Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 467268 times)

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Paperboys
« Reply #1605 on: January 22, 2018, 09:32:58 am »

Spoiler: Charlie (click to show/hide)

Charlie requisitions enough money for incidentals, a set of oversized used overalls (preferably greasy) to change into, a set of mechanics' tools, a handy-talkie, a set of lock-picks, and a large rucksack.

Charlie changes his military rucksack for a civilian one. Wearing the overalls, Charlie changes his appearance to hide the fact that he is still a soldier packing a knife in each boot, and a pistol and grenade hidden elsewhere.

"Hey Denver, let's go together and see what we can find. You heading for the roofs? I'll loiter below and keep a lookout in case someone notices you looking around and decides to have a friendly chat."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1606 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:47 am »

Go to the Langham (or whatever it is at this point, I'm assuming it was still a hotel back then.) and ask the for the manager. From there I'll ask if any of the guests, or employees, have seen anything fishy. I'll also keep my eyes open for anyone who's in the building, but doesn't look like an employee, or someone who could afford to stay at a luxury hotel.

Spoiler: Carolina (click to show/hide)
The Langham is indeed a hotel, a rather impressive grown brick one that stands several stories taller than the buildings around it with arch top windows, numerous small balconies and roof covered in odd protrusions, towers and what might be chimneys.

You walk in and ask the girl at the counter to talk to the manager. She directs you back to his office in the rear of the building and you speak with him for several minutes. He says that the closest thing to suspicious he or anyone has seen recently was a white van picking up several large boxes out on the corner. He has no idea where the boxes came from, but a guest reported that a pale man in a newsboy's cap brought them there on a handcart sometime in the very early morning.

Requesting a spy glass or binoculars, preferably something small enough that it could be kept in a large pocket without people staring. So no large telescopes. Will probably head to the park, or wherever it was that they're distributing their newspaper from. Want to get a copy, and meet some of the distributors, if they're doing it in person. Also handie-talkies if we get those.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You get a pair of birdwatcher's binoculars, small folding things that won't attract attention.

They tell you that no one distributes them, instead the men in the vans deliver them to set locations and leave piles of them in public places. You find one of these piles near the statue of Prince Edward in the Park Crescent.

"I will be scouting. I have a radio, I suggest you guys use them too."

wear civilian clothes, switch (this mission only) my walkie talkie for a handie talkie. Find the tallest building in the nearby area, and scan from the roof. Are there any industrial buildings nearby, any abandoned buildings? And bombed out ruins?

Spoiler: Denver Gaunt (click to show/hide)
You get a pair of civilian clothing instead of police gear and take a handie talkie.

There are several buildings around that are about the same height, but the Langham is the only one you can easily get onto the roof of. You take a look around from there: there aren't any industrial buildings, but there are some bombed out buildings over on the east side.

Ponder in just how many ways my 'equipment' is superior to the handies those guys are giving away. Then consider how much better my radio is as well.

Also, get uniforms etc. and a bag to hide my guns in. Then do as described below.

Turning to Ed, the radio operator (who is basically the most inconspicuous person in the entire unit) makes a suggestion after studying the map.

"Sir, perhaps we could interrogate some of the locals? Y'know, ask around causally. Perhaps this would be a good place to start." He said, pointing at the 'Riding House Café' on the map.

"And we could, y'know, test if their beverages are safely potable while we do so. All in the name of protecting civilians from stale drin-, erm, expired spirits, of course."

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)
Your equipment is in fact so much better that it will probably draw a lot of attention to you. You get a uniform and bag regardless.

So I assume you mean say those things and not go do them?

"Well, if anyone actually finds something for me to do, call me."

Requisition a handie talkie, police uniform, and baton. Go explore the area, getting a basic feel for the land, and looking for a nice spot to hang out. Avoid any areas that seem dangerous, of course. And yes, I am taking my silenced pistol.

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)
You grab your gear and then wander around a bit.  The intersection of Portland place and Weymouth street seems a good enough place to hang out in order to keep an eye on the area; its got about a half dozen consulates and embassies  clustered around it so a policeman hanging around doesn't stand out either.

Ed turns to Radio, who is by far the least inconspicuous person in the entire unit, with a few rapid blinks and a blank stare.

Expired spirits? If they're spirits, they're already dead, right?

a moment's pause ...

