Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38136 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2207
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2017, 05:18:06 pm »

Surveillance Drone
The surveillance drone is a small highly volatile drone with several cameras able to easily survey an area or overwatch certain part of a previously decided territory.

Super Computer
Not only can this computer give you intel on success probabilities to combat or other projects, it is also able to monitor and control several drones at the same time.

Gun Visor
This small electronical lens can be worn like a monocle and gives insight about how and where to shoot, as well as giving intel on request.

Advanced Solar Power
This energy unit can be equipped onto existing vehicles and other things that need electricity. It produces an ideal amount of energy from the sun. Good for deserts.

Advanced Camoflage Suits
These suits are made of a material that takes up texture and colour of its surroundings to camouflage its wearer.

Genetical Engineered Soldiers
Dietary supplements increasing the combat abilities like instinct strength and reflexes of its users permanently

Combat Medicine
A spray on wound closer that eases pain slightly.

GPS Satellitte
A satellite that can track an ant on an anthill.

Satelitte Tracked Missiles.
A missile guided by satellite.

Super Advanced Kevlar Suits
Complete suits of lighter yet more durable kevlar with integrated oxygen masks.

Sonic Blaster
Larger rifle that fires directed sonic rays at targets to shred them to pieces and blast them apart.

Targetting Computers
Ship based computers helping with landing and weapon targetting

More ideas?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »

Why are we going down and being so invested in the biological path again? I see no problem with robots, unless their some kind of argument for a full-fledged collective consciousness for robots, which leads to . I mean in practice what's stopping us from choosing the psionics route, nothing is really set for us at the moment.

Anyways here's a idea List to add.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2017, 07:24:43 pm »

I'd love to see Psionics. Also I think if we developed a simpler drone first, we could eventually come to your swarm, though I fear you also need a supercomputer to coordinate such a robotic army.
I like the directed energy pistol as well, though I think we need a source of energy for that..
I think we should design rocketlaunchers first, and then revise our missiles to be smaller and functioning so we can use missiles for bazooka squads and arm more warheads onto the warships.
Once we got that covered we should definitely address the radio transport problem, either by improving the ships which could have its uses if anyone has a good idea, or by simply making the radios smaller. Once we got this basic setup we can reach for the stars. I mean a bazooka troop, gunfighters, missiled warships, this sounds like we can actually go against ground troops and if they have a flying unit able to fly over the surface whilst fighting we can pick at them with the bazookas.
Plan Overwhelm (4): Nirur Torir, NUKE9.13, Draignean, Detoxicated
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:43:01 pm by Detoxicated »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2017, 08:04:54 pm »

It might be worth considering using our next revise action on radios, just for the engineering XP. They couldn't even fit on that thing we spent the turn working on, and the comms advance should help with missiles.

Why are we going down and being so invested in the biological path again? I see no problem with robots, unless their some kind of argument for a full-fledged collective consciousness for robots, which leads to . I mean in practice what's stopping us from choosing the psionics route, nothing is really set for us at the moment.
Lulz, mostly. It'll be less interesting if we go down similar same tech paths, and nobody suggested anything other than that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:07:05 pm by Nirur Torir »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2017, 08:12:11 pm »

What do you think of the bazooka plan, and miniaturizing the missiles?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2017, 08:51:06 pm »

Missiles are cool. Miniaturized missiles lead to MIRVs, which are even cooler.

I don't know about using our next action for rocket launchers. We're 1-2 turns behind on practical tech, and need to know what they have.

I see some possibility in modifying our shuttles to use rockets sized for infantry use and a makeshift carrier, then revising them for infantry use, but we'll get pretty hefty command & control issues (we don't have combat planes, wet-navy carriers, effective radios, or space fighting experience). I do not much want to spend a design action on missiles sized for both ship-to-ship combat and infantry use.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2017, 08:53:20 pm »

The design would be the bazooka, while making them smaller would be revision

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Combat Phase 2208
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2017, 08:56:09 pm »

Minor note: I updated the Design post for the Interplanetary Makeshift Warship. Nothing changed mechanically, but more fluff was added and the post was just improved in general. I wrote it out pretty quickly on my phone at the time. Also, this isn't noted there, but is now in the design: The ship uses basic radar and optics to locate targets, looking in areas based on courier intelligence from Moerth.
Also, obsolete designs (original printed pistol) will now be removed from the designs list. If for whatever reason you still want to use the design, just let me know in post and I'll put it back in the list and you can use it as you please.

Combat Phase of 2208

The fighting on B2 continues this year. Our troops cheered when they finally managed to affirm the position of IMW #1 in orbit around the planet. We can only hope one sole warship is enough.
Our decision to send the "warship" to B2 was affirmed when our intelligence located one of Amaok's ITCs en route to the planet. Making use of a lucky positioning of orbits, we sent a courier to the IMW to alert it of the ITC's general location. The period after that was filled with near-painful waiting. We weren't sure if the IMW could locate the ITC even with our intelligence, let alone get a successful hit.
The next courier brought mixed news. The ITC managed to avoid targeting by our warship, but the Captain of the IMW #1 reports that they were able to get several confirmed hits on the shuttles delivering the ITC's shipments to the planet. It wouldn't prevent Amaok from delivering whatever was in that ITC, but it would definitely decrease the effectiveness of it.

