Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150582 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #510 on: July 29, 2017, 06:42:03 pm »

If we just going to spend an extra dice on progress, than wouldn't it be a better idea to just spend the die on a extra project die? I doubt we're going to complete the Production Line this turn, so waiting and just spending an extra die for a project on a later turn is a more well-rounded idea to me.

Edit: I also think the Wrethians haven't made much progress, they would have to deal with swarms of monsters as well as those strong monsters at the Three Captains, they would have to diversify their infantry weapons to deal with both threats (seems like the current aetheric gauntlets can deal wit h the swarm however.), they were probably defending/blockading the Three Captain so long because it takes a lot of investment to conquer a Belt Spire
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:46:52 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 29, 2017, 06:46:04 pm »

Actually helmacon, that's a good point we just started a large infantry engagement so having decent infantry tactics would be good. Let's hold dice for infantry tactics and pattern revision then.
Quote from: votebox
[] Viper Production Line design (4 dice):
[3] Viper Production Line Design (3 Dice): Shadowclaw, helmacon, Jerick
[] Bank 1 dice (for pattern revision):
[3] Bank 2 dice: Shadowclaw, , helmacon, Jerick

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 29, 2017, 08:25:47 pm »

So, in the meantime, we have a very important issue to discuss.

We need to finally hammer our our fluff so that the damned Wrethians stop calling us feudal lords in the core thread.

The last thing i think was suggested was prussian constitutionalism. (for research, I found that "dreiklassenwahlrecht" or " the prussian three class franchise were better to search. Prussian constitutionalism mainly brings up results for a paradox game.)

I think I could get behind something like that. A three class system with a particularly brutal approach to dissent to keep things stable. (The three class system wasn't so popular it seems.)

Of course, we have to look at how geography would effect society in this scenario. Inside a spire with limited space and highly directional movement it would be much easier to isolate rebellious elements and keep ideology from spreading. So long as the military has no moral qualms about starving a settlement into submission, it would be a fairly simple thing to do. Highly consolidated food production (vats) on the other hand would mean that it would be impossible to starve out the wrong settlement. 

I suspect we would need a lot of regulation with mild autonomy to keep their oppression from being known to the general public. A ministry of Proper production, to ensure the cities making food aren't also making weapons. (If you cant starve them out, you have to fight them after all...) A Ministry of Rebellious Restriction. (Basically the people that deal with any rebels. Highly autonomous to keep stuff secret.) A ministry of military management. (The go between for the top brass and our actual government) and probably many more provided they have the proper alliteration.

I'm sure I've probably already contradicted myself at least 3 times in here, but i'm just throwing some ideas out there to get the conversation started again.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 29, 2017, 08:59:40 pm »

Mostly because I did get it from a paradox game. Going all out with oppresive ministries just makes us a Wreth copy though; so we kinda do have to be a bit more liberal than Wreth's bureaucratic hell.

It's... well, complex like any government, but simply the monarch chooses the head of government (Who then fills out their cabinet) and the people elect representatives to fill out the seats in parliament. New laws need a majority to get through, though the head of government or state is able to veto any new laws. This ensures there's a degree of co-operation regarding laws; the laws cannot pass without the representatives of the people or the monarchy agreeing so any new laws have to be palatable to both.

Furthermore while there are somewhat delineated class lines, they are crossable and most restrictions on classes are more cultural/social than legal; the upper class has both merchants and nobles, but the nobility has more social privileges associated with the title.

With the democracy being... well, semi-functional, the people have a vent for anti-government frustrations, meaning we only need a regular police force plus some secret police to keep any dangerous agitators from doing much. With the system being stable for the moment, there hasn't been much control necessary to keep the peace.

Militarily, while the monarch is the nominal head of the military, the aloofness of the royal family means the military does have a great deal of autonomy in regards to wartime conduct. While it theoretically co-ordinates with parliament, it generally foments heated negotiations regarding the budget and other such issues.

Economically, Kasgyr operates on a fairly liberal system of economics; while the defence industry is effectively owned and run by the state just about every other aspect of the economy is run 'hands off' by the state barring some legislation regarding safety requirements and worker's rights. Multiple companies compete against each other (with anti-monopoly laws and the occasional arrest to keep it that way)

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »

Ok. That's not 100% what the prussian class system was, based on what I read, but admittedly wikipedia is a dubious source. Regardless, I actually like it better.

