Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: From an age undreamed of. II (SG)  (Read 23460 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From an age undreamed of. II (SG)
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2017, 02:23:33 pm »

Lets be a little wiser about this.  Do some basic research on the place first, maybe figure out if owning the sword will get us gutted for some weird local custom.
I guess not running in blindly is safer.
Find someone high up the political spectrum. Confront them. If asked why we are here, show them the pummel of our sword, and our collar. Then we can tell them that these belonged to our mother. And we have come rather far, just to at least to find proof of her name.

Being a bit wiser and you decide to do some basic research on the place first, find out who who and what the laws are before get in any trouble.

You rent a room at the Red Hunt and have a few honeyed beers while you listen to the local news and rumors.

It soon becomes clear that the kingdom has many troubles.

A low-level aristocrat by the name of Reinold, was brutally murdered a few days ago.
A noble from the Jugurthen was due to be married to princess Avelot but now she has gone missing and it looks like war might follow over in insult.
It rumoured that a bandit called snake hips might be behind it.

Further afield to the north the Sabines are restless, and grumbling over trade rights and tolls.
To the west are Askuzai tribes, come to burn the towns and steal cattle.

The inn keeper warn you in strong language to never bare a blade in a fight, doing so means that anyone can kill you without punishment.

It takes you most of the day but you finally get an audience Royal Justicar.

You enter the chambers of the Royal Justicar, there nice filled with ornately carved wood.
He’s an old man, with iron grey hair that matches the grey robes he wears.

On seeing the sword his eyes light up,
“Ysmene! That was Ysmene’s sword!
How the hell did you get it?” he asks

“It was my mothers, please i’ve been looking for some that knows anything about her for years.
Can you tell me about her?” your enthusiasm barely held in check.

He grins like a snake at you.
“You want to know don’t you?
Oh the mystery it gnaws at you doesn't it?
I’ll tell you what, you scratch my back i’ll scratch yours.”

“What do you mean by that?” your heart sinks, your clearly being used in some scheme.
“It’s really simple even farm yokel like you should get it.
I want you to find princess Avelot and in return i’ll tell you about your mother.
Now i can’t do it because when she went missing she was hunting up by the Sabine borders.
It’s too close for us to send the army, but well you could go alone.
Find her and bring her back and i’ll tell you everything i know about your mother.”

Spoiler: Peter Hudsley (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Our leading man? (click to show/hide)
Companions
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2017, 08:34:59 pm »

I don't trust him. We should consult with the wife. We will take the mission, but. . . . Ask for some cash as well. We want the information, yes, but coin helps us live longer.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2017, 02:32:56 pm »

Sorrying amout this one takeing so long, a little writers block not helpe by getting my mandibular second molar out :'(
So todays filling and scale was fun by comparsion.
I don't trust him. We should consult with the wife. We will take the mission, but. . . . Ask for some cash as well. We want the information, yes, but coin helps us live longer.
Cash  6
D6 cash 3

"I'll do it but  right now some coins would help me live longer, after all this is an important task."
"You're right some money would help you, here takes this grease some palms." the Justicar throws a heavy bag of coins at your lap.

Outside it’s dark so you head back the inn.

"...And you trust him?" Æstrid asks you.
"No but it the best lead i've got, so it doesn't matter if i trust him or not does it?."
"Not really honey, but do we have to go on this quest? he gave you her name, maybe someone remembers her?
Look while you do that i'll see about the other side to this story, the princes was due to marry right?
So there’s a groom with a missing bride, there's bound to be some reward from his side as well for her safe return.

While i do that, you can look for someone that knows about your mother.

You spend most of the next morning trying to find out more about Ysmene.
It’s not easy as most seem to be unwilling or unable to but finally you find a man that will.

He’s an old and scared man, in the tavern near to Aquilonian cavalry's stables.
Its a dingy place but the walls are covered in war trophies and banners.

“Hu.. I haven't heard that name in very long time, so what is it bring you and her name to me?
Do you want the tales of war? sarga of the seven, the days of battle.
What the battle of osric where the rivers ran red with blood..
“Uh no, i wanted to know more about her, Ysmene.“ you tell him.
“-why are you interested in more than just tales, that's a little to odd to this old man.“ he squints and looks at you closely for a moment.

