Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38061 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Revision Phase 2211
« Reply #375 on: June 04, 2017, 08:07:43 am »

I agree that we need to fix missiles. But we must also consider the plight of our ground troops. Unless we intend to leave them alone on A1 for a year? We could afford to do that, but it would be a risk.
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2017, 08:11:57 am »

Why would we leave the enemy alone on A1. They're weak there, vulnerable. We should crush them.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2017, 08:19:15 am »

Because there are two units there, and their weapons are slightly better than ours. If we send two units to fight them there, we will lose.
Unless we devise some new weapons for troops on the ground, like artillery. In which case we will win.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2017, 08:30:12 am »

This is A1. I'm willing to bet that we're at an advantage over their rifles, especially if we can cut off either orbit and leave them unsupplied in a one of the most hostile environments in the system.
Light Blue - A frozen planet. It has an atmosphere, but it's too cold and likely doesn't have a breathable atmosphere to be outside of a space suit here. Special considerations should be taken for the extreme cold to get the best performance here, and fighting is usually done in rather mountainous terrain.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 04, 2017, 08:33:47 am »

Being cut off means they loose resupply. That tends to affect their combat ability significantly.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2017, 08:56:47 am »

I think the mountainous terrain is even more likely to favour their rifles, though. There will be plenty of rocks to hide behind from our long-range attacks, and the difficult to traverse terrain will render our suicide charges (which I remind you we still have to do, and that's terrible) even less effective.
Being out of supply does not automatically hand the win to the other side. Especially on their first turn of being cut off, when they will still have stockpiles to work with.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 04, 2017, 09:12:34 am »

Yeah, I suppose you have a point.

We can fix the missiles next turn, as the enemy is probably not going to engage offensively this turn anyway.

Edit : Wait. Isn't designing a whole new artillery piece a design action. I mean, it certainly seems like it, doesn't it.

I wonder if we should try fixing the Akhsoyrtam printers.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:17:50 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 04, 2017, 09:23:27 am »

A whole new artillery piece would be a design action, hence why I suggest simply scaling up the Jormungandr. That should be simple enough. It won't be very good, but it doesn't have to be.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 04, 2017, 10:09:29 am »

I'll support it, maybe.

Mk 4 Firedance Missile (1): Nirur Torir
Ouroboros Artillery: (2) NUKE9.13 , 10ebbor10

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Combat Phase 2208
« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2017, 10:09:59 am »

First turn out-of-supply penalty looks pretty harsh to me.

Combat Phase of 2208

Finally, the status of C3 means the troops of Amaok here are cut off from most of their supply chain. Have you seen a Printed Pistol actually blow up when used? Our forces now have; apparently it's a surprisingly common event when the pistol is left unmaintained in rather degrading salty ambient of this planet. Their morale is low without quality of life supplies, and they're forced to supplement their food and water with inferior products gained from the planet's water and limited aquatic life. Our troops however are a well-oiled fighting machine with supplies direct from Moerth!

I expect cave fighting to happen and heavily favor us. We also have radios now, which should give us a nice boost with ambushes.

They have yet to win an orbital fight, but it was close last time. Of course they're bringing something new this turn. The Crane unloads slowly. We need to win A1's orbital fight, or we can't bring the artillery or the radios.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 04, 2017, 10:10:44 am »

They won one once.

Our Improvised Warship was blown up before we created the Illiad.

Edit: Winning A1's orbital fight should be trivial.

The Enemy is down 1 carrier and 2 fighters. In order to get to A1, they need to take control of A2 orbit, and then punch through to A1. They don't have the ships to do that.

((Unless they build something new))
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:12:33 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 04, 2017, 10:21:49 am »

As ebbor says, they can't get ships to A1 so long as we control the orbit of A2 (which we currently do). Frankly, I don't understand why they were allowed to move troops there in the first place, but that's in the past. They definitely should not be able to move a warship into A1's orbit.

(Chiefwaffles, I'm not misunderstanding something here, right? So long as we control A2's orbit, A1 is off limits to their ships?)

Anyway, we put both Iliads in A2's orbit, and we should be golden.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2017, 10:29:00 am »

Presumably, because we "technically" lost A2 as in [0/3] control.

Anyway, we put both Iliads in A2's orbit, and we should be golden.
Can't do that.

We need orbital control of both A1 and A2.

Moerth can also continue supplying their Units on A2 if they control the orbits of both A1 and A2

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Combat Phase 2211
« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2017, 10:42:53 am »

Well then, we can 'control' the orbit of A1 by parking an ITC there. If they can't get any warships past A2, it works out the same, doesn't it?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:27 am »

Our Iliads are pretty slow and have poor sensors. I don't think we can either get to A2 first or stop them from bypassing it.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34