I was kinda hoping for just a bit more brutality though. Perhaps the military has recently had its autonomy expanded to account for war time efforts, and has the ability to seize individual citizens for sedition and the like. (A not so secret police)

Also, I like an idea of corporate interests being regulated in regards to workers, but not each other. So corporate espionage and straight up corporate warfare is fair game, so long as they don't shoot the workers. Each corporation maintains a small company force of it's own, for purely external affairs.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 29, 2017, 10:08:02 pm »

Well, I'm guessing there's also laws against those corporate forces being used offensively. So for espionage they have to go 'under the table'. Like 'contractors' ;)

No sense in needing brutality against our people though, not while GLORIOUS PATRIOTISM is in effect. IF we lose the war and we don't get conquered by Wreth though, then that's going to be a different story. For the most part though, brutality is what we're saving for the Wrethi.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 29, 2017, 10:12:48 pm »

Yes. That brutality is now focused outwards. Hence the patriotism. heh. :)

If we are in agreement, shall we put it to a vote for the rest of the thread?

Quote from: Fluff Vote
Government Plan Taricus: (2) helmacon, Taricus

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 29, 2017, 10:14:27 pm »

Well, less focus outward so much as that basically where's it's always been. A revolution or something might change that though.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 29, 2017, 10:59:54 pm »

The upper class is composed of nobles and merchants and artists. Often all three at once.
Can't forget the artists.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »

Well, I'm guessing there's also laws against those corporate forces being used offensively. So for espionage they have to go 'under the table'. Like 'contractors' ;)
So basically it's Shadowrun with less cyberpunk? Sounds fun to me.

Quote from: Voatbox
[4] Viper Production Line Design (3 Dice): Shadowclaw, helmacon, Jerick, Happerry
[4] Bank 2 dice: Shadowclaw, , helmacon, Jerick, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 29, 2017, 11:32:12 pm »

The artists are socially upper class but economically unless you're pretty damn successful. So it can get a bit cut-throat between artists as well :P

But for the most part, they don't get a noble title unless their work impresses the monarch a lot, Which rarely happens (But does enshrine the lucky bastards who did manage it into Kasgyr's history as icons of it's culture).

EDIT:
So basically it's Shadowrun with less cyberpunk? Sounds fun to me.
Yep, though the corp responses are a little more muted compared to shadowrun. Less allowances for collateral and smaller corp forces in general.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:34:05 pm by Taricus »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 30, 2017, 01:46:58 am »

This production line. Is it a refit of our current for Vipers,  or a completely new one?

I imagine a new one will be exceedingly expensive, so I personally would want to spend extra dice on both the cost and time to make it as efficient as possible.

a bit cutthroat between artists
Literally, if you're employed by a merchant company :p

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 30, 2017, 09:29:24 am »

It's a completely new one. From the core op
For every production line EXCEPT the one granted by the marine academy (which produces marines) switching what ship is on a production line is just a declared action at any point during a team's turn.
Switching the one we have is just a declared action. However, we need a pattern to switch it to and that takes a revision to make.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 30, 2017, 10:35:21 am »

If that's the case, then I'd like to roll an extra die for cost and time, so that we can deploy it as quickly as possible.

[1] Viper Production Line design (3 dice, +1 Cost,  +1 Time): Kashyyk
[3] Viper Production Line Design (3 Dice): Shadowclaw, helmacon, Jerick
[3] Bank 2 dice: Shadowclaw, , helmacon, Jerick

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 31, 2017, 08:45:08 am »

[1] Viper Production Line design (3 dice, +1 Cost,  +1 Time): Kashyyk
[4] Viper Production Line Design (3 Dice): Shadowclaw, helmacon, Jerick, SMMI
[4] Bank 2 dice: Shadowclaw, , helmacon, Jerick, SMMI

My thinking is that we can dave 1 or 2 dice this turn to spend it all on another Viper Production Line next turn, with this one being used to get a sense of the time and respurce requirement
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 178