Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clothing Disposal Techinques  (Read 11197 times)

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Disposal Techinques
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 01:52:53 pm »

Use a mine cart to drop 2/7 of Magma down your garbage chute every 5 years. Cleans out the excess stuff nicely.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 03:54:07 pm »

I sell them to caravans - I think somebody already suggested that.   :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 04:20:40 pm »

Yeah I trade it away. Its a little tedious and its somewhat silly my fortress becomes essentially a consignment shop or thrift store selling gently used masterwork socks. I kinda wish clothes didn't wear so fast or dwarves would mend their clothing or something.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 05:21:28 pm »

Hey, new question, why make socks at all?

Dwarves are happy with a tunic, pants, and shoes. So why make extraneous clothing items at all?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 05:32:09 pm »

Dwarfs love their hosery.  They aint foot fetishists, they just go for good old-fashioned socks appeal...

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 05:36:30 pm »

Dwarves are happy with a tunic, pants, and shoes. So why make extraneous clothing items at all?

They are happy being barefooted and clothed only with a decade old set of leather armor if they are nominally part of the milita.

I make socks so my adventurers can wear them and add that marginal smidgin of protection if a twilight husband or someshit bites his foot.

Also its savage to wear shoes without socks and my dwarves are classy people, okay?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 07:10:46 pm »

I like making my dwarves happy, because I'm playing it wrong. Also my military wears socks and cloaks along with their armour for added protection, so I add more to that since otherwise all the civvies steal them when they wear out.

Plus I usually have so much extra cloth, so why not?
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 07:20:59 pm »

Dwarfs love their hosery.  They aint foot fetishists, they just go for good old-fashioned socks appeal...

I get it!

Also, got it, it's for funsies. Makes sense :3
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 03:57:01 am »

As I meant to add to my prior joking post, old clothing (washed and torn into strips) could be usefully repurposed as dressings. And if lighting ever gets implemented, even the most unsalvagable rags could be oil-soaked as the tips of flaming arrows.

Fixed it for ya.
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 04:36:36 am »

As I meant to add to my prior joking post, old clothing (washed and torn into strips) could be usefully repurposed as dressings. And if lighting ever gets implemented, even the most unsalvagable rags could be oil-soaked as the tips of torches.

I think that wound dressing would be a great thing to do with old rags. But paper should also be made.

{Urist cancels dress wound: No old/damaged clothing to tear up....}
Cue Urist McMalpractice using forgotten beast extract soaked socks from the casualty in the caverns to dress wounds.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 09:09:16 pm »

I periodically run cleanowned scattered X (not to be confused with "x"; "X" confiscates only clothing near to falling apart), followed by autodump destroy (after making sure that nothing actually valuable, such as adamantine cloaks, was scattered and now set to be dumped). Any tattered, grimy rags left over when the filthy humans come around I trade to those suckers in exchange for the finest writing their alleged civilization has produced.

In the long term--and this wouldn't work for every fortress; you need to be pretty dang well set for adamantine (and have dfhack, to fix the adamantine-clothing-decaying bug)--I'm gradually having my legendary armorsmith create adamantine clothing for everyone. She's doing cloaks, shoes and socks first, then hoods, then gloves, and from there we'll see whether I have any left (there's a good chance I'll run out before she's done with the cloaks, shoes and socks). Another benefit to this is that I've already noticed that fewer of my dorfs are going to the hospital with minor barfighting wounds, since many non-skilled attacks will be deflected.

Side note: the armorer is one of the first migrant children to grow up, now a very valuable member of society. Both she and her father walk with crutches because they barely survived duels with terrifying creatures. She's married to one of the clothiers whom she's eventually going to put out of business; I've been having him train up armoring so he can join her in her quest to create imperishable garments for everybody.
Pages: 1 [2]