Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress  (Read 35655 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ineth Zafal, a Humankin fortress
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2017, 10:14:36 am »

Do we have plenty of building materials yet? 

We need this to support construction demands for our city! 

But I suppose, logs will do.  Wood palisades and log cabins for District 2 (D2).

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »

Hey guys! Work is kicking me in the butt and I already am in the middle of a turn on my Dwarvemon; is it okay if I delayed my turn until after JS or Japa/Neblime's repeats? Thanks!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2017, 07:42:01 pm »

Sure I'll put you down as skipped voluntarily. You can claim a turn whenever you're ready. Sanctume, you're up then.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2017, 02:13:33 am »

Oh yes, i want in on this. I will take B3 unless Doubloon would like to reserve it, in which case I'll accept B2 instead. I shall Make Air City Great Again, or something.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 03:18:50 am »

I got the save tonight,

Edit.  Holy crap, so I downloaded the save last night, and more or less started wanted to expand my horizon using different graphics set.  I tried Dungeon Set, then Obsidian, then back to Phoebus 16x.  I was not happy with the small tiles, so I found a copy of Phoebus 24x24 and put that in, so better for my eyes. 

I think I know what to do with the aquifer, maybe.  Then I spent time marking what I want to do with District 2.  So I suppose I'll start using wood to build my town houses for now. 

And split project doing the aquifer breach at the same time.   Going slow as I seem to take a lot of screen shot almost explaining how I will breach.  Anyway, I looked up at the time and it was 1am with me needing to wake up at 5am for work. 

I'll continue tonight, and hopefully have something to post.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:57:46 am by Sanctume »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2017, 09:08:59 am »

You sure? Neblime's got stone, but quarrying in Japa's square would admittedly be more convenient.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2017, 10:37:14 am »

I just want to do something while clear cutting D2.   
The aquifer is 2 layers, so I get to show off a mini pump stack method with pictures.
Although, I am not sure now if digging through the last layer is acceptable in terms of Humankin rules. 
Hmm, I'll ponder on it until I commit tonight.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2017, 11:20:24 am »

The only rule about digging is that you can only channel down, pretty much.

There should never be any squares that show as underground and dark afterwards.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2017, 11:35:28 am »

The only rule about digging is that you can only channel down, pretty much.

There should never be any squares that show as underground and dark afterwards.

Hmm, question.  If z+0 is lighted, does carving downstairs on z+0, and up/down stairs on z-1 make z-1 an underground tile?

Anyway, I was planning on using portable drain within the 4x3 stairs used for aquifer breach.

Regarding the question, at least 1 tile for up/down stairs is needed to go at least z-2 below the last aquifer layer.  It will have a hatch cover to allow the chicken-run style dig down.  But yeah, it will need at least 2 tunnels (a channel and a tile for track stop). 

If that's not allowed, I'll can just continue to pump stack and pump water out of the z-1 of the the last aquifer layer.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2017, 09:09:19 pm »

Use your best judgment.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:37 pm »

Ch 1: To Be Humankin

“The City of Air” is a misnomer, because it is just a budding hamlet striking a claim on earth’s surface.  There are 7 founders in the beginning to brave the sun.  Three human-kins joins later, and then five more  soon after.  The population of 15 is blessed in peace to gift the community with 3 babies born.

Granite, 252

The year starts with Zas, the expedition leader declaring that District 2 is to be improved this year.  The wood cutters began clear cutting the future township community. 

--

Etur, a dwarf at heart and a competent mechanic is fascinated with the many screw pumps left abandoned on the failed quarry because of the uncovered aquifer.  She is motivated with an idea to build screw pumps on top of each other to clear the flooding, and shine light into the heart of earth.  A handful of her followers help implement her dwarvish-plans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While the dwarvish scheme is progress, Zas is buried in administrative duties of counting logs and ordering furnitures.  There is rumor that beds and furnitures made of chestnut logs will be used.  The townhouses will be using ginkgo wood logs, and the floors birchen logs.  There is also a proposed tavern and inn, and perhaps more amenities.

--

By month's end, Etur and her followers are rejoicing.  But this celebration was soon ended by Zas claiming that the aquifer breaching project violates the bylaws of The City of Air, specifically those of existing "dark" stairwells.  “The sun light must touch the earth for it to be acceptable in our new ways.”

Etur meekly complied and abandoned her plans.  At least, that was the impression of Zas.  Since the aquifer walls are already sealed with log walls, Etur slowly dismantled the screw pumps, gears and axles in order to expose the pit to sunlight.  She asked Miner Mistem to channel the carved stairs.  Then she slowly constructed wooden stairs to continue deeper.  Eventually, Etur’s schemes are forgotten despite striking a vein of tetrahedrite.  Mistem is sympathetic to her plight and comments, "a 4x3 pit is not sustainable long term.  At least you accomplished a great engineering feat!"

The elf caravan from Imana Nisa arrived, so the citizens went out of their way to cut some more chestnut, birch and ginkgo trees that for the elves to witness.  The merchants set their wares in the depot, but everyone's attention was on District 2's wooden building constructions.  They left soon after, unattended.

Slate, 252

Excitement, or perhaps horror overcame Zas when 25 migrants arrive to settle in District 2.  Either there is major miscommunication, or someone back in the mountain home reached legendary status in marketing and salesmanship.