“Perhapes with will make thing clearer to you.” You pass your sword to him.

“That's her sword.. How do you have this? Ysmene is dead? What rubbish is this.”
With a stern face he looks you in the eye, you see him think you the thief for a moment before he collapse’s on his stool shaking his head.

“... she must be dead.-” he down his drink pours the last of bottle straight down his neck.
“Now a toast to Ysmene! Up he lot of you.” he thumps a bottle on the table.
As he raises his glass you hear the door open and the hall fall silent.
Before you can blink there stern young woman beside him.
Her worlds come out in a banchee like stream, it’s a list put downs and disappointments going back years..

“..And You! What you think your doing prying him away from his work! and spending all our money on drink!?
Look at him! He’s wreck! Drunk when he should be out working on the boat…”
You tune out most of her tirade, she’s pretty, with soft nut brown hair and blue eyes that take out the sting of her slapping you across the face.

The fisherman stagers out with her, unsteady more from the peg leg then the drink.
As you settle up at the bar your eye cachs a warbanner with a plaque, taken at the battle of osric.

At noon you meet Æstrid at the tavern and she not a lone.

“Greeting Peter, wielder of the Cassiteride bowel ripper, who has faced the Kjallak and lived, once commander of Vraethum's army, slayer of Iewaelle the foul Sorceress, and Regainer of Tarquin's birthright, husband of Æstrid.
I am Gauda son of Hiempsal and grandson of Juba.
Now i have saddled my horses we must be on our way as soon as your ready.
I have the gold she asks for and do not wish to spend another night without her.”
His words come out all most too fast but you can understand his impatience.

Gauda is every inch a south nobleman, his tall powerful ebony frame is drenched in a regal dress of black velvet, trimmed with silver.
It’s half covers the mail shirt above and his sword belt hangs with dozens of silver pendants that glint with jewels.

A) Head to the agreed place for the exchange
B) Try to free the princes from her captors
C) Other

Companions
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:16 pm »

Gauda sticks out like a sore thumb. If he wants his beloved back, he will need to put on clothing to make him look like a mercenary. The sword he can keep though. A treasure from a hard won fight, unless he wants to buy another. And get meaner. It will help his disguise, since we are going to rescue her at the exchange point. A man worth his salt keeps his word, does he not?
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »

Well here the late update and a late merry christmas
Gauda sticks out like a sore thumb. If he wants his beloved back, he will need to put on clothing to make him look like a mercenary. The sword he can keep though. A treasure from a hard won fight, unless he wants to buy another. And get meaner. It will help his disguise, since we are going to rescue her at the exchange point. A man worth his salt keeps his word, does he not?

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Gauda son of Hiempsal and grandson of Juba.
Now we must make a few changes before we leave.”

“Good, i had hope that you would cut a better vision, some impressive armour like your colleague here's helmet.”

“No, you have to change, you stick out like a sore thumb.
I’ll bet that bandits can smell the money on you from hundred places away.
Here, wear this old shirt of mine and put on this cloak.you tell him.”

You pass him your old dirty cloak and a threadbare shirt.

“These are rags!!? How will Avelot recognize me in them?“ Gauda look’s a little shocked at the idea.

“She won't, but that’s the idea no one will recognize you.
You will pretend to be a mercenary, one paid by yourself to transport the ransom.” you tell him.

“I see, and you have a plan then? “ he asks.
“I do, a man worth his salt keeps his word, does he not?
And you get a bit meaner, try to grimace more, look like you’ve sleep in a ditch for a few days.”

“Of course he does a man that does not keep his word is no man at all.
I guess there is no need for these then.”
Gauda pull’s a pair of silver necklaces from the bag beside him, the chains are as thick as your thumb.
He shoves them in to the large chest and start to change…

You spend the afternoon in the saddle and by next morning your at the meeting place.
It’s a windy hill top, marked with a carved shrine stone to long-forgotten god.
Looking down your within sight and probably bowshot of a large bramble patch, to the left and right is a broken line of trees.

