Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Unsong: This is not a coincidence, because nothing is ever a coincidence.  (Read 13330 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

I said: "since we can't distinguish MWI and Copenhagen." That's the exact opposite of what you're claiming I said.
You've omitted a very important part of your original sentence - the word "yet". Let's see the definition of that word:
Definition of yet

a :  in addition :  besides gives yet another reason
    b :  even 2c  a yet higher speed
    c :  on top of everything else :  no less
        had wells going dry. Between two large lakes, yet — J. H. Buzard

a (1) :  up to now :  so far hasn't done much yet —often used to imply the negative of a following infinitive have yet to win a game (2) :  at this or that time :  so soon as now not time to go yet
    b :  continuously up to the present or a specified time :  still is yet a new country
    c :  at a future time :  eventually may yet see the light
Definition (2, c) seems to be the most appropriate here. This implies that you firmly believe that there is a point at a future where the Copenhagen's Interpretation and the Many-Worlds Interpretation would be distinguished by an experiment.

No, I meant (2, a). We might one day be able to distinguish between the two of them, or we might not.

Since laws of physics don't change over time, this means that you believe that Copenhagen and MWI are not just interpretations at any point of time, including the present.

1. The two theories predict our current information exactly as well as each other. This means that they are on equal grounds in terms of falsifiability.

2. In theory, it may one day be possible to construct an experiment such that the two theories give different experimental predictions.

"Everything but QM is deterministic!"
"No, that's wrong. QM is probabilistic."
"Everything but QM" only looks deterministic, because the probabilities involved are usually too small for detection, but that doesn't change the fact that they are, actually, probabilistic.

Are the laws themselves probabilistic, or do they act upon probabilistic inputs?

Anything that interacts with a probabilistic thing inevitably becomes probabilistic itself, and there's nothing physical that doesn't come into contact with QM.

You are now begging the question. If QM were deterministic, like I think it is, then the whole world would be deterministic by your definition. You can only support your argument in this way by assuming the validity of its goal. That is circular.

I am saying that the fundamental laws in all of physics are deterministic, except for QM, which I am not making a statement about within this sentence.

You're not looking at it the right way. Configuration space and complex amplitudes and whatnot, those are the fundamental thing of reality. And they act deterministically, not probabilistically. The only probabilistic part is the Born rule.
I don't think it's really fair to say "the only probabilistic part", when almost any interaction between two objects in QM involves it happening.

You are confusing laws and objects. If a single probabilistic law is applied a trillion times, that is still a single probabilistic component of QM.

That's cheating. The rest of physics takes, perhaps, a probabilistic input, but they act deterministically on that input.
As abovementioned, that's an illusion.

f(x)=x+1
x=rand(0,1)

Is f deterministic?

And the other worlds can observe themselves. The analogy holds.
Except for the part where you've claimed that Copenhagen's interpretation makes the ship disappear, but sure, whatever.

Yes, it does. Copenhagen claims that the unobservable parts of the wave function disappear. MWI claims that they work exactly as they always have - according to the Schrödinger equation. I'm pretty sure that's the one.

But why would some parts of the wave-function go away just because they've been looked at?
They don't. First, it's interaction and not "looked at", second, if I may so ask a counter-question, why does gravity attract things together and not, say, repel them? The only possible answer here is, ultimately, "that's how universe works". All interpretations are simply artificial explanations we make in order to try and make "logical" sense out of what we observe, and to me, an interpretation that doesn't require to store an infinite number of fundamentally unobservable states of the world, even if it involves axiomatically introducing probability into the system, is much simpler than the one that does.

What mechanism would make it so that parts of the wave function go away, disobeying the Schrödinger equation, when they are observed? Why would you suppose that this is the case?

Also, Occam's Rule works on laws, not objects.

But as long as they are just interpretations, they're all technically equally valid, nullifying my point that you can't calculate stuff with it. I guess I was wrong there.

