Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 469111 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Mission 1 complete: Recruiting for mission 2.
« Reply #465 on: July 04, 2017, 12:08:05 pm »

Sounds familiar, like a modified combination of Grunts' character points/achievements and ER's token system. Works for me, but I am up for whatever system is already in place, too.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 04, 2017, 12:36:48 pm »

So if you *don't* spend Glory it's automatically considered "Banked"?

If so, then yeah, that's an excellent way to both prevent complete outrage next time a mortar attack hits and the first shot craters the highest-level character in the game. Also, I guess it simulates us becoming an elite unit and thus getting better quality replacements (Not that, you know, the 888th is ever going to actually get GOOD replacements)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 04, 2017, 12:44:10 pm »

I'm fine with that, but don't like banking.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 04, 2017, 01:26:57 pm »

B-but, who doesn't want the fear inherent in the possibility of losing all the effort you've put in? It makes death more real!
Actually though, I'm with whatever we settle on.  ;)
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:09 pm »

I dislike systems that punish you for things beyond your control. But glory sounds a lot better than "survived the mission lotto".
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 04, 2017, 04:36:35 pm »

Bah. If you don't want to be subject to events out of your control go play one of those freeform roleplay games.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 04, 2017, 04:38:12 pm »

I didn't say I didn't want to be subject to them, I said I didn't want to be punished for them. There is a difference.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 05, 2017, 12:23:49 am »

I suppose I'm fine with an experience system like GLORY.  I don't think our current system needs to be changed, but beyond that have no significant complaint.  I do think banking GLORY is weird; the only good reason to do so is if you're unsure of the most efficient ways to spend GLORY, or if you're already very well equipped and statted so extra abilities don't really contribute to your chances of success and survival.  If people are really so worried about losing progress, I'd just let them keep half of their GLORY, spent and unspent.

@Milo
WRONG!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 05, 2017, 02:35:38 am »

I wonder if I got any GLORY. :P
But I'm all up for that--it also motivates people to be more proactive, but maybe also a bit of 'sharing Glory', like when a DPS-focused character notices they were only able to do what they did thanks to the medic/support nearby. :P

[...]
Opinions? If this is accepted I'll probably rebalance some of the starting classes. [...]
Although one downside is people making one mission done, and then heroically rushing the second. :O
But I doubt people would play for minmaxing anyway.

Also I'm still wondering if I can class-swap :P
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:42:48 am by Tiruin »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 05, 2017, 06:33:50 am »

I don't like the idea of death being meaningless in this. That said I'm fine with the new GLORY system but I don't like the banking.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 05, 2017, 06:45:01 am »

@syvarris: Please don't use abbr, you can't read that on a tablet without way too much hoop jumping.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 05, 2017, 07:02:35 am »

I think that it's fine. Death is still meaningful - you don't have the gear you stored up, the stat points you gained, and if you care at all about RP that character is gone - but I think that the banking is fine because it means that the newbies won't be completely outclassed by veterans.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 05, 2017, 07:11:36 am »

I think banking is a good compromise. If you want consequences spend your glory. If you want a bit of safety net against total loss you can save a few so your new character is a little more competitive.

My main worry in an RTD with character persistence is that some players will be "unlucky" and never get cool gear, while others have more than they can use. Luckily judging from the first mission most characters will survive missions, so this is unlikely to be a huge problem. That said, with glory being assigned for doing things rather than simple survival, it is possible to get unlucky and still make a little progress.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #478 on: July 05, 2017, 07:17:29 am »

I think banking is a good compromise. If you want consequences spend your glory. If you want a bit of safety net against total loss you can save a few so your new character is a little more competitive.

My main worry in an RTD with character persistence is that some players will be "unlucky" and never get cool gear, while others have more than they can use. Luckily judging from the first mission most characters will survive missions, so this is unlikely to be a huge problem. That said, with glory being assigned for doing things rather than simple survival, it is possible to get unlucky and still make a little progress.
Well, everyone who survives successful missions will get some GLORY from completing the mission objectives. So you might be less successful, but not totally.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:21 am »

Hey, guys! I don't have headaches anymore, so I can return to playing the RTD again. I'm still sick, but at least I can concentrate now.

Spoiler: Zack Krokowicz (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 228