn.(It is not moved to the belt spire so we don't tip our hand about our coming advance into their territory)
Or if people prefer:
Quote from: Three captains invasion
Production: Wreth fucked up NOW

Skyskiff raiding group at left enemy demi spire move to three captains, participates in ambush tactics and regroups with main fleet.

Single Skyskiff from home spire moves to right local demi spire and uses ambush tactics on any enemy ships that approach. (just in case of enemy funny business)

Load transports with an extra unit of marines each equipped with Grappling gear, Bronze Cutlass,  Bronze armour (Officer) &  Aethersilk Vests (Squad Leaders & Officer).

3 Skyskiff, transport Hermes, transport Mercury and Prototype Viper (we need a name for this Viper any suggestions?) move to three captains and use ambush tactics to destroy enemy ships and land troops.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 29, 2017, 06:00:02 am »

True, but I'd like ore sooner rather than later.

Well, we have two coming sooner than later; and landing on a belt spire is no guarantee we can take it given the inhabitants of them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 29, 2017, 06:02:55 am »

We *still* don't have enough Ore for that plan guys.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 29, 2017, 06:29:51 am »

Crap you're right I forgot to account for the ore used in project maintenance. We had enough before the design phase but now Taricus's plan uses too much ore.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 29, 2017, 06:31:45 am »

Dropping the armour from both the viper and the new marine units gives us enough ore to put it into action, so it's a simple fix.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 29, 2017, 06:47:41 am »

Quote from: Production Plan "Affordable Anti-Wreth Action"
Refit Prototype Viper Corvette RKNV Serpentis with prototype medium core crystal, small lift crystal (3 crystal, 2 ore), 6 reams of webbing (12 silk) six sets of trim webs (6 crystal, 6 ore & 18 wood),  ten kettleguns (10 ore, 10 crystal)

Subtotal: 19 Crystal, 18 Ore, 18 Wood & 12 Silk

Marine Equipment: 2x Grappling gear, 2x Bronze Cutlass& 2x Aethersilk Vests (Squad Leaders & Officer). [6 ore, 10 silk total]

Total cost: 19 Crystal, 32 Ore, 18 Wood & 22 Silk
Quote from: Three Captain's Invasion
Skyskiff raiding group at left enemy demi spire move to three captains, participates in ambush tactics and regroups with main fleet.

Single Skyskiff from home spire moves to right local demi spire and uses ambush tactics on any enemy ships that approach. (just in case of enemy funny business)

3 Skyskiff, transport Hermes, transport Mercury and Prototype Viper (we need a name for this Viper any suggestions?) move to three captains and use ambush tactics to destroy enemy ships and land troops.
Quote from: Unfinished Invasion
Skyskiff raiding group at left enemy demi spire move to right enemy demi spire scouting the middle demi spire as they pass and use ambush tactics on any enemy ships at the right demi spire.

Single Skyskiff from home spire moves to left local demi spire and uses ambush tactics on any enemy ships that approach. (just in case of enemy funny business)

3 Skyskiff, transport Hermes and Prototype Viper (we need a name for this Viper any suggestions?) move to unfinished and use ambush tactics to destroy enemy ships and land troops.

Transport Mercury moves to right local demi spire and prepares to advance to enemy right demi spire next turn.(It is not moved to the belt spire so we don't tip our hand about our coming advance into their territory)

Quote from: Votes
Production
[1] AAA : Kashyyk

Deployment
[1] Three Captain's Invasion : Kashyyk
[] Unfinished Invasion :

I believe those are our options then, unless people come up with something else.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 29, 2017, 07:19:25 am »

Production
[2] AAA : Kashyyk, Taricus

Deployment
[1] Unfinished Invasion : Taricus

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 29, 2017, 07:35:05 am »

I would like to point out just in case anyone missed it but there are several important differences between the two invasion plans I'm proposing.

The most obvious one is the regrouping of the raiding skiffs with the main fleet in the three captains invasion as opposed to them continuing their raiding and scouting in the unfinished invasion.

The thing however that I'm worried people might have missed is that in the three captains invasion we send both transports to unload all their troops (if it is heavily infested by something we will likely need the troops) but for the unfinished, we hold one back. I suggested this because every time I have seen a Wrethian talk about the unfinished they have talked about how empty it is and asked why we haven't landed yet. We know by word of GM there is resistance in all the belt spires so this smells to me like a trap of some sort. Given that the three captains is marked as heavily infested and the crystal bounty that the unfinished can offer it is the obvious place for us to attack. I worry about any nasty surprises the Wrethians have ready for us. Maybe they have a small strike force waiting to sweep in and take out our transports the moment we try to land them (it's what I would do). Maybe they have nothing and the spire against the words of the gm is empty and easy to take. Then in that case holding back a transport is still a good idea because then we can push on next turn and land in their demi spires.

