Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42924 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/7
« Reply #435 on: September 17, 2017, 11:46:55 pm »

I do not see a pricecheck on the following.
Arms and Armor(s)
Our researchers have been tasked with examining our damaged Armor, to find any possible technologies or magics we can put to use in our own protection schemes.
Then again, we have made similar proposals before, so we could probably dig up an appropriate value if anyone recalls what previously proposed armour research would cost.

Also, as it stands, M.E.R.L.I.N. is too expensive to do and is thus an illegal action. But we can sell loot at any time so...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/7
« Reply #436 on: September 17, 2017, 11:48:55 pm »

Arms and Armor is an autopsy, thus only requires the corpses involved.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:00 am »

1 Decipher Black spellbook: RAM
3 Examine Armor: Madman, Yottawhat, Kashyyk
1 Project MERLIN: Hibou

+1 for Armor. Who knows, maybe we can end up producing Armors of our own.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 18, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »

The autopsy team is eager to get to work on their first job (slightly disappointing that the creature isn't something more fleshy.) The Armor corpse and hammer are cut apart lengthwise into thin sections using an abrasive water cutter, transforming the pile of scrap into something resembling a notebook made of metal and allowing the team to examine every inch of the "creature" in detail. To start with the physical traits: the armor is hollow, with no wires or machinery allowing it to move. Both the inside and outside are covered in runes, similar too but obviously distinct from those found in the magic books. All in all, the armor is about 9.5 mm thick, enough to be heavily resistant to non-AP small arms-though even deflections may damage the runes. It is composed of high-quality steel, apparently colorized by the possession rather than chemical processes. The hammer is essentially a spiked lump of metal tied to a metal shaft, with nothing particularly spectacular about it aside from its sheer size and the runes present.

On the "metaphysical" side, field operations have shown that these have been operated by "Spirits". High-intensity Aura scanning has found "Spiritual residue" or "Ectoplasm" along and around the runes. We still do not know what exactly these beings are, though some theories suggest that they are "ghosts" of dead humans, a disembodied type of "demon", or otherwise incorporeal entities that can be found in superstitions throughout the world. On a more concrete note, they can certainly be found in the runes of a "living" armor. The runes run throughout the body in a way that resembles "blood vessels", with the occasional "pore" allowing the spirit to escape, be it temporarily or in retreat. Each "Vessel" is compartmentalized, rather than making up a complete network there seems to be dozens of smaller ones. Each compartment was dubbed a "Host" by the autopsy team, as it seems to be where the spirits "live". Judging by the residue samples, when one Host is damaged the spirit is forced out. It is then capable of entering a separate Host, sharing the compartment with the current owner. This allows the Armor to work at full capacity even after taking significant damage. However, if two many Spirits are forced into a single Host, they are all forced out at once in an explosion-like "exorcism" forcing them to retreat. The hammer contains a similar network, allowing it to be used as an extension of the armor while equipped-though it lacks any internal runes making it much more vulnerable to damage.

When asked if they could successfully replicate this phenomena, the team hesitantly replied "Yes". Recreating or copying an Armor would be a simple process (though perhaps expensive). The hard part would be filling it with "Spirits". All currently observed Spirits are hostile, we would have to either discover a source of friendly Spirits or capture and force enemy Spirits into servitude (they note while this is certainly possible, it would be a high-risk high reward design, as it could turn on us if the leash is built wrong).

To make this process easier, a member of the design team came up with a simple Unnamed Spirit Trap (Free Design, unlocked by Spirit 1). The spirit trap is so simple it doesn't even take a design phase to come up with. Essentially, it is a small doll with a Host compartment of runes built into it. If its head is turned clockwise, the runes change to remove the compartment's "Pore" preventing the spirit from escaping. If we are lucky, this should mean that any time spirits are forced to retreat, one will attempt to take refuge inside the Trap, allowing us to capture them. This simple design can only hold one, and costs 10R to create. It would take a long time to build an armor with it, but it would be able to bring back enough to study.

Phase 1 Round 8
Design Phase
80R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:
Current Technology:

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 18, 2017, 02:12:36 pm »

BATMAN's Worst Knightmare
The engineers got a little overzealous with designing the BATMAN suit, and so we've tasked them with redoing parts of it in order to correct the many flaws that presented themselves. They will be attempting to fix the physical issues, such as unpleasant weight and ridiculous vulnerabilities.

Stirk, because of the low cost of the design, how much of a benefit could we expect from re-rolling cost and getting a decent roll (Say 3)?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:12:29 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/8
« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2017, 04:21:29 pm »

"Vindicator" Crucible Rifle

It's more or less an experiment with making a weapon system that involves focusing a lot of heat in the area the weapon points at, and making a weapon capable of melting through armor and flesh, and having better literal firepower than conventional weapons. The barrel and internal materials would have to be made of a material with an extremely high melting point, for obvious reasons. This will have inevitable starting bugs, since this is completely different from conventional ballistic weapons. With some more researching, we could perhaps improve on this weapon system.
it's over

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 18, 2017, 04:29:07 pm »

I vote that we try a magical system later. Right now, let's protect our soldiers and, next turn, get that blasted income system set up.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 18, 2017, 07:11:22 pm »

Stirk, because of the low cost of the design, how much of a benefit could we expect from re-rolling cost and getting a decent roll (Say 3)?