In the early morning light you see a spying on you from the bushes for a minute before he leaves.

An hour later and band of ragged looking armed men arrive from the tree line.
At there head is a woman, in a green cloak, she’s tall with piercing blue eyes, high regal cheeks and soft olive skin.
Cleary this is the bandits queen, the one called snake hips.
As band comes to a halt, a short distance from the clearing, you quickly count there numbers, there maybe two dozen in all, armed with a mix of crude weapons and scavend armour.

“Now what your plan again Peter?” Gauda asks you….

---------
Ok you have some money so if you want to have bought some items or have set up something (traps, people hiding in bushes, spare horses, a “stray” bull, a few scarecrows..)

Companions
Gauda, son of Hiempsal

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2017, 02:01:41 am »

((Woot, new pick for peter!))
"Pretty eyes. Red hair would make her far more atractive, though. I wonder why she is called snake hips."

As for traps, a few men with us (No more than 6-12) and a few archers and swordsmen hidden away (No more than 6.) 3 horses, far back, guarded by 3 swordsmen. And 6 small bags of caltraps. 2 for each of us, when we run.

The plan is to first verify that the girl is the woman we are looking for. Second we go to start the exchange, but one of the horses 'rampages' and goes to run her over, and we 'save' her as quickly as we can, and then save her for real, while they are distracted by the horse.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2017, 11:40:36 pm »

((Woot, new pick for peter!))
"Pretty eyes. Red hair would make her far more atractive, though. I wonder why she is called snake hips."

As for traps, a few men with us (No more than 6-12) and a few archers and swordsmen hidden away (No more than 6.) 3 horses, far back, guarded by 3 swordsmen. And 6 small bags of caltraps. 2 for each of us, when we run.

The plan is to first verify that the girl is the woman we are looking for. Second we go to start the exchange, but one of the horses 'rampages' and goes to run her over, and we 'save' her as quickly as we can, and then save her for real, while they are distracted by the horse.

"We wait a while, I wonder, why she is called snake hips?
"That's why, she’s got legs for days and mean streak a mile wide." Gauda points as snake hips dismounts.
As she walks towards you, her hips swaying in her black leather trousers the name becomes self evident.

She stand with two other bandits in the middle of the ground between, your men at the top of the hill and bandits gathered below.

"Three of you, come and talk.
There rest of you stay where you are." she calls out to you.

Slowly you, Æstrid and Gauda ride towards her and dismount, snake hips gives a sign to the bandits.
A tall, pale woman is dragged from the mass of bandits, she's hooded and her hands are bound behind her back.
A fat bandit leads her on by a leash as the other pokes and prods her from behind with the butt of his spear.

"Here's the bride, now where's our silver?!" the fat man asks.

"Prove it, let see that it her." you tell them.
Snake hips smiles and nods to the bandit, he removes the princess's hood, letting you see the horse's bit and bridle she's wearing.

"Don't do it, that's what she wants.." you hear Æstrid hiss the command into Gauda’s ear as she grabs his sword hand.

"Cat got your tongue?" snake hips grins as Gauda starts to grit his teeth with rage.

The woman blinks for minute in the sunlight before she starts to murmur something.
With a fluffy mop of blonde hair, sky blue eyes and large silver nose ring, Princess Avelot is certainly pretty.

"Now i said six talents of silver but my men can get so lonely sometimes..
So let's say we start at twelve talents?" snake hips smiles

As Gauda and snake hips start the exchange, you finger the needle coated with a powerfull horse studding tonic from your pocket.
A swift stab later and the horse start to brood.
It bucks and rushes towards Avelot and with perfect timing you tackle her out of the horses path.

As you help her up you pull the bit from her mouth.
"It's a trap!" she whispers to you.
The fat bandit is seconds behind you and with a grunt he shoves you aside, quickly he puts the bit back in her mouth and leads her like a horse back to the meeting.

As the meeting goes on, you get more uneasy about the sellswords covering your back.
But you soon hear a high price being settled on, then you see it, snake hips winks at the man to her left and he starts to reach for a dagger.

Acting quickly you…
Shout a warning?
B) Draw your sword and fight?
C) Throw your self before the blade?
D) Grab Avelot and run for it?

