Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with all this metal  (Read 2126 times)

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
What to do with all this metal
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:18:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I decided to focus on a metal industry and it has been doing amazingly well. Problem is, I now have so much metal I don't know what to do with it. This is also only a fraction of what I have, as the ore outnumbers this easily. Genuinely need ideas for what to do with it, especially the copper.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with all this metal
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:36:33 pm »

The Statue of Liberty is made out of copper.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:56:36 pm »

Plate the floors and walls with copper, make lots of copper statues and make all your furniture and goblets out of copper.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 01:52:29 am »

Just put Make copper bolts on repeat and build a few archery targets. Your marksdwarves will take care of it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Merthyn

• Bay Watcher
  • Block aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 05:33:44 am »

The Statue of Liberty is made out of copper.

This guy gets it.

/shameless self plug

Metal blocks are the name of the game! All this metal is obviously Armok's way of telling you to construct stuff with it in his name.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:37:13 am by Merthyn »
Far be it from me to conform my design to practicality.

You left a hole in your defensive perimeter/cavern system/water pipes. You will not find it before fun finds it first.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 09:41:06 am »

Build in it, or train a legendary blacksmith, weaponsmith, and armourer the hard way. Make barrels and bins from it! EVERYONE loves booze served in lead barrels!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Leiker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:27:07 am »

Make Mastercrafted steel armor and weapons for all the squads you wan
Make bolts out of remaining steel and some of the copper for fighting invaders.

Make Mastercrafted statues and furniture out of all the precious metals.
Decorate the statues/furniture with copper studs, gems and bones and everything else you can think of to raise their value
Spam them everywhere, give every dwarf some copper decorated copper furniture

Make expensive items out of copper and trade them to caravans. I like to make dwarven caravans bring lots of leather, cloth and gems(for decorating items) and it can get quite expensive sometimes, so its nice to have good items to trade.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 10:46:05 am »

Metal Fortress aboveground?
One wheel short of a wagon

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 12:02:55 pm »

What is this "make a mega-projects out of the copper"?

There is zinc to make brass, and brass *everything* is nicer. It has been used for coins, furniture, statues, etc, in real life.

Rather than metal barrels, metal large pots. They weigh are four times lighter and possibly more resistant to vermin.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 12:14:16 pm »

There is much work to be done, the copper needs forging into brass and the above ground plans are set. The caravans shall marvel at our wealth as the brass towers dominate the landscape!

Did you know food is stupid expensive? I didn't. Usually a barrel of roasts gets me everything I need from the caravan

I've actually found myself reliant on marksdwarves in the past, so on this file, no marksdwarves unless absolutely necessary.

Can you engrave on constructed walls and floors of brass/copper? If so I'll do that if not my engraved obsidian bedrooms are staying.

I've decided T O W E R S.

Sadly, my bins and barrel needs have already been taken care of, though I'm slowly switching over to metal for all furniture. My poor mason is going to be out of work soon.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 05:32:33 pm »

A pity you cannot make spiked balls out of lead.  If you could, I would recommend forging a bunch of those, filling minecarts full of them, and blasting invaders with clownshot. 

Other than that, brass pipes for pumping into aqueducts, brass doors, brass goblets and barrels, etc.  Good metal for anything that is expected to accumulate organic residue. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:34:24 pm by Fearless Son »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 04:44:17 pm »

Start a band.

Nah, make your whole fort out of metal. That's more dwarven than making it out of stone.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 03:02:16 am »

The answer is, of course, to go totally !!METAL!!

Step 1) Make metal instruments
Step 2) Form several bands (Performers/Taverns) using only metal instruments (Yes, I am borrowing/building off of Naryar's idea)
Step 3) Any instruments that don't need to be built should be loaded into Minecart shotguns. Defeat your enemies with the power of MUSIC! METAL music.
Step 3a) Use constructed instrument components as ammo
Step 3b) Bonus points for artifact !!Instrument!! shotgun
Step 3c) Unleash the power of ROCK! Make your enemies ROLL when you use metal-bearing boulders as ammo for your mass driver shotguns! (Yes this analogy/metaphor/whatever is stretched)

Also
Step 4) Mod metal so it is cookable/edible

EDIT: Mass Driver would be a single stone. Minecarts can hold 5 derp.

......god dammit now I need to make this fortress. a totally !!METAL!! fort. Its only exports are food inside METAL containers, and visitors who have a strange head-bangish tic. Its only imports are ore and ALL THE metal THINGS.

A rock arena with magma pyrotechnics (Auto-firing pressured magma land mines), demons dancing behind glass, and goblins (at best) kiling and being slaughtered as THE BEST GOD DAMN ROCK SHOW ON EARTH plays out on stage.

IN HELL

.........what the hell? I think I was channeling a bit of Tenacious D Jack Black right there. Doesn't mean I don't want to build it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:12:54 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:39:42 am »

The answer is, of course, to go totally !!METAL!!

Step 1) Make metal instruments
Step 2) Form several bands (Performers/Taverns) using only metal instruments (Yes, I am borrowing/building off of Naryar's idea)
Step 3) Any instruments that don't need to be built should be loaded into Minecart shotguns. Defeat your enemies with the power of MUSIC! METAL music.
Step 3a) Use constructed instrument components as ammo
Step 3b) Bonus points for artifact !!Instrument!! shotgun
Step 3c) Unleash the power of ROCK! Make your enemies ROLL when you use metal-bearing boulders as ammo for your mass driver shotguns! (Yes this analogy/metaphor/whatever is stretched)

Also
Step 4) Mod metal so it is cookable/edible

EDIT: Mass Driver would be a single stone. Minecarts can hold 5 derp.

......god dammit now I need to make this fortress. a totally !!METAL!! fort. Its only exports are food inside METAL containers, and visitors who have a strange head-bangish tic. Its only imports are ore and ALL THE metal THINGS.

A rock arena with magma pyrotechnics (Auto-firing pressured magma land mines), demons dancing behind glass, and goblins (at best) kiling and being slaughtered as THE BEST GOD DAMN ROCK SHOW ON EARTH plays out on stage.

IN HELL

.........what the hell? I think I was channeling a bit of Tenacious D Jack Black right there. Doesn't mean I don't want to build it.

Welcome to the crypt...

of the NECRODANCER!

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 11:39:51 am »

Lead goblets, lead toys, lead bins, lead barrels.