Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 590825 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1945 (Design Phase)
« Reply #7290 on: September 03, 2018, 08:29:33 pm »

I don't know if you guys are picturing this differently from me, but I'm seeing this as a design that must not fail. If we don't reclaim air advantage we're losing the desert no questions asked, and it's a painful ride to total defeat from there. Hence why the Hayat is based heavily on the VVF---it should reduce the difficulty as well as making it easier to end up a Cheap fighter. Similar reasoning lies behind the relative lack of features---it needs to be simple to be Cheap.

The Galileo, though, it has lots of features and is a new design entirely. This is neither good for difficulty nor is it conducive to ending up Cheap, and if we fail either check (successful and Cheap, and the more difficult the design is the less likely it is to be either) we're probably going to lose in the desert, which is nothing more or less than game over for us.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: September 03, 2018, 08:39:17 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
UFAF-F-45 'Hayat': (5) Madman, Kashyyk, TheRedwolf, McHuman, Zanzetkuken
UFAF-AAM-45 'Guillotine': (0)
UFAF-F-45 'Galileo' Multi-Role Fighter: (3) ConscriptFive, Powder Miner, Happerry

You know what?  Looking back over it, I like the Hayat a dash more.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7292 on: September 03, 2018, 09:34:13 pm »

I don't know if you guys are picturing this differently from me, but I'm seeing this as a design that must not fail. If we don't reclaim air advantage we're losing the desert no questions asked, and it's a painful ride to total defeat from there. Hence why the Hayat is based heavily on the VVF---it should reduce the difficulty as well as making it easier to end up a Cheap fighter. Similar reasoning lies behind the relative lack of features---it needs to be simple to be Cheap.
No matter how you argue about it, there's no fucking way you could get usable advantage by changing a twin engine aircraft into single engine one apart from what you'd get as regular air experience anyway.
Not to mention, it's "based" off an expensive aircraft, so...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: September 03, 2018, 09:46:47 pm »

UFAF-F-45 'Hayat': (6) Madman, Kashyyk, TheRedwolf, McHuman, Zanzetkuken, NAV
UFAF-F-45 'Galileo' Multi-Role Fighter: (3) ConscriptFive, Powder Miner, Happerry
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: September 04, 2018, 07:25:51 am »

No matter how you argue about it, there's no fucking way you could get usable advantage by changing a twin engine aircraft into single engine one apart from what you'd get as regular air experience anyway.
Meh, see Sensei's post in Discord about fifty messages up. It's based off of and losing an engine compared to such a plane, that's worth at LEAST one Ore and a couple Oil.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7295 on: September 04, 2018, 08:46:16 am »

Meh, see Sensei's post in Discord about fifty messages up. It's based off of and losing an engine compared to such a plane, that's worth at LEAST one Ore and a couple Oil.
I am aware of that message and I still maintain that either misunderstanding on your part, or pretty un-logical ruling.
Also, sure, less engines probably means cheaper, but if you're literally trying to make the same plane but with one engine is probably not going to really make that much difference in terms of difficulty benefit.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: September 04, 2018, 09:58:30 am »

I am aware of that message and I still maintain that either misunderstanding on your part, or pretty un-logical ruling.
Also, sure, less engines probably means cheaper, but if you're literally trying to make the same plane but with one engine is probably not going to really make that much difference in terms of difficulty benefit.

What message is this, for those of us not on Discord?

Anyway, we're very screwed now. The submarines didn't help keep them off our coasts, and this turn we're going to be fighting in two very different environments. I don't quite like the idea of spending yet another design on fighter jets, but it seems pretty unavoidable. No strong opinion yet on which one is better.

For this turn's revision, we should either spend it on cheapening the Noose SAMs (1 less Oil to Cheap) or on a new infantry anti-tank rocket, preferably heat-seeking, which could also see alternate use against Cannalan 'pteros

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: September 04, 2018, 11:58:00 am »

The message I'm referring to is that "You can make a single engine aircraft which is inspired by the general shape/design goals of a two-engine one just fine". Kot insists without actually providing details that you simply cannot make a smaller aircraft (NOTE: The physical size of this aircraft is SMALLER than the VVF, so quit spewing lies about it, Kot) with the same engine as a larger one which uses two of said engine.

In case this is my fault and the design isn't clear (though I tried to make it clear, I'll go put something specific in there shortly):
The Hayat is a 1/2 or 2/3 size version, as small as we can make it, of the VVF, flying on a single engine instead of two. It is, visually and aerodynamically, as close to identical (but smaller) as we can make it. This should retain maneuverability, though if it's any larger than 1/2 we might (logically) lose maximum speed despite the combination of lessened weight and reduced drag.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: September 04, 2018, 09:17:55 pm »

UFAF-F-45 'Hayat': (6) Madman, Kashyyk, TheRedwolf, McHuman, Zanzetkuken, NAV
UFAF-F-45 'Galileo' Multi-Role Fighter: (4) ConscriptFive, Powder Miner, Happerry, helmacon
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: September 04, 2018, 09:19:40 pm »

Sensei has already rolled for the design and is thus presumably writing them up/has presumably started writing them up and will finish tomorrow.

We rolled a 5, by the way. Pray that the design was Normal. Or Hard at worst. Or Easy, at best.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: September 04, 2018, 09:46:53 pm »

5 on a Very Hard is not exactly dogshit either

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: September 04, 2018, 09:50:07 pm »

Yeah but the Cannalans have a delta-and-canards version of an F-16, soooooooooooo we kinda need "actually acceptably good" in order to not just instantly lose the desert and die horrible deaths.

We are still going to die horrible deaths if we take even one step backwards into the desert, aren't we?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: September 04, 2018, 10:02:18 pm »

Quote from: revision
UF-MBT-45 'King Bjorn'

A modernization of the Bjorn tank.

As weapons become more advanced, armor becomes more of a hindrance.  With enemy tandem charges and off-shore missile strikes, the ability to deflect cannon rounds is a less crucial factor.

The King Bjorn maintains the same design as the Bjorn but reduces all armor down two levels to Medium Mangalloy armor (i.e. Heavy Armor level).  This is to reduce the ore costs to something more reasonable while still keeping the vehicle impervious to 30 mm rounds.  The ERA now makes use of the Salamander Pattern F's "Slats+ERA" armor in order to give survivability against enemy tandem charged warheads, and the Artemis's patented Air Conditioning is introduced to keep the internal spaces cool in hot climates (such as the desert).  Optics are improved with the HKMKII's new 8x Eagle Sight III scopes for long-range targeting.  The external smoke launchers can be supplemented with our UF-APS-44 "Burning Tiger" to provide some defense against enemy radar and infrared guided munitions.

If time is available, the turret is modified to facilitate faster manual loading.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: September 04, 2018, 10:26:53 pm »

Survivability against the Bull's cannon is the main reason our Bjorn is good. Remove it's armour and its absolute shit. We already have an okay cheap tank, we don't need another okay cheap tank. Because a bjorn with shitty armour isn't much better than an AS-T33. Because Bjorn is a very very flawed for a light tank.

Maybe if we want a cheaper armoured fighting vehicle we can make a a tank destroyer/assault gun based on the Bjorn but without a rotating turret.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: September 04, 2018, 11:18:57 pm »

Maybe we should fix our ERA?  Make it so that one shot doesn't get rid of it all?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 500