Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 468310 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Success for some definitions of the word.
« Reply #2040 on: May 11, 2018, 10:28:05 am »

”well actually it’s both. Also, you can say jawohl or dach, if you want some variety.”
”in addition, I’d just like to say that we are not the elite, just a bunch of people no one likes.”

Simon looks up when he hears this, a confused expression on his face.  "dach... wait, so that one stupid looking dog is a yes-hound?  I guess that makes about as much sense as anything."  he shakes his head, transitioning back to a scowl  "And you might be here because you're some trash somebody just wanted you to get killed, but those of us who wanted to be here are the top.  I got in because I'm the best shot around, and the 888th does a lot of shooting!  Heh, I bet that's why we have any mortality rate at all, cowards like you get put here where you don't belong, and then you crumble under the pressure!"

"There's a difference between being coward and being stupid, man. I'm telling you, without a plan we're going to die before we even get to the damn place. Might as well just shoot ourselves right now. Do you think our deaths would accomplish anything if we get killed before we even get inside the fort?"
Spoiler: William Taggart (click to show/hide)

"Oh come off it, Firebug.  We do fine without plans, hell, we once stole a fucking magic plane and blew up an entire base deep in Nazi territory, pretty much just by luck and quick thinking.  The brass didn't even supply us with an escape plan, they just trusted us to figure something out, and guess what?  We totally did!  You're only scared because you're new.  The only thing you've gotta be scared of is that... uh, scaredness itself, 'cause that's what kills people!"

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:05 am »

The quote actually goes “do not fear. Fear is the mind-killer” x3
Or something.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 11, 2018, 10:46:09 am »

((There are plenty of quotes of that variety, but given the time period, I'm guessing Simon is either making it up as he goes, or paraphrasing Winston Churchill, who said, "So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."))
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 11, 2018, 10:53:50 am »

"The only one scared of dying here is you. I never said I didn't want to die, I said I didn't want to die without taking the enemy down with me. But since I'm the "newbie" here, why don't you tell me your clever plan to get inside the nazi fort without explosives or vehicles? You can't shoot your enemy if you die first. That means at least someone has to get inside and stay alive enough to kill every single nazi inside without damaging the fort. You think dying before even getting to the fort accomplishes anything? We need a plan because the mission is not to die and waste everyone's time, but to actually recover the fort."
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 11, 2018, 11:04:19 am »

((He is indeed referencing--poorly--the "fear itself" quote, which I've always liked due to it essentially being a fancy way of saying "Don't be afraid", with about as much logical value.

Also, Google says it came from FDR's first inauguration speech, though if I'm being honest I had absolutely no idea who said it when I came up with Simon's bit.))

Simon gives William an imperious look, and says with a completely straight face "I'm gonna crawl as close as I can without being seen, and then-" he pats one of the rifles chained to his back "-I'm gonna shoot all the Nazis before they can shoot me.  Simple and reliable, like all the best plans."

He then leans back and just stares at William smugly, like he gave the revelation of the century.

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 11, 2018, 11:50:51 am »

”you better be as damn good as you say you are, then.”

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 11, 2018, 11:57:25 am »

((Oh, whoops, you're right. it was FDR.))

"I don't know what you're all so worried about. If the fort has a clear bead on us anywhere in the city, sure that's a big problem, but Bones hasn't said any of that. Just that we need to take the surroundings first, then the fort. There's definitely going to be cover somewhere in the city, and if we get there, and it's a suicide run, and pointless, we just radio back and tell the brass that we can't take it, and they'd better blow it up."
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 11, 2018, 05:07:42 pm »

"If the brass were willing to blow the place up to save the lives of the grunts who have to take the thing, we would not be having this conversation."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 11, 2018, 05:33:36 pm »

"I think it's because they don't want the fort damaged. They don't care if we live or die, just that "the fort is intact"."
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 12, 2018, 01:06:21 am »

Carolina looks up from what you had assumed to be slumber, to contribute to the conversation.
Could we look for an escape tunnel, or a foxhole or something, then bite ‘em in the ass?She then gets a slightly nervous look, before dodging her gaze between people. In any case, this will be my first taste of real combat. I believe the tradition is to get ‘intimate’ with someone, so you have someone to remember you by. But, I don’t think that would count if the person is going to fight along side you… Speaking of which, are we dragging the pilot into a cluster fuck again?
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 12, 2018, 01:13:22 am »

"Um, okay then. I'm down for staying out of this one, if that's an option?"

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 12, 2018, 01:39:55 am »

Wait, is air support an option here? It would certainly help with a lot.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 12, 2018, 09:41:11 am »

"I'm almost sure it isn't. It would be the fastest way, but it would damage the fort. The only way is to get inside and shoot them until they die or we die. Or somehow trick them into leaving the fort and then lock the entrance from inside, but we know that won't happen."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2053 on: May 12, 2018, 10:49:55 am »

"City around first, then moving on to the bunker? Citizens are only going to be an issue for the area around, right?"

"Also, are they going to be able to fire down on us from the fort while we're clearing out the streets?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Should be.  And yes, they probably will be able to fire down on you, but I don't know how accurate they'll be at long range. Still, no one likes lead rain so I'd recommend not meandering around in the open."

"Again, how much of the place are we allowed to burn down?"
"Bunker is concrete so use fire in there as much as you want. City area has been bombed already so some more fire won't hurt it any worse. Just be careful not to trap any civies under a burning house or surround yourselves in it. "

"Right, so do we have any actual plan for not getting shot or are we just planning to run right in and die a mile from the fort?"

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)

A veritable cornstalk of a man raises his hand from the back. You don't know how you didn't notice him before.

What - uh, what the funny, blue-haired one said. I'd like to get up real close and personal before I die.

"The city section extends up to and a bit up the side of the hill the fort is on; you'll have some cover most of the way. Once you reach that hill though, you'll have to improvise. There's a reason we've been called in to deal with this; its a shit situation and no one else wants to run head first into machine gun fire.  If nothing else I'd recommend something to obscure their vision, smoke or something like it. Or flush'em out somehow. "

"I mean, some of us have guns. I'm not sure if they are very effective at close range."

"Actually, why don't we just throw a few bombs at them? We have planes, right? If we're going to fight, then we might as well throw everything we have and don't hold back."
"I wonder, son, if you might be a little shell shocked. I said already that we bombed them. Bombed them good too. There's a concrete bunker atop the hill but the real stuff is in tunnels underground.  We ain't gonna bomb through 40 feet of solid stone. Besides, a crater ain't a good defensive position. We could just bomb this city off the map but it would do no good for the ousted french citizenry  nor  for us. We want a city, not ruins. Its already half ruins as is anyways."

"I think it's because they don't want the fort damaged. They don't care if we live or die, just that "the fort is intact"."
"Now you are beginning to understand. "

"Any further questions? If not, say a prayer and load up."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Southern Advance.
« Reply #2054 on: May 12, 2018, 11:44:24 am »

Ed pulls out a Rosary and Starts saying the Our Father and Hail Mary. He gets some words wrong each pass through. Curiously, they are different words each time. He hoilds the Rosary in one hand while loading his equipment with the other. Once finished, he comments:

"We could go the blunt and direct route, and steal a tank to drive straight up to the gate. They're usually good against machinegun fire. Have to watch out for rockets though."

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mission briefing (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 228