Ah, I have gotten a foot in the door now. Now it is "weird but technically okay," rather than "bad and wrong." All is going according to plan... chuckles evilly

Of course, since you've made that fateful "yet" and claimed that it was "better", that means that you believe that it's more than just an interpretation, which is probably the part which I was against at in this argument.

It is a more elegant interpretation, and does not claim that its laws are periodically disobeyed whenever an "interaction" happens. Thus it is better. For now, they give the same experimental predictions, but that might not always be the case. And if they are ever distinguishable by experiment, I'd bet that there's at least a 80% chance that MWI is correct.

No, you're just saying "it's random". That's a statistical law, not a mechanism.
What do you mean by "mechanism", then? No, really, what is a mechanism? Is it supposed to be something inherently deterministic?

For instance: we know that gases act a certain way. But why do they act that way? Why does increasing the pressure increase the temperature?

Because heat is related to motion, and because gases are made of molecules. Now we understand the more fundamental entities and laws behind the previously-discovered statistical laws.

You're misrepresenting me. You're claiming that I said that there was an experimental difference between the two, but I actually said that there wasn't an experimental difference.
If you've meant that, then you've not managed to convey it properly.

Considering that you took an explicit statement to mean its exact opposite, I rather think you misread me.

I mean, with spin, it's always discrete, but with, for example, position of a particle in a one-dimensional world where the potential field's energy is zero in the range of [-1,1] and equals U outside of it, it's discrete if it doesn't have sufficient energy to escape to infinity (i.e. if its kinetic energy is lower than U), and continuous otherwise. Same with wave-function - without interactions, it continues to propagate and expand in a continuous manner, but with interactions, it discretely collapses into a different form.
I'm a little confused here.
Oh right, sorry, I've seriously confused some things here. I meant the possible energies for an electron in a hydrogen-like atom. The energy spectre is discrete where the total energy of the system is below zero, and continuous when it's above zero. Something like that. It's both discrete and continuous at the same time.

Ah, I think I see. Other things in physics also act as continuous or discrete under different circumstances. I do admit, that's a good counterargument, but where's the explanation for why the equations would suddenly collapse when observed? If they were really part of QM, wouldn't they arise from the equations themselves, just as the continuous/discrete possibilities arose from the solution to the Schrödinger-like equation in the link you gave? I didn't quite follow the entire article, but it looked like the possibilities weren't added in post-hoc, they were the result of known physical constraints.

You see the wave-function as a probability-determiner for the basic stuff of the universe, I see the wave-function as the basic stuff of the universe.
I guess you could do that, but then you'd have to work with a wave-function in an infinitely-large state space defined with an infinitely-long number of arguments.

Not quite infinitely large, but certainly large. (State space is the same as configuration space, right?)

Starting from a limited quantity of particles and then going to wave-functions as determined by their parameters and, when necessary, their interactions, seems much simpler to me.

It might be more functional to do so. Perhaps your way works best in practice; I'm fine with that. But I think that reality itself tends to work elegantly, regardless of our inelegant and quick hacks.

But if that's what is simpler for you, then sure. Just don't claim that it's objectively better.

I will grant that we are probably using different criteria to determine which theory is better.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

To everybody who is confused: I left for a while, discovered LW, devoured the sequences, and started reading rational fiction. I shared Unsong, which is rational-like fiction written by a rationalist, on the B12 forums. Sergarr had no idea what was happening. I explained. Sergarr, apparently, does not have a very high opinion of LW. Sergarr said that LW seemed to be religious. I made the Sign of Bayes asked Sergarr why they thought that. Sergarr said that LW seemed to have disdain for "mainstream science," and I started defending LW's main disagreement with Science. Then we started debating the relative merits of two interpretations of quantum fiction.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Are the laws themselves probabilistic, or do they act upon probabilistic inputs?
That's an interesting question. If we assume that the Universe's starting parameters are deterministic, then it's the laws that must be probabilistic, in order for probability to appear in the Universe. If we don't, then it's unclear.

