Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 591681 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1945 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6900 on: July 22, 2018, 06:23:46 pm »

Quote from: Vote Box
UFAF-SNB-45 'Tubby Duckling' (1) : Madman
Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (3) :, Kot, NAV,, 10ebbor10
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (3) : Cnidaros, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (8): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (4) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM

Vote sub for an easy paradigm shift! The first one was built in 1776! There is literally no counter in the entire archipelago! Trash Canner naval advantage and sea based TC! Cannot confirm that subs will affect TC

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: July 22, 2018, 06:42:11 pm »

Quote from: Boat Vox
Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (2) :, Kot, 10ebbor10
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (4) : Cnidaros, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk, NAV
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (8): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely

I do like the Dustbiter. I am voting for the paradigm shift guaranteed naval advantage with no counter for this turn and experience towards a missile sub though.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: July 22, 2018, 06:51:21 pm »

Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (9): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely, Stabby
Might as well secure the vote.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: July 22, 2018, 06:57:20 pm »

UFAF-HB-45 "Spectre"

The first new bomber created by Forenia in fourteen years.  The Spectre utilizes knowledge gained from the innovation of Jet, Radar, and Transport Aircraft technologies, along with making its own strides to become the most effective bomber thus far in the war.  It's sights have been updated to be able to bomb from any altitude it can fly at, and possesses a radar system in the cone of the craft.  The bomber is in possession of six Turboprop engines and four hardpoints that allow for a degree of configuration.  These allow for the bomber to carry either 16 tons of bombs or missiles internally, or add 4 Turbojet engines on hardpoints to boost the internal capacity to the maximum 24 tons internally along with a bit of a speed boost.  The plane is helped in getting this payload despite its comparatively small size thanks to using what is termed a double bubble fuselage, along with careful shaping of the nose to cause the body itself to provide increased lift.  Efforts made on this strange shape of Fusalage allows the wings and tail to have a lower size requirement for the same performance, helping reduce the Radar signature of the craft even further.  The craft is in possession of all countermeasures built by Forenia, including an optional new one of paint using Carbonryl Iron and small balls to create a Radar absorbant paint to reduce its visibility on Radar, utilizing a color to reflect UV light to reduce the lock-on ability of the newest Canallan missiles.

--------------------

By all indications, the Ice Giant would be similar to this, and I picked this as a basis for the above design.  Both have similar spec for width and length, so cost should be roughly the same thanks to the much smaller fuselage of the Convair.  I then downscaled it a bit to make it even cheaper (note that the Convair could carry 39 metric tons of bombs across its four bays, and I'm going with a 26 metric maximum).

As for the Iron Ball paint, well one of the key pieces of a version of tech is Carbonyl Iron, and its powder form that could be used for paint was invented in 1925.

With the degree Hammer is ahead, I'm switching my vote to this.

Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (8): eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely, Stabby
UFAF-HB-45 "Spectre" (1) : Zanzetkuken
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:51:02 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6904 on: July 22, 2018, 07:19:34 pm »

unguided torpedoes are super inaccurate and therefore ineffective? I suppose WWII Britain had absolutely nothing to fear from those German u-boats then, must have been all exaggeration. Guess things like "leading your target" and trigonometry also don't exist in this universe either? FYI most of the Battle of the Atlantic was fought with unguided torpedoes.
Compared to ASMs? Of course they are, that's why as the war went on they were cramming more and more torpedo tubes on, because you needed to fire multiple torpedoes at once to ensure a kill, or so you could engage multiple targets back to back.

If guided anti-ship missiles didn't have a massive advantage in accuracy over torpedoes then they wouldn't have completely supplanted them? What's the point of having torpedoes when anti-ship missiles are available to us right now and they're more accurate, have more range, and just as much firepower as our current torpedoes?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: July 22, 2018, 07:26:18 pm »

UFAF-SNB-45 'Tubby Duckling' (0):
Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (8): eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five, Powder Miner, Parsely, Stabby
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (5) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM, Madman

OK, so, U-Boats were deadly. Not so much to prepared military fleets, but it took the British and Americans YEARS to make ASW capable of seriously protecting a fleet if the Germans sent a U-boat wolfpack against one. A gamechanger at this point, however, they won't be. Next turn looks like "Cannala rolls out sonar and a depth charge revision, your mines and subs are now useless, bow before the Cannalan Navy". Even if we then produce a missile sub. A better option would be missile destroyers and a revision to stop our missiles from somehow having worse range than the Cannalan missiles, which might as well be using a flipping LIQUID ROCKET ENGINE for all the efficiency its getting (namely, it is somehow running a ramjet that can have an efficiency of no more than 600 seconds [upper edge of liquid-fueled rockets] and outranging us, while being cheaper and possibly even lighter than our missile. Conventional jet engines have efficiencies in the thousands or better).

The low-altitude bomber is the best option. It allows us to preemptively ignore hostile SAMs, will hopefully be Cheap, and will be capable of all sorts of fun roles (We could, for instance, revise an ARM [anti-radiation missile, flies back along a hostile's radar beam to kill the radar station] this turn, and ruin the enemies' radar systems). However it needs to be carrier-capable, or really REALLY should be, anyway, and I don't think it mentions that.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: July 22, 2018, 07:35:43 pm »

There's no way we're gonna make a modern jet bomber carrier capable with our current carrier. It's just too small for them to take off from.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: July 22, 2018, 07:36:36 pm »

There's no way we're gonna make a modern jet bomber carrier capable with our current carrier. It's just too small for them to take off from.
I have one wonderful acronym for you, my fine doubting friend:
RATO.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6908 on: July 22, 2018, 07:51:38 pm »

Active sonar is one thing but depth charges were an extremely poor anti-submarine weapon, a more potent threat would be radar equipped long-range patrol aircraft (especially if the Archer II has no snorkel in which case it will be spending a lot of time on the surface), hedgehogs, or deck-launched guided torpedoes.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: July 22, 2018, 07:54:51 pm »

RATO.
RATO ain't gonna work if the damn thing is too big for the deck altogether.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: July 22, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »

Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (5) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM, Madman

Updating the votebox to get the Spectre's link to design.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6911 on: July 22, 2018, 08:00:19 pm »

Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (1) : 10ebbor10
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (6) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM, Madman, Kot
Awww.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: July 22, 2018, 08:12:21 pm »

Active sonar is one thing but depth charges were an extremely poor anti-submarine weapon, a more potent threat would be radar equipped long-range patrol aircraft (especially if the Archer II has no snorkel in which case it will be spending a lot of time on the surface), hedgehogs, or deck-launched guided torpedoes.

Depth charges are a highly effective antisubmarine weapon, the issue is always with deployment. In fact, with the exception of self-guiding sonar torpedoes, almost every single weapon used to sink a submarine is a depth charge. The hedgehog is ALSO a type of depth-charge weapon.

RATO.

Alright fine, maybe you can't make EVERYTHING capable of being launched from a carrier deck.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6913 on: July 22, 2018, 08:24:49 pm »

RATO.
I've got an answer for that problem.
SEAPLANES!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: July 22, 2018, 08:25:53 pm »

Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (1) : 10ebbor10
UFAF-LAB-45 Dustbiter (7) : NUKE9.13, Wizgrot, Andrea, RAM, Madman, Kot, McHuman
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 500