Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 42

Author Topic: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/11  (Read 42996 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 4/2
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2017, 08:00:43 pm »

Need more information on the prosthetic for a price check. If we are looking at "First step towards cyborgs" style tech, its probably going to be around 200R.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2017, 08:13:40 pm »

As in, "Useful for full-range-of-mobility". Or, "almost-as-good-as-a-normal-leg". That works too.

It can be clumsier or whatever, but bending knee, ankle, etc. You should be capable of running, walking, shuffling, jumping jacks, whatever. If we're going to lose limbs, then we're going to replace limbs.

(Actually, first question: Is there any sort of cost penalty for researching higher levels of usefulness outright? As in, if we spent two invention turns on this, could we bring the cost down by undershooting at first?)

Cause it there's not such a cost, then I say go straight for combat-useful cybernetics. Anybody who volunteers can just keep going back with better limbs.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2017, 08:17:54 pm »

I feel as though we already short of actions, I dislike spending actions if possible.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2017, 09:02:49 pm »

As in, "Useful for full-range-of-mobility". Or, "almost-as-good-as-a-normal-leg". That works too.

It can be clumsier or whatever, but bending knee, ankle, etc. You should be capable of running, walking, shuffling, jumping jacks, whatever. If we're going to lose limbs, then we're going to replace limbs.

(Actually, first question: Is there any sort of cost penalty for researching higher levels of usefulness outright? As in, if we spent two invention turns on this, could we bring the cost down by undershooting at first?)

Cause it there's not such a cost, then I say go straight for combat-useful cybernetics. Anybody who volunteers can just keep going back with better limbs.

Just to keep it useful, High effectiveness will be "On Par with normal human parts", anything lower would be inferior to normal to a varying degree, and "Very High" would be somewhat superior. Would come with all the advantages and disadvantages that go with having a bit of metal instead of flesh, and those values will change depending on what else the body part is designed to do. For flavor it would make almost-as-good-as normal but delicate prosthetics to keep the soldiers that make it back in several pieces happy. (That is to say, function in combat. At this level you arn't quite advanced enough for full feeling and such, and the "Superior" would act like bladed foot prosthetic that are theoretically better than normal feet at running).

Multi-turn discount: an interesting idea. I think I'll have to say no for now, mostly because I can't think of any mechanics for it that wouldn't be broken later in the game. And partially because it encourages you all to put more ideas on the paper. Might change it later, especially if we look towards more expensive technology. (I'm thinking that some technology can be made cheaper by making them more specific, and that later broader technology would be made cheaper due to not having to research that part. Ex if you focused on "Prosthetic arms" it would be cheaper that prosthetics would, and in return "prostetics" would cost less later on).

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2017, 02:58:05 am »

Well in that case I'd like to posit we research legs now so that we'll have more success with arms later. They are, after all, more complicated machines and also having more experience means we'd be that much closer to having rocket fists.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2017, 05:07:15 pm »

Alright, let that slip a bit X0.
0 Spectral sensors:
0 Public division:
1 Zombie toxin: RMA
0 Mage autopsy:
2 Red spellbook analysis: Hibou, Crazyabe
1 Prosthetics: Madman198237

Want to clarify your vote Hibou?

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2017, 06:46:43 pm »

The idea is that we'd try and discover what powers the book might have. Bombard it with radiation, scan it with x-rays, run it through an MRI, have a linguist translate the words, do what we can to try and figure out exactly how the mages were able to channel magic through these tomes, or at least try and get a rough understanding of where to start.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »

Well in that case I'd like to posit we research legs now so that we'll have more success with arms later. They are, after all, more complicated machines and also having more experience means we'd be that much closer to having rocket fists.

I was mostly referring to "Do you want to do that now ^ or still focus on the book".

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2017, 08:50:41 pm »

OH. Well, I was leaning towards the magic study because we haven't done any of that and it could come in handy, but I think if we weaponize SLUDG in the coming turn then we could solve a few of our magical problems anyway.