You are now begging the question. If QM were deterministic, like I think it is, then the whole world would be deterministic by your definition. You can only support your argument in this way by assuming the validity of its goal. That is circular.

I am saying that the fundamental laws in all of physics are deterministic, except for QM, which I am not making a statement about within this sentence.
QM is effectively probabilistic relative to our observable reality, MWI or not. Therefore by my argument, the whole observable reality is probabilistic. I don't see what's circular about that argument.

And what would these "fundamental laws" be? I guess there's the laws of conservation... those are still probabilistic, though - as one interesting result of Heisenberg's uncertainty, total energy of a system can change, for a short period of time. Meaning, that these fundamental laws aren't actually fundamental, but more akin to Newton's physics relative to Einstein's ones - a very good approximation, that stops working under certain hard-to-reach conditions. Speaking of Einstein, theory of relativity is also not quite fundamental - it's mutually contradictory with the QM. While that makes QM itself not fundamental, that still makes it clear that, whatever this fundamental theory will be, in order to effectively predict our observable world, it must be probabilistic.

You are confusing laws and objects. If a single probabilistic law is applied a trillion times, that is still a single probabilistic component of QM.
Not all laws are created equal. Laws that are applied more often are, obviously, more important.

f(x)=x+1
x=rand(0,1)

Is f deterministic?
Yes.

Yes, it does. Copenhagen claims that the unobservable parts of the wave function disappear. MWI claims that they work exactly as they always have - according to the Schrödinger equation. I'm pretty sure that's the one.
Bullshit. Copenhagen doesn't claim that.

What mechanism would make it so that parts of the wave function go away, disobeying the Schrödinger equation, when they are observed? Why would you suppose that this is the case?

Also, Occam's Rule works on laws, not objects.
Do I look like a God to you? I don't know why reality works the way it is. I don't know why, for example, proton is ~1800 more massive than electron, and not any other number. I don't know why same electric charges repel, and different ones attract to each other. I don't know why internal symmetries of a group SU(3) × SU(2) × U(1) are capable of accurately predicting nearly all fundamental particles that we know and their properties.

At some point, you have to just accept that you can't reduce the fundamental set of things any further without going into baseless speculation.

Also, Occam's razor is merely a guideline. Same for "minimum description length" principle. The reason for that is that it depends on language, basic vocabulary. It's a subjective measure. Unlike physical objects themselves, laws are merely descriptions written in one of many mathematical languages that have been developed over the course of history, which means that our choice of "what's more simple" is dependent on a language in which we've formulated it, and is thus subjective.

It usually is a quite good guideline, as long as you stay within a certain bounds, but after that, it becomes iffy. "Inshallah", or "God willed it" is a quite simple law, after all, and it's capable of explaining anything - post-factum, obviously, but since the lack of predictive power doesn't matter for Occam's razor, it's still super-simple. But we don't use it, because it has zero predictive power. Which is a measure completely different than just the mere "simplicity" of a law. You could incorporate the "predictive power" requirement into the "simplicity" measure to obtain the measure of "real simplicity" of the law, but then you would have to actually consider both the laws and the objects involved, as the input parameters for the law to start predicting the observable reality.

Basically, this measure of "real simplicity" is what makes me feel like Copenhagen is more simple than MWI. MWI wins slightly by having a bit less laws, but it loses horribly on the object count.

It is a more elegant interpretation, and does not claim that its laws are periodically disobeyed whenever an "interaction" happens. Thus it is better. For now, they give the same experimental predictions, but that might not always be the case. And if they are ever distinguishable by experiment, I'd bet that there's at least a 80% chance that MWI is correct.
Barring the first part, where did you get your "80% chance" figure from?

For instance: we know that gases act a certain way. But why do they act that way? Why does increasing the pressure increase the temperature?

Because heat is related to motion, and because gases are made of molecules. Now we understand the more fundamental entities and laws behind the previously-discovered statistical laws.
OK. Now a question - do you believe that this process can be continued forever? Or is there some limit, some fundamental combination of entities, that cannot be reduced any further?

