Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 467301 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Paperboys
« Reply #1620 on: January 22, 2018, 11:58:45 pm »

"No. You can't just... You can't just put plane controls into a van and then I can drive it. It's a different skill set, okay?"
"Well...it's done. Could you check it out for us? You're the expert. Examining takes only a few seconds. And...then you can return to what you're doing. What are people doing anyway? I don't feel like others planned and talked about it."
"Alice? It's a bit rude to not respond...especially within eyesight of the other person here. You could at least check the van before we separate and tell me directly how it looks to you. Takes no time...um, much like responding to me?"

Radio to group: "I have spotted a few bombed out buildings to the west, I'm going to go birdwatching there. Should be pretty quiet."
"We're off to the park or otherwise. A good central location overlooking a lot of people. May also help to set up our 'operations center' there with the van. Another silly thought: If we ever get those papers, I'm turning a few into our own writing with them as recycled work. I mean, it is imperative to birdwatch here."
Suggested action for me, Bob, and anyone else who wants to tag along:
> Start staking out Park Square; begin inquiring where any large paper distributer may be--from there, inquire if there are any sales, and to whom and to where. Cite birdwatching purposes for initial disclosure, to 'spread the word', always adding in the question: who else would want to?

-good plans-
-more good plans-

"Staking out interesting areas seems good. Instead of assaulting the paperboy, who probably doesn't know anything better than 'deliver this to there', we can trail them in the van or on foot. If the Radioman assists in the van, we've got a mobile communications center here. Same with Alice, but without her, I am unsure who'd take up driving. It sounds boring, but that doesn't mean you can't do anything else in between.

"That said, if anything, I've been thinking of more detail to our birdwatching story; we're birdwatching for a recently discovered species, the yellow-tailed nahtzii. And that's where my story ends. I'm not that good at this."

She turned on the handie-talkie and communicated with Radioman. "Hey Radioman? How do we know if the handie-talkies aren't...um, bugged, by the way? Bugged as in, can be intercepted by other radios."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:12:09 am by Tiruin »

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 23, 2018, 04:52:13 am »

Spoiler: Charlie (click to show/hide)

Team Ruins

Charlie follows Denver on the opposite side of the street and at a distance, asking passersby for the locations of any petrol stations or mechanic shops nearby. Things to keep an eye out for: fenced and restricted areas with van-sized gates, petrol stations, mechanics shops, or any groups of men loading or unloading vehicles. They might be part of a union that deals with these saboteurs.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 23, 2018, 05:16:48 am »

"Hey Radioman? How do we know if the handie-talkies aren't...um, bugged, by the way? Bugged as in, can be intercepted by other radios."

"I don't think we can avoid other receivers picking up on our radio signals. There are ways to encrypt our comms, but I don't think we have the kit for that, at least not in these toys they dare to call a radio around here. Unless those things have a way to add and remove a specific noise signal, but I doubt that.

Switching to an obscure frequency and switching frequencies from time to time on a set time schedule might be our best bet. Alternatively, we use some code names and code phrases so someone who is monitoring the airwaves either won't be alarmed, or at least won't be able to easily figure out what exactly we're saying."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 23, 2018, 06:41:20 am »

"Heading over."

Nonchalantly walk towards the bombed out buildings.

Spoiler: Denver Gaunt (click to show/hide)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: January 23, 2018, 09:08:58 am »

"Eh?  You need a driver?  I can totally drive, I drove the Nazi truck all over the place last mission.  It isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be, I expected driving to be waaay harder.  Bet planes are the same, actually--no offense to Alice."

Simon's requisitioning enough large bags to keep all his guns in--like hell he's leaving them behind to get stolen by some grubby privates.  He'll also requisition the standard handheld radio and inconspicuous uniform.

Otherwise, follow Tala around, wait for her to come up with something useful to do.  He'll just follow orders, and enjoy the scenery; Simon's never been in a big city before!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1625 on: January 24, 2018, 01:06:54 pm »

((Piecewise: One of the equipment I requisitioned for this mission is a van with controls 'made for Alice', as in using her Planes skill instead of Cars. I hope that was read before you said 'sure get it'! :))
...Also I recall a very faint memory from Ozarck. There's apparently a discord to discuss Piecewise's stuff?))