Oh yeah ... hah! Yeah, let's go get drunk. I like that idea. Yer gonna make it hard to get any kind of real info out there though, buddy. But I bet we could make a few bucks on some bar room betting, eh? Actually, I have an idea. hmm.

Requesting some drinking money, some touristy clothing, some bribe money, a pair of wire rim spectacles, and an Oversized Rubber Ducky Bathing AccessoryTM.

naturally I'll be contacting HQ as events transpire with additional requests.
I'm gonna assume you're saying this out of earshot of Killjoys, I mean officers.

You get a big wad of bills, civilian clothing, a pair of glasses and a rubber ducky. They're a bit confused on the last one but they do it.

Pre-mission travel...
Tala sat with the others en route to the destination, free to discuss in a safe space the mission ahead.

"I'm assuming freely here. Usually from experience in my home country and with history to back it up, common facilities usually used as fronts for agendas not beneficial to the state have their work hours in a more twilight-to-early morning time, usually also not for minors. That said, since we lack expert drivers, and we do need transport around here anyway, I've made a requisition for a truck with its driving apparatus stylized and working much like a plane--for our dear Alice. That said, I'm wondering if, as what was mentioned was a 'park', I can play a role of a birdwatcher and journalist. We'd all obviously need handie-talkies of course, and the van can be our carry-all for our weapons and equipment, I can even have the sniper rifles reasonably mounted as 'prized weapons' for hunting or something, with the van being painted and called something fancy and reasonable. I heard the term was 'twitching' where we're pursuing rare birds and all that. We can easily say we're just passing through the town at this rate, and I suspect we won't be here more than two weeks. Could also disguise our intent for searching papers, other than those who want to go more overtly, as our means of spreading the greatness of birdwatching and otherwise--I haven't worked it out that well, but it's an idea. Also possible for infiltration; going to bring lots of unneeded and outdated books, to use as improvised armor if there's any time.

"Otherwise, we don't seem to have a time limit other than needing to get information ASAP. That means spreading out, keeping in communication with each other (using those handie talkies in private areas, like bathrooms?), and getting a readout on the area. What I suggest is some form of triangulation around the area of interest. We're unfamiliar with the location and its districts, businesses therein, and passage of products, goods, and the general economy of the sector. What we do know is we have a good alibi for law enforcement, and are protected by the law for any means necessary--only that we do not cause collateral damage, or instigate a firefight. We are best to act during both day and night, but night is when the civilians are usually away or in bars (as far...as I know). I'm partnering with Bob (Strider03), in anything he does. I believe it is best for us to use a buddy system, or if we're acting alone, always bring a handie-talkie. Also we can add to our story by being tourists! I know a bit of languages to try working with him that way, if he wants."

Tala drew a partially good rendition of her birdwatcher plan on her notepad. Lockpicks, whistles, and other forms that wouldn't be overt as signaling equipment, but would serve the secret team purpose well.

"I just wish there was any training for counter terrorism of the sort, though. I do assume that whoever we're de-propaganda-ing, has some sort of method to get those numbers and letters. Radio signals or encryption is the worst I've got, while another idea is they're using civilian transport. Oh, also this whistle? Signalling device, if everyone is okay with it. I'll discuss the rest later on.

"And Radioman! Can you act as our 'central' point of communications? Alongside looking like the best man who can easily contact HQ when our communications could fail, you...stand out a lot with that bodypaint, and it doesn't look recently washed either, apologies for my language."

((May I please assume that other plans can be stated on the spot? RL is nudging my thoughts at the moment :-\ sorry!))

On site...
Requesting a spy glass or binoculars, preferably something small enough that it could be kept in a large pocket without people staring. So no large telescopes. Will probably head to the park, or wherever it was that they're distributing their newspaper from. Want to get a copy, and meet some of the distributors, if they're doing it in person.
Birdwatcher boys, go! Requesting some nice hair accessories to tie down my hair, and a flat cap, (because there's this whole idea of girls in 888th = okay, girls outside in other professions like Nazi corps = nope :P) alongside a journalist's uniform (colors to blend better in the dark, alongside a large, loose coat with pockets on the outside but spacious on the inside--plus my notepad and binoculars too. Two pens which are actually a lockpick is a good addition. A whistle configured to a birdcall. Handie-talkies, and a closed van painted and worked to look like a stylized birdwatching vehicle (complete with aesthetic wings on the side, with its driving area configured for planes for Alice's expertise) for equipment carrying too, please! Oh! Also stacks of unneeded hardbound books and some tape to help, both to add to our cover story as birdwatchers, and to use old and unused or outdated books as improvised armor when we have time. Stack of pounds too, and a reflective watch.