Ah, I think I see. Other things in physics also act as continuous or discrete under different circumstances. I do admit, that's a good counterargument, but where's the explanation for why the equations would suddenly collapse when observed? If they were really part of QM, wouldn't they arise from the equations themselves, just as the continuous/discrete possibilities arose from the solution to the Schrödinger-like equation in the link you gave? I didn't quite follow the entire article, but it looked like the possibilities weren't added in post-hoc, they were the result of known physical constraints.
To be blunt, I think that with things like that, there's no more fundamental explanation. It's just the way our reality is. Why do wave-functions obey Schrödinger equation? Why not any other? Schrödinger equation is based on some principles of quantum mechanics (such as linearity of the wave-function, and conservation of its norm), that appear reasonable, but these principles themselves - they're not derived, they're just set axiomatically.

For a famous example of things that look like they could be derived, but in reality are actually axioms, much more complex than the others in the set of axioms that defines a field of mathematics, you have the Parallel postulate of Euclid, for geometry on a flat surface. You can actually replace it, and it would result in different geometries, like Riemann, or Lobachevsky ones.

But the important fact is, it looks much, much more complex than the others:
"Let the following be postulated":

1. "To draw a straight line from any point to any point."
    2. "To produce [extend] a finite straight line continuously in a straight line."
    3. "To describe a circle with any centre and distance [radius]."
    4. "That all right angles are equal to one another."
    5. The parallel postulate: "That, if a straight line falling on two straight lines make the interior angles on the same side less than two right angles, the two straight lines, if produced indefinitely, meet on that side on which are the angles less than the two right angles."
At a first glance, it pretty much looks like an error. And indeed, many people have tried to write an explanation - a derivation of that fifth axiom from the first four. But they've failed. Despite it looking like a black swan, it's fundamental, and cannot be reduced any further, for the explanation of geometry on a flat plane.

The same, I believe, applies to the wave-function collapse. Sure, you can define alternative sets of axioms that don't invoke it directly, like MWI, but among all of them that I've seen, it's the most "real simple" one, by the measure of "real simplicity" I've previously defined.

Not quite infinitely large, but certainly large. (State space is the same as configuration space, right?)
It's also called phase space, and while it isn't technically infinite, you have to define a few parameters for every particle in the Universe. Last time I checked, the number of particles is about 10^150. Kinda hard to work with a function which takes 10^150 inputs.

It might be more functional to do so. Perhaps your way works best in practice; I'm fine with that. But I think that reality itself tends to work elegantly, regardless of our inelegant and quick hacks.
Eh. Minimum effort principle.

I will grant that we are probably using different criteria to determine which theory is better.
Definitely.

Sergarr, apparently, does not have a very high opinion of LW.
To clarify why: for many, many years, LW's idea-fix with AI (that being Bayesian superintelligence) was theoretically almost perfect, but was also absolutely unimplementable in practice for a simple reason that the Bayes theorem's computation time doesn't scale well to a large hypothesis space, and it also suffers from severe numerical instability issues due to having to multiply and divide by very small numbers in almost all situation.

Those minor issues didn't prevent them from also claiming that we're about to invent a self-improving AI (operating on Bayesian principles, because of course) that will rewrite reality like a God via nanomagic and that such Bayesian superintelligence AI would invent General relativity as a "hypothesis under consideration" based on only three images of a falling apple from a webcam, which is a statement that still makes me go "WTF" each time I see it.
._.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

To everybody who is confused: I left for a while, discovered LW, devoured the sequences, and started reading rational fiction. I shared Unsong, which is rational-like fiction written by a rationalist, on the B12 forums.
I have no clue what this means

What's LW? What's "rational fiction" and "rationalists"? How did you eat Loud Whispers's sequences and will he be OK?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

To everybody who is confused: I left for a while, discovered LW, devoured the sequences, and started reading rational fiction. I shared Unsong, which is rational-like fiction written by a rationalist, on the B12 forums.

