Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34679 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Design Phase 2211
« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2017, 01:11:35 pm »

I will switch my vote to Superconductors on the condition it gets us to laser weaponry, it's obvious that we're gonna get our asses kicked this round, but next round... or maybe the round after that.

Who cares if they have missiles when they get killed dead by laser weapons?

1 ChainSword: Void Slayer
0 ArmoredBoat:
0 Landmine:
1 Artillery: blueturtle
3 Metallic Hydrogen Superconductors: RAM, Helmacon, Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2017, 05:00:37 pm »

0 ArmoredBoat:
0 Landmine:
1 Artillery: blueturtle
4 Metallic Hydrogen Superconductors: RAM, Helmacon, Blood_Librarian, Stabby

Sounds like this could pay off in the future.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2017, 05:41:11 pm »

0 ArmoredBoat:
0 Landmine:
2 Artillery: blueturtle, Happerry
4 Metallic Hydrogen Superconductors: RAM, Helmacon, Blood_Librarian, Stabby
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2017, 10:31:56 pm »

Design: Metallic Hydrogen Superconductors
1+1, 6, 4+1

We're closer to our goal of a cheap, room-temperature superconductor.

The HyMet Superconductor (a working title lovingly coined by our engineers) is first and foremost, extremely cheap. We could replace our infrastructure with this stuff if we really wanted to. But we don't, since that's not a particularly great idea. Our engineers have managed to create a reliable mass production process for the HyMet Superconductor and as this report is being compiled, basic "factories" are being set up for it. The production process can be easily revised so as we improve the HyMet Superconductor we can quickly incorporate the changes into our design process.
Using HyMet Superconductors in our designs, if we can properly use it, is extremely easy due to how cheap it is for us.

Now, onto the actual effectiveness. It's not great. We haven't perfected the more fine details involved in creating the substance and thus it still has to be cooled. We've included additional equipment in the design that effectively and reliably cool HyMet Superconductors, but it has a large power load and the bulk of the equipment has to be housed somewhere. The actual size of the cooling equipment depends on the total amount of the HyMet Superconductor present in the system, but generally seems to follow a 1:4 ratio in Superconductor : Cooling Equipment in terms of total volume. 10 square meters of HyMet Superconductor requires 2.5 square meters. This is of course, an approximation. We can't just directly scale up equipment like that, but it roughly matches. The power draw is also significant and requires heavy consideration in use.
But it's feasible now. Kind of.

Under extreme power loads, the material does have a tendency to, in a way, disintegrate. This shouldn't ever be a problem in any practical use of it, but it presents a potential risk in the future.

Metallic Hydrogen Superconductors: A very cheap superconductor. Requires dedicated cooling (Very roughly 1:4 superconductor:cooling ratio in terms of volume) and serious power input for cooling, but when cooled, the HyMet Superconductor works just as intended. Tends to "disintegrate" under impractical extreme power loads that shouldn't ever be reached. The required cooling isn't major, but because of the insulation, constant cooling required, and the fact that the entire cable needs it, it needs as much equipment and power as it uses. Doesn't require a Production Line.

It is now the Revision Phase of 2211.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Revision Phase 2211
« Reply #364 on: June 03, 2017, 10:52:41 pm »

Juice up the missiles. make them more destructive without compromising on reliability.
1 Missiles: Blood_Librarian

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 03, 2017, 10:53:31 pm »

Let's specifically give them a shaped charge to punch through armor.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 03, 2017, 11:03:22 pm »

Let's specifically give them a shaped charge to punch through armor.
That works.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 03, 2017, 11:21:26 pm »

I believe that the problem is area of effect rather than a lack of penetration... Really, we just need more of them...

R-B.S.-2211 "Songbird" Satellite
A radio-controlled crate that can be pushed out of an orbiting shuttle. This crate includes small rocket jets that can change its orientation, and many missiles. Probably four rows and 8 columns, about the same size as our fighters. While ill-suited to space-combat due to the lack of targetting support, meaning that the shuttle needs to get out of the way and the missiles might target their compatriots, it is quite effective at ground bombardment.