Also bring in those stun rifles we got from the Nazis. We'll need those for non-killyness.

"Erm, does everyone present have a handie-talkie? Just checking again to be sure," Tala said, letting her awkward nervousness show.

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)

You get your long list of very specific items, however I think your teammates are the ones with the stun rifles so you'll have to ask them.

"Buddy system works. Don't wanna go in, get caught, and disappear forever. Languages works. French, maybe Italian works, unless we come across an actual Italian." He contemplated the situation a bit, trying to think if there was anything that he'd missed. Since there'd be no easy way to keep getting stuff when they left.

"Hey, do we get a stipend? In case we need to make any bribes, hire a local boy that these newspaper vendors know to do something? Probably fine if we don't, but anything that's useful. . ."

Request a stipend to bribe people?
You get a roll of bills of various values, for bribing people with various levels of integrity.

Spoiler: Charlie (click to show/hide)

Charlie requisitions enough money for incidentals, a set of oversized used overalls (preferably greasy) to change into, a set of mechanics' tools, a handy-talkie, a set of lock-picks, and a large rucksack.

Charlie changes his military rucksack for a civilian one. Wearing the overalls, Charlie changes his appearance to hide the fact that he is still a soldier packing a knife in each boot, and a pistol and grenade hidden elsewhere.

"Hey Denver, let's go together and see what we can find. You heading for the roofs? I'll loiter below and keep a lookout in case someone notices you looking around and decides to have a friendly chat."
You get your money and gear, then dress yourself up and look as much like a mechanic as possible. A bit odd in this part of town but not so much that it would cause anyone more than a momentary pause.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 22, 2018, 02:15:57 pm »

((Piecewise: One of the equipment I requisitioned for this mission is a van with controls 'made for Alice', as in using her Planes skill instead of Cars. I hope that was read before you said 'sure get it'! :))
...Also I recall a very faint memory from Ozarck. There's apparently a discord to discuss Piecewise's stuff?))

My action is linked in this post.

Now suited up in a fashionable London-esque uniform, Tala inquired to the other 888th (over the handie talkie or otherwise).

"We've now a vehicle for transport and equipment carry. Alice, are you okay with driving this? I've asked for the controls to be made for...differing specifications, so it won't get carjacked or something. It kind of stands out though, with fake wings and its overt 'birdwatching' theme. I'll be with Bob (Strider03) here. We would also probably need someone with us to inquire as police. Everyone, please communicate your findings only in discreet places. There should be a pattern for the propagandeers that would be inconspicuous for civilians. I feel like me and him may draw attention with our devices, so that may keep some paths different--we may also be spending more than a day here; I do hope everyone has added funding in general."

To Bob, she inquires: "What's your plan? I'm thinking of taking in a high-rise building with good view of the area, and looking at transport patterns from there. Otherwise, this 'snowballing' or how you say connecting info from people to people may also be a plan. I'll be telling others about me doing the lookout duty though, it's just like looking through a sniper rifle, without the gun. It may be an embarrassing plan, but that's all I have in mind, because I'm of the assumption that if the direct path was taken, they would also have counter-agents listening in on us and our efforts. Searching the perimeter of the area and going or spiralling inwards sounded good."

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:59:31 pm by Tiruin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 22, 2018, 04:24:40 pm »

"No. You can't just... You can't just put plane controls into a van and then I can drive it. It's a different skill set, okay?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 22, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »

Your equipment is in fact so much better that it will probably draw a lot of attention to you. You get a uniform and bag regardless.

The type of attention that would endanger the mission by tipping of the locals that the weirdo squad has arrived?

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 22, 2018, 04:34:21 pm »

"No. You can't just... You can't just put plane controls into a van and then I can drive it. It's a different skill set, okay?"
"Well...it's done. Could you check it out for us? You're the expert. Examining takes only a few seconds. And...then you can return to what you're doing. What are people doing anyway? I don't feel like others planned and talked about it."

The type of attention that would endanger the mission by tipping of the locals that the weirdo squad has arrived?

"Radioman? No response from you yet? Any thoughts about acting as our signaller and connection to central? How's about radio interception? We have a vehicle here for you!"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 22, 2018, 04:37:03 pm »

"Radioman? No response from you yet? Any thoughts about acting as our signaller and connection to central? How's about radio interception? We have a vehicle here for you!"