What's LW? What's "rational fiction" and "rationalists"? How did you eat Loud Whispers's sequences and will he be OK?
LW means "LessWrong", a site for rationalists, and rationalists are people who make decisions rationally, i.e. without considering emotions and such. Sometimes it end up with morally interesting results, like preferring to torture a person for multiple years as long as it results in a sufficiently large number of people not getting dust specks in their eyes.
._.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just so you know, there are scientific studies proving psi and homeopathy too. It takes a decent meta-analysis to have an actual impact, since at least 5% of all studies are wrong due to simple random fluctuations.
That's not at all how P-values work.
At least 5%, I said. The p-value isn't quite the chance that the study is wrong, but it's related by Bayes' Theorem.
It's not even close. The P-value (which should have a confidence >.99 rather than >.95 in the possible study that was being discussed anyway, since it's medical in nature) is the portion of all possible random samples which would include the actual mean. It's used in science because it's a handy way to say "these numbers are probably meaningful". In cases where it's even remotely likely that this isn't adequate, though, people just use shit with more statistical power. The possibility of a study being mathematically wrong is (in practice) astronomically tiny. Most work doesn't have an impact because it's just not that useful to people. When research is flawed in the sense that it draws conclusions that aren't correct (rather than just not very useful) it's usually because the paper was bullshit in the first place. Either the experimental design was flawed or the authors tried to draw conclusions from their experiment from improper analyses. Both of these are common in younger disciplines, less funded disciplines, and especially less regulated disciplines.

Not all laws are created equal. Laws that are applied more often are, obviously, more important.
It's a moot point since no law is applied a finite amount of times. Thus a frequency of application is a subjective thing anyway.

Still 100% confused at everything going on in this thread.
Short answer is that Dozebôm's personal philosophy is at odds with modern science, and he holds it to be as valid (or moreso) but refuses to conceptualize it as a religion. Others feel that it should be considered religious, and hold that it is less valid. The details of both sides of this are confusing, as they're rooted in esoteric interpretations of quantum shit, so don't worry too much about it. Between my brother and I, we know all true things (and many false things), but I'm not going to ask him to come in and explain this whole subject.

LW means "LessWrong", a site for rationalists, and rationalists are people who make decisions rationally, i.e. without considering emotions and such. Sometimes it end up with morally interesting results, like preferring to torture a person for multiple years as long as it results in a sufficiently large number of people not getting dust specks in their eyes.
Note that while rationality sounds fine and dandy, it's heavily flawed. In the first place, applying it effectively requires substantial intellect, and applying it consistently and broadly requires tremendous intellect. Applying it consistently, broadly, and rapidly enough to be practical for every day life requires an intellect far in excess of human capacity. Furthermore, it doesn't provide a mechanism for setting different priorities and weighing them against each other. Much like game theory is flawed when applied to economics (because in fact pure economic gain is not the only priority in play) rationalism is thus flawed when taken as a philosophy governing human action. Of course, game theory does work well when applied to ethology, with the single variable being maximal effective reproduction, but your inbuilt tools are already pretty good for that; ignoring them is perilous and only using rationality to moderate them is normal; it doesn't deserve a special label.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:15:37 am by Cruxador »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

Just so you know, there are scientific studies proving psi and homeopathy too. It takes a decent meta-analysis to have an actual impact, since at least 5% of all studies are wrong due to simple random fluctuations.

Indeed. As a Bayesian, I should have known that. But it is true that some number of studies are wrong due to simple random fluctuations, and publication bias and whatnot can amplify that number.

