Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591734 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1945 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6915 on: July 22, 2018, 08:35:16 pm »

Quote from: Boat Vox
UFAF-SNB-45 'Tubby Duckling' (0):
Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (1) : 10ebbor10
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (3) : Cnidaros, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (8): eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely, Stabby
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (8) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM, Madman, Kot, McHuman, NAV
UFAF-HB-45 "Spectre" (1) : Zanzetkuken

The legendary dual sunglasses votebox that only appears once every 45000000 posts!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: July 22, 2018, 08:37:12 pm »

I could support the dustbiter if it was made into a multi-person craft. A Co-pilot at the very least.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: July 22, 2018, 08:52:53 pm »

Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (8): eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely, Stabby
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (9) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM, Madman, Kot, McHuman, NAV, Wolfhunter
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: July 22, 2018, 08:58:32 pm »

unguided torpedoes are super inaccurate and therefore ineffective? I suppose WWII Britain had absolutely nothing to fear from those German u-boats then, must have been all exaggeration. Guess things like "leading your target" and trigonometry also don't exist in this universe either? FYI most of the Battle of the Atlantic was fought with unguided torpedoes.
Did W.W.II Britain lose many military vessels to subs? Merchant fleets don't seem to exist in this war, and I was under the impression that unguided torpedoes had far fewer difficulties against transport craft...

Then again, if they invest in torpedoes to hunt subs, they will have wasted that effort when we build ekranoplans...

Here. Sort by type to see warships.

unguided torpedoes are super inaccurate and therefore ineffective? I suppose WWII Britain had absolutely nothing to fear from those German u-boats then, must have been all exaggeration. Guess things like "leading your target" and trigonometry also don't exist in this universe either? FYI most of the Battle of the Atlantic was fought with unguided torpedoes.
Compared to ASMs? Of course they are, that's why as the war went on they were cramming more and more torpedo tubes on, because you needed to fire multiple torpedoes at once to ensure a kill, or so you could engage multiple targets back to back.

If guided anti-ship missiles didn't have a massive advantage in accuracy over torpedoes then they wouldn't have completely supplanted them? What's the point of having torpedoes when anti-ship missiles are available to us right now and they're more accurate, have more range, and just as much firepower as our current torpedoes?

I was not arguing that unguided torpedoes are more effective than ASMs, so quit twisting my words. Yes, ASMs are better. But I don't believe that we'll get a functioning and effective missile submarine this turn (say, one that holds more than a couple of Saltseekers), while we stand a good chance of getting a torpedo one. And because the Cannalans again, have nothing at all to counter a submarine, a torpedo sub would be just as effective as a missile one.

OK, so, U-Boats were deadly. Not so much to prepared military fleets, but it took the British and Americans YEARS to make ASW capable of seriously protecting a fleet if the Germans sent a U-boat wolfpack against one. A gamechanger at this point, however, they won't be. Next turn looks like "Cannala rolls out sonar and a depth charge revision, your mines and subs are now useless, bow before the Cannalan Navy". Even if we then produce a missile sub. A better option would be missile destroyers and a revision to stop our missiles from somehow having worse range than the Cannalan missiles, which might as well be using a flipping LIQUID ROCKET ENGINE for all the efficiency its getting (namely, it is somehow running a ramjet that can have an efficiency of no more than 600 seconds [upper edge of liquid-fueled rockets] and outranging us, while being cheaper and possibly even lighter than our missile. Conventional jet engines have efficiencies in the thousands or better).

The low-altitude bomber is the best option. It allows us to preemptively ignore hostile SAMs, will hopefully be Cheap, and will be capable of all sorts of fun roles (We could, for instance, revise an ARM [anti-radiation missile, flies back along a hostile's radar beam to kill the radar station] this turn, and ruin the enemies' radar systems). However it needs to be carrier-capable, or really REALLY should be, anyway, and I don't think it mentions that.

Cannalan spending both design and revision on sonar and depth charges is the BEST CASE scenario for plan Das Boot. Those two things are completely unsuited against a missile sub, so they'll have wasted their turn while we're up one good missile submarine. Plus, sonar and depth charges alone aren't that effective against submarines, see here and here.

Also, there isn't such a thing as a hard counter in this game. We've introduced radar-guided AA and SAMs, but the Cannalan Chupacabra still has some effect on our troops, as quoted:
The Chupacabra is one advantage of the Cannalans which is great here, and will probably never be completely negated by the variety of defenses now arrayed at it.
If we introduce a submarine to the naval theater, its effect will also never be completely blocked by whatever the Cannalans come up with to counter it. Those countermeasures might be very effective, but then they'll take multiple actions, so we come out ahead in action economy when we obsolete the attack sub with a missile one.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: July 22, 2018, 09:02:23 pm »

One of the best things we can do is keep our designs ahead of the Cannalans. If we make a submarine, we force them to invest in anti-submarine warfare next turn. Like Cnidaros said, that'll both occupy them and not fully nullify the advantage of the submarine. And if they start making their own, we'll be ahead tech-wise for once.

