Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 43014 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/4
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2017, 05:41:26 pm »

Or you could skip the flat-head bullets and use rocket boosters or small explosive charges instead of bullets.

Anyway, I suggest again:
Safety Margin
Built along the lines of modern military equipment, this 6-round revolver-style 40mm grenade launcher fires semi-automatically and can utilize a variety of ammunition, including HE, HEAT, incendiary---white phosphorus or napalm, something that doesn't stop burning--- fragmentation, silver-based fragmentation, a nonlethal riot-control-style solid rubber shot, and a flare round. Right now, work will be done on first fragmentation, then silver frag, followed by HE and incendiary. They detonate on impact or timer, set through a switch on the launcher. All the grenades can be thrown by hand if necessary, detonating on timer.

Alternatively, we fix up the Unobtainium, although that'd be a fairly underwhelming use of a design, especially as it's just not good enough against werewolves. Fragging them, however, ought to work fairly well.

Again, Stirk: What about some form of revision phase?
Perhaps we can replace a design on any given turn with two actions to fix earlier designs? Because like I said: I can't imagine a turn spent making ammo for an otherwise-serviceable weapon, not when we might be making powered armor, or improving interceptor suits or whatever.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2017, 07:46:27 pm »

Well just in case there weren't enough options on the table, how about the

SD2 "Brighteye" Scanner

This mechanism is a souped up version of the SD1 "Oversight" aimed at improving the lackluster performance of the prototype model. The SD2 features a beefed up power supply, new, more efficient scanning array, special equipment to specifically detect the new "Aura" phenomenon, side mounted flashlight, easy to read combat display, wifi antenna, and a cupholder. With the new features, this machine is meant to give more information to our soldiers better than we could have before.

So what all that fluff text meant is that this is a revision to the SD1 "Oversight" to reroll its effectiveness. We got a 1 the first time so the only place to go is up with this one.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2017, 07:50:58 pm »

*Get new one, fail to notice fatal flaw that causes scanner to explode on sight of creatures*
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2017, 07:57:09 pm »

Yes, all designs need a cupholder! Without the cupholder, the Unobtanium never would have fragged that were!

Also, the revision actions are somewhat underwhelming. At the least I would hope for a "roll twice, get the best outcome" or a "+3 to a 1 or 2, +2 to a 3 or 4, +1 to five or above" outcome that means that we won't be spending a whole design to repeat the 1 that we rolled the first time...

I figure that move a, say, 2 kilogram axehead with a, say, 200 gram explosive charge is a bit tricky, and the bullet would act as a bit of a cap to focus the recoil back into the gun. But it still amounts to what is, essentially, a rocket-axe. And as much as I appreciate the value of a rocket-axe, I just don't see it being a good use of a design action, unless we find out that dryads are completely immune to all objects that are not axe-shaped...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2017, 07:59:28 pm »

If it can only be harmed by things that are axe-shaped, we simply revise our frag grenade to have a few tiny axe heads for fragments and keep on killing things.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2017, 10:45:47 pm »

Well just in case there weren't enough options on the table, how about the

SD2 "Brighteye" Scanner

This mechanism is a souped up version of the SD1 "Oversight" aimed at improving the lackluster performance of the prototype model. The SD2 features a beefed up power supply, new, more efficient scanning array, special equipment to specifically detect the new "Aura" phenomenon, side mounted flashlight, easy to read combat display, wifi antenna, and a cupholder. With the new features, this machine is meant to give more information to our soldiers better than we could have before.

So what all that fluff text meant is that this is a revision to the SD1 "Oversight" to reroll its effectiveness. We got a 1 the first time so the only place to go is up with this one.

+1

Scanners, then reliable weaponry.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2017, 05:29:21 am »

Again, Stirk: What about some form of revision phase?
Perhaps we can replace a design on any given turn with two actions to fix earlier designs? Because like I said: I can't imagine a turn spent making ammo for an otherwise-serviceable weapon, not when we might be making powered armor, or improving interceptor suits or whatever.

We already go slow enough with the the current phases, adding another would make us go either slower. Ammunition works across weapons (so a 40mm grenade will work for all your 40mm grenade launchers), and is cheaper than making a new design. If you think its under-powered you don't have to use it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »

Lets pretend I didn't just go on a business week long haitus.

So votes! It looks like the scanner is currently (barely) winning, but not a lot of people are voting.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2017, 02:27:04 pm »

Yep, I'd say just roll the scanner and get this thing rolling again!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2017, 03:28:38 pm »

Guys, I know why our weapon attempts have been shit. We never invested a research phase into Weapon Fragments Weaponry, so we don't actually have a research base to build upon. Research into something helps prevent bugs and whatnot, which allows for not needing revisions.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2017, 10:25:48 am »

To be honest, these investigations are kinda repetitive, being just a "Eliminate all enemies" type of mission.
Maybe spicing it up with things like the supernatural forces deciding to terrorize population centers, where those missions have a goal of saving all civilians possible while killing all enemies.

Anyways, voting for upgraded scanner.
it's over

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2017, 06:48:50 pm »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We don't have an effective force yet, don't tell em to drop a terror mission on us so soon! :P

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2017, 06:51:29 pm »

The real problem with updating the rules/missions is that it takes time and effort, which I have been horrible at managing for this game :0. I do try to keep your suggestions in mind, I'm just a jerk so it generally doesn't look like it :P. I have been meaning to introduce a new mission anyway, so the next battle phase will be "Artifact Collection" (just so we don't completely rip off Xcom). The mission acts as a competition to reach the artifact-a unique, potentially powerful item that can either be used as is (though investigation may be required to unleash its full power), incorporated into a design to boost its effect (only boosts a single item, always boosts effectiveness somehow, can boost effectiveness past the normal max, boosts more based on affinity for object, and must be fully understood by research or field testing), or simply sold for a sum of money. However, failure on the mission means that a unique boss monster will appear at some point in the future to make trouble for you, and the non-elimination nature means that you do not recover as much materiel as you would in a normal mission.

But upgrading mechanics is boring so I'll think on the balance of revision later :0.

SD2 "Brighteye" Scanner

Effectiveness: 5 Medium Effectiveness

The design goes through an outstanding upgrade, making it what it should have been all along. The scanner should now be able to effectively show the entire battlefield (aside from what is covered by walls), allowing the soldiers to take advantage of the layout effectively. Within a hundred meters, the sensors are capable of seeing through walls around five meters thick, with the distance pierced getting larger the closer the sensors are to the object, and smaller the further away they get. It should be capable of identifying threats as they come up, while allowing soldiers to observe new threats effectively. They are capable of connecting to each other via wifi, allowing for realtime information sharing between units.

Phase 2 Round 4
Production phase
90R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:

Current Technology:

Now lets cross our fingers and hope I remember to update in a semi-timely manner!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/4
« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2017, 06:57:24 pm »

Almost perfect. I feel like a Research on "Durable Designs" miggt help with the Fragileness that our Designs tend towards, but that's for later.

Sell Oversights: Buy 2 Brighteyes

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 2/4
« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2017, 07:02:12 pm »

Almost perfect. I feel like a Research on "Durable Designs" miggt help with the Fragileness that our Designs tend towards, but that's for later.

Sell Oversights: Buy 2 Brighteyes

Fun fact: I had accidentally re-rolled the whole thing! The price would have been increased to 25R, but you rolled a 1 for Complications and would have removed them completely.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42