At least 5%, I said. The p-value isn't quite the chance that the study is wrong, but it's related by Bayes' Theorem.
It's not even close. The P-value (which should have a confidence >.99 rather than >.95 in the possible study that was being discussed anyway, since it's medical in nature) is the portion of all possible random samples which would include the actual mean. It's used in science because it's a handy way to say "these numbers are probably meaningful". In cases where it's even remotely likely that this isn't adequate, though, people just use shit with more statistical power. The possibility of a study being mathematically wrong is (in practice) astronomically tiny. Most work doesn't have an impact because it's just not that useful to people. When research is flawed in the sense that it draws conclusions that aren't correct (rather than just not very useful) it's usually because the paper was bullshit in the first place. Either the experimental design was flawed or the authors tried to draw conclusions from their experiment from improper analyses. Both of these are common in younger disciplines, less funded disciplines, and especially less regulated disciplines.

But... P(A|B)=P(A)*P(B|A)/P(B), right? So the chance that the study is correct given a study coming up correct is the original guess for the truth-value of the tested statement, times the confidence level, divided by the.. original guess that the study would come up correct? I can see how earlier disciplines would have more uncertainty to begin with, though.

It's a moot point since no law is applied a finite amount of times. Thus a frequency of application is a subjective thing anyway.

We can actually compare infinities, AFAIK. If we assume that the universe is mostly the same everywhere, we can estimate the relative usage of each law.

Short answer is that Dozebôm's personal philosophy is at odds with modern science, and he holds it to be as valid (or moreso) but refuses to conceptualize it as a religion. Others feel that it should be considered religious, and hold that it is less valid. The details of both sides of this are confusing, as they're rooted in esoteric interpretations of quantum shit, so don't worry too much about it. Between my brother and I, we know all true things (and many false things), but I'm not going to ask him to come in and explain this whole subject.

I approve with most of this, except for the "personal philosophy" part. It's a fringe theory, but I didn't make it up myself.

Note that while rationality sounds fine and dandy, it's heavily flawed. In the first place, applying it effectively requires substantial intellect, and applying it consistently and broadly requires tremendous intellect. Applying it consistently, broadly, and rapidly enough to be practical for every day life requires an intellect far in excess of human capacity.

...what? Rationality isn't "use only system 2," it's "eliminate as much bias and flawed thinking as possible."

Furthermore, it doesn't provide a mechanism for setting different priorities and weighing them against each other.

Rationality doesn't tell you what you value, no.

Much like game theory is flawed when applied to economics (because in fact pure economic gain is not the only priority in play) rationalism is thus flawed when taken as a philosophy governing human action.

It's not a guiding philosophy, it's a component of your personal guiding philosophy. It's a way to achieve your values effectively.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

So, it is as if you tried to take mathematical principles and extend them beyond math, such as to morals?

Why the he'll would you do that?

Why not?

Let me clear things up - rationality works with your existing emotions and values, unless they're inconsistent. It just provides a good way of looking at them and achieving them.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

No, that is absolutely incorrect. Rationalism is not the same as Hollywood Rationalism or Straw Vulcans. Rationalism is the art of reducing errors in your thinking. It is a path to accuracy and consistency. It can help you achieve your values.

It is not against emotion. In fact, several parts of the art even require emotion. (In a nutshell: you need to be motivated to truly care about truth. Making errors becomes much less acceptable if the errors result in significant negative utility.)

It is against inconsistent emotion, or emotion that overrides rational thinking, or whatnot. Just, like, self-control, you know? It's in favor of self-control. And not valuing A more than B and B more than A, because that's stupid.

You want to talk dust specks? Let's talk dust specks.

• Pain is bad.
  • Some pain is worse than other pain, subjectively.
  • We can quantify how much worse a certain amount of pain is than another amount of pain, subjectively.
  • Two people experiencing Pain A is exactly twice as bad as one person experiencing Pain A.
  • If Pain A is half as bad as Pain B, then twice Pain A is exactly as bad as Pain B.
  • Thus, given an arbitrarily insignificant pain, there is a finite number x such that x*pain is worse than any arbitrary comparison pain.
  • Let the insignificant pain be "a dust speck in the eye." Let the other pain be "tortured for fifty years." Pain A and Pain B, respectively.
  • There exists a finite number x such that PainB < x*PainA.
  • In other words, there exists a finite number of people such that it would be preferable to torture somebody for fifty years than to subject that number of people to dust specks. QED.