"You are probably right, ma'm, that might be the only thing I can really do this time around without arousing suspicion. Depends on what my CO requires of me though."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Storm.
« Reply #1612 on: January 22, 2018, 04:41:56 pm »

Ed looks Radio up and down for a moment.

"Now then, since there's no way in pie we're gonna sneak you in as anything normal - unless we disguise you as a phone booth - I thought, why not take advantage of our outrageousness instead? Let's go be shucksters and Yellow Journalists! Let's tell tall tales and spread ridiculous information, the likes of which isn't fit to print! Might be a way to cross paths with these illicit printers, eh?

... unless you'd rather be a phone booth? I can go normal ... I guess."

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade
« Reply #1613 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44:56 pm »

Loiter around and watch for anything, yaknow, interesting.

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 22, 2018, 04:46:48 pm »

"Now then, since there's no way in pie we're gonna sneak you in as anything normal - unless we disguise you as a phone booth - I thought, why not take advantage of our outrageousness instead? Let's go be shucksters and Yellow Journalists! Let's tell tall tales and spread ridiculous information, the likes of which isn't fit to print! Might be a way to cross paths with these illicit printers, eh?

"Interfering with the fascists by drowning them in noise? You speak my kind of language, sir."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 22, 2018, 05:04:17 pm »

Radio to group: "I have spotted a few bombed out buildings to the west, I'm going to go birdwatching there. Should be pretty quiet."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 22, 2018, 05:32:23 pm »

Radio a status update back to team. If the guest is still present, I'll ask them about what they saw. Then I'll proceed to where they said the thing happened. If guest isn't there, proceed anyways. Do I have an idea of if it's happened in this specific spot before, or how often it happens?
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 22, 2018, 07:19:54 pm »

Radio and I shall approach the drinking establishment in flashy aplomb. We'll make comments about the charm of the place, in true oblivious touristy fashion, and, hopefully draw some curious attention.

"Interfering with the fascists by drowning them in noise? You speak my kind of language, sir."

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 22, 2018, 08:13:15 pm »

"To be honest, I ain't really sure. I was thinking a high up building makes sense, we stake it out in the early morning or so, wait for the papers to be delivered. Try to see if we can get a view of any of the faces of the people working on this paper delivery, and see whether we can see which way they go after leaving." Bob shrugged. No other plans were springing to mind, so he was comfortable with either working it out as he went, or going with Tala's plan.

"S'pose if there aren't any buildings high enough, we might have a bit of a problem. If that's the case, we might want to just tail 'em. With two people that might not be too hard. Have one person follow from far behind, switch off to keep them from getting suspicious? And if they're not on foot, we'll just have to hope a building is high enough, I suppose."
Or we could try to get sneak someone on top of the van

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:15:24 pm by Strider03 »
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:40 pm »

"To be honest, I ain't really sure. I was thinking a high up building makes sense, we stake it out in the early morning or so, wait for the papers to be delivered. Try to see if we can get a view of any of the faces of the people working on this paper delivery, and see whether we can see which way they go after leaving." Bob shrugged. No other plans were springing to mind, so he was comfortable with either working it out as he went, or going with Tala's plan.

"S'pose if there aren't any buildings high enough, we might have a bit of a problem. If that's the case, we might want to just tail 'em. With two people that might not be too hard. Have one person follow from far behind, switch off to keep them from getting suspicious? And if they're not on foot, we'll just have to hope a building is high enough, I suppose."
Or we could try to get sneak someone on top of the van

"The way I see it, we've got a number of things we can do. We could go slow, make sure we do everything right without making mistakes. Or, we go hard and fast, try to finish up before they have time to notice us. I have a proposal for a plan of each kind.

Plan 1 - Slow and Steady - AKA operation 'Adolesent Ninja': We stake out, watch what happens, ID faces, take notes. We do everything one day at a time. We follow them slowly to find out where they are. We stake it out, then move in.

Plan 2 - Hard and Fast - AKA operation 'Red Hare': We watch the pick-up and drop off for a few days, just so we know we know how it works. Then we grab the paper boy, interagate him. If he doesn't give us enough to go on, we ambush the van, and try to get info from the drivers, or hope they have a map. If that fails, we come up with a better plan.
"
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 228