The hamlet of 18 individuals is sharing a dorm with 7 beds.   The population just spikes to 43.

On the bright side, there is now plenty of construction workers.

Felsite, 252

Miner Mistem mentioned that City Lot "C2" has an acceptable quarry off the side cliffs, and that the same can be done on the north edge of District 2; thus, commences the quarry project of District 2.

As the third month of spring nears its end, Carpenter Urvad withdraws from society.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:28:27 pm by Sanctume »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2017, 09:56:37 pm »

...Impressive.

Damn it, i can't resist this anymore. JAPA, A SLICE OF C4 PLEASE WITH ADDED PEPPERONI!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:02:02 pm by Bearskie »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2017, 10:47:42 pm »

Turn list updated, but not map.

Sanctume, Impressive. Very human.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2017, 11:03:07 pm »

Sorry Japa, changed it to C4. A3's terrible.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2017, 06:54:50 pm »

Ch 2: Can’t Dodge Earth

Hematite, 252

The rhythm of the forest buzz abruptly stopped when Urvad exclaims, “behold, The Grove of Bolting!”  The short eerie silence was soon drowned with the forest buzz resuming.  No one was around as Urvad emerged from a weeks long trance crafting a wooden chestnut floodgate.   

Still proud of his creation, Urvad follows the noise of merry-making at the grand opening of “Cruelbarbs of Ale” tavern and inn.  District 2’s citizens and long-term residents are raving about this place. 

Zas cheerily welcomes Urvad and offered drinks from the basement storage.  Sakzul, a bookbinder praises the high craftsmanship of the floodgate and introduces everyone to meet Urvad.  Urvad is well pleased at the attention and compliments but is soon tired lugging around the thing.  Sakzul suggests that it be displayed right in the tavern, and Urvad thinks it a relief and wonderful idea.  The Grove of Bolting is a chestnut wood floodgate.  It has an image of 2 beds. 

--
Zas tells Urvad the next batch of orders: 20 pieces of chestnut beds, doors, chests and cabinets; and 10 chestnut tables and chairs.  Urvad was about to ask where these chestnut logs are when they were interrupted by news of the human’s caravan from Loddur arrived. 

A week later, Zas offers Urvad a grin, “those wooden menacing spikes and spiked wooden balls--the humans wanted them so bad, we got food and iron in trade.   You should make another set of 50 each.  Use willow or feather wood this time, so it’s lighter.” 

Malachite, 252

Ten more migrants arrive, and Zas feels no pressure despite not having any room available yet.  The population increase defines this place a village.

Zas asks Miner Mistem for the status of the quarry.  Mistem reports that five layers down after yellow and black sand, diorite stones are being quarried, but the haulers are using a cliff-side ramp to haul the stones up.  Five dabbling mason are recruited and three mason shops are built on the northeast corner of District 2.  We found some gems too, so some entrepreneur decided setup a jeweler’s shop to cut them.  The Sakzul fella says those will be good for windows.

Mistem wants stairs constructed from the northeast corner and down to the quarry to bypass the cliff-side ramp.  Urvad the carpenter is busy with the back order of furnitures, so a dabbling carpenters are recruited to construct the wooden stairs. 

Zas inspects the stairs and claims it violates the “no dark” rule.  Apparently, constructing a wooden stairs on top of an up ramp still leaves behind a a layer of dirt (sand) floor, so the ramp below is “dark”.  Zas says, “it has to be deconstructed and rebuilt just how Etur complied.”  With a sigh, Mistem agrees.

Despite the delay in stone hauling, this is compensated with quantity haulers: eight stone stockpiles, 3x6 in size, each designated with 3 wheelbarrows.  Zas approved the order for 24 featherwood wheelbarrows.  And sure enough, diorite stone blocks are being mass produced.

Galena, 252

Sakzul, a bookbinder has been elected mayor of Village, The City of Air.

A 3x3 flooring made of chestnut wood, with the center for constructed wooden stairs leading down.  Miner Mistem is amazed at such fine carpentry for the stairs are built from the top and slowly adding an up/down stairs to reach the bottom.  The quarry below is at least 5 urists deep already!  But of course such dwarvish ingenuity has flaws leaving behind “dark” stairwells. 

Some dabbling carpenter built temporary stairs adjacent to this center, but Mistem shoos him and began deconstructing the center stairs...

Miner Mistem has a mishap and falls as the she stands on the stairs she deconstructed.  The fall landed her onto diorite cavern floor, at least 3 urists high.  Her upper body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the liver.  Her right lower slams hard and the part splits in gore.  Her neck splits in gore, tearing open an artery.

Zas found Mistem already dead and mutters, "you can't dodge earth like the ole days." 

Zas is saddened, then demands the building of a medical center in District 2.  Nobody knows any doctoring skills, so some dabbling diagnostician is recruited to be the chief medical doctor.  May Armok Bless!

ooc: Japa, is there a way for Armor Vision to show more z-levels at a time?  The screen shot I have, when I try to fit the 5z+ height of the tavern, the lower levels turn transparent, so I do not see the dirt or the dry moat.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:04:06 pm by Sanctume »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26