The dust specks don't feel as bad, but you can't emotionally process the number 3^^^3. And to disagree is to say that, at some point, the dust-people's pain stops mattering. Or to say that you can't quantify morality, but you totally can.
Sigtext!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

But... P(A|B)=P(A)*P(B|A)/P(B), right? So the chance that the study is correct given a study coming up correct is the original guess for the truth-value of the tested statement, times the confidence level, divided by the.. original guess that the study would come up correct? I can see how earlier disciplines would have more uncertainty to begin with, though.
Not sure how you're supposed to obtain the P(B) for the theory that was just made. I mean, the author could, in many cases, say that it equals to 1, which would then break the entire Bayesian reasoning.

• Two people experiencing Pain A is exactly twice as bad as one person experiencing Pain A.
  • If Pain A is half as bad as Pain B, then twice Pain A is exactly as bad as Pain B.
Those statements aren't actually right. Let's imagine a situation where you have a certain pain threshold, and pain above that threshold makes people go insane, while the pain below it doesn't. Then, if pain A is below it and pain B (which equals twice pain A) is above it, then you can't say that inflicting pain B on one person is exactly the same as inflicting pain A on two people. It's, in fact, much worse, since insanity has much more long-lasting effects.

This is yet another reason why I do not have a very high opinion of LW. They choose this simple perfectly additive model of negative utility of pain, then make the "mere addition"-like conclusion based on that model, and instead of questioning the principles from which they've made that conclusion, they stick to it and claim that it's a sign of their superior rationality and that everyone else is irrational and stupid for not agreeing with their logic.

It's not even that you can't defend the "pro-torture" argument in any way - you can definitely say that dust-specks could have a certain small chance of making people go insane, and that over 3^^^3 people, it would result in a large number of people doing so, outweighing the one person's torture-induced insanity - but it's the fact that the traditional LW reasoning about this case that you've provided here assumes things that are completely and utterly unrealistic, like perfect additivity of pain, no matter how it's spread around.

And a conclusion made on a wrong basis is still wrong, even if it manages to get the right result by accident.
._.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed. As a Bayesian, I should have known that. But it is true that some number of studies are wrong due to simple random fluctuations, and publication bias and whatnot can amplify that number.
It's not exactly easy to get published, you know. So while this is theoretically true, it factually doesn't tend to be. I mean, how many papers can you come up with that were later disproved purely because it happened to have highly improbable results?

I approve with most of this, except for the "personal philosophy" part. It's a fringe theory, but I didn't make it up myself.
"Personal philosophy" means a philosophy that you personally ascribe to, not necessarily one that you created yourself.

Note that while rationality sounds fine and dandy, it's heavily flawed. In the first place, applying it effectively requires substantial intellect, and applying it consistently and broadly requires tremendous intellect. Applying it consistently, broadly, and rapidly enough to be practical for every day life requires an intellect far in excess of human capacity.

...what? Rationality isn't "use only system 2," it's "eliminate as much bias and flawed thinking as possible."

Furthermore, it doesn't provide a mechanism for setting different priorities and weighing them against each other.

Rationality doesn't tell you what you value, no.

Much like game theory is flawed when applied to economics (because in fact pure economic gain is not the only priority in play) rationalism is thus flawed when taken as a philosophy governing human action.