(If your going to try and flee you have only 2 horses against there 3.
And your outnumbered in fight by 3 to 5.)

Companions
Gauda, son of Hiempsal
[/quote]

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2018, 11:26:42 am »

Well, the idea would be to run, so C. And, as we retreat, throw out one bag of caltraps. That should give a few of them pause as they step on the sharp spikes.
And we should yell at snake hips "And here I thought you were more than just a pretty face."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:21 am »

Well, the idea would be to run, so C. And, as we retreat, throw out one bag of caltraps. That should give a few of them pause as they step on the sharp spikes.
And we should yell at snake hips "And here I thought you were more than just a pretty face."

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

You hurl yourself at the man, knocking him to the ground before he can use the blade.

As you rise and draw your blade, you see Æstrid cut down, Avelot’s guard as she starts to run.

"Take Steel!!" Gauda shouts as he rams his sword thru the nearest bandit, knocking from his saddle as he rushes towards snake hips.
He thrusts at her but snake hips twists out of the way, she ducks, bends and waves out of Gauda’s wild swings.

You leap into your horses saddle and spur him onwards.
Turning you can see Sh in one hand she has a fail, the other a claw like trio of slashing blades.
Gauda’s' cheek is cut deep to the bone, as he keep trying to fend off snake hip's assault.
As ride past you slow and reach out and grab Gauda pulling him on to the back.
"And here I thought you were more than just a pretty face." you shout as the horse turns.
You throw the bag of caltrops behind as you ride back up the hill.
The bandit last mounted bandits is close behind you, and gaining fast when it happens, your horse rears and your both thrown to the ground.

As the beast trashs wildy, it hoof pierced with a caltrop, you look up at the bandit circling you both.
Gauda stands up first, he flicks the blood from his blade and shouts
"Come on then! Come taste the steel of Gauda son of Hiempsal!
Come Face Peter the mighty!, Wielder of a Cassiteride bowel ripper!, One that has faced the Kjallak!"

The rider steps back a little, he's waiting for the others.

A bolt wizzs over your head and nearly strikes the rider, on the hill above you see Æstrid with Avelot beside her on a horse.
Seeing there captive, the mounted bandits turn and ride towards her.

With an armed mob slowly advancing on you, you turn and run for the horses.

Your heart races in your chest as you run past the shine, over the hill and down in the trees.
Both of you are panting hard when the hoofs beats start to beat on the tracks behind you.

Your still running when something cracks you on the back of the head and world turns black..

When you open your eyes, it's dark and your in a cage.
Well it's more of a wooden box built on to a wagon but your trapped in it, a bucket that you can smell only to well.

The only company appears to be an old man sleeping in a corner.

It’s not long before your jailer arrives, he throws a rag covered woman inside and turns to you.
“The boss wants you next.” he tell you and your lead out and in tent.

The woman you know as snake hips is sat on a stool, holding your mother's livery collar in her left hand.

“Leave us” she tells the guard.
Then she looks at you with her cold blue eyes and and raven hair.

“Where did you get this?”  she asks….

Companions
Gauda, son of Hiempsal

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:26 pm »

"Where did you get your eyes? Why does it matter, anyway?"

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2018, 12:00:47 am »

"Where did you get your eyes? Why does it matter, anyway?"

"Hm, trying to be funny now are you?
I want the rest of the set, now where did you get it, tell me and you can go free.
... Oh your thinking about earlyer, i was paid to kill him, the old grey fart must of sent you along with him as well.
Tell you want, you just think about my deal."

She turns away and you feel a hand on your shoulder.
She put your mother's livery collar on the table and pulls up her sleaves.
And there it is a pair of large bracslets, each one made of the same sliver plates as the livery collar.

She pulls something out from under the table, it's an old cracked leather belt with dozens of holes in it.
For a minute she just lines up the silver plates, maching up the revits with the holes.
Then with a look of supprise on her face, she puts her dagger to your neck and looks you in the eye.
"Who are you really? And why do you have part of my mothers belt?"

A) Lie?
B) Hold back the information until she lets you go?
C) Confess everything?