0 Spectral sensors:
0 Public division:
1 Zombie toxin: RMA
0 Mage autopsy:
1 Red spellbook analysis: Crazyabe
2 Prosthetics: Madman198237, Hibou

I'll scoot my vote over to prosthesis research. The cyber revolution is now.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2017, 09:28:45 pm »

I would like to reiterate my call to spectral sensors. If we get them before studying magic then we can analyze magic's underlying forces as we learn it and make a mad scientist quote...

Of course, that quote is not accurate. Some magics are intrinsically inconsistent and thus each one would be its own field of study that could change spontaneously. It is dubiously science if the scientific method doesn't apply...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2017, 05:34:44 pm »

Alright, so we really need to move on at this point! Lets say 50R for Leg research and move on with our lives.

Phase 1 Round 3
Design Phase
50R
Current Designs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Current Equipment:
Current Enemies:

Current Technology:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project PROMETHEUS: Supernatural Arms Race Phase 1/3
« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »

I am thinking some sort of 24mm shotgun with S.L.U.D.G., slug, and shot ammunition and consideration as a melee weapon...
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2017, 07:26:19 pm »

Ummm...More like a 40mm grenade launcher (30mm isn't big enough) with HE, HEAT (Never know what you'll find out there in this looney world we are working in), and SLUDG options.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2017, 09:14:40 pm »

The thing about SLUDG is that the more you use the more effective it becomes. The 40mm or handheld grenade option is attractive, but even then it would be about the equivalent of throwing a water balloon's worth of the stuff. It could hold down something weak, but for the big baddies we'd need more. A lot more. So allow me to introduce...

The Hydro-Optimized Solution Emitter, a.k.a.
The H.O.S.E.

The HOSE is a handheld device composed of a long sturdy barrel, a trigger mechanism, and a tube leading to a two-tank system attached to the underside. One tank holds about two liters of a fluid, in this case SLUDG, and the other, smaller tank is filled with pressurized gas. (Preferably something non-flammable, like nitrogen or carbon dioxide.) When the trigger is pulled, the pressurized gas flows into the chamber containing the SLUDG. This pushes the SLUDG out of the holding tank and through the tube. A tapered nozzle at the end of the barrel focuses the stream, shooting the fluid up to 100-150 feet depending on the pressure of the gaseous propellant.

The liquid tank can be refilled with other fluids as well, the most obvious choice being an accelerant like napalm or gasoline. Other options could include water or chemical fire retardant for a mobile fire suppressant tool, surface lubricant for tactical retreats, coolant/liquid nitrogen as an alternative offensive approach, or even filling both tanks with pressurized gas and using it with a muzzle mount to launch handheld grenades longer distances.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2017, 09:23:35 pm »

That's nice, but it would be difficult to get that in a decent semi-automatic. Still, you are rightthat a 40mm grenade launcher would be nice to have. Just, a lot of our stuff is indoors at the moment. After saying that, we will probably see a hydra in a big open field next mission and all be thinking "if only we had some artillery"...

Anythunks.
My Personal Suggestion would be Designing a new gun, which is a combination of a Club and a Shotgun, and is Designed to Shoot masses of Wire attached to little metal balls AS WELL as ordinary Shotgun shells, this would give us a decent weapon against Skeletons which would severely reduce the number of shots required to kill one, Reducing the number of Bullets wasted attempting to Shoot it here and there.
Okay...
Prom-s.g.24-003 "Bonerender" Shotgun
We start off by designing an ergonomic mace. Covered grip with an outwards ridge, A reinforced sword-catching spike above the grip, a sturdy haft, and a hefty ball with ridges on the ouuter facing. Ridges ould be basically very shallow blades to concetrate force without getting stuck in things.
Then we design a shotgun. 24mm semiautomatic smoothbore with an 8-round side-loaded magazine.
Then we combine them, Adding a shield around the barrel to minimise damage to the barrel itself while still utillising it as structure, mounting a hefty ridged shield to the underside at the tip and lighter ones at the grips. Adding a dead-man safety to force a specific thumb position in order to fire to prevent discharges while swinging or blocking with it.
due to the aiming difficulties the grip needed to be bent forwards, making it swing more like a kukri than a traditional mace, but that can be overcome with training.

Ammunition-wise it prioritises utilising the new S.L.U.D.G. rounds, then focuses on a chain-shot for catching and yanking on bone, followed by conventional rifled slugs and ball shot.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 42