It's not a guiding philosophy, it's a component of your personal guiding philosophy. It's a way to achieve your values effectively.
The problem is that adding personal values outside of rationality is an introduction of bias. You can say that the end value is biased but steps along the way are not, but that's honestly a pretty silly thing to do; you're really just reducing the values that you can optimize for to a minimum, often only one thing. Our brains are wired as they are to begin with because it has been historically advantageous to us; our incorporation of biases is itself an optimization. We are designed to use all of our tools, including biases, emotion and instinct, and ration, in order to solve problems in the mot optimal way, with that optimization being oriented towards the complex process of survival and heightened reproductive success through accrual of resources and positive social relationships. Choosing to use ration to the exclusion of the other components of this is generally not maximally productive, because it's ignoring tools that you have at your disposal simply because you can't fully analyze them from a conscious perspective, at least not rapidly enough for normal daily behavior. It is, in itself, and irrational thing to do. Choosing not to do this, but merely to use ration as a moderating factor where feasible, is of course a reasonable thing to do but is also normal human behavior and thus not really deserving of its own special name.

Rationalism is the art of reducing errors in your thinking.
The usual word for that is "learning".

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

No, that is absolutely incorrect. Rationalism is not the same as Hollywood Rationalism or Straw Vulcans. Rationalism is the art of reducing errors in your thinking. It is a path to accuracy and consistency. It can help you achieve your values.

It is not against emotion. In fact, several parts of the art even require emotion. (In a nutshell: you need to be motivated to truly care about truth. Making errors becomes much less acceptable if the errors result in significant negative utility.)

It is against inconsistent emotion, or emotion that overrides rational thinking, or whatnot. Just, like, self-control, you know? It's in favor of self-control. And not valuing A more than B and B more than A, because that's stupid.
That sounds incredibly pretentious.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile

So, I read the whole thing over the past two days just so I could read the final chapter as it came out.

I have to say, it was a predictable ending, but predictable in an extremely satisfying way. It was a good ending.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

Spoiler: actual (click to show/hide)
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

Not sure how you're supposed to obtain the P(B) for the theory that was just made. I mean, the author could, in many cases, say that it equals to 1, which would then break the entire Bayesian reasoning.

That's true. I guess it's not really feasible to apply Bayes here.

Those statements aren't actually right. Let's imagine a situation where you have a certain pain threshold, and pain above that threshold makes people go insane, while the pain below it doesn't. Then, if pain A is below it and pain B (which equals twice pain A) is above it, then you can't say that inflicting pain B on one person is exactly the same as inflicting pain A on two people. It's, in fact, much worse, since insanity has much more long-lasting effects.

Ah, it seems that I failed to convey something. A better word for the negative utility would be "suffering," not "pain" - if there's a sharp cutoff, then you might have 89 pain-units causing 89 units of suffering, and 90 pain-units causing 1000 units of suffering.

This is yet another reason why I do not have a very high opinion of LW. They choose this simple perfectly additive model of negative utility of pain, then make the "mere addition"-like conclusion based on that model, and instead of questioning the principles from which they've made that conclusion, they stick to it and claim that it's a sign of their superior rationality and that everyone else is irrational and stupid for not agreeing with their logic.

...what are you basing this criticism on? That sounds like things that I do, but I am not a very good rationalist. I couldn't imagine Scott doing something like this. In fact, that sounds like the sort of thing that Scott criticizes, like in here.

It's not even that you can't defend the "pro-torture" argument in any way - you can definitely say that dust-specks could have a certain small chance of making people go insane, and that over 3^^^3 people, it would result in a large number of people doing so, outweighing the one person's torture-induced insanity - but it's the fact that the traditional LW reasoning about this case that you've provided here assumes things that are completely and utterly unrealistic, like perfect additivity of pain, no matter how it's spread around.

I've never assumed that. I intuitively understood that pain-to-suffering wasn't one-to-one, but failed to express that in my explanation of the dust-speck argument, mostly because it didn't seem important. If torture is 1000 PU, and a dust speck is 0.0001 PU, but they're really 1 million suffering-units and 0.000000000001 suffering-units, that doesn't change the argument at all. 3^^^3 is larger than a quintillion, so the suffering-units would still add up for more in the dust-speck scenario.

And a conclusion made on a wrong basis is still wrong, even if it manages to get the right result by accident.

Yes, that is obviously true and obviously false, depending on how you interpret it. The conclusion is correct, but the reasoning is wrong and should not be repeated.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5