My action is linked in this post.

Now suited up in a fashionable London-esque uniform, Tala inquired to the other 888th (over the handie talkie or otherwise).

"We've now a vehicle for transport and equipment carry. Alice, are you okay with driving this? I've asked for the controls to be made for...differing specifications, so it won't get carjacked or something. It kind of stands out though, with fake wings and its overt 'birdwatching' theme. I'll be with Bob (Strider03) here. We would also probably need someone with us to inquire as police. Everyone, please communicate your findings only in discreet places. There should be a pattern for the propagandeers that would be inconspicuous for civilians. I feel like me and him may draw attention with our devices, so that may keep some paths different--we may also be spending more than a day here; I do hope everyone has added funding in general."

To Bob, she inquires: "What's your plan? I'm thinking of taking in a high-rise building with good view of the area, and looking at transport patterns from there. Otherwise, this 'snowballing' or how you say connecting info from people to people may also be a plan. I'll be telling others about me doing the lookout duty though, it's just like looking through a sniper rifle, without the gun. It may be an embarrassing plan, but that's all I have in mind, because I'm of the assumption that if the direct path was taken, they would also have counter-agents listening in on us and our efforts. Searching the perimeter of the area and going or spiralling inwards sounded good."

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)
Yeah, you have a van with a joystick in it. That doesn't actually use pilot, but you have it.

Your equipment is in fact so much better that it will probably draw a lot of attention to you. You get a uniform and bag regardless.

The type of attention that would endanger the mission by tipping of the locals that the weirdo squad has arrived?

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)
They'd probably consider you a lone weirdo so long as you don't openly associate with the others.

Loiter around and watch for anything, yaknow, interesting.

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)
It takes a couple of hours but eventually a white van stops on the corner and starts unloading a few bundles of news papers.

Radio a status update back to team. If the guest is still present, I'll ask them about what they saw. Then I'll proceed to where they said the thing happened. If guest isn't there, proceed anyways. Do I have an idea of if it's happened in this specific spot before, or how often it happens?
You radio the status back to the team and then head up to talk to the guess. They identify a pale man in fairly upscale dress pushing a handcart over to the corner repeatedly with lots of boxes. You get a description of a man with mustache and goatee but its pretty vague.

You head out to the scene and take a look around. You can see the faint tread-marks of the wheels of the handcart still on the sidewalk. Considering they said the dropoffs are always in different places, its probably the first time it was here.

Radio and I shall approach the drinking establishment in flashy aplomb. We'll make comments about the charm of the place, in true oblivious touristy fashion, and, hopefully draw some curious attention.

Ed looks Radio up and down for a moment.

"Now then, since there's no way in pie we're gonna sneak you in as anything normal - unless we disguise you as a phone booth - I thought, why not take advantage of our outrageousness instead? Let's go be shucksters and Yellow Journalists! Let's tell tall tales and spread ridiculous information, the likes of which isn't fit to print! Might be a way to cross paths with these illicit printers, eh?

... unless you'd rather be a phone booth? I can go normal ... I guess."

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)

"Interfering with the fascists by drowning them in noise? You speak my kind of language, sir."

You head to the local tavern and loudly proclaim the "Rustic charm" of the place while wandering around and looking at random things, and people, with intense fascination. You draw a lot of attention, though its hard to say exactly what kind. Mostly it seems to be annoyance from people trying to get some day drinking done at around 11am.

"No. You can't just... You can't just put plane controls into a van and then I can drive it. It's a different skill set, okay?"
"Well...it's done. Could you check it out for us? You're the expert. Examining takes only a few seconds. And...then you can return to what you're doing. What are people doing anyway? I don't feel like others planned and talked about it."
"Alice? It's a bit rude to not respond...especially within eyesight of the other person here. You could at least check the van before we separate and tell me directly how it looks to you. Takes no time...um, much like responding to me?"

Radio to group: "I have spotted a few bombed out buildings to the west, I'm going to go birdwatching there. Should be pretty quiet."
"We're off to the park or otherwise. A good central location overlooking a lot of people. May also help to set up our 'operations center' there with the van. Another silly thought: If we ever get those papers, I'm turning a few into our own writing with them as recycled work. I mean, it is imperative to birdwatch here."
Suggested action for me, Bob, and anyone else who wants to tag along:
> Start staking out Park Square; begin inquiring where any large paper distributer may be--from there, inquire if there are any sales, and to whom and to where. Cite birdwatching purposes for initial disclosure, to 'spread the word', always adding in the question: who else would want to?

