Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 87996 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2017, 09:20:50 am »

Spacex did another boringly competent landing... UNTIL THE HORNETS AWOKE!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2017, 11:29:56 am »

Was there a hornets nest in front of the camera or something?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2017, 01:16:59 pm »

I can see the headlines

"SpaceX program terminated after horrible swollen death of cameraman"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2017, 01:38:40 pm »

Foul evil creatures that hornets are.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:01 pm »

There's been a hornet nest somewhere in the vicinity of my backyard for a few years now. They used to be restricted to the southernmost parts of the Netherlands (Limburg), but temperate winters and warm summers has been allowing them further up north.
The European hornet is harmless enough though as long as you don't go near their nest. Not agressive at all, and also not hunting for sweets like the annoying wasp do in late season. There's just a handful of them roaming my garden in summer, most likely hunting bees. They're quite pretty, with red legs, and red/black neck shields.

EDIT: they're also proficient navigators. While bees, bumblebees, and the various type of hoverflies regularily fly through my backdoor and get themselves stuck flyng between the front and back window until I catch them in a glass and release them back outside, the hornets, despite them seeming particularily fond of the white painted wall next to my backyard door, never fly inside and get themselves trapped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:11:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2017, 02:19:55 pm »

Yeah, I think it was actually just wasps near the camera, but in this part of the country and over where spacex is, hornet is just as likely to refer to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet who are not chill, I will straight up pet bumblebees, politely relocate bees, and rescue mud-daubers that get stuck in the pool by scooping them up so they can dry and fly off.

Fuck bald-faced hornets, and fuck yellowjackets, they get backhanded and stomped and the nest gets burned, they exist to fuck your shit up, so fuck theirs up first!

"But they help control pest insects" so what, I'll leave that to spiders thanks, they're chill, never had a spider decide to come chase me and send a horde of their buddies after me, which to be fair would be horrific, but hornets and wasps do that shit as a matter of course so they get to live in the woods away from me.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 02:41:47 pm »

Yeah, I think it was actually just wasps near the camera, but in this part of the country and over where spacex is, hornet is just as likely to refer to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet who are not chill, I will straight up pet bumblebees, politely relocate bees, and rescue mud-daubers that get stuck in the pool by scooping them up so they can dry and fly off.

Fuck bald-faced hornets, and fuck yellowjackets, they get backhanded and stomped and the nest gets burned, they exist to fuck your shit up, so fuck theirs up first!

"But they help control pest insects" so what, I'll leave that to spiders thanks, they're chill, never had a spider decide to come chase me and send a horde of their buddies after me, which to be fair would be horrific, but hornets and wasps do that shit as a matter of course so they get to live in the woods away from me.
Killing hornets/wasps without using something to mask their pheromones is bound to draw their attention. And every single one for miles around even from different hives will head straight there and be angry little stripy bastards.
Bees are so much nicer. Hard to imagine they are related distantly.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2017, 05:30:20 pm »

This interactive graphic on the measured warming/cooling effect of all major factors is masterfully put together. I know it's old but I just camne across it due to it being posted elsewhere:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2017, 05:40:42 pm »

This interactive graphic on the measured warming/cooling effect of all major factors is masterfully put together. I know it's old but I just camne across it due to it being posted elsewhere:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/
I like it, thanks. unfortunately wont stop the nutters screaming about conspiracy and how its the natural cycle or some shit about volcanoes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2017, 12:40:25 am »

A plausible explanation for the Wow! Signal has been found - the hydrogen trails of passing comets.

Now they just gotta figure out which comet it was that the Wow! signal came from in order to confirm for sure.

As a side effect, this could actually be a pretty good detection method of that particular type of comet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2017, 08:46:06 am »

A plausible explanation beats a neat guess any day, though I never knew anyone took seriously the idea that it was aliens instead of something like a massive merger event, shooting ultra high energy particles at us doesn't make much sense for an ET unless there are far more of them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2017, 10:31:27 am »

Given the extreme distances involved, any serious space-faring species is going to need something more advanced than lightspeed comm.

This is like a bunch of cave people asserting that they cant hear drumming or see smoke signals coming from New York, and concluding that the people of new york either dont exist, or that they dont want to communicate.  The fact that the cave people dont have cellphones never dawns on the cave people.

To put it bluntly, we cave people dont have cellphones. We wont be hearing ET any time soon.  We might see their tire tracks, or hear their whizzbang spaceships as they cruise around if they make a lot of noise, but we wont be able to clearly identify them we we did.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2017, 10:35:05 am »

Unless they make a deliberate attempt at communicating in a way we would understand. Such an attempt would likely be from close by (I.E. Inside the Sol System) and very obvious.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 54