Probably around 20R. Keep in mind you only get one reroll if you go that route (Either rolling the whole thing over again and risk losing your 10 Effectiveness, or only rerolling the cost or only rerolling the complications.)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 18, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »

...That's...really a shame, without access to revisions.

Anyway, I'll edit it, we'll only be rerolling bugs.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 19, 2017, 01:47:08 am »

40R is not too terrible a cost, considering dice and cash are expensive commodities.  I'll back a bug revision for BATMAN.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 19, 2017, 06:57:28 am »

Quote from: Voting so far
BATMAN Bug Revision: 4
Vindicator Crucible Rifle: 1
it's over

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 19, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »

Vindicator sounds more like a research project to me, and we already have a rifle. Although we do just about have our bases covered. It would be nice to get an S.M.G. or Shotgun equivalent but EXCALIBUR! is doing solid work on that front. Energy weapons are certainly an interesting place to take things but probably better to get some magic churned out first? We also have fire magic, so perhaps it would be easier and more effective if we had a plasma rifle that was only usable by the magically inclined...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »

Vindicator sounds more like a research project to me, and we already have a rifle. Although we do just about have our bases covered. It would be nice to get an S.M.G. or Shotgun equivalent but EXCALIBUR! is doing solid work on that front. Energy weapons are certainly an interesting place to take things but probably better to get some magic churned out first? We also have fire magic, so perhaps it would be easier and more effective if we had a plasma rifle that was only usable by the magically inclined...

That's the point of the Vindicator crucible rifle. Ballistics are nice and all, but something that can get melt their armor and cover would help.

When we get better crucible weapon research done, next thing we'll know, their armor designed against ballistics might as well be nothing at all if they don't get heatproof armor.
it's over

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 20, 2017, 12:11:01 am »

S.L.U.D.G. specialized ammo: L.A.V.A.

(Lateral Applicator of Volatile Agents)

With the success of the SLUDG, the Department of Questionable Ideas called up R&D to start looking into making our volatile friend even more dangerous. They came back to us with a petition to disband the DoQI. So, after some bribery convincing, we sent another request to them and they came up with the LAVA type ammo.

The LAVA uses a very similar chemical compound to the original SLUDG. However, instead of utilizing the extra chemical energy stored in the mix to harden the foam, the foam merely firms up slightly before the exposure to air activates its second function: igniting the thermite that's been mixed into the batch. Because of thermite's rather high ignition temperature, small ribbons of magnesium are also added to the mixture along with several hand warmers the R&D guys cut open and threw into the mix. The result is a thick, red-hot goop with several bright yellowish lines running across it, not dissimilar from its namesake.

The objective for this ammo would be to provide a way to indiscriminately and effectively reduce anything it gets its sticky tendrils on to a pile of ash and war crimes. With the addition of thermite, the mixture should burn hot enough to melt through most conventional metals. As an extra safety measure, a specially made graphite nozzle is fitted to each SLUDG with this ammo type loaded, along with a pair of tactical oven mitts for the user.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 20, 2017, 06:58:16 am »

S.L.U.D.G. specialized ammo: L.A.V.A.

(Lateral Applicator of Volatile Agents)

With the success of the SLUDG, the Department of Questionable Ideas called up R&D to start looking into making our volatile friend even more dangerous. They came back to us with a petition to disband the DoQI. So, after some bribery convincing, we sent another request to them and they came up with the LAVA type ammo.

The LAVA uses a very similar chemical compound to the original SLUDG. However, instead of utilizing the extra chemical energy stored in the mix to harden the foam, the foam merely firms up slightly before the exposure to air activates its second function: igniting the thermite that's been mixed into the batch. Because of thermite's rather high ignition temperature, small ribbons of magnesium are also added to the mixture along with several hand warmers the R&D guys cut open and threw into the mix. The result is a thick, red-hot goop with several bright yellowish lines running across it, not dissimilar from its namesake.

The objective for this ammo would be to provide a way to indiscriminately and effectively reduce anything it gets its sticky tendrils on to a pile of ash and war crimes. With the addition of thermite, the mixture should burn hot enough to melt through most conventional metals. As an extra safety measure, a specially made graphite nozzle is fitted to each SLUDG with this ammo type loaded, along with a pair of tactical oven mitts for the user.

Suddenly, we're treating everything like Chryssalids.

Also, if the Department of Questionable Ideas gets disbanded, 10 more will pop up in it's place.

Would upvote but I'm voting for my own design.
it's over
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42