Companions
Gauda, son of Hiempsal

[/quote]

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2018, 01:35:14 am »

How about option D?
"I. . . Apparently she wasn't all that bright. I got it from the same place I got my sword, my eyes, and, apparently your brains. Ysmene. The woman I came here to find out about. Apparently she had a daughter. Thought her eyes would have been green, though."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2018, 09:58:50 am »

How about option D?
"I. . . Apparently she wasn't all that bright. I got it from the same place I got my sword, my eyes, and, apparently your brains. Ysmene. The woman I came here to find out about. Apparently she had a daughter. Thought her eyes would have been green, though."

"Peter, Peter Hudsley.
You're not the brains of this family are you?  I got it from the same place I got my sword, my eyes, and, apparently your share of brains.
Ysmene. The woman I came here to find out about. Apparently she had a daughter. Thought her eyes would have been green, though."

"I... i had to be sure. sure that it was you little brother.
Ilerie, please don't call me snake hips.
Funny isn't it, i have my father's eyes but you have hair more hers brother.
Now you said Ysmene, where did mother go?
Did she leave you behind like me?"

"No she left us all, she's dead been dead for years, she died not long after i was born.
That's why i have her sword and why im here looking to find out more."

“An what you hope i know some thing?
I was five when she left me behind.
So you can ask all you want but i don't have answers.
You go and do what you like, the gangs is all going into hiding, so you're all getting let lose anyway.
But if you want to find me i’ll be in the north with the Sabines...”

As the new day  sun rises you find you self tied to tree with the other prisoners.
You soon wiggle free but not before the last of the bandits is gone from view.

Companions
Gauda, son of Hiempsal

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2018, 10:08:45 am »

Well, since we have everyone here, I guess it is time to finish our quest, and be happy that it was our sister who caught us like that.
Tell our wife about her sister in law, though. And send the happy couple on their way. We are roughed up enough to tell the 'Royal' Justicar that we failed in the task of retrieving her, but she managed to escape the bandits, before we were captured and escaped ourselves. . . . which isn't wholly a lie. Give him 2 coin, claim the rest is gone and you couldn't retrieve it with the rest of our stuff.
After that we head north.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:28 pm »

Well, since we have everyone here, I guess it is time to finish our quest, and be happy that it was our sister who caught us like that.
Tell our wife about her sister in law, though. And send the happy couple on their way. We are roughed up enough to tell the 'Royal' Justicar that we failed in the task of retrieving her, but she managed to escape the bandits, before we were captured and escaped ourselves. . . . which isn't wholly a lie. Give him 2 coin, claim the rest is gone and you couldn't retrieve it with the rest of our stuff.
After that we head north.
Reward Roll 5
You follow the nearest road and quickly arrive at a nearby tavern.
your quick pulled off your feet in to Æstrid's embrace, there's heavy dark bag under Ae eyes, she must not have slept all night.
"Oh honey thank Hildisvíni, you're saved.
What happened didn't they take to prisoner?.." Æstrid blurts out with out stopping to let you speak.

From under a pile of cloaks, Avelot rises with her groom to be.

"I'm starving and these two are houngy as well, raise the tavern keeper and i'll tell you all about it."
Over a breakfast of Mutton you explain most of your past day and night in heroic detail only leaving out the part about your sister.
By the end of the third tankard of mead you've finished filling evey one in on your plan to head north.

"So little? Im still not sure if your both mad or just her.
She's crazy as she wanted attack the whole camp of them last night.
And you want to give him back the money you were paid, you fought hard for it keep it.
Besides you must come back to Aquilon with us, it least to claim your reward." Gauda laughs at the idea.
"He right, we could do with a shopping trip, our horses are run ragged " Æstrid points out.
"No there’s things we must do, important business i have to attend too.
So i can’t stay too long” you firmly state
It’s only later when the hot sun is overhead that your alone and able to inform Æstrid of her sister in law.
As you reach Aquilon and purse is filled with silver before Gauda and Avelot leave you.

Talk with the 'Royal' Justicar about your mother.
Ignore him, he’s untrustworthy.

Companions
Gauda, son of Hiempsal
[/quote]

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15