Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 43023 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/4
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2017, 07:07:33 pm »

How do rolls work anyway? High or low for good or bad? What number sided dice?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2017, 07:28:45 pm »

I believe 10-sided, and high is good for effectiveness and bad for cost and complications?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2017, 07:32:31 pm »

How do rolls work anyway? High or low for good or bad? What number sided dice?

High is good for effectiveness, bad for everything else. A d10 is used in all cases. In a brief rundown:

Effectiveness: 5 is essentially what the design is meant to do, and it does it well. 1 is Very Low, it will perform its function very poorly. 10 Performs the function outstandingly. Fairly simple scale, can change based on the difficulty of the item in question (as I mentioned with the Cybernetic enhancements earlier).
Cost: I set the base at 5, any higher adds R any lower removes it. The base depends on the object in question, "Pistol" scale items have a base of 20R for example.
Complications: Roll determines how many complications something has, and how bad those complications are. A roll of 1 means no complications, 10 means you have three, 5 has two fairly low potency.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2017, 10:37:51 pm »

Currently one vote for production. Anyone else going to vote?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2017, 01:14:23 am »

Almost perfect. I feel like a Research on "Durable Designs" miggt help with the Fragileness that our Designs tend towards, but that's for later.

Sell Oversights: Buy 2 Brighteyes
Oh, sorry
+1
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2017, 03:04:04 pm »

Agree with above.

Let's get rolling, shall we?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:36 pm »

I wonder if they will ever figure out I only ask for votes when stalling for time.

The Oversights are sold at a secret international auction sponsored by the project (5) for half of their creation price. +20R
Two new Brighteyes are produced and given to the troops formally equipped with the Oversights. -40R

Phase 3/4 Battle Report:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Phase 4 Round 4
Dissection/Development
120R
Current Designs:
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:

Current Technology:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/4
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2017, 09:25:18 pm »

Research: Translate the red Spell book.
We need SOMETHING magic to fight against their increasingly annoying psychical defenses.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2017, 08:19:36 am »

Crap. We....might need to work on those armored suits soonish. Next turn.

As of right now:
Connections Theory
By analyzing our government and scientific connections for issues (Read: Bureaucratic mishandling), we hope to be able to improve both revenues and possibly give us access to advanced scientists and their research, in whatever forms we can.

Quote from: He who slays demons...
Becomes what he fears...
Get some scientists in here, and analyze every artifact we have for interaction with this "Aura". Find out what, exactly, it is, what it can do, and how we can stop them from using it. Or, if necessary, analyze how we can use it.

Or, just for fun:
Cybernetic Arms
Building on our leg designs, research is begun on the much-more-fiddly arms and hands. The intent is to be able to functionally replace ANY lost appendage or digit. Once we've completed the arms (Hopefully to a strength higher than is natural for humans) we're going to look into improving the strength of the legs.
Ultimately, everyone on the project knows that we have two goals: Get our amputated soldiers their limbs back, and make those limbs stronger than ever before. If an Augment wants to get in a shoving match with a grizzly bear, well, might as well make sure he can win.

Or, again for fun,:
REAVER Explosives Packages
By doing some preliminary exploration into explosives, fragmentation, and ballistics, we hope to make it possible to deploy new bullets containing small fragments of various shapes and materials, as well as giving our grenades a bigger boom, and making our future grenade launchers more powerful.
Bonus points to anyone who can make that acronym an actual acronym. I'm not going to try unless people want to blow things up.

I gotta go dig up...Here!
Safety Margin
Built along the lines of modern military equipment, this 6-round revolver-style 40mm grenade launcher fires semi-automatically, can be manually set to a specific chamber (Allows multiple loads: i.e., silver frag in chamber 5, and you've loaded HEAT in Chamber 1, and there's a werewolf right there. This system allows you to just rotate backwards two chambers and pull the trigger), and utilizes a variety of ammunition, including HE, HEAT, incendiary---white phosphorus or napalm, something that doesn't stop burning--- fragmentation, silver-based fragmentation, a nonlethal riot-control-style solid rubber shot, and a flare round. The detonate on impact or timer. All the grenades can be thrown by hand if necessary, detonating on timer.

For the design phase, just so I don't have to find it later.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »

Shit! Lost one of our men.

We should work on making armor that can help mitigate damage.
it's over

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2017, 05:45:43 pm »

Since I forgot, the Artifact is worth 50R if you wish to sell it. If you do not sell it, you can either utilize it for its abilities or combine it with a creation to boost its effectiveness (which requires knowledge of how it works).

Connections Theory-Lets say 200R doubling per level.

Aura investigations: 50R

Cybernetic Arms: 50R for leg quality prosthetics (150R to next cybernetics level)

REAVER Explosives Packages: 100R

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2017, 06:16:54 pm »

Connections Theory
By analyzing our government and scientific connections for issues (Read: Bureaucratic mishandling), we hope to be able to improve both revenues and possibly give us access to advanced scientists and their research, in whatever forms we can.
I would be somewhat hesitant to engage in this if it lacks a covert element. We really don't want the wrong people to know where we live...
But personally I do not believe that we can afford to spend our resources at present, we barely have any equipment...

Study the artefact sword
It ought to be an effective weapon if we can figure out what it does.
Hopefully it will not be expensive, but if it is, then I guess we can go for the spellbook, which, in theory, will only cost us a brighteyes that explodes to inform us that the reader's insanity level is over 9000...
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2017, 06:25:47 pm »

Studying the artifact is free.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2017, 06:56:48 pm »

I wonder what it would take to get aura-detecting satellites...

120R to spend or save.
0: Translate the red Spell book.
0: 200R Connections Theory
0: 50R He who slays demons becomes what he fears...
0: 50R Cybernetic Arms
0: 100R REAVER Explosives Packages
1, RAM: Study the artefact sword
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2017, 07:25:19 pm »

Hm. Crap.

I forgot that we're facing an increasingly unified and directed enemy. This is officially interesting, guys. And we're so far behind the curve right now (Or so it feels like) that I am worried we're about to see how much damage can be done to basically-unarmored soldiers. I think we investigate that spellbook now. We've been sitting on it, and while our other actions have been mostly worthwhile, it's probably time to stop waiting on it, and find out the basics.

It's going to take 50R, but hopefully we can do that and get ourselves...whatever we need to buy.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42