RAM-N.-2211 "Squidling"
We revise the fighter to float on landing pontoons and add three folding armoured firing positions on the top. Finally we add solar panels and a propellor+rudder to the tail-section. A dip in flight performance is expected, it just needs to land in water and be transportable.

Scanning Radar
We upsize the radar and include it on our shuttles and Venture. It allows them to detect enemy craft and avoid direct confrontation while landing supplies or outgunned, or direct combat craft to favourable engagements.

Two modules for our rifles
    Scope
        A scope to aim at long distances.
    Pistols
        An integrated pair of alternating pistol mechanisms to increase firepower at close range.

0 Juicy Missiles:
1 A.T. Missiles: Blood_Librarian
0 "Songbird" Satellite:
0 "Squidling" Nautical fighter:
0 Scanning Radar:
0 one mod:
0 two mods:
    0 Scope:
    0 Pistols:
0 :
0 :
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:27:28 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 03, 2017, 11:35:18 pm »

Shame we got a 2 in that...

We could still use it to revise the MRA for ship armor. In doing so we might even fix some of our met hydrogen problems.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 03, 2017, 11:46:51 pm »

We should use it to make a real fusion reactor/rocket first, at least that can be large in size.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 03, 2017, 11:52:24 pm »

I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2017, 07:56:52 am »

2 A.T. Missiles: Blood_Librarian
1 Smaller Missiles: blueturtle
0 "Songbird" Satellite:
0 Scanning Radar:
0 one mod:
0 two mods:
    0 Scope:
    0 Pistols:
0 Magnetic Ship Armour:
0 Fusion Reactor: the avengening:
I think the missile satellite would be a design. Also, Void Slayer has merged his "juiced missile" proposal with the AT missiles (not sure what AT stands for, should be AP for Armor Penetrating). Therefore, I've deleted the former.

I'm saying miniaturize the Songbird, aiming to condense the guidance and radar systems so we can pack more on each fighter. If this works really well, we can even use it as a surface-to-surface competitor to Moerthi bolters (this is my goal).
If nobody else does that, I have AT missiles as second choice...
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2017, 03:30:40 pm »

A.T. stands for anti-tank. Shaped-charges tend to be about penetrating a single barrier and making the other side uninhabitable, though there aremany variants...

I like to think that the satellite is all existing thruster technology, radio-control which should be extremely simple, and making a rack of existing missile bays. If it were a design I would expect to add automated targeting systems and an entry shield to enter the atmosphere before launching and to be armoured against enemy attacks in space, along with having main thrusters with which to approach hostiles. It would still have no manoeuvrability to speak of, and much simpler "go here, shoot at all visible targets" Programming unlike our fighters, but the disparity between a design and revision seems pretty clear to me. I would be more worried about the squidling which requires floats, a propellor, and sustainable energy-source on a rocket-fighter...

Shaped charges are also an unmentioned technology. We do, presumably, have explosives, possibly even high explosives, in our pistol and rifle ammunition, and rocketry is all about shaping your detonations, so it should be pretty simple, but it is still something new...
Read the First Post!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 05, 2017, 05:15:53 am »

2 A.T. Missiles: Blood_Librarian, Happerry
1 Smaller Missiles: blueturtle
0 "Songbird" Satellite:
0 Scanning Radar:
0 one mod:
0 two mods:
    0 Scope:
    0 Pistols:
0 Magnetic Ship Armour:

Our missiles can hit them, so now we just need to take them down when we hit them.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 05, 2017, 08:03:39 am »

Our missiles can hit them, so now we just need to take them down when we hit them.

Granted.

3 A.T. Missiles: Blood_Librarian, Happerry, blueturtle
0 Smaller Missiles:
0 "Songbird" Satellite:
0 Scanning Radar:
0 one mod:
0 two mods:
    0 Scope:
    0 Pistols:
0 Magnetic Ship Armour:
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31