Our soldiers on the planet eventually found out what the shipment was: weapons. Amaok has developed what appears to be a semi-automatic battle rifle. Deployment of the rifle is limited thanks to the actions of the IMW #1, but every encounter with squads equipping this weapon ended in near-disaster. Our troops are shot and eliminated at ranges making our pistols nearly impossible to use, and the bullets of their battle rifle easily pierce our Kevlar. However, at closer ranges their troops seem to purposely stop using the new rifles in favor of their slightly inferior pistols. It's here where we have the advantage again, but the losses already suffered are still far worse.
In more covert deployments, their battle rifles are still superior to our pistols, but are again used on purpose much less and even when they are used, they aren't as effective. These battles mostly end up in pistol-pistol fights which we can still hold a minor advantage in as well.

If it wasn't for the interception of the shuttles, the battle for B2 would have ended in disaster. But even with the gun's limited deployment, we're now on the back foot. The Commander at B2 tells us that they can likely keep on holding their ground for the next year, but after that concessions of land will have to be made. The IMW saved our forces here, but we need an advantage on the ground now, and any way to find that advantage is desperately requested by the Commander.
Neither side gains ground at Planet B2. [M: 1/3, A: 1/3]

B2 isn't the only planet their new rifles were deployed.
The barren world of C3 and the sandy desert planet A3 were both present to Amaokian invasion forces, both equipped with their new rifle. At every turn, our soldiers were overrun. The open expanses of both planets were dominated by the long-range Amaokian weapon, annihilating our pistol-wielding soldiers. We etched out the occasional "win" in covert ops using our pistols up-close, but these minor and rare victories were nothing compared to the sheer power of their new gun. Somewhat fortunately is the fact that they lose one of the new gun's advantages here - armor piercing - as neither sides have developed armor to use in hostile environments.
The Commanders of both worlds have been on the retreat this entire year. After initial devastating losses in open combat, our Commanders chose to instead tactically withdraw our main forces and use guerilla tactics to whittle their numbers. These tactics helped prevent the battles from being outright slaughters of our troops, but couldn't stop Amaok's advance.

Both Commanders are requesting immediate evacuation to either Moerth or another planet. They believe that particularly good new designs sent to them could help turn the tide, but if nothing changes then next year will be a bloodbath as both Units are eliminated.
Amaok has gained ground in C3 and A3. [M: 1/3, A: 2/3]

But the year wasn't full of losses. Our blitzkrieg in the unprepared ocean planet of C2 was without a doubt a resounding success.
Amaokian troops were slowly fortifying the islands when our troops came. Without their armor, our Mk 1.1 pistols were an even bigger success. The effect of their greater reliability is amplified when single pistol shots can pierce the spacesuits worn by both sides. Better yet, Amaok evidently never deployed their battle rifle here. Every Amaok soldier is once again equipped with their inferior printed pistols. Losses of our troops was inevitable with the ease of spacesuit piercing, but with less weapon malfunctions than the enemy, we're able to overpower them in terms of weapons on every front.

The Commander's island-hopping strategy is of great aid to our operations on C2. Using the ITC allocated for this specific purpose, our forces can choose which islands to invade and when, while Amaok forces are limited to slow movement via extremely basic seafaring transports. While their forces are occupied travelling between islands, our soldiers are relatively quickly moved to new positions to take advantage of relatively unsecured Amaokian assets as well as fortification of islands about to be assaulted by Amaok forces. The fact that we outnumber them 2-to-1 is another deciding factor here. When they manage the occasional minor victory, we still outnumber them. In most of our engagements, our forces simply outnumber the enemy's soldiers.

Finally, the status of C3 means the troops of Amaok here are cut off from most of their supply chain. Have you seen a Printed Pistol actually blow up when used? Our forces now have; apparently it's a surprisingly common event when the pistol is left unmaintained in rather degrading salty ambient of this planet. Their morale is low without quality of life supplies, and they're forced to supplement their food and water with inferior products gained from the planet's water and limited aquatic life. Our troops however are a well-oiled fighting machine with supplies direct from Moerth!

The Commander at C2 praises Moerth's tactical genius at C2, but warns that heavy Amaokian response is likely. Our forces here should be prepared for Amaok to ship in new reinforcements and/or designs such as that weapon he's been informed about. He believes that either orbital support or some kind of seafaring combat/transport vessel would be of immense aid here.
Moerth has gained ground in C2. [M: 2/3, A: 1/3]

Production Credits!
After getting tired and notably concerned by the back-and-forth bickering using every single radio channel possible at the same time, the colony ship seemed to had shut off its radio.
Some amount of hours later, they got back to both parties and after managing to get some quiet, relayed their decision. While some colonists disagreed with those in command on the ship and would settle in the other colony, as a whole, the people of the vessel chose Moerth as their new home. They were quite charmed by the noble descriptions of life in Moerth and some bought into the material putting down Amaok.
At some time next year, the ship will land in a designated area on Moerth and its occupants will be integrated into the colony's society. An agreement is eventually tentatively decided upon to allow the small amounts of disagreeing colonists to find transit to Amaok.
Moerth gets 2 Production Credit(s)! (Production Credit: Create a new Production Line for 1 year. Can be saved.)