The Cannalans aren't magically better at designs involving naval tech. Just naval combat. If we make a submarine first, then if they make their own we can just improve ours using the head-start gained  from the Archer II.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: July 22, 2018, 09:08:03 pm »

I have one wonderful acronym for you, my fine doubting friend:
RATO.
RATO ain't gonna work if the damn thing is too big for the deck altogether.
I've got an answer for that problem.
SEAPLANES!
I tried man, I really tried. I gave it a corny name and everything. But alas, the seaplanes (and the airships) are not to be.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6921 on: July 22, 2018, 09:14:56 pm »

If only Archer II had a better name. :thinknoose:
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6922 on: July 22, 2018, 09:21:19 pm »

Depth charges are a highly effective antisubmarine weapon, the issue is always with deployment.
Out of 5,174 depth charge attacks by British surface ships from 1943 to 1945 there were 85 kills, to the hedgehog's 268 attacks and 47 kills. That's a pretty significant difference in ratio, one that was possible because pressure hulls in WW2 didn't allow subs to run particularly deep.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMBR_ASW.php

In fact, with the exception of self-guiding sonar torpedoes, almost every single weapon used to sink a submarine is a depth charge. The hedgehog is ALSO a type of depth-charge weapon.
Depth charges are detonated at a specific depth using a timer or barometer. Hedgehogs were contact fuzed weapons.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: July 22, 2018, 09:25:13 pm »

Kill rate has very little to do with an individual device's ability to kill---ask the Hood, Indefatigable, Seydlitz, etc., and then compare that to the 1/500 hit rates of naval guns.

Depth charges are similarly hard to aim---the hedgehog puts a very similar device over wider areas and thus gets more kills. Oh, and it doesn't require you to get right on top of the sub first, either.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: July 22, 2018, 09:28:13 pm »

Miscellaneous improvements for the Dustbiter
-It's probably implied, but might want to state that it's not a single-pilot deal. Crew should be about 3-5.
-Not sure about how powerful aT-J41 engines are, but I don't think we'll be lifting a multi-ton payload on just two of them. It should be a four-engined aircraft.
-I'm pretty sure that if it has a multi-ton payload, it can lift more than a single Saltseeker. The Saltseeker should be around 2 tonnes, maximum.
-If you're looking for greater lift at low speeds but low drag at high speeds, this thing could use a variable-geometry wing. Or not, since that would be extra complexity.
-Include a ground proximity warning system (could be a beeper that goes off if the terrain ahead is closer than a certain distance) just so that our ace pilots can ignore it for coolness points.
-Name it "Low Blow".

Kill rate has very little to do with an individual device's ability to kill---ask the Hood, Indefatigable, Seydlitz, etc., and then compare that to the 1/500 hit rates of naval guns.

Depth charges are similarly hard to aim---the hedgehog puts a very similar device over wider areas and thus gets more kills. Oh, and it doesn't require you to get right on top of the sub first, either.

Then how do you propose we measure whether a system is effective or not? I suppose if we ignore kill rate, there's little difference between a high-powered sniper rifle and a throwing spear. You've been given numerical evidence, but if you want to ignore it then there's no way to settle the debate.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:33:28 pm by Cnidaros »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: July 22, 2018, 09:30:05 pm »

Is the dustbiter carrier capable?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: July 22, 2018, 10:02:45 pm »

Did some minor tweaks to the Spectre after a bit of looking around on tech.  Now uses a double bubble fuselage to cheat a lot more internal space without needing to make the plane massive to help it be cheaper, made the paint optional just in case, and did some tweaking of the payload size.  Spectre can now carry about 4 to 6 Saltseeker Missiles internally, 16-24 of the Noose Missiles, or 32-48 Firecracker PTAB bombs depending on with Turbofans attached or not, if we get a good roll.  I'd wager a 6 Ore (2 Al), 6 Oil (+1 when using Turbofans) cost for it, given the other bombers in existance.  Maybe with a [Complex] when the paint is used.  The stealthy paint version is likely to end up complex due to the paint and thereby NE, but even one would do fair damage to a fleet/air wing given its possible payload.

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6927 on: July 22, 2018, 10:06:16 pm »

Is the dustbiter carrier capable?
Is the Hammer? How?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: July 22, 2018, 10:14:01 pm »

Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (9): eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely, Stabby, Zanzetkuken
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (9) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM, Madman, Kot, McHuman, NAV, Wolfhunter
UFAF-HB-45 "Spectre" :

Rather than hammer win than the Dustbiter.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: July 22, 2018, 10:16:10 pm »

Lackadaisical voting at its finest.
Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (8): eS, Happerry, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely, Stabby, Zanzetkuken
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:22:39 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 500