Production
[3] AAA : Kashyyk, Taricus, Jerick

Deployment
Between the two deployment plans I am undecided they both have pros and cons.
I like the idea of getting our raiding ships back and possibly wiping out a weakened marine force (and possibly salvaging what they have so we can see what tech they got)
I don't like leaving the enemy to capture the unfinished (they landed first turn next turn if nothings happened to them they'll capture it)

On the other hand I like the idea of scouting the demi spires and denying the enemy the excellent boon of crystal the unfinished can provide.
But I don't like risking our raiding force more than we need to and I worry about what they have planned for us at the unfinished.

I have no idea which of the two deployments to vote for.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 29, 2017, 08:14:00 am »

The Wrethi are likely planning to ambush us navally at the unfinished spire, which is consistent with what happened to the raiding group there. I, for one, think it would be an excellent proving ground for the viper's capabilities. Landing on their demi-spares is a really risky plan though; I'd suggest we establish ourselves on the captains AND the unfinished before trying to attempt ground invasions there.

To that end, I'd suggest the raiding fleet we still have sweeps to the other side of the Wrethi demi spires. This means that whatever they're planning at the unfinished, we can cut them off and annihilate them.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:26 am »

It's not guaranteed that they've made progress every turn at the belt spires. They've only been able to deploy one boat load of troops to each, as far as we are aware, and the GM promised that we would suffer casualties in attempting to take them. Unless they picked their loadouts perfectly, they will likely have suffered casualties each turn, possibly to the extent that they didn't gain ground each turn.

That's speculation of course, but it means we aren't necessarily letting them take whichever belt spire we don't invade.

That, combined with them wanting to make us land on the Unfinished just makes me think they are having a harder time with the Unfinished natives than they are with the Three Captains, so need to hit the Three Captains because I *think* they've made more progress there and are trying to bait us into getting murdered by Unfinished natives like they were.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 29, 2017, 08:31:05 am »

But, if they went into the unfinished with only one boatload of marines with basic equipment, odds are we'll have better success with two. Again, the real reason they're baiting us to the unfinished is more in the sky than in the ground.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 29, 2017, 08:55:29 am »

Unless they deployed a new ship to the unfinished last turn,  all they have there is the skyskiffs,  minus any ours killed before going AWOL. They'll likely be mobilising to take out our raiders,  so I'm not inclined to believe that they have a naval trap at all.

If they do however, why would we want to willingly spring that trap instead of going somewhere we believe has less of an enemy presence? Sure we have the Viper,  but it would be better to just go around whatever they've planned rather than meet it head on.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 29, 2017, 09:04:50 am »

Landing on their demi-spares is a really risky plan though;
True, but there are several things to note; They are fighting and losing marine on the three captains and probably the unfinished as well. The marines landed on their demi spires can't have much equipment (and one demi spire probably doesn't have marines at all). They just lost a transport. And their resources for the next few turns are likely going to be spent trying to counter the Viper. If we land on one of their demi spires we may be able to overstretch them while denying them access to one of their demi spires resources on the turn we get access to ours.

Again, the real reason they're baiting us to the unfinished is more in the sky than in the ground.
This is far from certain but as you said the loss of our skyskiffs could indicate a hidden surprise in the region. Still when speaking of what the enemy is doing all we can talk of is likelihoods. Even though I feel that you might be right I am far from certain. I have no idea how likely or unlikely it is that they have some kind of navel trap or what said naval trap would even entail. We might have triggered it and they've already moved on who knows? It's currently impossible for us to know.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 29, 2017, 09:12:01 am »

There's unlikely to be a hidden surprise as much as it was just a simple crushing of our fleet. The other thing is that we don;t just have to fight the Wrethi marines off of those demi-spires, we also have to fight the people on there as well. At least in the belt we can count on the inhabitant giving both sides grief. Moreover, I find it highly unlikely that we'll be able to land on one of their demi spires. Last turn had one with a large concentration of forces and this turn they'll be converging on the other.

IF the skiffs were lost in the belt I could ascribe that to a surprise. As this was Wrethi territory though, I'm ruling out everything apart from Wreth's fleet taking that fleet out.l

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2017, 09:36:47 am »

Good points
However;
Quote from: from discord general
NUKE9.13 - Today at 3:18 PM
So, hey. Any chance we're gonna see you lot in the belt any time soon? We get lonely, you see.
somemildmanneredidiot - Today at 3:21 PM
That's so sad! Well trust me, your ships there will know the embrace of their beloved ones soon.
NUKE9.13 - Today at 3:22 PM
I'm more concerned about our Marines.(edited)
somemildmanneredidiot - Today at 3:22 PM
We all see our loved ones in the afterlife of course.
Tack - Today at 3:22 PM
They're bored.
NUKE9.13 - Today at 3:23 PM
Like, I suppose  capturing two spires entirely unopposed is a good thing strategically. But it is boring.
They seem to really want us to land marines to the belt. I'm becoming steadily more convinced there is some nasty natives in the unfinished and that the three captains will be difficult to take. For that reason I have made up my mind on which strategy to go with;

Production
[3] AAA : Kashyyk, Taricus, Jerick

Deployment
[2] Three Captain's Invasion : Kashyyk, Jerick
I'm expecting heavy marine losses from this invasion even if our friends are badly battered. But hopefully we'll land enough troops to power through the losses and take the spire.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 178