Spoiler: Moerth Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production Lines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

It is now the design phase of 2208.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Design Phase 2208
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2017, 09:09:06 pm »

That went quite well.

I'd like to use our revise action on a rifle of our own. We should be able to, with our experience from turn 1.

For design, we might want to re-try the warship. I hate to do it without orbital infrastructure, but we kinda need it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:15:29 pm by Nirur Torir »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2017, 09:19:32 pm »

How about development into machine guns? Their quite useful for providing suppressive and defensive fire, also they are quite for long-range warfare, they could quite possible outmatch their rifles.

Shrew MMG Mk 1.0: belt-fed, gas-operated and air-cooled machine gun that requires the two usage of two personnel to keep it running for the ability to provide fire. It provides at a minimum of medium range suppressive power for helping soldiers and removing lethal potential targets, the medium machine gun takes several seconds to deploy for it be at optimum use. Has an integrated alloy bipod for recoil control and stabilization. Also, as being a machine it has a greater ability to penetrate basic Kevlar armor than our pistols.

Edit: Question here @Chiefwaffles, I understand "Psionics" is quite a fictional idea of plausible sci-fi technology that we could develop, but is it technically possible to accrue research in that field? even though its a bit imaginative side. Of course, research into something that innovative would take many and many of turns of designing before it could even have beneficial effect for our soldiers. Just using this type of specialization when comparing to messing with our species biology or developing sentient machines.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:42:02 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2017, 09:47:31 pm »

Psionics is possible (with some attempt of explaining how) but would certainly take a long time to get to a workable state.

Probably longer because we all know it's just going to get 2's.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2017, 02:59:59 am »

Is it not the case that they can't reinforce C2 until wiping out our units on C3, and vice-versa?

Anyway, I'm going to suggest the Scaythia:

Scaythia Rifle: Bearing only a passing resemblance to the Printed Pistol, this rifle, while containing several printed parts, also contains parts that have been created using more traditional methods, out of quality materials. Like the PP, it is a fairly simple device, of a tech level that would not look out of place in the earlier parts of the 20th century. Do not discount it for this reason, though- the Scaythia makes up for its simplicity by being especially reliable, easy to fix when it does break, and possessed of decent range and accuracy (or an amazing range and accuracy if compared to the PP). It uses a clipazine, and is 'automatic' in the sense that bullets are automatically chambered, allowing the user to focus on firing.
These weapons, whilst possibly more expensive than the PP, should still be simple enough to manufacture that they can be distributed to the majority of our forces.

It's going to look like we're copying them, but it just makes sense. Our highest priority is a standard infantry weapon, and one that isn't too complex. (The name, btw, is just a random word that means nothing. Feel free to suggest a better one)

Scaythia Rifle: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2017, 09:13:08 am »

Bazooka 1:
The bazook is able to shoot warship missilies in its slow to arm barrell. While the reloading time is something to improve the rocket launching Bazooka 1 can create larger areas of destruction with ease, as well as being able to shoot flying enemies quite well as well.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:25 am »

Jormungandr Bolter
A high-power, long-range, infantry rifle, chambering a round derived directly from the sabot clad rockets used on the IMW. The firing tube, in point of fact, is nearly identically, but designed using the much smaller, and highly accurate, MK I printers.

The miniature rocket sabots are similar in design to that of the warship rockets, with a thump charge in the back to ensure it clears the barrel, a secondary rocket charge in the middle to provide high velocity at target and greatly extended range, a spacing wad made of printed plastic honecomb, a high explosive charge, and a solid head designed as a kinetic penetrator-designed to ideally detonate the charge a split second after impact.

The casing is again designed to be an integral part of the explosive safety on the mini-rockets, only activating once stripped. Furthermore, slight modifications have been made to allow the sabot to engage rifling and impart spin stabilization to the rocket projectile.

EDIT:
Bazooka? Rifle? BazookaRifle.

Future Upgrades: Homing Bullets, Specialized Ammo types, built in 3d print autoforges.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:49:13 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2017, 11:36:53 am »

Jormungandr Bolter
I mean, I definitely like the idea. It would certainly outrange their rifles. I worry that we do not have the tech to do this, though, and we can't afford another flop.

...part of me still wants to do it. It would be a lot more interesting than 'WWI-II era rifle'.

@Chiefwaffles, were you intending for us to work our way up the tech tree, or can we leapfrog up it without major penalties? Like, do we have the knowledge, if not the blueprints, of how to construct modern rifles?
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34