-good plans-
-more good plans-

"Staking out interesting areas seems good. Instead of assaulting the paperboy, who probably doesn't know anything better than 'deliver this to there', we can trail them in the van or on foot. If the Radioman assists in the van, we've got a mobile communications center here. Same with Alice, but without her, I am unsure who'd take up driving. It sounds boring, but that doesn't mean you can't do anything else in between.

"That said, if anything, I've been thinking of more detail to our birdwatching story; we're birdwatching for a recently discovered species, the yellow-tailed nahtzii. And that's where my story ends. I'm not that good at this."

She turned on the handie-talkie and communicated with Radioman. "Hey Radioman? How do we know if the handie-talkies aren't...um, bugged, by the way? Bugged as in, can be intercepted by other radios."
Hmm.

You start walking around asking various store owners "Where can I get a lot of paper. For bird watching purposes."

Most are complete confused, especially when their stock has nothing to do with either thing. The owner of a bakery is practically in hysterics, apparently not good at dealing with these sorts of out of the blue semi-nonsense questions.  Eventually, however, you find a stationary store who lets you know where they get their paper from. Its not in the search area, but it is close by.

"Heading over."

Nonchalantly walk towards the bombed out buildings.

Spoiler: Denver Gaunt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Charlie (click to show/hide)

Team Ruins

Charlie follows Denver on the opposite side of the street and at a distance, asking passersby for the locations of any petrol stations or mechanic shops nearby. Things to keep an eye out for: fenced and restricted areas with van-sized gates, petrol stations, mechanics shops, or any groups of men loading or unloading vehicles. They might be part of a union that deals with these saboteurs.

The ruins are..well just that. They're bombed out but a quick survey from shows them to be completely empty. At least in terms of anything easily visible.

There's a petrol station nearby with an attached garage, but its all fairly open; even the work areas of the garage have their doors open to show the cars being worked on.

"Eh?  You need a driver?  I can totally drive, I drove the Nazi truck all over the place last mission.  It isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be, I expected driving to be waaay harder.  Bet planes are the same, actually--no offense to Alice."

Simon's requisitioning enough large bags to keep all his guns in--like hell he's leaving them behind to get stolen by some grubby privates.  He'll also requisition the standard handheld radio and inconspicuous uniform.

Otherwise, follow Tala around, wait for her to come up with something useful to do.  He'll just follow orders, and enjoy the scenery; Simon's never been in a big city before!

You get your gear and follow along, basically just sight seeing. My but this place has a lot of very tall buildings and an astonishing number of people just wandering around. More then you think you've ever seen in one place.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: January 24, 2018, 01:36:25 pm »

Location: With Strider03/Bob, undercover as birdwatchers. Park Square West area.
Simon Smith/syvarris is with us.

"Time to get some more paper!"

Tala nudged Bob and discussed her ideas in private. "We've got decent folks with us. Simon decided to tag along; good man as I've heard since the landings. Told him to keep watch to inform us. I think you'll be the best to talk to folks here, what with your linguisitic acumen. I'll keep watch too, and if Simon or I will spot anyone, either you or me could go over and...inquire about the place. Tourism is fun!"

If Strider doesn't post a bolded action: The plan is as above; he will handle procurement of things and finding a very good spot to overlook the area and roadways (somewhere indiscreet and not to be disturbed by neighbors, or that cannot disturb neighbors).

If this area is not a suitable location for that--he focuses on getting as close as possible with conversation to squeeze details regarding delivery services in this area. For us 'birdwatchers' to synchronize our time and all and not disturb the peace, if there is a formalized time. (Is there a curfew? When is the peak time for paper deliveries, and where usually are they seen? What about ones related to the war effort...as an aside, because conversations usually take quite a bit of time and our rare birds are migratory due to the war)

Tala will focus on watching...for people watching us, alongside looking for those random drops, especially the characteristics of those people and any possible quirks. To note in notepad for easier notation.

