Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clothing Disposal Techinques  (Read 11196 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Clothing Disposal Techinques
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:09:58 pm »

What have you guys found is the best way to dispose of worn or damaged clothing?

I'm open to everything including DFhack solutions.

Thanks for letting me pick you guys' brain.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Disposal Techinques
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 03:55:44 pm »

What have you guys found is the best way to dispose of worn or damaged clothing?

I'm open to everything including DFhack solutions.

Thanks for letting me pick you guys' brain.

DFHack's "cleanowned" command can be useful.

I also am a fan of just hiding it all in cabinets.

Then there's always dumping worn items.  with dfhack, in the enhanced view of the stock screen, this gets easier.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 04:07:44 pm »

The only issue with hiding them in cabinets is that cabinets get full.

I never did come up with a good solution to this.  I always just periodically forbid clothing items sitting on bedroom floors so they'd lose ownership, and then reclaim them so they'd be dumped in the refuse pile.  If that's what DFHack's cleanowned command does automatically, then it sounds like an improvement at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:09:01 pm »

My preferred method tends to be an atom smasher and a temporary garbage activity zone. Make sure nothing else is set to be dumped, go through the stockpile for all the unworn x and X items, dump 'em, wait, atom smash.

Takes a loooong time, but effective for getting rid of annoying clothing and seeds that just sit and clutter crap.

DFhack's "cleanowned scattered" removes the ownership tag from all items on the floor and sets them to be dumped, which helps get crap off the floor.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 04:10:50 pm »

The only issue with hiding them in cabinets is that cabinets get full.
Then you hide the old cabinets somewhere, obviously..!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 04:40:53 pm »

"cleanowned scattered x" yearly with a dump zone close to the trade depot. When the garbage trucks roll in, unforbid the dumped clothing and send it to the trade depot. Buy everything you want from the caravan in exchange for the garbage.
I also send all the stuff from stripped gobbo siegers to the same pile, but melt the metal. I avoid stripping trolls (unless military, and thus carrying useful stuff) and just atom smash the trolls unstripped.

Edit: Corrected the above by replacing 'all' with 'x' after getting reminded by knedl's post.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:55:24 am by PatrikLundell »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 06:00:32 pm »

"cleanowned scattered all" yearly with a dump zone close to the trade depot. When the garbage trucks roll in, unforbid the dumped clothing and send it to the trade depot. Buy everything you want from the caravan in exchange for the garbage.
I also send all the stuff from stripped gobbo siegers to the same pile, but melt the metal. I avoid stripping trolls (unless military, and thus carrying useful stuff) and just atom smash the trolls unstripped.

This seems most my style, but I'm probably gonna dump it. I like to trade valuable metalworks. Feels dwarvenly.

Thanks for all the assistance, guys! Gonna use that cleanowned.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 07:39:52 pm »

My preferred method tends to be an atom smasher and a temporary garbage activity zone. Make sure nothing else is set to be dumped, go through the stockpile for all the unworn x and X items, dump 'em, wait, atom smash.

Takes a loooong time, but effective for getting rid of annoying clothing and seeds that just sit and clutter crap.

I do the same, but not atom smash: all my rags get sold to merchants. It's medieval to have a "rag man" anyhow.

But it would be awesome if we could take all the old broken down clothing and pulp it and turn it into paper, like in real life.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »

As I meant to add to my prior joking post, old clothing (washed and torn into strips) could be usefully repurposed as dressings. And if lighting ever gets implemented, even the most unsalvagable rags could be oil-soaked as the tips of torches.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:29:09 am »

I am producing mostly masterwork clothes and when those get worn out I use DFHack cleanowned commands. It's such an awesome tool and what I do is I set a dump zone next to trade depot and then set cleanowned x and X and cleanowned scattered. This makes the dwarfes to haul all the worn out clothing to tile right next to my trade depot. When they are done I delete the dump zone put a 1x1 clothing stockpile under the huge pile of clothes, reclaim whats on tile and set it to auto trade. When the traders come all that worn out clothing is at the trade depot before the caravan even gets close to my fort. I have 200 dwarfes so you can imagine the amount of clothing I get to trade when I do this. I use this when human or dwarf caravans arrive, for elves it's too much. I only produce pig tail clothes and I think it's robe that it sells for around 800-1200 per piece - that's "x" masterwork. Will implement dying it all at one point but for now it's already way too much wealth to trade away. If anyone will do this the way I do then you should be aware of holding SHIFT+up/down arrows when designating stuff when trading :)

EDIT: Forgot to say that I used clearowned primarily to get rid of fortress clutter and get some lost FPS back but later come up with the idea above. Anyway it's a good thing to do because it will help with FPS especially in the older forts.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:31:39 am by knedl »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 02:59:15 am »

Beware of destroying worn masterworks clothes through any method other than refuse decay, as the other methods result in masterwork destruction shock. I've seen it said the shock is rather limited when the clothier has produced thousands of items, but haven't investigated it myself.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 03:07:28 am »

lol Patric I once dumped the clothes with clearowned command into my atom squasher and bang lol. The alerts of masterwork item destroyed nearly blew my ears off lol. The list was so long that I was unable to scroll all the way up in the console and at the end there were a few messages (purple ones about master items destroyed) that said something like java runtime error. Can't remember exactly though but it was definitely something with Java and I was like ooopsss... lol lucky me I didn't get a crash!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 04:14:44 am »

As I meant to add to my prior joking post, old clothing (washed and torn into strips) could be usefully repurposed as dressings. And if lighting ever gets implemented, even the most unsalvagable rags could be oil-soaked as the tips of torches.

I think that wound dressing would be a great thing to do with old rags. But paper should also be made.

{Urist cancels dress wound: No old/damaged clothing to tear up....}
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 07:48:41 am »

I think that wound dressing would be a great thing to do with old rags. But paper should also be made.

{Urist cancels dress wound: No old/damaged clothing to tear up....}
Urist strips Urist McInjured to make bandages to dress his woulds with. Urist McInjured is found dead. A slab reveals Urist McInjured froze to death.
or
Urist McDoctor races towards the used clothes stockpile for bandage material. Urist McPapermaker calmly walks away with the last piece of clothing, muttering "The pen is mightier than the sword".

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 12:46:43 pm »

Either traders. (Search 'x' in the move to depot screen) or magma.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.
Pages: [1] 2