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)

-snip-

((Stuffed your stuff in the van equipment spoiler, edited your sheet here to be your possible current sheet; the link shows your original format, I just pressed it all together here :P
Also dear goodness, your stats are awesome! And the equipment you have--double that! That is some GLORY racking there.
Also unsure if you have 0 glory. Will check for you later on and edit this post if you're not around.))

Simon Smith keeps a wary lookout for anything matching those paper deliveries or randomized drop locations, and will notify Tala or Bob about them. (Possibly use camouflage skill for the drop locations too?)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:49:53 pm by Tiruin »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: January 24, 2018, 02:25:08 pm »

They'd probably consider you a lone weirdo so long as you don't openly associate with the others.
((I'm willing to let others suffer the risk take that risk.))

Join Ed in his needling of the locals for all sorts of information! One of the defeatist newspapers doesn't happen to have a copy lying around inside, does it?

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: January 24, 2018, 02:45:14 pm »

"I've identified a suspect. There are a couple actions I could take. I could, with help hopefully, detain him. Or, I could follow him, and see what he's up to. Maybe he'll lead us to a drop location. In any case, I'm requesting help at the Langham, since this could get hairy fast. "

"Additionally, I've decided to modify the parameters of operation Adolesent Ninja. Any plan with a recon component should be Adolesent Ninja. Since we are already engaged in recon, I officially move to name this operation Adolescent Ninja."

Try to maintain a visual on the pale guy. If anyone else makes any direct actions, I'll assist.
Spoiler: Carolina (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: January 24, 2018, 05:44:39 pm »

((Oh, right, forgot a bolded action last time. . .))
"Got it. I'll get to searching out what I can." Tourism might be fun, but there was the fact that tourists were sometimes not to the people living in the area. Hopefully they wouldn't be too much of a nuisance.

Follow Tiruin's plan, start searching out good perches to spy from. Figure out how good they are by determining whether they're easily visible/obvious from the ground. (If this is contradictory to what Tiruin said, sorry. Just a little busy today.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: January 24, 2018, 06:27:52 pm »

If I can make it back to the hotel in 10 minutes or less, go back and approach the van from behind.

If not, wander over to the petrol station and ask if they know somewhere I can buy a used van from.

"Hm. I think we could ask at the petrol station if there are any good birdwatching spots around."

In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade
« Reply #1631 on: January 24, 2018, 06:44:32 pm »

"Oi! You can't dump your trash here! This is a public street!"

Run up to the van and start yelling at the driver and people unloading. Act as if I think they're just dumping their rubbish here.
Um, unless there aren't any other witnesses. I'd rather not just get shot.

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: January 24, 2018, 10:48:01 pm »

"I've identified a suspect. There are a couple actions I could take. I could, with help hopefully, detain him. Or, I could follow him, and see what he's up to. Maybe he'll lead us to a drop location. In any case, I'm requesting help at the Langham, since this could get hairy fast. "

"Additionally, I've decided to modify the parameters of operation Adolesent Ninja. Any plan with a recon component should be Adolesent Ninja. Since we are already engaged in recon, I officially move to name this operation Adolescent Ninja."
"I'd advise to always track them before detaining. It's easy to not get watched in a place this crowded. If you know a bit of interrogation, try making up a presumed crime to catch them, and then since it is a mistake, you should let them go but glean information from them."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: January 25, 2018, 02:50:22 am »

"Hm.  Wonder if we should go buy some shotguns.  Birdwatchers use shotguns, right?  Be good for the disguise, and I wouldn't mind expanding my collection, heh."

Simon's sticking loosely near Tala, keeping watch for anything interesting or possibly related to the mission.  He'll mostly stay a fair distance away from her, not wanting to make the group more conspicuous as a whole.

((@Tir  Simon does indeed have 0 GLORY, I spent all of it on the De Lisle.  I put the "...?" on the end as a sort of OOC humor--Simon would find it very strange that he has no GLORY, as he believes himself to be quite glorious indeed.  Apologies for the confusion that caused.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Storm.
« Reply #1634 on: January 25, 2018, 08:15:03 am »

Attempt to lighten the mood and strike up conversation:
"Tough crowd, eh? How 'bout we lighten the mood? Radio, play something ... patriotic. A game of darts, anyone? A round on me for anyone who joins the game!"

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 228